Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Huggable Bear King posted:

These are really cool, can I ask what your exposure/aperture was for these?

f2.8, 30 sec exposure, ISO 1600. More stars showed up in the photos than you could actually see in the sky.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Los Angeles in the morning by xxyzz road, on Flickr
FIX THOSE HALOS BUDDY, this shot deserves your complete attention. Beautiful.

theHUNGERian posted:

After many months of bad weather, equipment problems, and too much work, I finally had a good night to shoot this.
That's some work right there. Good job.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

Second fireworks display in 2 days. I was much happier with this set.

Riverside Park, Neenah, WI by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Many more in the full set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/opusphotography/sets/72157627126031476/with/5906823944/

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
A couple from our local celebration. First is a little blown out, but otherwise I like it.

edit- second would have been better with a little bit of flash but I didn't want to be a dick.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 6, 2011

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Before the First Ferry by torgeaux, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

And another narrowband image. I have been on a roll lately, no bad weather in the last month or so. Now if only it could get colder at night.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geza_kurczveil/5919162915/lightbox/

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I don't even know what's going on with those shots, but I like them a lot. Like this one, too http://www.flickr.com/photos/geza_kurczveil/5262342411/lightbox/

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I don't even know what's going on with those shots, but I like them a lot. Like this one, too http://www.flickr.com/photos/geza_kurczveil/5262342411/lightbox/

Thanks.

That HDR Orion is probably one of my "worst, but liked by many, pictures" as I butchered the color in the nebula (it's supposed to have far more red). That aside, I was more interested in the dust on the left and the blue nebula on the far right, so overall I consider the picture a success. In addition, it made a nice print which wowed my family on Christmas morning.

Since that picture I have become more careful in my shooting schedule. I still shy away from HDR targets, and I tend to target objects where I know I can expose for 3+ hours.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Highly compressed gif of what I did last night, but hopefully with some more time I'll be able to make something really nice out of this set of shots.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some fireworks from here, too. From the Kölner Lichter this year, some half an hour big rear end show. These were taken hand held.

Swed
Sep 25, 2003
the voices sayeth
I live upstream from a dam.

And, while this isn't a night exposure, it is a long (infrared) exposure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does anyone have any advice for shooting lightning?

Storm blew through last night and I set up on the porch, just to get some practice in. After fiddling with settings to get an exposure I could live with, I pointed the camera at a section of sky, and took some pictures.

First problem is bolts always seemed to hit just out of frame.. so I'd turn the camera, and the next bolt would be where the camera used to be pointed. So at that point I put on my widest lens and held the trigger down on my remote.

Is that what most people end up doing? Sit around hoping something neat happens while the shutter is open?

My second problem is it seemed liked bolts always hit in that instant between exposures, proving that nature hates me. I guess the only solution for that would be two cameras with staggered timers.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

xzzy posted:

Storm blew through last night and I set up on the porch, just to get some practice in. After fiddling with settings to get an exposure I could live with, I pointed the camera at a section of sky, and took some pictures.

First problem is bolts always seemed to hit just out of frame.. so I'd turn the camera, and the next bolt would be where the camera used to be pointed. So at that point I put on my widest lens and held the trigger down on my remote.

Is that what most people end up doing? Sit around hoping something neat happens while the shutter is open?

My second problem is it seemed liked bolts always hit in that instant between exposures, proving that nature hates me. I guess the only solution for that would be two cameras with staggered timers.

If you can get away from most city lights, then you just point towards the sky and open the shutter. Once a bolt of lightning hits you close the shutter. Pretty simple.

If you have more city lights or foreground that you want exposed then it gets a bit harder. But keep in mind it's night time usually so you have more time to keep the shutter open.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

xzzy posted:

This is the crux of lightning photography. A wide lens and patience. You're onto it.

EDIT: Sorry, the following is not helpful in any way but I just wanted to say it because it explains why some people get sweet amounts of lightning photos whereas others are left with taking pictures of dark clouds and street lights.

The other thing is, is that where I am, in September/October/November, we have electrical storms literally every night and lightning is no thang. We get everything from sheet to lousy stories of ball lightning chasing cows/sheep that all sound mostly the same and bore the gently caress out of me.

My friend has a lightning gallery. He comes from a place called Lightning Ridge.
http://ridgelightning.com/

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 25, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, city glow is an issue for me, so bulb exposures aren't gonna work.

Getting a cool lightning bolt is just one of those things I want to be able to check off on my list of things to photograph.. too bad they're almost impossible to plan for around here. The storms tend to have really narrow tracks and blow through in under 30 minutes, so if you're not in the right spot, you aren't getting anything.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
You should be able to get pretty long "correct" exposures at f/16 at night. That should help time things, no?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xzzy posted:

Well, you could buy a lightning trigger:

http://www.aeophoto.com/

Or build your own:

http://zedomax.com/blog/2011/03/29/dslr-hack-how-to-make-a-diy-lightning-detection-trigger/

Or if you've got a Canon that CHDK runs on, I think you can just use a motion-detector script to trigger on lightning.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 25, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

You should be able to get pretty long "correct" exposures at f/16 at night. That should help time things, no?

Yeah, that's roughly where I settled. 8 seconds somewhere in the range from f/11-f/22 produced decent images.

The major failure is the lightning rarely hit in frame. I suppose I could use this as an excuse to the wife why I need a wider lens. :haw:

Also, protective gear so I can set up in the rain.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

xzzy posted:

Yeah, that's roughly where I settled. 8 seconds somewhere in the range from f/11-f/22 produced decent images.

The major failure is the lightning rarely hit in frame. I suppose I could use this as an excuse to the wife why I need a wider lens. :haw:

Also, protective gear so I can set up in the rain.

A big umbrella? I usually just do bulb with a remote release. Hold it open for 5-10 seconds if nothing hits then close the shutter and do it again to avoid noise. Once lightning does hit, close the shutter and usually I had a lightning bolt.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dug through all the pictures I took, 230 exposures, this is the only one with any merit whatsoever (and I think that's being generous).

Someday I'll get an amazing lightning shot!

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

xzzy posted:

I dug through all the pictures I took, 230 exposures, this is the only one with any merit whatsoever (and I think that's being generous).

Someday I'll get an amazing lightning shot!

I think you're being too hard on yourself, it's a great lightning photo. Unfortunately you can't always choose a good foreground.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

xzzy posted:

The method I was taught that worked fabulously was this:
-Wide angle lens (my widest is the Tamron 17-50 and on a crop body so it's not really that wide, but it did the job.)
-Tripod, obviously
-ISO 100
-Start at f10 and see how that goes, I wound up going to f8 because they were a little dark.
-Focus just short of infinity
-Shutter Speed 30 sec.
Set up the tripod and aim the camera in the general direction of most of the lightning activity and just keep taking 30 sec shots one after the other, eventually you'll catch something, if you're lucky and there's a lot of lightning you can get more than one strike on the same exposure.
Basically lightning happens too quickly to try and catch it as it happens so you have to fish for it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Sometimes you can get lucky though, I got this shot with a .125 sec exposure just standing out on my front porch. Every other time I've tried it that way the lightning wound up out of frame though.

DSC_0253.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I tried 30 second exposures earlier this month, but the storm was just too far off to get any nice pictures out of it. It was a lot easier to get lightning on film that way though.

e. My lovely time lapse of my 30 second exposures if up on this page too, I really should figure out how to do that with better quality sometime. :effort:

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Here's a few I've snagged over the years. I think the EXIF should be intact.

Tower%20Lightning_lg by Shane Duff, on Flickr

Tower%20Lightning%202_lg by Shane Duff, on Flickr

Lightning%206_lg by Shane Duff, on Flickr

Lightning%202_lg by Shane Duff, on Flickr

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Been doing some night photography lately. Leaving a bit more empty space at the top than I'd like but I'm pretty happy otherwise. Last is cropped a bit.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

The Cocoon Nebula (IC5146) and Barnard 168 Dark Nebula by tmarkuk, on Flickr

About 43x5 minute exposures, and my first proper attempt at astrophotography since the beginning of April. I need to see about having my job moved to the Spanish office, sure the wife and kids won't mind to much.

gh0st
May 24, 2011

East Lake posted:

Been doing some night photography lately. Leaving a bit more empty space at the top than I'd like but I'm pretty happy otherwise. Last is cropped a bit.

fantastic compositions!

slothmeister
May 25, 2011

Light trails at Parliament, London by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

London Eye Long Exposure by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Lighting from a storm two nights ago:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This was my first real attempt at night time shots other than pointing my camera at the sky.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 31, 2011

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt
Very nice. I've been wondering why there isn't more blue hour stuff in here. I like the second one better I think. Nothing against light trails, but when they're covering the whole "subject" of the shot, they're a bit distracting.

PlasticSun posted:

Lighting from a storm two nights ago:

WOAH

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

I love the first shot especially with the green streak going through the frame.

WaffleSteak
May 1, 2004
damn honky

Tempe Town Lake Light Rail Bridge at night- Red by Alan Tippins, on Flickr

Tempe Town Lake Light Rail Bridge at Night B&W by Alan Tippins, on Flickr

Mill Street Light Rail Station - Tempe, Arizona by Alan Tippins, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Jekub posted:

The Cocoon Nebula (IC5146) and Barnard 168 Dark Nebula by tmarkuk, on Flickr

About 43x5 minute exposures, and my first proper attempt at astrophotography since the beginning of April. I need to see about having my job moved to the Spanish office, sure the wife and kids won't mind to much.

Very nice. I like the low noise level.

Here are my attempts from a few nights ago.
http://geza.zenfolio.com/p995757898/had6cbc9#had6cbc9
http://geza.zenfolio.com/p995757898/h2eb7ef92#h2eb7ef92

Not as flashy/colorful but I am a sucker for dark nebulas/dust.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

theHUNGERian posted:

Very nice. I like the low noise level.

Here are my attempts from a few nights ago.
http://geza.zenfolio.com/p995757898/had6cbc9#had6cbc9
http://geza.zenfolio.com/p995757898/h2eb7ef92#h2eb7ef92

Those are beautiful, I really like your heart and Soul image as well, they are on my target list for some point soon, I'm on holiday in the middle of nowhere in the south of France at the end of the month and taking my portable kit with me so that might be the location to do it justice. On the whole I really need to get out into the country more often for my imaging, the middle of town under bright white street lights is not ideal.

As for my image, I'm looking at it now thinking I went a bit harsh on the processing and should have another go. The noise reduction was done using Pixinsights Atrous Wavelet Transform tool. This allows you to tune noise reduction to object scale within the image, normally I use the more blanket ACDNR tool.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

VIR night 1 by kmcormick9, on Flickr

Took this at a 24 hour race

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

What could I have done better? or a lot better?

slothmeister
May 25, 2011

kmcormick9 posted:

VIR night 1 by kmcormick9, on Flickr

Took this at a 24 hour race

Oooooo, that is bloody beautiful, i'm never really a fan of racing trails, but this is lit really well and the different coloured lights look really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Jekub posted:

Those are beautiful, I really like your heart and Soul image as well, they are on my target list for some point soon, I'm on holiday in the middle of nowhere in the south of France at the end of the month and taking my portable kit with me so that might be the location to do it justice. On the whole I really need to get out into the country more often for my imaging, the middle of town under bright white street lights is not ideal.

As for my image, I'm looking at it now thinking I went a bit harsh on the processing and should have another go. The noise reduction was done using Pixinsights Atrous Wavelet Transform tool. This allows you to tune noise reduction to object scale within the image, normally I use the more blanket ACDNR tool.

Thanks.

Dark skies are more rewarding than any accessory in this hobby. I pretty much only shoot from 'blue' or better zones as anything else is a waste of time.

kmcormick9: Nice.

Another pic from last night: NGC 7822