Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

Charlie Mopps posted:

Not really sure if putting on the cut-off faces from the dead counts as actual shapeshifting.

We discussed this earlier in the thread. Part of the description of Arya's transformation makes it sound like they're literally just physically putting the face over hers, but certain parts later on make it clear that's not the case. Namely the fact that when she touches the face, it still feels like her own.

Do you really think the Faceless Men could go around fooling everyone with what are basically just really good rubber masks? And for that matter, how could Jaaqen just "change" his on the fly if that were the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
We still haven't seen any grumpkins or snarks which I'm sure actually exist at this point. I just want to know what the hell they even are!

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Once Jon comes back that's going to be 4 characters coming back to life and with Arya, Mance and probably Mel, 4 who can shapeshift. poo poo's getting dumb.

Can any of those characters shapeshift? What are you talking about? Jon may, or may not, end up being able to control the war stuff, so I guess that's shape shifting...

When do we learn Mance can? Or that Mel can? What are you talking about? I'm so confused.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Cyvasse sounds like a pretty cool game.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Le Woad posted:

Can any of those characters shapeshift? What are you talking about? Jon may, or may not, end up being able to control the war stuff, so I guess that's shape shifting...

When do we learn Mance can? Or that Mel can? What are you talking about? I'm so confused.

Jon: not really face shifting. Bodysnatching, yes, shapeshifting no.

Melisandre: can create glamors so that people look different than they are. This process apparently has some component that causes her jewel to reflect at least some of the pain of the glamorized; her ruby nearly burned her throat before Jon killed fake Mance.

Mance: glamorized by Melisandre. No indication that his Abel persona looked like anything other than himself; he's apparently a rather nondescript-looking person, and nobody south of the wall knows what he looks like, and the vast majority don't even know his real name.

Faceless Men: either a glamor of sorts or some sort of actual shapeshifting; Arya feels her own face, but that doesn't necessarily mean she hasn't gained the physical abilities of the people she's impersonating. Requires that the person one impersonates be dead.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We need to go back and examine every scene where Melisandre's neck ruby is described as throbbing with its own light.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

whowhatwhere posted:

Jon: not really face shifting. Bodysnatching, yes, shapeshifting no.

Melisandre: can create glamors so that people look different than they are. This process apparently has some component that causes her jewel to reflect at least some of the pain of the glamorized; her ruby nearly burned her throat before Jon killed fake Mance.

Mance: glamorized by Melisandre. No indication that his Abel persona looked like anything other than himself; he's apparently a rather nondescript-looking person, and nobody south of the wall knows what he looks like, and the vast majority don't even know his real name.

Faceless Men: either a glamor of sorts or some sort of actual shapeshifting; Arya feels her own face, but that doesn't necessarily mean she hasn't gained the physical abilities of the people she's impersonating. Requires that the person one impersonates be dead.

Yep, this is pretty much what I thought. Glad to hear I'm not the idiot and it's Ratios and Tendency.

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.
I always pictured magic in aSoIaF working as the Earth's magnetic field; it naturally changes poles over time, but in the middle of a switch it becomes weak. Magic stuff like Others and Dragons can only happen in times of the 'magic field' being strong.

This is something I have "made up" in my mind though, the only thing we know for sure is that the strength of magic fluctuates, whether the dragons give magic strength or their birth was possible because of an excess of magic, we don't know.

The only thing I know for sure is that I'll have many years to post impotent theories about aSoIaF before Gurm decides to finish the next book.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I fear the ending of the story will be some sort of Deus Ex Bran, even though Bloodraven said that no matter how many times he tried he could not interact or change the past, somehow I think Bran will find a way.

Also I think Jon was able to read between the lines and knew the letter was from Mance, either thinking that Mance needed help or something. Of course he couldn't admit to the Night's Watch that Mance was still alive and was working to help his sister, so he made it seem like he took the letter personally to get a few trusted people to go with him. Perhaps Mance found a way to use Melisandre's spell or whatever to make himself look like Ramsay.

Koirhor fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 3, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm surprised people complain about the repetition of certain phrases in the book (You know nothing, where do whores go, floppy ears, blood of the dragon, lamprey pies, etc), but I haven't seen anyone complain about the annoying rear end prayers to the Red God or whatever the gently caress. I don't really skim books, especially not these, but goddamn did I get tired of hearing all of that poo poo about light and fire and blah blah blah.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
Keep us warm and toasty!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

EC posted:

I'm surprised people complain about the repetition of certain phrases in the book (You know nothing, where do whores go, floppy ears, blood of the dragon, lamprey pies, etc), but I haven't seen anyone complain about the annoying rear end prayers to the Red God or whatever the gently caress. I don't really skim books, especially not these, but goddamn did I get tired of hearing all of that poo poo about light and fire and blah blah blah.

Well these are prayers, which are generally repetitious anyways, as opposed to phrases the entire continent of Westeros apparently knows and uses at the drop of a hat. If the core tenet of your religion is " the night is dark and full of terrors", I imagine that will be worked into a few sermons here and there.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Le Woad posted:

Yep, this is pretty much what I thought. Glad to hear I'm not the idiot and it's Ratios and Tendency.

I have some bad news...

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I have some bad news...

Cute. Dude you came in with a poo poo post and just straight up invented things. Also, who are these four resurrected main characters you're talking about?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

EC posted:

I actually got more annoyed at the constant use of cock and oval office and "her lips down there" and other juvenile references. And I don't know what kind of sex the GRRM has (if its even physically possible) but I have always remembered I was the one with the penis, and never "forgot who had the cock or who had the oval office."

What a terrible loving description of anything.

edit: This whole book was trash and nothing happened. I gave myself days to think about i before posting but seriously, this was crap. Utter trash and the reviewers that gave it glowing amazing reviews should be fired.

Le Woad posted:

Cute. Dude you came in with a poo poo post and just straight up invented things. Also, who are these four resurrected main characters you're talking about?

Not to defend him but you got Dondarrion (kind of main for a few chapters) Zombie Caitlyn (main) Zombie Gregor/Robert (main) Brienne doesnt die, Rhaegars son suddenly shows up, if Jon lives after being stabbed a dozen times (at least 4) then well that makes more characters... so on and so forth.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 3, 2011

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Yeah, but Dondarrion came back as a pale shadow of himself who died anyway, Cat is all hosed up, "Ser Robert Strong" may only actually be Gregor's torso or part of his skelton, or something, and Jon is probably going to turn into a wight/warg into something/be hosed up somehow too.

I hope Martin just straight up doesn't resurrect Jon at all and instead he wargs into Ghost, stays there permanently, and builds a huge pack of wolves and goes on a rampage. :black101:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ambiguatron posted:

I hope Martin just straight up doesn't resurrect Jon at all and instead he wargs into Ghost, stays there permanently, and builds a huge pack of wolves and goes on a rampage. :black101:

And then meets up with Nymeria, and then the yiffing, yes, the yiffing :grrm:

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I actually got more annoyed at the constant use of cock and oval office and "her lips down there" and other juvenile references. And I don't know what kind of sex the GRRM has (if its even physically possible) but I have always remembered I was the one with the penis, and never "forgot who had the cock or who had the oval office."

What a terrible loving description of anything.

edit: This whole book was trash and nothing happened. I gave myself days to think about i before posting but seriously, this was crap. Utter trash and the reviewers that gave it glowing amazing reviews should be fired.

Not to defend him but you got Dondarrion (kind of main for a few chapters) Zombie Caitlyn (main) Zombie Gregor/Robert (main) Brienne doesnt die, Rhaegars son suddenly shows up, if Jon lives after being stabbed a dozen times (at least 4) then well that makes more characters... so on and so forth.

That's really just one main character that's been "resurrected" and it's Caitlyn. Gregor and Beric aren't main characters (And like it's been pointed out, you can hardly call them resurrected), Brienne never died (Did we actually think she did?), and we don't actually know the truth about Aegon yet.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What was the deal with Dany being told by Quaithe "Beware the perfumed seneschal!" and then we got a huge loving hint about the boat Tyrion was on, called the [something made up] which means "the stinky steward"?

Considering that ship got destroyed, was it just a red herring?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Here's a sneak preview from a Winds Of Winter chapter if anyone's interested.

http://twitpic.com/5zztix/full

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Le Woad posted:

That's really just one main character that's been "resurrected" and it's Caitlyn. Gregor and Beric aren't main characters (And like it's been pointed out, you can hardly call them resurrected), Brienne never died (Did we actually think she did?), and we don't actually know the truth about Aegon yet.

Well brienne was hanging from the neck at the end of AFfC

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ineptmule posted:

Cyvasse sounds like a pretty cool game.

Hear hear, I want a game of Cyvasse. Here's hoping GRRM writes some proper rules and releases it when he finishes the final book and runs out of pizza money.

On the subject of repetition of phrases, I don't mind them. I liked the 'where do whores go' thing because sometimes Tyrion would just randomly say it and the other characters would be totally baffled. It gave me a chuckle. You know nothing Jon Snow is pretty good, because it morphs into Jon using it as 'you know nothing, everyone,' pretty much.

The 'Reek Reek it rhymes with squeak' thing was masterful, it really gave the impression of a mentally fractured, broken individual.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes...But she's not dead, she even says a "word."

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Le Woad posted:

Yes...But she's not dead, she even says a "word."

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the word was? I've heard 'sword', but what's the reasoning behind this?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jakabite posted:

On the subject of repetition of phrases, I don't mind them. I liked the 'where do whores go' thing because sometimes Tyrion would just randomly say it and the other characters would be totally baffled. It gave me a chuckle. You know nothing Jon Snow is pretty good, because it morphs into Jon using it as 'you know nothing, everyone,' pretty much.

The 'Reek Reek it rhymes with squeak' thing was masterful, it really gave the impression of a mentally fractured, broken individual.

I agree with your points on the Reek repetition and "Where do whores go?" But for some reason "you know nothing Jon Snow" seemed to be too redundant. I think Arya's prayer helps tie her back to Westeros, and seems pertinent.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Jakabite posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the word was? I've heard 'sword', but what's the reasoning behind this?

She was asked to make a choice earlier: "The sword [kill Jaime] or the noose".

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Jakabite posted:

She was offered the noose or the sword (aka kill jaime). She chooses the noose. Then when they're hanging Podrick as well, she yells at a single word and appears in ADWD to lead jaime into a trap.

edit: i really shouldnt open the response page, go away, then finally answer the question 15 minutes later. it's just asking for efb

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 3, 2011

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

But that is the point of a cliffhanger, no? To bring you back for the next installment, to find out how the character makes it out alive. That's is why Jon isn't dead(or is, only to be Resurrected). If they die in that book, you're going to see a dead body or some sort of confirmation. Look at Eddard, Catelyn, and Robb. It would be stupid to leave them in peril in one book, and then in the next go, "oh yeah he dead lol".

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
But at the same time, obviously fake death "cliffhangers" are becoming retardedly common at this point and he needs to let them go. It's a cheap and irritating device pretty much 100% of the time.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
Oh, I definitively agree. I think everybody, except for the biggest fanboys, would agree. The guy just seemed confused by the point of cliffhangers.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

But at the same time, obviously fake death "cliffhangers" are becoming retardedly common at this point and he needs to let them go. It's a cheap and irritating device pretty much 100% of the time.

My favorite one of these is when they mention Davos being killed by the Manderlys in AFFC. It was a clear cover as the Manderlys were not nearly that bloodthirsty and had no motivation to anger Stannis by killing his Hand. It was so transparent you could see it 1000 pages and 6 years away.

And then when he finally wrote the Davos POV, it was just Manderly spouting exposition.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Yeah, I agree with that. At this point, they're just getting on my nerves. "Tyrion is surely drowning...TILL NEXT TIME!" is just annoying me now as I know that it's just a cliffhanger that will be resolved a few chapters later. "Bran gets pushed off the wall, no wait, he's okay" worked because, while annoying, it set up a counterpoint to the Ned/Drogo deaths that worked really well by giving you an early false sense of security. In books 4 and 5, it just seems/feels like a bunch of serial cliffhangers, and has long since served its purpose (unless you just like that sort of thing).

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Darko posted:

Yeah, I agree with that. At this point, they're just getting on my nerves. "Tyrion is surely drowning...TILL NEXT TIME!" is just annoying me now as I know that it's just a cliffhanger that will be resolved a few chapters later. "Bran gets pushed off the wall, no wait, he's okay" worked because, while annoying, it set up a counterpoint to the Ned/Drogo deaths that worked really well by giving you an early false sense of security. In books 4 and 5, it just seems/feels like a bunch of serial cliffhangers, and has long since served its purpose (unless you just like that sort of thing).

Maybe GRRM wanted to mimic Dan Brown :v:

Tyrion's worked well, a bit over the top (only missing the 1960s Batman voice over at the end) as he just as easily with out ruining the narrative been saved someone to close out the chapter. It really only was worth it because it set up the Connington grey scale reveal.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of grey scale, is it safe to assume that Shireen's greyscale is going to be fatal?

What would this mean to the overall story I wonder?

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

CornHolio posted:

Speaking of grey scale, is it safe to assume that Shireen's greyscale is going to be fatal?

What would this mean to the overall story I wonder?

Didn't they spend several paragraphs explaining that it's generally not fatal in children?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Didn't they spend several paragraphs explaining that it's generally not fatal in children?

That was combined with "You know nothing!"

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
So I was thinking about that weird scene in the TV show where Pycelle is shown to be putting on an old man act. Now this makes the audience think there's something big in store for him, or that he's a big schemer. Though until he gets offed he doesn't actually do anything? I think Pycelle may replace Qyburn in the series, as there's really not much Qyburn does that Pycelle couldn't do anyway, and he wouldn't have to die in the series where he does in the book, as Varys kills Kevan too.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Mowglis Haircut posted:

So I was thinking about that weird scene in the TV show where Pycelle is shown to be putting on an old man act. Now this makes the audience think there's something big in store for him, or that he's a big schemer. Though until he gets offed he doesn't actually do anything? I think Pycelle may replace Qyburn in the series, as there's really not much Qyburn does that Pycelle couldn't do anyway, and he wouldn't have to die in the series where he does in the book, as Varys kills Kevan too.
That's possible I guess, especially if they don't want to confuse the audience with having too many maesters. But Qyburn was a disgraced ex-maester who was basically insane and only given power by Cersei, which helped show just what a horrendous ruler she was. If Pycelle turns into a loving necromancer, where is that going to have come from? Maybe they could change it so he goes off the deep end after Tyrion imprisons him for a while?

And it's not really correct to say Pycelle "doesn't actually do anything" since after Cersei is imprisoned, it turns out that Pycelle and Harys Swyft are basically ruling the kingdom by putting papers in front of Tommen to stamp.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 3, 2011

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mowglis Haircut posted:

I don't think that will work, but considering the massive change to Qarth and Xaro, I wouldn't be surprised.

One: it's a drastically different character and would be a huge character change. I've always imagined Qyburn as more of a Wyrmtounge-mad-scientist type character.

Two: Qyburn is with Jaime (or in the vicinity) and heals his hand / wrist after it was cut off before Jaime returned to King's Landing.

Third: the "weird Pycelle scene" is more foreshadowing to Tyrion ambushing him in ACoK when he's found in his bedchambers with the serving girl(s?). Right before his beard is shaved and he's thrown into the dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

I'm trying to get a sense of how big the cities on Essos are.

According to this wiki http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/King%27s_Landing. Kings landing is approx 500,000, Lannisport 300,000 with oldtown in between. When Tyroin comes upon Selhorys he initially calls it a city but then downgrades reasoning that by eastern standards it would be a town. Going by this, Volantis and Meereen which seem to be the biggest cities would then be in the millions maybe?

We know that Volantis is big enough to support a fleet of 300-500 dromonds (which if they are anything like byzantine dromonds would be 200 sailors each) for a naval force of at least 60,000 to 100,000. I don't know if theirs enough info on the other free cities to estimate sizes though. Or on cities like Qarth or Asshai.