Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Illegal Username posted:

How much do you weigh walking around? Kinda depends on that.

I walk around at 165lb +/- a pound or so for water weight.

And I recently got more into hill running circuits for cardio. Found an old water-skiing rope and handle, mixed it with a harness and found some training buddies willing to look stupid in front of a farmer's market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have a new ideal of masculinity for y'all to aspire to.

Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai posted:

A certain person was brought to shame because he did not take revenge. The way of revenge lies in simply forcing one's way into a place and being cut down. There is no shame in this. By thinking that you must complete the job you will run out of time. By considering things like how many men the enemy has, time piles up; in the end you will give up. No matter if the enemy has thousands of men, there is fulfillment in simply standing them off and being determined to cut them all down, starting from one end. You will finish the greater part of it.

Concerning the night assault of Lord Asano's ronin, the fact that they did not commit seppuku at the Sengakuji was an error, for there was a long delay between the time their lord was struck down and the time when they struck down the enemy. If Lord Kira had died of illness within that period, it would have been extremely regrettable. Because the men of the Kamigata area have a very clever sort of wisdom, they do well at praiseworthy acts but cannot do things indiscriminately, as was done in the Nagasaki fight.

Although all things are not to be judged in this manner, I mention it in the investigation of the Way of the Samurai. When the time comes, there is no moment for reasoning. And if you have not done your inquiring beforehand, there
is most often shame. Reading books and listening to people's talk are for the purpose of prior resolution. Above all, the Way of the Samurai should be in being aware that you do not know what is going to happen next, and in querying every item day and night.

Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstances. The way of avoiding shame is different. It is simply in death. Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
Where do people get the idea that Crossfit is appropriate training for combat sports?

There are virtually no elite competitors who use Crossfit. What Crossfit is really good at is making you better at Crossfit. That is fine, especially if you enjoy doing it, but if you are expecting major performance improvements you are barking up the wrong tree.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Where do people get the idea that Crossfit is appropriate training for combat sports?

There are virtually no elite competitors who use Crossfit. What Crossfit is really good at is making you better at Crossfit. That is fine, especially if you enjoy doing it, but if you are expecting major performance improvements you are barking up the wrong tree.

Well he was responding to me and I've posted many times before that my general conditioning level is quite low, so maybe someone at a low level like me would benefit from it. I'm not arguing with you because I've never done crossfit, I'm just finding the positives in every reply.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Went to a different krav gym because I moved back to Dallas.

They were teaching gun poo poo to the introductory students and most of the advanced students had never sparred.

:ughh:

Can anyone recommend a good striking gym in Dallas?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I have a new ideal of masculinity for y'all to aspire to.

The Hagakure was written a hundred years after the samurai had stopped engaging in open warfare and is mostly bullshit the guy wrote because he couldn't legally kill himself. 18th century Japanese Emo. If you want some good stuff, read the Book of Five Rings.

Here's the opening:

quote:

I have been many years training in the Way of strategy, called Ni Ten Ichi Ryu, and now I think I will explain it in writing for the first time. It is now during the first ten days of the tenth month in the twentieth year of Kanei (1645). I have climbed mountain Iwato of Higo in Kyushu to pay homage to heaven, pray to Kwannon, and kneel before Buddha. I am a warrior of Harima province, Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Geshin, age sixty years.

From youth my heart has been inclined toward the Way of strategy. My first duel was when I was thirteen, I struck down a strategist of the Shinto school, one Arima Kihei. When I was sixteen I struck down an able strategist, Tadashima Akiyama. When I was twenty-one I went up to the capital and met all manner of strategists, never once failing to win in many contests.

After that I went from province to province duelling with strategists of various schools, and not once failed to win even though I had as many as sixty encounters. This was between the ages of thirteen and twenty-eight or twenty-nine.

When I reached thirty I looked back on my past. The previous victories were not due to my having mastered strategy. Perhaps it was natural ability, or the order of heaven, or that other schools' strategy was inferior. After that I studied morning and evening searching for the principle, and came to realise the Way of strategy when I was fifty.

Since then I have lived without following any particular Way. Thus with the virtue of strategy I practice many arts and abilities - all things with no teacher. To write this book I did not use the law of Buddha or the teachings of Confucius, neither old war chronicles nor books on martial tactics. I take up my brush to explain the true spirit of this Ichi school as it is mirrored in the Way of heaven and Kwannon. The time is the night of the tenth day of the tenth month, at the hour of the tiger (3-5 a.m.)

http://www.bookoffiverings.com/

Nothing self-pitying, nothing about dying well, just a bunch of philosophy on loving bitches up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

But most elite competitors all have custom tailored programs by the very nature of their eliteness, right? What do good competitors do? That might be more relevant.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Xguard86 posted:

even bodybuilders don't do that many curls in a single workout.

Go to W&W, read this book:http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421

Not that it matters in this case but that's not true at all - if you want biceps, do curls.

They're not gonna help much with your training for martial arts but I'd throw in a few sets to keep everything balanced and more aesthetically pleasing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I tried the first day of the Enter the Kettlebell workbook yesterday; my entire body was aching for a few hours and I still have low-level soreness all over today. I have complete confidence that this routine is going to destroy me and then rebirth me as a fitter, head-hitting shoulder-throwing martial arts machine.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

The Hagakure was written a hundred years after the samurai had stopped engaging in open warfare and is mostly bullshit the guy wrote because he couldn't legally kill himself. 18th century Japanese Emo. If you want some good stuff, read the Book of Five Rings.

I just want to be Ghost Dog.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
@ Neirbo
Still, Crossfit isn't the answer for that conditioning issues either. The high intensity work seen primarily in Crossfit is not the answer for all conditioning issues.

kimbo305 posted:

But most elite competitors all have custom tailored programs by the very nature of their eliteness, right? What do good competitors do? That might be more relevant.

Very good point.

I would respond with two questions. First how did the elite get to that elite stage? And second, what are the majority of the sub-elite currently doing? To the first I would answer by doing appropriate progressive overload and using periodization. To the second, you would probably see some Crossfit used but not in any programs that have reliably and consistently been able to progress athletes from sub-elite to elite.

Again, why is it that above all other sports there is this myth that Crossfit will best prepare you for a combat sport? Breaking that down, how are the physical requirements of Thai Boxing the same as Judo? Yet, there is this catch all answer for any who train, give Crossfit a go!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If you really want the best possible grappling workout, figure out what the local college wrestling team is doing. And copy that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Again, why is it that above all other sports there is this myth that Crossfit will best prepare you for a combat sport?

Is that really a prevailing attitude? I didn't know it was.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
my guess is olympic lifts and stuff like kettlebells/bulgarian bag would make a lot of sense for judo as a sport. i'm still unsure about the actual legitimacy of judo as a sport, so you might have to disregard this advice.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

z0331 posted:

Not that it matters in this case but that's not true at all - if you want biceps, do curls.

They're not gonna help much with your training for martial arts but I'd throw in a few sets to keep everything balanced and more aesthetically pleasing.

ya but this dude is doing like 3 separate kinds of curl, 3x10 in the same day, while doing basically zero work on some key areas, like the back. I guess I shouldn't say no bodybuilders do that since I am sure there are some high level guys that basically live at the gym who approach this number after their 6th workout of the day.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1719423&forum=1&page=1&pc=416

Posted this in the UFC thread. Duke Roufus talks striking. Guy's pretty brilliant.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

Went to a different krav gym because I moved back to Dallas.

They were teaching gun poo poo to the introductory students and most of the advanced students had never sparred.

:ughh:

Can anyone recommend a good striking gym in Dallas?

It's a shame there isn't a "Kapap Academy" near you. I made mention of it trying it out since I couldn't agree with a KMW gym contract. It's a krav-maga type franchise, but the trial class I took there was leagues better than I ever did anything at KMW. The instructors were Israeli and really helpful, the moves they taught seemed a lot more practical than the stuff at KMW.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

What do people think of Krav? I've heard unimpressive things along the lines of it being an incomplete art because it's a basic self-defense system similar to Army Combatives and that it's popular with McDojos. I assume people here have had positive experiences?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

NovemberMike posted:

What do people think of Krav? I've heard unimpressive things along the lines of it being an incomplete art because it's a basic self-defense system similar to Army Combatives and that it's popular with McDojos. I assume people here have had positive experiences?

It's highly gym-dependent.

I just moved to Dallas from Austin. I LOVED my gym in Austin. It was mainly focused on conditioning and sparring-- the level 2 and 3 parts of the program were about sparring and fighting other people who did martial arts. They even made an effort to bring in MMA fighters for open gym to work with. The ground work was weak though and the switch to sparring-oriented training was recent (within the past year) so people who had gone through the new level 2 training were wiping the floor with higher-level students.

I've been to two krav gyms in Dallas.

At one of them (under krav alliance), they were doing gun defenses in level 1 classes. I really, really don't like gun defenses.

At the other one, the students were scared to work with me. One of them even told the instructor they didn't want to hold focus mitts for me. I'm 5'9, 160 and was going about 50%. Then they spent 40 minutes working on self-defenses.

I think I may have to go back to muay thai.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 2, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Krav might suck in Dallas but apparently we have a badass Muay Thai coach in Plano:

http://www.saekson.com/class-schedule.html

I am not a striker (bjj) but a lot of the guys who cross train go to Saekson's and say it's great.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
gently caress allergies. I haven't trained on almost two weeks now because the record-breaking summer temperatures here is bringing with it record breaking loving pollen, and my nose is completely clogged 90% of the day-- I could easily remedy this with a cortisone shot, but my terrible doctor is on vacation, and no-one but him can prescribe it for me. Sweet!

Atleast I've had gotten in a couple of rolling sessions with my roomie, and I've been working on a couple of things for fun-- the von flue choke, for one, just because it seems like such a funny technique to pull off. There's also a nice armbar from guard, as shown by fedor in the youtube video I'm linking, at around 1:30. I like it alot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiN7lWU3Dgw

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Is that really a prevailing attitude? I didn't know it was.

In my personal experience it is, and it is really disheartening to see. Not to mention that like the two first responses in this thread to Neirbo's workout question were to try Crossfit.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Bohemian Nights posted:

There's also a nice armbar from guard, as shown by fedor in the youtube video I'm linking, at around 1:30. I like it alot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiN7lWU3Dgw
I love that. Joe Daddy almost got one against... whoever it was that sent him out of the UFC, can't remember. One of our brown belts got standing arm barred in some comp using the same principle as this one and his elbow has been hosed for 6 months so it scares me off trying it till I get proper instruction but boy does it come on quick. Did you see the Fedor vs Hendo fight btw? Very sad :(

Watching the pro's just stand there and execute a throw from a static position has been bad for me as I seemed to forget that good movement helps greatly in getting the opponent off balance and taking their attention off what my hands are doing. A while ago we talked about seoi nage -> kouchi gari and its working great at the moment as a combination but I can't seem to find the posts about the other seoi nage combos that some of you posted. I noticed if I fake a seionage, the low level guys move their right leg forward and drop their weight low and pull back a bit which is perfect for kouchi gari but now everyones used to it (can't say you didn't warn me). My judo book says seio -> ouchi is a good combo but I feel like it won't work out as I have to lunge forward to get to their back leg. I guess my question is should I step in more when I know I'm going to end up doing the ouchi or just let them get used to stepping off the kouchi and then start doing seoi -> kouchi -> ouchi?

And is it worth trying to get a left handed osoto from a double lapell grip to try and surprise some people, or do I really need that left handed grip?
gently caress I'm going to have to start paying some of you.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
The gently caress, my new coach told me my favorite move is illegal in competition and I'd like some judo experts to tell me what they think.

Basically what I do is Tani Otoshi as a counter to a whole lot of throws. When someone attacks me, I will bear hug them into a tani otoshi. Coach told me that the bear hug part was not legal and that the ref was supposed to call mate the second I would "bear hug" my oponent for my tani otoshi. So I need to keep my kumi kata for that. Is this true? Cause gently caress if it is, this move is just engrained so deep into me now. It's the one thing I get people MUCH better than me with consistently.

Nierbo posted:

but now everyones used to it (can't say you didn't warn me). My judo book says seio -> ouchi is a good combo but I feel like it won't work out as I have to lunge forward to get to their back leg. I guess my question is should I step in more when I know I'm going to end up doing the ouchi or just let them get used to stepping off the kouchi and then start doing seoi -> kouchi -> ouchi?

And is it worth trying to get a left handed osoto from a double lapell grip to try and surprise some people, or do I really need that left handed grip?
gently caress I'm going to have to start paying some of you.

Haha yeah, people get used to it unfortunately. First, you can stop faking your seio. Just go for it with all your might a few time. If people are used to you faking it they will get caught by your seio. That's for everything in fact, ideally you'd never fake and just switch when you see that it's not working... But it's not doable for me at the moment. Alternatively, you can fake a seio and then instead of going for the kouchi, go for a real drop seio. Basically, mix it up so they don't see a seio coming and think "ok, I need to protect against a kouchi".

any kouchi-ouchi combo can work if your good/fast enough. Personally I suck at them though. Seio to kouchi to ouchi can work fine, but you need some really good footwork/speed and also keep pushing them and all. Not easy, but doable. I'm partial to uchi mata after a failed kouchi though. I'm the sort of idiot that will do uchi mata to kouchi to uchi mata to kouchi to uchi mata [...] until it works or I get countered. uhuh

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 3, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It could depend on rules for whatever you're competing in as well, in which case your instructor would know the best.

For example, the seoi/kouchi combo recommended earlier is illegal in local junior high tournaments here.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

The gently caress, my new coach told me my favorite move is illegal in competition and I'd like some judo experts to tell me what they think.
I'm clearly no expert but could it have something to do with grasping your hands behind their back? Theres a somewhat related discussion about it here.

KingColliwog posted:

Personally I suck at them though. Seio to kouchi to ouchi can work fine, but you need some really good footwork/speed and also keep pushing them and all. Not easy, but doable. I'm partial to uchi mata after a failed kouchi though. I'm the sort of idiot that will do uchi mata to kouchi to uchi mata to kouchi to uchi mata [...] until it works or I get countered. uhuh
Thought so. I think I'm definitely at the point where I need to sharpen up my foot work and stop trying to incorporate every single thing into my game.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 3, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

I'm clearly no expert but could it have something to do with grasping your hands behind their back? Theres a somewhat related discussion about it here.
Thought so. I think I'm definitely at the point where I need to sharpen up my foot work and stop trying to incorporate every single thing into my game.

FUCKK!! URA NAGE IS ILLEGAL TOO lol, drat my life just got ruined :( I'm such a fag for counter done with bear hugs. I mean it's effective, I don't grab the leg, let me do them damnit!

Seriously all these stupid rules are pissing me off. I was sort of ok with not grabbing the legs. Sure it removed some of the techniques I really liked and I think it's stupid to remove some techniques but I could sort of understand why it was done and I was happy to live with it. But now I can't use my precious bear hug Tani Otoshi (seriously, it's just 10000 time faster/easier/more effective done in a bear hug "kumi kata" than with the "regular grip") and Ura Nage as a whole seem to not be too kosher... That's the kind of poo poo that will end up making me switch to BJJ as my main sport. I'm seriously mad at this crap, I don't care that it looks like wrestling, I don't care that it's not "proper judo (whatever that means)"... It just makes people get away with stuff they shouldn't. This is how I feel right now : :krakken:

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 3, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

tarepanda posted:

For example, the seoi/kouchi combo recommended earlier is illegal in local junior high tournaments here.
Out of curiosity, what rule does that break?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Nierbo posted:

Out of curiosity, what rule does that break?

I'm not entirely sure, but one of the sensei pointed out that the hand by the opponent's thighs would be called as a hansoku.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

tarepanda posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but one of the sensei pointed out that the hand by the opponent's thighs would be called as a hansoku.

I did it by grabbing the thigh before, but now I just lift my hand up over the belt and use my elbow and arm to "squeeze" the leg sort of. Not as effective as what I did prior to the rule change, but I don't see how it could be considered hansoku if you never put your hand lower than the belt

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

tarepanda posted:

Ah ok. I've had to change my technique and grab as high as possible to avoid their pants. Still works reasonably well but I can see it working better before the new rules.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
It was so sweet before the rule change. You just sort of wrapped your arm from their hip to behind their thigh, grabbed the pants and just threw yourself into them while lifting/holding their leg with the power of your arm and legs. Wasn't all that pretty but it was solid

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

Basically what I do is Tani Otoshi as a counter to a whole lot of throws. When someone attacks me, I will bear hug them into a tani otoshi. Coach told me that the bear hug part was not legal and that the ref was supposed to call mate the second I would "bear hug" my oponent for my tani otoshi. So I need to keep my kumi kata for that. Is this true? Cause gently caress if it is, this move is just engrained so deep into me now. It's the one thing I get people MUCH better than me with consistently.

Here's how it has been explained to me in referee meetings for how to call it...

Your coach is right, a bear hug from the front is illegal. It's illegal as soon as you cross your arms behind the back, whether you grasp your hands or not. You don't get penalized (for the first time), it is just a "matte". If it happens a second time from either Judoka in a match, it is a shido. However, hugs from the side or back are perfectly legit and will score.

You shouldn't be doing a hug for Tani O-toshi anyways. But if you are doing a hug and leg block from the front then you aren't doing a tani-o-toshi, you are doing an o-soto-gake with a hug. If you really are somehow doing Tani-Otoshi with a bearhug, then you are doing the hug from the side, which means it is totally legal and you have nothing to worry about.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

FUCKK!! URA NAGE IS ILLEGAL TOO lol, drat my life just got ruined :( I'm such a fag for counter done with bear hugs.

Ura Nage is performed from the side or back, and is 100% legal.

Nierbo posted:

Ah ok. I've had to change my technique and grab as high as possible to avoid their pants. Still works reasonably well but I can see it working better before the new rules.

You can grab pants as part of a counter or a combo. The only caveat is that it has to be a legit counter or combo, not a halfassed first move like most people do. For example, Uchimate-Sukashi is still legit, even with the rule change.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 3, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

You can grab pants as part of a counter or a combo. The only caveat is that it has to be a legit counter or combo, not a halfassed first move like most people do. For example, Uchimate-Sukashi is still legit, even with the rule change.

Ohhhh, I see. thanks for clearing that up. I feel better now :D

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

If you really are somehow doing Tani-Otoshi with a bearhug, then you are doing the hug from the side, which means it is totally legal and you have nothing to worry about.

great. thank you. I am indeed doing it from the side

Thoguh posted:

I would never do it in a comp though, your disqualified automatically if the judge makes a bad call

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
For anyone in the Southern California area there's a new gym in Seal Beach, Gracie Fighter OC.

It's kind of an odd setup, in the side of the Affliction warehouse there, but the mats are nice and huge, there's lots of weight and cardio stuff, a ring, and an octagon. Everything is pretty spankin' new and it's not crowded yet.

Jason Manly and Mike Guymon are co-running it, Jason has been there doing BJJ and wrestling both times I've gone. He's super chill and a fuckin time travelling wizard in rolling.

More importantly he's been really good about correcting bad technique when he sees it, takes the time and is a nice guy all around.

I've hit my bodies two day in a row limit and I'm pretty busted up but I think I'll be making it my regular gym, I really dig the facility.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Does anyone know of a decent boxing gym in West/Southwest London?

Everywhere seems to be in the east and/or north, and with my current employment situation that's not really practical.

Likewise for the same reasons BJJ and places like London Shootfighters are probably out of the equation, bah!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

Does anyone know of a decent boxing gym in West/Southwest London?

Everywhere seems to be in the east and/or north, and with my current employment situation that's not really practical.

Likewise for the same reasons BJJ and places like London Shootfighters are probably out of the equation, bah!

I don't know if its what you're looking for, but the Budokwai is in west London, and is a pretty famous Judo club, and I believe Roger Gracie does some work there as well.

http://www.budokwai.co.uk/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Illegal Username posted:

If i feel like i should up my cardio training i do this:

Run up to the ski jumping hill at Puijo.
The run up and down the stairs that lead to the towers until i feel like puking.

What the gently caress dude, you are not running up those :haw:

That was the best post ever.

when I feel like upping it, I run up an airplane!!!

Also my cardio has really fallen to some extremely bad limits during the past month's, should I run or just attempt boxing 10 rounds a day to up my sparring cardio? Goddamn cigarettes...

• Locked thread