Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pocketwatch
Apr 26, 2008

Symptomless Coma posted:

As am I - let's trade...

Sure. What's your account?

For wikis, I usually use the Wikidot one, though I suppose it doesn't matter much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

pocketwatch posted:

For wikis, I usually use the Wikidot one, though I suppose it doesn't matter much.

at jamescmitchell. If I don't find an SC soon I'm going to have to start putting wanted posters up...

pocketwatch
Apr 26, 2008
So apparently it's a lot of work to steal from the museum of mistakes in addition to costing 400 cryptic secrets. Bieeardo, sorry for asking you twice; I thought it would just be a single skill challenge. Who else has high shadowy and persuasive and is willing (or bored enough) to help me with the last theft?

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

I was allowed this account on the condition that I never post.

pocketwatch posted:

So apparently it's a lot of work to steal from the museum of mistakes in addition to costing 400 cryptic secrets. Bieeardo, sorry for asking you twice; I thought it would just be a single skill challenge. Who else has high shadowy and persuasive and is willing (or bored enough) to help me with the last theft?

I'll do it. I did a shadowy run for someone before, and I'm curious to try out the persuasive run. @djcrashoverride

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009
I haven't heard anything from Failbetter Games, but it seems like the Tournament of Lilies is out since I just drew the card to unlock it. If anyone else at level one wants to hit me up for a challenge I will gladly accept.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

pocketwatch posted:

So apparently it's a lot of work to steal from the museum of mistakes in addition to costing 400 cryptic secrets. Bieeardo, sorry for asking you twice; I thought it would just be a single skill challenge.

No worries. I didn't realize it would take most of a day's turns either, but it was a new experience for me. :)

In other news, I really appreciate that they've added another repeatable arc to Wilmot's End, apparently involving Watchful, ending in Whirring Contraptions and Strong-Backed Labour, and briefly tying in with Mrs. Clathermont if you've picked through the intermittent bits of lead-up to that.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 2, 2011

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
Just started up again if anyone needs help with starveling kitties or anything else. Also looking for tournament players. Name is madjnunofirem.

Wilmott Snipes fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 2, 2011

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Twilly posted:

I haven't heard anything from Failbetter Games, but it seems like the Tournament of Lilies is out since I just drew the card to unlock it. If anyone else at level one wants to hit me up for a challenge I will gladly accept.

The challenge has been accepted, may the best plant cutting win!

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Just started playing, username is Davos.

Glad to finally see an actual well written and interesting game of this type. These things are great to play at work since I only have to pay attention once in a while and they actually encourage me to get back to work while I wait to earn more actions, but every other type has bored me after a day or two.

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009
My plant has proved unmatched in strength, are there any out there who think theirs' can best mine in a trial of cunning?

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Twilly posted:

My plant has proved unmatched in strength, are there any out there who think theirs' can best mine in a trial of cunning?

Good match! My plant received a sound drubbing. Think I will beef it up a bit before I try again.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
@bieeanda has a plant, and a desire to pit its deep-rooted strength against another. Do I hear a challenger?

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

We shall see who's cutting is more verdantly vigorous!

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

pocketwatch posted:

Four boxed cats, four bouts of scratching to the face. Though I admire your dedication, sir :)

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Anyone know of any full (or rather, normal) games with a similar atmosphere or setting to this? I really love the whole feel of victorian London but I don't know of many uses of this setting other than those lovely Sherlock Holmes games or the 'real' parts of Alice: Madness Returns

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009

rev.justin posted:

Good match! My plant received a sound drubbing. Think I will beef it up a bit before I try again.

Thank you for the challenge and the secrets! I am now looking for a Contest of Blood! I'm curious to know what will be at the end of this tournament.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I have like ten million 'friends' on my list but very few who actually play anymore. Anyone wants to add me for shenannigans, hit up @cyberasylum and throw whatever at me.

pocketwatch
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Spooky posted:

I'll do it. I did a shadowy run for someone before, and I'm curious to try out the persuasive run. @djcrashoverride
Ok, I got distracted by a couple of quests, but I've sent you the request now.

By the way, for anyone who needs to get rid of nightmares, there's a neat option in the shuttered palace at persuasive 82. You can get a commission to do a royal portrait, and there's an option to be trained by artists at the cost of 5 honey that raises progress and reduces nightmares. The quest is probably repeatable.

(still need cats)

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

I was allowed this account on the condition that I never post.

pocketwatch posted:

Ok, I got distracted by a couple of quests, but I've sent you the request now.

By the way, for anyone who needs to get rid of nightmares, there's a neat option in the shuttered palace at persuasive 82. You can get a commission to do a royal portrait, and there's an option to be trained by artists at the cost of 5 honey that raises progress and reduces nightmares. The quest is probably repeatable.

(still need cats)

Great. I'll get on that tomorrow :)

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Hmm... I had received a starveling cat from the pass the cat thing, but I used it up apparently getting some rats out of my house. I think I need another one now, since I assume that isn't the main thing you want one for.

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

"There were no survivors, including the puppy."
Looking for help with Starvelings Cats and Tournament of Lilies (Contest of Cunning). @Ouroborus777

pocketwatch
Apr 26, 2008
I've found a useful mission for watchful characters who don't want to deal with nightmares. "track down a spirifer" in ladybones is great because it doesn't raise any menace, and with stat-penalizing items you can grind from 53 well into the seventies on it. After that, there are a couple of missions in the forgotten quarter which raise suspicion instead of nightmares - not perfect, but at least a card sends you to prison unexpectedly you'll keep your dreams.

Ouroborus777 posted:

Looking for help with Starvelings Cats and Tournament of Lilies (Contest of Cunning). @Ouroborus777

Sure. I'll send you the one I have... [edit] though you're not showing up on twitter. Could you add me so I can send it?

In the future, since I seem to get several cats per day, I'll write down anyone who sends me a boxed cat and send them my next one in return. That way we'll all benefit.

vvvvvvv I'd like a starveling cat too. Several, if what I hear about that quest is correct. vvvvvvv

pocketwatch fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 8, 2011

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value
Thanks to a mysterious benefactor, I have a Starveling Cat.

But it's starting to outstay its welcome. Anyone fancy taking the damned thing off me?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with taking in boxed cats, starving cats, confessions, injury victims, etc. That feels like a better way to use points than to try to grind my way to 6000 whispered secrets.

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

pocketwatch posted:

Sure. I'll send you the one I have... [edit] though you're not showing up on twitter. Could you add me so I can send it?

Not sure why I don't show up in twitter's search. http://twitter.com/Ouroborus777 seems to work though. Anyway, I sent off the request...

Need at least 5x Starveling Cat. Mr. Eaten's name is pretty expensive.

(I have a theory about his name. I think the reason the Masters have pseudonyms and the reason they're called the Masters has to do with their knowledge of the Correspondence. That Mr. Eaten seems the most insane of the Masters, and the reason we have the opportunity to find his name at all is because Mr. Eaten is/was less successful/lucky at figuring out how to master the Correspondence.)

As for my Lily, I'm up to "Contest of Blood" now...

Ouroborus777 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 9, 2011

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh poo poo

I was dating the Once-Dashing Smuggler and enjoying the storyline a lot, then I got a card going 'seek advice from [various people]'. One was the Affectionate Devil, and beside it was written 'this will end the affair'. I thought it meant the affair with the Devil, who annoys me constantly with his stupid opportunity cards. Whoops, the Devil apparently hosed up the Smuggler and my romance with him is gone. Godammit. :( I'm more pissed off than when I failed my low-risk challenge with Investigating quality at 25.

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009

Ouroborus777 posted:

As for my Lily, I'm up to "Contest of Blood" now...

Trying to challenge you to a Contest of Blood but it won't let me :(

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

Twilly posted:

Trying to challenge you to a Contest of Blood but it won't let me :(

I don't show up on the list of potential challengers? Odd. I just now picked up the Morelways 1872 needed to make the challenge myself. So, Bulbasaur, I choose you!

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009

Ouroborus777 posted:

I don't show up on the list of potential challengers? Odd. I just now picked up the Morelways 1872 needed to make the challenge myself. So, Bulbasaur, I choose you!

My poor plant just cannot hold its alcohol :(.

I am now re-seeking a Trial of Cunning! I didn't realize losing dropped you a level in the tournament, that's pretty brutal. I hope whatever the prize is at the end is worth it.

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

Twilly posted:

I am now re-seeking a Trial of Cunning! I didn't realize losing dropped you a level in the tournament, that's pretty brutal. I hope whatever the prize is at the end is worth it.

Ouch, I wasn't aware of that either.

Also, I was kinda surprised. My gut was telling me that I was going to lose. I wonder what else it lies about. Possibly that cake. Nah.

Now looking for a challenge in the Contest of Mysteries!

Ouroborus777 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 10, 2011

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Twilly posted:

I am now re-seeking a Trial of Cunning! I didn't realize losing dropped you a level in the tournament, that's pretty brutal.

Jesus hell. Everything about that drat plant has to be a pain in the rear end, doesn't it?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

It really is stupidly expensive and a pain in the rear end. A few months ago I accidentally clicked the option to get rid of it around level 6. Ugh.

Anyway I need someone to challenge to a Contest of Strength. My twitter is Wachepti. I'm friends with a bunch of you but so many are inactive :(

e: So it seems Wilmot's End is the best place to grind Dramatic Intrigue(which can be used with any other high end Dramatic Intrigue quest which is kind of weird). What do you guys think?

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 10, 2011

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll accept your challenges.

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009

Wachepti posted:

e: So it seems Wilmot's End is the best place to grind Dramatic Intrigue(which can be used with any other high end Dramatic Intrigue quest which is kind of weird). What do you guys think?

Yeah, I've been abusing this in the War of Assassins. Wilmot's End has options for all four primary stats and doesn't require you to travel around. It's a great way to get a bunch of the Bazaar Side-Streets items, but honestly everything to do with that area bothers me. It's a ton of grinding, the rewards aren't that great, and the story material to go along with them is pretty thin.

I hope there'll be a major content update soon that introduces some new areas and raises the stat-caps.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

A student posted:

I'll accept your challenges.

I followed you on Twitter but you're not showing up in my list. Try challenging me?

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

Wachepti posted:

It really is stupidly expensive and a pain in the rear end. A few months ago I accidentally clicked the option to get rid of it around level 6. Ugh.

Oh, man, I did that once; I was so pissed off.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Twilly posted:

Will do a rematch after my actions refill. My plant is stronger and well third time's a charm I hope. :ohdear:

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

I guess I also got teh facebook for those of you who swing that way.

http://www.facebook.com/Ouroborus777

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009

rev.justin posted:

Will do a rematch after my actions refill. My plant is stronger and well third time's a charm I hope. :ohdear:

And my plant is back to needing a Trial of Strength. My plant is the biggest scrub in this tournament :argh: Out of curiosity (i.e. to confirm this isn't luck based) was your Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant quality <14 the first time and >=14ish this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Well I just challenged you and my plant is only at 10 so it should be a walk in the park for you.