Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Nope, not pregnant. My period started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hello lady goons. I asked this in the pregnancy thread, and was referred here, so hoping you all can help me out. :)

I am thinking about joining you all in this thread come January or so. I am just looking for information on what I should be doing between then and now to prepare myself.

-How do I decide what doctor to choose? Is there a list of questions somewhere to ask? I know I want as natural as a birth as possible.

-Are doctor's going to find it weird if I start calling up and asking all these questions before I am pregnant? When we do decide to start trying, I want to have the Dr. already picked out so I don't have to deal with deciding after I am pregnant. Is this normal?

-When do you typically do a preconception visit (how far in advance?)

-How long before I start trying should I be on prenatal vitamins? I think I remember reading you were supposed to start those before you start trying so you have a good baseline of folic acid in your system

-Good books and resources for me and my husband to look through?

-What else should I do between now and January?

I apologize for the stream of questions, I am just a little lost about what needs to be done before starting to try, and the more I think about it the closer January seems.

sheri fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 31, 2011

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've already visited the birth center I want to use and I'm not pregnant yet. I like to be prepared.

I get my insurance this week! I can finally go to my gyno again.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

sheri posted:

-How do I decide what doctor to choose? Is there a list of questions somewhere to ask? I know I want as natural as a birth as possible.

-Are doctor's going to find it weird if I start calling up and asking all these questions before I am pregnant? When we do decide to start trying, I want to have the Dr. already picked out so I don't have to deal with deciding after I am pregnant. Is this normal?

-How long before I start trying should I be on prenatal vitamins? I think I remember reading you were supposed to start those before you start trying so you have a good baseline of folic acid in your system

I apologize for the stream of questions, I am just a little lost about what needs to be done before starting to try, and the more I think about it the closer January seems.

I started taking prenatals right after my miscarriage which was about 3 months before we actively started trying. I tried to cut back on caeffine and alcohol as much as possible and generally be as healthy as I could. Went and had a doctor visit about 3 months before for all the preconception stuff. I had the practice I wanted to use and the doctor I wanted lined up from previous gyno visits.

That being said, I thought I was totally prepared and had everything planned. I don't know about everyone else, but just about anything and everything changed. I'm definitely one to have my ducks in a row but once I actually got pregnant my whole plan got scattered in the wind. I guess the best advice I can give is don't have things absolutely set in stone because they are bound to change and definitely don't stress about it. Have a good idea of what you want but be flexible. Pee on some ovulation sticks to help you get your timing right if you aren't sure about other signs of ovulation. Plus peeing on sticks is just kind of fun, as I'm sure others in this forum will agree. The doctor I wanted wasn't available at the office I go to anymore but I have another one with the same practice that I really like.

The other way I see it is, if you don't have the perfect amount of folic acid or vitamins or whatever else, don't freak. I had to keep in mind that yes, it is healthier to do it that way, but how many drunken morons get knocked up everyday and haven't got any of that? More than a handful by my count. If you know going into baby making that you're going to be indeed making a baby, then you're a step ahead of a lot of people. Just relax and have fun and enjoy getting to that point. Sometimes it happens when you least expect it.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

sheri posted:

I am thinking about joining you all in this thread come January or so. I am just looking for information on what I should be doing between then and now to prepare myself.

Finding a doctor can be tough, depending on your area and how c-section happy it tends to be. I've liked having a midwife for all my prenatal care, and you'll probably find more support and experience with natural births by going that direction. I was briefly on the waiting list for the birth center, so I had my first visit with a well-regarded OB, but the different between the "first" appointments was vastly different. My midwife actually sat down with my husband and I for about an hour to answer questions and get to know us, whereas the OB had about 10 minutes for us, which included the time it took to take a pap smear. I like that I still have the option of going to the hospital should I need/want to, but that I'll be laboring in a place that supports and has so much experience with natural birth.

I didn't do a preconception visit, and I'm not even sure if its recommended, assuming that you're young, and in good health, etc. And on the subject of good health - go ahead and start taking the prenatal vitamins now. It can only help. If you're overweight, work on getting in better shape in the next few months. It'll come in handy, I promise you. I lost quite a bit of weight right before I got pregnant, but at the moment I'm wishing I had done more core strengthening to help cart this belly around.

As far as resources go, I don't particularly recommend "What to Expect" though it seemed like everybody (mom, MIL, etc.) wanted me to buy that book anyway. I feel like it's awfully dumbed down, and that the information at Mayo Clinic website was more than sufficient. I'm doing the Hypnobabies home study course for the birth, because it came so highly recommended. I'm enjoying the practice sessions, and there's a ton of awesome birth stories on their Yahoo group.

Honestly, you can do all the research you want (I'm a planner, too), but it'll basically boil down to "have sex" & "live healthily." Remember, stressing out over getting pregnant will hurt your chances of actually getting pregnant. And if you think about it, the vast majority of the people in the world having kids are doing just fine even when skipping step two altogether. Maybe try a transitional few months of "not particularly trying to get pregnant, but not preventing it either."

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
My husband approached me about starting the whole "kids" thing again. We did have a three year moratorium on it, but things are much better in our lives. No one is laid off, we're both done with school, and we're moving to a better neighborhood.

I thought I might possibly be knocked up, but I started my period. We haven't used birth control in a while, so we'll see.

I hope we don't run into infertility. Apparently my progenitors had a lot of trouble, but perhaps that didn't get passed down to me.

Edit: I just bought a bunch of ovulation tests online. We'll try this first!

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 1, 2011

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Gumby Orgy posted:

things are much better in our lives. No one is laid off, we're both done with school, and we're moving to a better neighborhood.

As a welfare caseworker, I'd say that your chances are low. Try having bad, drunk sex and as soon as he finishes, your husband needs to stand up and say, "it's a good thing you aren't pregnant, because we just lost our jobs and discovered how awesome meth is!"

That should help your chances.

All kidding aside, it's pretty frustrating to not have luck conceiving while day in and day out you have people with no means of supporting themselves coming in and saying, "welp, looks lie we did it again!"

It's not as bad for me, since I don't really like kids, but my wife really wants them and I have a coworker who has been trying for 2 years. The guy is almost done with his MBA and he has to take all of the "um, I got drunk at a party and now I need an abortion" applications. The dude just about burst a vein in his forehead last week (3 weeks after 4th of July weekend).

ah well, looks like we got a call and the wife has to get her gallbladder yanked in the morning. Delay of Game. 5 week penalty.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Oh boy another hard day. Two facebook pregnancy announcements, one has twins, one its their second child and she got pregnant around the time we started trying with her first one, and my coworker with the harpy for a wife showed me his first ultrasound picks and I had to pretend to be happy for him. I almost started crying at my desk when he walked away.:suicide:

The good news is I now officially have health insurance and I have an appointment with the gyno on the 23rd.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Got my period, so I guess I'm not pregnant.

EDIT: Also, my husband is awesome. When I told him I got my period, his response was "Well, I guess that means it's sushi and wine night." I've been abstaining from all the stuff you're supposed to avoid since ovulation-time, and he knows I've been missing it.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 3, 2011

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Mnemosyne posted:

Yeah, one of the things that happens when you first start trying is that you start paying attention to bodily changes you would usually ignore. And everything is a possible pregnancy sign.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

slinkimalinki posted:

Yeah, one of the things that happens when you first start trying is that you start paying attention to bodily changes you would usually ignore. And everything is a possible pregnancy sign.

I was just thinking about this in relation to me. Food craving? Random nausea? Tiny weight gain? Extra weirdness in the girly bits? It's overanalysis city over here.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Husband: "I'll be really glad when you don't have periods for nine months." :pervert:

What is the verdict on those chewable prenatal tablets? I bought some tonight along with my usual chewable calcium+vitamin D supplement. They seem to have everything you need in a prenatal except iron. I don't take vitamins with iron in them anyway because the iron causes really awful constipation.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I get the Target gummy vitamin knockoffs and I LOVE them. I took them to my doc and he approved them as well. Around my 12th month of taking them, they got less exciting, but they still taste good and don't give my stomach any problems.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Mnemosyne posted:

EDIT: Also, my husband is awesome. When I told him I got my period, his response was "Well, I guess that means it's sushi and wine night." I've been abstaining from all the stuff you're supposed to avoid since ovulation-time, and he knows I've been missing it.

Awh. Sounds like a WONDERFUL husband. Lucky you!

Gumby Orgy posted:

What is the verdict on those chewable prenatal tablets? I bought some tonight along with my usual chewable calcium+vitamin D supplement. They seem to have everything you need in a prenatal except iron. I don't take vitamins with iron in them anyway because the iron causes really awful constipation.

My doctor approved Sour Gummy Flinstones vitamins (just with a folic acid supplement.) I love eating candy for my vitamin! She says that she always recommends Flinstones if a woman's stomach can't handle the regular prenatals.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Gumby Orgy posted:

Husband: "I'll be really glad when you don't have periods for nine months." :pervert:

I took them while trying to get pregnant. Once I was actually pregnant, my doctor switched me to a Rx prenatal that contains iron. The only criticism of them that I've heard aside from the lack of iron thing is that they contain retinyl palmitate which is a synthetic form of vitamin A (as opposed to vit A derived from plant sources such as beta carotene). Some people say that too much retinyl palmitate can cause birth defects. There hasn't been enough research done to really make a case for or against it though. I'm 21 weeks along with no evidence of any birth defects so far and I still occasionally take the gummies when I run out of the Rx prenatals. My doctors main concern was the lack of iron (and yes, the new prenatals constipate me) not the synthetic vitamin A.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
:supaburn: Help!

My wife and I are trying to conceive. Her sister is ridiculous and likes to take snake oil herbal remedies for everything in life. So...she gave my wife some Blue Cohosh which she's been taking daily for the last month. Which it turns out (surprise) is retarded, and is probably reducing our chances of conceiving because it should be used to help induce labor and may cause birth defects. I've even read accounts of people taking to terminate a pregnancy. :doh: I told her to throw out all the stupid crap her sister gave her and only take what her OB tells her to.

So, does anyone have any advice or any idea of what this crap was doing to my wife's body and how it may be effecting our conception?

e. Well, she talked to her OB's nurse who sort of allayed our fears. This poo poo is ridiculous. Oh, and What to Expect when You're Expecting serves no purpose other than to instill an absurd paranoia into all women who read it. Men, destroy this book by any means possible.

standardtoaster fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 3, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

standardtoaster posted:

Oh, and What to Expect when You're Expecting serves no purpose other than to instill an absurd paranoia into all women who read it. Men, destroy this book by any means possible.

Hah, that's the drat truth. I really disliked that book and stopped reading it after my first trimester. It's a good thing I'm not a hypochondriac.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I randomly got a copy of What to Expect in the mail about a year and a half ago from what turned out to be a parking lot in Sacramento, CA. I've been thumbing through it lately because we're in the maybe-baby kind of way. I told my husband that it is probably the worst book ever written on the subject of childrearing and that I hope the people who wrote it were sterilized for being too stupid to gently caress. He didn't believe it could be that bad until I showed him the part on naming your child. That book is going to be burned.

By the way, if someone happens to want my copy, please PM me and I will gladly mail it to you free of charge. :devil:

edit: One of my friends sent it to me as a joke. No one ever came forward to acknowledge that they did it because I was very angry and upset over it at the time. I didn't think it was a funny joke at all.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
If you want a more usable pregnancy book, I have "Your Pregnancy Week by Week," and liked it a hell of a lot more than the copy of WTE that I thumbed through.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I didn't get freaked out by "What to Expect" so much as annoyed. It's like a gigantic list of things to worry about, followed by essentially, "Yup, that's normal." I still pick it up from time to time for the "what your baby is doing this week" section, but overall, it's been pretty useless.

I have enjoyed "Birth Matters" by Ina May Gaskin (midwife extraordinaire), and "It Sucked, and Then I Cried" by Heather Armstrong (of dooce.com). Much more interesting reading, and has been way more helpful during this pregnancy.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I got a PM from a goonette willing to subject herself to WTE.

FITD, I would love that book if you wouldn't mind sharing the love with a random internet person.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I bought a couple of books, but the only one I actually read was this one:
Safe Baby Pregnancy Tips

They had it at the doctor's office so I figured it must have some useful stuff.

Otherwise I just talked to the doctor or looked stuff up online. Guess I'm lucky I had uneventful pregnancies.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

On a whim, bought some 'early detection' sticks at the store since I'm like 4 days before my period (give or take). I think I had the best grocery cart ever.. 3 bottles of wine, a bag of chips, some whipped cream, and pregnancy tests. LOL.
Peed on one out of curiosity. Wandered off for 10 or 15 minutes, came back, faint blue line. Srsly? I refuse to believe that I'm actually knocked up. Guess I'll try again tomorrow AM and see if it was one of the trillion things that The Internet says can create a false positive. I'm 34, and never even had a pregnancy scare. Honestly, I always figured that there was something wrong with my insides because most of my friends have had 2-4 kids by now, on purpose or by accident.
Purchased a 25 pack of sticks off Amazon, if I don't get to pee on at least half of them I'll be disappointed.
NOT telling the husband yet.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
The internet says there are a trillion things that can make a false positive? False positives are very rare, actually. False negatives, on the other hand, are pretty common.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

Cathis posted:

I'm 34, and never even had a pregnancy scare. Honestly, I always figured that there was something wrong with my insides because most of my friends have had 2-4 kids by now, on purpose or by accident.
I'm in my 30s and got pregnant right away each time despite being on the pill or mirena since I was 18 with no scares. Sometimes birth control just works.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.
It's the "wandered off for 10-15 minutes" thing that caught my eye. Most pregnancy tests, if positive, would show a positive line within a time frame of like 5 minutes (or whatever the test specifies). If left to sit longer, I'm not sure how reliable a "faint" line would be (it could be evaporation, etc.).

Regardless, only one way to know for sure! Make sure you don't wander off this time and good luck Cathis :)

VVV Well then, that's leaning more in the pregnant-way and easy is good! I'm a scientist too, and I got knocked up super fast :science: (also, these things never feel "real" when they're happening to you I think.)

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 5, 2011

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

anythingbutbloo posted:

It's the "wandered off for 10-15 minutes" thing that caught my eye. Most pregnancy tests, if positive, would show a positive line within a time frame of like three minutes. If left to sit longer, I'm not sure how reliable a "faint" line would be (it could be evaporation, etc.).

Regardless, only one way to know for sure! Make sure you don't wander off this time and good luck Cathis :)
Well, the instructions said 2-20 minutes. I peed, I put it down, I went and grabbed a drink and checked the mail. I was definitely not in the bathroom longer than a minute or so after the sticking happened. Going to try another stick tomorrow Am. I feel.. confused. I want to be pregnant but I feel like this was .. too easy. I'm a scientist, and I feel like the odds are just all wrong for it to be correct.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I got pregnant on the first try. It does happen sometimes! :shobon:

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I want my ovulation pee-on sticks because I want an excuse to pee on something.

Translation: I want to know if I ovulate with any regularity so I can get knocked up as soon as is possible.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Stick #2 peed with the good morning stuff; it says no. Guess I'll keep waiting and find out which is right! According to the box, the % of pregnant women getting positive results with the stick before their period is due is like 50-80%, so.. we'll see!

Edit: It's been bugging me all day. Am i? Am I not? Stupid tests, one yes and one no is NOT AN ANSWER.

Cathis fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 6, 2011

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
Waiting to see if my wife is pregnant is the worst thing ever. It just feel like eternity.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

Cathis posted:

Edit: It's been bugging me all day. Am i? Am I not? Stupid tests, one yes and one no is NOT AN ANSWER.

So do another!

Maybe get one of the digital tests that plainly says "pregnant" or "not pregnant" ?

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Cathis posted:

Stick #2 peed with the good morning stuff; it says no. Guess I'll keep waiting and find out which is right! According to the box, the % of pregnant women getting positive results with the stick before their period is due is like 50-80%, so.. we'll see!

I'll say it time and time again, pee on another stick. Even if you're not pregnant, you'll have a fun stick peeing time.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Bahunter22 posted:

I'll say it time and time again, pee on another stick. Even if you're not pregnant, you'll have a fun stick peeing time.

I have 25 sticks showing up in the mail tomorrow, I figure I can do some more peeing then. Lots more. (Well, maybe not 25 sticks worth).

Edit again: AHAHA I am retarded. I put them in my basket on amazon and never bought them... going to have to run to the pharmacy. :/

Cathis fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 6, 2011

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Fire In The Disco posted:

I got pregnant on the first try. It does happen sometimes! :shobon:

Ditto. That birth control really was working, apparently. Now I don't have control over poo poo, my nipples look weird, and all my clothes are stretchy. Take a picture of your tits right now for posterity. gently caress belly photos - I want to be able to remember what my normal boobs looked like.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.

dishonesty posted:

So do another!

Maybe get one of the digital tests that plainly says "pregnant" or "not pregnant" ?

Yes! No way could I have dealt with ambiguous lines; I needed very clear answers.

Count me in as someone who got pregnant right away; I think it was the second month we boned down at the right time. Or was it the first? I can't remember; we might have chickened out a couple of times before actually going for it.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

dishonesty posted:

So do another!

LOL. I'm frickin useless... i got a digital test.. you know what it said? "error, see manual". LOL. Going to wait until I have more juice and try again. Good god, the testing is harder than the doing :P

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I found it easier to pee in a clean cup and then dip the test in it. Holding the test in the stream of pee it's harder to make sure you get a good sample, especially if you just tried a little while ago and don't really have to go yet.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Cathis posted:

LOL. I'm frickin useless... i got a digital test.. you know what it said? "error, see manual". LOL. Going to wait until I have more juice and try again. Good god, the testing is harder than the doing :P

It sucks that that made me laugh. Your pee is cursed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Mother nature, via my uterus, just informed me I am not pregnant. While I was driving, naturally. This leads me to an interesting conclusion.. Birth control had me on a 28 day cycle, but apparently this was a 25 day cycle. Could explain my failure to get knocked up. Oh well wine, beer and fish gfor me on the company sailing trip tommorow! Anf another month of my husband rubbing my belly and muttering "boy, not a girl, boy". :)

• Locked thread