Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Firaga posted:

For that amount you can get a Xone:62 which is infinitely better. You can always save up a bit more and get a used DJM-800 in good condition, but since you're using Traktor you can just use the internal effects with an X1 (assuming you're getting one since you're looking at an external mixer). A DJM-700 is within your price range too and it has a dedicated EFX panel.
Personally I'd get the DJM because I like the onboard effects, it's club standard, Im not a fan of the double mids on the Xone and I like the dedicated filter knobs. Although the Xone has amazing filters and audio quality. I would try them both out if I were you, also depends on what you spin I guess.

actually the denon is a much better choice. the xone 62 is an outdated dumb piece of poo poo according to most people that have one/use one. the way its laid out is stupid, and metering is stupid, and CF is stupid, the EQ is stupid, and price is stupid(new, but very fair used), and in my experience they are not what i would call reliable, tho not quite unreliable. maybe a xone 92 beats the denon, but the 62 is seriously old as poo poo and not even in the same league as the new generation of mixers.

denon makes some of the finest DJ gear money can buy, and the x1600 has a soundcard, traktor certified, great efx, and a great build quality.

I have a DJM and its not being very reliable and im getting ready to sell it and go back to denon, specifically the x1600, as its the finest mixer on the market that sells for a reasonable price.

and honestly, the DJM effects kind of suck! the filters sound alright at best, and the only usable effects are like flange, echo, and loop or whatever its called and the rest sound like poo poo, even though it doesnt matter because you could never use them in a mix anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

oredun hating on Allen & Heath again. Shocking!

Some of your complaints are valid. The 62 design is pretty old by now. But hyperbolic statements like this

oredun posted:

the xone 62 is an outdated dumb piece of poo poo according to most people that have one/use one.

doesn't earn you any credibility. "most?"

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 27, 2011

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I don't know anybody that owns an A&H mixer, only Pioneer or Rane. :( I need better friends.

Also, oredun, don't you have a DJM700?

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Ah, the usual my mixer is better than yours hating fun times!

In my opinion it basically comes down to this:

What genre do you play and what kind of mixing do you want to able to do?

If you play music that requires fast mixing and that will benefit from a decent amount of varying FX (or if you simply want to be able to put a flanger on almost anything), then your choices are:

- DJM 700/800 - "Club Standard" along with the Xone:92. Idiot-proof, anyone can use it, simple, acceptable EQ, some pretty nice effects and useful filters. Almost no learning curve.

- Denon X1700 - Technically and component-wise a better mixer than the Pioneer, but you'll be faced with having to either carry the thing with you everywhere or play on a piece of Pioneer kit after all.

- Denon X1600 - Smaller, much cheaper brother of the 1700. Pretty much comparable with Pioneer DJM 700. Again technically, feature and component wise a better mixer, but to be found nowhere. Steeper learning curve like the 1700 as well.

If you play music that requires long, smooth transitions, you don't care about FX or use software to apply them and want full control over your music EQ-wise:

- Xone:92. Best mixer I've ever owned. Wonderful EQ, brilliant filters and great durability. Steep learning curve and it takes a lot of getting used to. Also the only mixer you're likely to find (sadly more often than not collecting dust) in any decent club next to the ever-present DJM-800.

Then there's Ecler who make truly great mixers (still handmade in Spain), but they are very much love 'em or hate 'em and even less likely to be present anywhere. I'm not familiar with Mackie, I do know however that outside of the U.S., where they are quite big, they are virtually a non-existent brand when it comes to DJ-gear (not including speakers). Rane is good, but expensive and still mainly focused on scratch DJ's.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone have any advice for dust-proofing gear for burning man (playa proofing)? I'm planning on bringing a MBP and an S4. For the MBP I'm definitely getting a hardshell case, but I think it might be a good idea to get something to cover the keyboard and maybe the trackpad and screen as well (since that's where most of the holes in the case are). Anyone have recommendations for this sort of protection?

For the S4 I have a dust cover I can throw on if a dust storm comes while I'm playing, but I don't really know if there's anything else I can or should do. Ideas?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Splinter posted:

Anyone have any advice for dust-proofing gear for burning man (playa proofing)? I'm planning on bringing a MBP and an S4. For the MBP I'm definitely getting a hardshell case, but I think it might be a good idea to get something to cover the keyboard and maybe the trackpad and screen as well (since that's where most of the holes in the case are). Anyone have recommendations for this sort of protection?

For the S4 I have a dust cover I can throw on if a dust storm comes while I'm playing, but I don't really know if there's anything else I can or should do. Ideas?

My advice? Don't bring your gear in the first place. No matter how much "dustproofing" you do, that playa dust is still going to get in there

Burn some CDs and be done with it

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Or put it in a really really big baggie with a hole for the usb cable.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
I'm planning on getting the Numark NS7, NS6 or the NI S4. I checked them all out and liked the NS7 the most because of the platter scratchability and it's built like a tank. As I use to do turntabilism I like to scratch here and there but it is not my main concern. I was hype on the S4 but was unimpressed with it's toyish feel, and lack of visible markers on the fx knobs. I've been told the jog wheels crap out fast. As for NS6 I don't really know much other than it seems a wee bit more expensive.

I love Traktor over Serato as my mix program, but drat that NS7 is tight. Does anyone have experience and preference to any of these?

I currently use a VCI-300 which I like cause it's solid,small, fast, and reliable. I mix funky house and sometimes wish I had effects in my VCI, but I'm not shelling out $250 for the lame VFX unit.

Saucy Slit fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 29, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Saucy Slit posted:

I'm planning on getting the Numark NS7, NS6 or the NI S4. I checked them all out and liked the NS7 the most because of the platter scratchability and it's built like a tank. As I use to do turntabilism I like to scratch here and there but it is not my main concern. I was hype on the S4 but was unimpressed with it's toyish feel, and lack of visible markers on the fx knobs. I've been told the jog wheels crap out fast. As for NS6 I don't really know much other than it seems a wee bit more expensive.

I love Traktor over Serato as my mix program, but drat that NS7 is tight. Does anyone have experience and preference to any of these?

I currently use a VCI-300 which I like cause it's solid,small, fast, and reliable. I mix funky house and sometimes wish I had effects in my VCI, but I'm not shelling out $250 for the lame VFX unit.

I have the NS7. I love it, but would prefer the NS6. The NS6 weights A LOT less than the NS7, which is an absolute hassle to transport due to its size. If you wanna go play shows with it, the NS6 is ideal as it has everything the NS7 has and more, including 4 deck mixing. The only thing missing is the moving platters, but it has a spinning light display similar to CDJs that I really like. As far as price is concerned, I actually think the NS6 is cheaper than the NS7+NSFX.

For me, I also find Serato superior to Traktor. If you're in the US, almost no one uses Traktor. If you learn on Serato Itch, you more or less already know how to use Scratch Live if you eventually start using that (which you will if you keep progressing), and that is an incredible piece of software. Currently Traktor is a bit stronger than Itch, but whenever they release The Bridge for Itch, it will be no contest. Even without The Bridge, I still prefer Itch over Traktor. I love the stacking waveforms, and it makes it so that you don't have to be a slave to the sync button, which makes mixing feel a lot more fluid. It is much more bare bones and open. I also love using Crates. I absolutely hate how Traktor manages the music library, and the decks themselves take up too much screen real estate. Itch has a much nicer balance, a less cluttered feel, and is extremely reliable. Overall, I would recommend both the NS7 and NS6, but if you're not DJing hip hop, the NS6 is definitely the way to go. If I had the chance I would have definitely gotten the NS6 over the NS7. Alternatively, you could buy the NS6 and I'll trade you my NS7 for it. :)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

If you're in the US, almost no one uses Traktor.

May be true where you are but around here (Denver) it's about 50/50 with a lot of long-time Serato users moving over to Traktor. That's in the house and techno community, at least. I'm sure that it still dominates amongst the hiphop and indierock DJs

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I own an NS6, feel free to ask me about it. I really hated using Itch 1.8 (I still use Scratch Live on a regular basis) but Itch 2.0 is a lot better. Platter feel on the NS6 is a lot better than the Kontrol S4...the NS6 has a lot more weight on them.

They're still working out some of the kinks with the NS6 but I haven't really had any issues when I've gigged with mine. Itch is a little more resource intensive than SL, I've noticed that.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
Now that the 1200s are discontinues, is there going to be a new go to table besides refurbished 1200s? If so could someone help me out with the advantages and disadvantages of some tables out there. Thanks!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

I'll be doing another live audio/video broadcast from Beatport's Denver HQ this Friday the 29th, from 3pm to 6pm MDT (that's 5pm to 8pm Eastern, 2pm to 5pm Pacific)

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=147536325326530

I plan to play a little bit of everything :)

http://www.ustream.tv/beatport

Starting now!

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
Awesome, thanks for your input everyone. It's always a hard decision when you're about to drop near a $1,000 for gear. I just love having nice fx at my disposal and it seems any version of Itch for a DJ Controller is lacking in effects. Have I overlooked this? Again thank you peeps.

(checking ur live stream Vanilla, chill musix)!

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

phractured posted:

Now that the 1200s are discontinues, is there going to be a new go to table besides refurbished 1200s? If so could someone help me out with the advantages and disadvantages of some tables out there. Thanks!

I don't know anyone who's bought a NEW pair of 1200s in the last 5 years. The reason they stopped producing them is partly due to how healthy the used market is for these TTs. They're built like tanks and there's always an ad up on craigslist for a pair (even in Indianapolis).

As for the new "go-to" table...it'll still be the 1200 for at least another few years.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Saucy Slit posted:

(checking ur live stream Vanilla, chill musix)!

Thanks!

Archive video is up now: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16316805

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
What do you think of that DJM2000?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

TheWevel posted:

What do you think of that DJM2000?

It's a beast of a mixer. Really not much different of a feel than an 800/900 other than all the fancy touchscreen effects and such that I didn't use anyways.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Yeah it totally seems like overkill, especially since Traktor/Scratch Live have their own (usually) better, builtin effects.

I have a gig at a real club tonight, I'm kind of nervous. If it was a typical Top40 gig I'd be ok but this one is going to be all house on one of their busiest nights of the week. I've been so busy with other poo poo that I haven't really spent a whole lot of time preparing for tonight. :ohdear:

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

vanilla slimfast posted:

It's a beast of a mixer. Really not much different of a feel than an 800/900 other than all the fancy touchscreen effects and such that I didn't use anyways.

It is a DJM900 with a drink coaster in the middle. In all seriousness though, it just feels crowded and not performance friendly compared to the 800/900. I love using the 800. The 2000 though, it feels like a mixer that just gets in your way.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
It always gives me the Yo-Dawg!-feel:

"We heared you like FX, so we put FX on the FX so you can FX the FX while you FX!"

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

What's a decent / inexpensive USB sound card? My soundcard on my PC is shot and that PC is also 11 years old so it's time to get an iMac next month. So for now I'm just on my 13" MBP with no linein.

Is something like this Numark dongle alright for short term / emergency use?

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-DJ-Multi-Channel-Interface/dp/B000S5Q2EK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312329366&sr=8-1

oredun posted:

actually the denon is a much better choice. the xone 62 is an outdated dumb piece of poo poo according to most people that have one/use one. the way its laid out is stupid, and metering is stupid, and CF is stupid, the EQ is stupid, and price is stupid(new, but very fair used), and in my experience they are not what i would call reliable, tho not quite unreliable. maybe a xone 92 beats the denon, but the 62 is seriously old as poo poo and not even in the same league as the new generation of mixers.
:goonsay:

The 62 holds up very well - I've had mine 8 years (bought it used) serviced right when I bought it to make sure it was all good (it was) and once to fix some cue lights and just a general once over about a year ago. I've used it at clubs many times and have multiple people use it and never heard a complaint.

I'll give you the metering. And aside from a few new features and knobs and sliders (and most likely hardware & firmware), it's almost the same mixer as the 92 and there's no discernible difference. The EQ is awesome and the sound quality is clean and excellent, very similar to Rane's and not muddy like the DJM series (I have not used the 900 or 2000).

I'll use my 62 until it catches fire, then maybe I'll upgrade to the 92.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Professorbx posted:

It is a DJM900 with a drink coaster in the middle. In all seriousness though, it just feels crowded and not performance friendly compared to the 800/900. I love using the 800. The 2000 though, it feels like a mixer that just gets in your way.

The 2000 just look like a giant game gear, I heard they discontinued it though since no one bought it.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

I've been looking into getting a Traktor S4 the past couple of weeks, but I just noticed Amazon pulled any listings they had recently for actual vendors. Is that some sort of indication that an hardware upgrade's coming, or is it just a coincidence? I know the S4 gets a lot of love, but the last thing I want to do is drop $800-900 on a controller at the end of its cycle.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

stuker posted:

I've been looking into getting a Traktor S4 the past couple of weeks, but I just noticed Amazon pulled any listings they had recently for actual vendors. Is that some sort of indication that an hardware upgrade's coming, or is it just a coincidence? I know the S4 gets a lot of love, but the last thing I want to do is drop $800-900 on a controller at the end of its cycle.

It means you live in California

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

geeves posted:

What's a decent / inexpensive USB sound card? My soundcard on my PC is shot and that PC is also 11 years old so it's time to get an iMac next month. So for now I'm just on my 13" MBP with no linein.

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-DJ-Multi-Channel-Interface/dp/B000S5Q2EK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312329366&sr=8-1
:goonsay:

I recently picked up a Focusrite Saffire 6 for production (on a budget!). Turntable Lab had them for $185 in June, and I went to Guitar Center with that info. I got it for a lot less than $185, but I know someone at one of the local GC's, so it was a hook-up price.

If you want something for DJing, definitely check it out, it has two pairs of RCA / component outs that can be set up for DJing:

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Saf...12376607&sr=1-1

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

geeves posted:

I'd go for the NI Audio 2

quote:

The 62 holds up very well - I've had mine 8 years (bought it used) serviced right when I bought it to make sure it was all good (it was) and once to fix some cue lights and just a general once over about a year ago. I've used it at clubs many times and have multiple people use it and never heard a complaint.

I'll give you the metering. And aside from a few new features and knobs and sliders (and most likely hardware & firmware), it's almost the same mixer as the 92 and there's no discernible difference. The EQ is awesome and the sound quality is clean and excellent, very similar to Rane's and not muddy like the DJM series (I have not used the 900 or 2000).

I'll use my 62 until it catches fire, then maybe I'll upgrade to the 92.

:respek:

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

The 2000 just look like a giant game gear, I heard they discontinued it though since no one bought it.

Wouldn't surprise me. Seems like Pioneer is pushing the 900 as their flagship model

Only place I've ever seen or touched a 2000 is at Beatport's office and Beta Nightclub (hell, might have even been the same one)

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Are any of you guys located in Atlanta by any chance? I need an additional DJ to help me fill in some gaps in the schedule. It's a Top40 spot and pays ok but is kind of high maintenance.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

vanilla slimfast posted:

I'd go for the NI Audio 2

Can this go from my record out -> Audio 2 -> USB on Mac and record with Audacity?

I don't use traktor still on CDJs

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

geeves posted:

Can this go from my record out -> Audio 2 -> USB on Mac and record with Audacity?

I don't use traktor still on CDJs

edit: derp, no you can't. Audio 2 is outs only (no ins)

You'd need the audio 4 for that IIRC

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Do any of you guys know how to get something Milkdrop to work with the music you're playing currently? Specifically I have this setup/dilemma. On my PC I have a large 32" screen that I want to play the Milkdrop Visualizer, perhaps to use this in a party or something like that. Then, I have my Macbook on the side with an NS7 which I'd use tunes to play with. I have a Line 6 UX2 connected to the PC for inputs/outputs/all that jazz. Is there any way to connect something from the NS7 to the PC, and then have milkdrop on the PC respond to the music? If something like this could feasibly work that'd be pretty awesome.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
http://vjforums.com/showthread.php?t=6637 looks like it'll work, seems like you already have your mixer connected to the PC so try that

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Also using linein in Winamp doesn't work with Winamp Basic, you have to get the "full" installation.

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
House/dubstep DJs: What makes a great sunrise set? What kind of story are you trying to tell? What moments in the music (huge drops/jumpoffs, giant anthems, epic breakdowns, lyrics, crazy mixes, etc) are you trying to sync with the what positions of the sun in the sky?

I'm spinning a sunrise set or two at Burning Man, and I'd like them to be fairly wonderful :)

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

ZeldaLeft posted:

House/dubstep DJs: What makes a great sunrise set? What kind of story are you trying to tell? What moments in the music (huge drops/jumpoffs, giant anthems, epic breakdowns, lyrics, crazy mixes, etc) are you trying to sync with the what positions of the sun in the sky?

I'm spinning a sunrise set or two at Burning Man, and I'd like them to be fairly wonderful :)

Do you party? Usually by the time the has actually risen I'm beat and like it to start winding down - unless drugs are involved - epic breakdowns / massive drops sound kind of like the anti-thesis of a sunrise set but maybe I'm way off base. Go listen to some tracks that get described as perfect for "afterhours" maybe?

I feel like my dream sort of morning set would be a bunch pf Max Cooper / Trentemoller / Dominik Eulberg, or Boards of Canada / Tycho style of stuff. Whale sounds n poo poo.

Cowboy. fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 3, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I don't know much about sunrise sets to be honest, but I feel like something along the lines of this song would be perfect

Paul Kalkbrenner - Platscher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50PuotCodMY

(I guess this post is really just an excuse to post this amazing song, I wish I had a viable reason to play this in my sets)

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

stuker fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 7, 2017

Blueballs
Jul 15, 2003

TheWevel posted:

Are any of you guys located in Atlanta by any chance? I need an additional DJ to help me fill in some gaps in the schedule. It's a Top40 spot and pays ok but is kind of high maintenance.

I live in the ATL! Send me an email, kielcombs at gmail.com

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

ZeldaLeft posted:

I always throw in random rock songs in my dubsteps like RATM - Testify, Rammstein - Du Hast, AC/DC - Thunderstruck, and you can never go wrong with dropping a thriller/billie jean/any mj song at random in any set. In my house sets I always like to throw in cheese like Venga Boys - Boom!BoomBoom!, Deejay Alice - Better Off Alone, DJ Jean - The Launch and it always goes over well.

When I'm VJing I have a bunch of movie intros to start off my sets, I usually use the opening of the Layer Cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ZeldaLeft posted:

This is the set I played at sunrise at Apogaea (the CO regional burn) back in June

http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-sunrise-on-the-whomp-truck-2011-06-10

I tend towards pretty but moody stuff