Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

geeves posted:

Third: the "weird Pycelle scene" is more foreshadowing to Tyrion ambushing him in ACoK when he's found in his bedchambers with the serving girl(s?). Right before his beard is shaved and he's thrown into the dungeon.
I didn't get that vibe. Why is it foreshadowing that scene? I mean, everything leading up to his little 'act' could be foreshadowing, but that part at the end of the scene really suggests that he's just putting on a show of being this feeble old bastard, and for the life of me I can't figure out why they felt they should include that, since literally nothing happens (in the books, anyway) later on that could really (from what I can recall) build on him being a sprier, more active character than he appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Since there is no Jeyne Poole in the tv show, i wonder if Roz is the one who is going to marry Ramsay.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Toplowtech posted:

Since there is no Jeyne Poole in the tv show, i wonder if Roz is the one who is going to marry Ramsay.

She might have trouble passing for Arya I think. Passing her off as being 15-ish years younger would be a stretch.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
:spergin: :spergin:

On cliffhangers:

I think we need to separate two kinds of cliffhangers: the TILL NEXT TIME, BAT-FANS! cliffhangers (Brienne), which need to stop, and the inflection point cliffhangers, which are actually natural ending points for that part of the story. Jon's assassination is a clear catastrophe, exposing the tragic error of his approach to rule, as he massaged the egos of everyone except the group he ruled. Arya's blindness is the clear end of her initial training and the beginning of the next phase. Bran's final chapter is the end of his period as a warg and his first experience as a greenseer. He is now a different person, on a different journey, than he was before that moment.

I'd actually find the story of her first assassination to be more narratively unsatisfying, as she hadn't reached the end of any arc, but just sort of stopped partway (see also: Jaime's chapter in ADWD).

Tyrion's drowning doesn't fit in either of those categories, as it's narrative sleight of hand to more effectively hide the reveal of Connington's greyscale, as geeves already noted.

:spergin: :spergin:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Habibi posted:

I didn't get that vibe. Why is it foreshadowing that scene? I mean, everything leading up to his little 'act' could be foreshadowing, but that part at the end of the scene really suggests that he's just putting on a show of being this feeble old bastard, and for the life of me I can't figure out why they felt they should include that, since literally nothing happens (in the books, anyway) later on that could really (from what I can recall) build on him being a sprier, more active character than he appears.

I don't think it's foreshadowing anything. I think it's a showrunner character touch, that makes it seem that, being in King's Landing for so long, he also is a maneuverer like all the other characters that aren't Starks, and figured out by playing old, feeble, and stupid, he could stay alive and in position for a long time. It gives his character a bit of character-development, depth and respect that he didn't really have otherwise.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
And then, of course, Tyrion shaves him and throws him into a dungeon and he does become a feeble and old man. A bit of dramatic irony for the viewers, as everyone else just sees that Pycelle is going on as he always did.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Brannock posted:

And then, of course, Tyrion shaves him and throws him into a dungeon and he does become a feeble and old man. A bit of dramatic irony for the viewers, as everyone else just sees that Pycelle is going on as he always did.

I don't know, because that scene really seemed to indicate that he's as big a player as Varys or Littlefinger but much cleverer about hiding it, but it'll be very underwhelming if he doesn't strictly speaking do anything of any 'on-screen' importance. And you could probably replace Qyburn easily, as not much is really known about Pycelle in the show, and you could easily have another character bind Jamie's wound.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Darko posted:

I don't think it's foreshadowing anything. I think it's a showrunner character touch, that makes it seem that, being in King's Landing for so long, he also is a maneuverer like all the other characters that aren't Starks, and figured out by playing old, feeble, and stupid, he could stay alive and in position for a long time. It gives his character a bit of character-development, depth and respect that he didn't really have otherwise.
I thought it was pretty clear in the books that Pycelle's baffled old man routine was something of an act and that he's sharper than he lets on. He certainly has excellent political survival instincts - no matter which way the wind blows, he always ends up landing on his feet. All of what we see of him is from other characters POVs, and they've fully bought into his harmless old coot masquerade.

Sounds like the TV show just made explicit what was implicit in the text.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I always just thought Pycelle was a blundering old guy who gets hosed over at every opportunity. However, the ending of ADWD changed that. Varys killed Kevan because he was fixing the realm. He probably killed Pycelle because he was doing the same thing.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
GRRM says no way in hell will anyone finish the series if he dies. Who has control over it when he has his fatal heart attack in a couple years though? Can they be coerced to finish the drat thing? And if THEY say no, how many people have to die before someone will say yes, another author can wrap this poo poo up?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Maytag posted:

GRRM says no way in hell will anyone finish the series if he dies. Who has control over it when he has his fatal heart attack in a couple years though? Can they be coerced to finish the drat thing? And if THEY say no, how many people have to die before someone will say yes, another author can wrap this poo poo up?

HBO

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Pycelle is clearly more than he appears to be, since if the Maesters are indeed up to something he would naturally be a part of it. If their plan really is to eradicate all magic and Varys is sabotaging that, it further calls into question his claims about hating magic.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are we supposed to know what's up with Varys' children with the daggers at the end of the book? Are they supposed to be brainwashed or magicked up? Why are they stabbing a man with daggers?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

RCarr posted:

Are we supposed to know what's up with Varys' children with the daggers at the end of the book? Are they supposed to be brainwashed or magicked up? Why are they stabbing a man with daggers?

They're his "little birds", orphans who are mute by birth or had their tongues removed who Varys has trained to hide in the walls of every place of importance in Kings Landing(and everywhere else of note including Winterfell), spy on the major players, and send ravens back to him. He provides food, clothing, shelter, and education to them, so they're loyal to him.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

geeves posted:

I don't think that will work, but considering the massive change to Qarth and Xaro, I wouldn't be surprised.

What change? :ohdear:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

drat, Varys is a lot more dangerous than I thought.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

RCarr posted:

drat, Varys is a lot more dangerous than I thought.

He's pretty much running the show (or trying to) at this point.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

FMguru posted:

I thought it was pretty clear in the books that Pycelle's baffled old man routine was something of an act and that he's sharper than he lets on. He certainly has excellent political survival instincts - no matter which way the wind blows, he always ends up landing on his feet. All of what we see of him is from other characters POVs, and they've fully bought into his harmless old coot masquerade.

Sounds like the TV show just made explicit what was implicit in the text.

Oddly, I never really got that impression from the books. Neither did I get the impression that he was a doddering old fool, but it seemed to be clear that what power and authority he had essentially stemmed directly from the Lannisters. He was a "player," but not a particularly apt one, and Tyrion had very little trouble picking him apart as necessary.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Snuffman posted:

What change? :ohdear:
People are bitching because the people in Qarth are tall and white (with really pale skin) and the actor who plays Xaro Xhoan Daxos (a qarthian merchant) is black. So clearly lot of people are saying that HBO must have decided to make ALL the qarthian black instead of pale white!

Xaro Xhoan Daxos is a member of one of the 3 merchant guilds and i don't remember him being described a Pureborn or a milk man (the qarthian with the pale skins), for all we know Qarth could be a multiracial city.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 4, 2011

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Toplowtech posted:

People are bitching because the people in Qarth are tall and white (with really pale skin) and the actor who plays Xaro Xhoan Daxos (a qarthian merchant) is black. So clearly lot of people are saying that HBO must have decided to make ALL the qarthian black instead of pale white!

Xaro Xhoan Daxos is a member of one of the 3 merchant guilds and i don't remember him being described a Pureborn or a milk man (the qarthian with the pale skins), for all we know Qarth could be a multiracial city.

Isn't Qarth like one of the richest cities in the world? They're breaking down stereotypes, man

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

There's a Game of Thrones graphic novel coming out. Looks bloody terrible, glossy like a superhero spandex special.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

There's a Game of Thrones graphic novel coming out. Looks bloody terrible, glossy like a superhero spandex special.

This looks retarded:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens with Victarion. He has a lava-rock arm, a horn that can control dragons, and badass Moqorro who I imagine as looking kind of like Darth Maul. And he's a pirate. What's not to like?

Maybe he'll let Dany blow his horn.

edit: ^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHA^^

I want Bran to mindrape Hodor and while exploring with Meera and Jojen trip and say "OH gently caress i mean HODOR" all while everybody is all :stare:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 4, 2011

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens with Victarion. He has a lava-rock arm, a horn that can control dragons, and badass Moqorro who I imagine as looking kind of like Darth Maul. And he's a pirate. What's not to like?

Maybe he'll let Dany blow his horn.

For some reason I pictured Moqorro as Sideshow Raheem.

"I wouldn't"

Also, my inside voice that narrates when I read kept calling him Morocco.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

Mr.Brinks posted:

This looks retarded:

Oh god, seriously don't look at any more of the samples. They just get worse. What the hell is that Other? I just...wow.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Oh jesus christ I loving hate anime.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Maytag posted:

That isn't remotely close to anime.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Maytag posted:

It's made by a company out of New Jersey. They're bad looking but they're not Rob Liefeld bad.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I picture Moqorro as one of the guys piloting the giant war elephants in The Return of the King for some reason

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

The god drat direwolf looks like a retarded badger and the perspective is so bad. I wish I could un-see this.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Truly horrifying. Looks like art from a brochure on eating fruits and veggies, featuring a kid named Bobby B.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

lapse posted:

Isn't Qarth like one of the richest cities in the world? They're breaking down stereotypes, man
Well, you see Daneyris will met a black gay male, a pale man with blue lips and a masked woman...

Webman
Jun 4, 2008

CornHolio posted:

Victarion's POVs are really interesting. I wonder if he's going to wind up like Quentyn or becomes a dark horse in the war as he rebuilds his fleet. I can't remember if he was always as violent as he was in his last POV, or if it just indicates that he was changed by Moqorro.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Webman posted:

Victarion's POVs are really interesting. I wonder if he's going to wind up like Quentyn or becomes a dark horse in the war as he rebuilds his fleet. I can't remember if he was always as violent as he was in his last POV, or if it just indicates that he was changed by Moqorro.

My guess is Victarion will wind up bringing Dany's new Dothraki army across the sea to Westeros.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Glug_Glug posted:

But that is the point of a cliffhanger, no? To bring you back for the next installment, to find out how the character makes it out alive. That's is why Jon isn't dead(or is, only to be Resurrected). If they die in that book, you're going to see a dead body or some sort of confirmation. Look at Eddard, Catelyn, and Robb. It would be stupid to leave them in peril in one book, and then in the next go, "oh yeah he dead lol".

Having a hall of wildlings following Jon like he's the new Mance ready to gang rape Ramsay would have been a painfully awesome cliffhanger.

No matter what happens next... it's going to be an anti-climax.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

hellbastard posted:

Having a hall of wildlings following Jon like he's the new Mance ready to gang rape Ramsay would have been a painfully awesome cliffhanger.

Pretty much agree. The prologue set things up so that Jon being stabbed doesn't have any real impact, because you just assume he's going to jump into something, be it Ghost, one of the corpses down in the ice cells, whatever.

What is the general feeling about Mance, by the way? Did he really send the letter, not Ramsay? Is Stannis still alive, or did the Boltons ride out into the storm and slaughter them all?

Also, did anyone else find it curious that Archmaester Marwyn didn't pop up at all?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Le Woad posted:

Cute. Dude you came in with a poo poo post and just straight up invented things. Also, who are these four resurrected main characters you're talking about?

I will name them right after you quote the post where I wrote 'main characters'.

edit: durr.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 4, 2011

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

Brannock posted:

That isn't remotely close to anime.

That art style is hideously influenced by anime.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maytag posted:

That art style is hideous.

Thought I'd help you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

hellbastard posted:

Unless he 'dies' freeing him from his vow and he becomes king of the north with the wildlings following him. A lot of the north would probably follow him too since he is the only surviving stark, sort of. Giants and mammoths with steel armor would be incredibly badass and I hope to see them murdering Freys left and right.

quote:

Also, did anyone else find it curious that Archmaester Marwyn didn't pop up at all?
He did set out a while after Victarion while having to go almost as far and his ship could be slowed by having to be more cautious than a war fleet. I am expecting Marwyn will pop up near the beginning of the next book in just the right place because he can see whats going on with his candle.

My question is when the iron bank envoy goes to Stanis, how does he get there? He's traveling with the iron island people who aren't prepared for the winter any more than Stanis's knights but the banker gets to deepwood fairly quickly and then the group makes it to Stanis's camp in the blizzard. Or did I mix up how long they were traveling?