Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Effingham posted:

Isn't that a bit redundant?

Not really, that last point of HP is the difference between 100% badass and 100% fertilizer, all points up to there are protecting that last one, and you only need to worry if you're going to run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
I think he meant "D&D nerd" was redundant.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
There are other kinds of nerds.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Mystic Mongol posted:

There are other kinds of nerds.

All nerds don't play D&D, but anyone who plays D&D is a nerd.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

BrainWeasel posted:

I think he meant "D&D nerd" was redundant.

He meant "last point of HP" was redundant. "Last point of hit points?"

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

crime fighting hog posted:

All nerds don't play D&D, but anyone who plays D&D is a nerd.

So what, the statement should have read,

quote:

If you're a D&D you think "damage doesn't matter until you lose that last point of HP"

E vvvvvv Well, color me corrected.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 26, 2011

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

how about "until you lose that last hit point."

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Post poste posted:

Not really, that last point of HP is the difference between 100% badass and 100% fertilizer, all points up to there are protecting that last one, and you only need to worry if you're going to run out.

I meant "that last point of HP" seemed redundant.

Usually, we say "that last hit point."

This message brought to by the Association of Former Editors of Dragon Magazine. (Okay, we've never organized, but if we got together over beers at GenCon, we'd all tell the same horror stories.....)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Thanks for the lesson. Now I'm off to use the ATM machine.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I hope you remember your PIN number.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Just another way that acronyms are constantly trying to erode our great English language, and thereby our very minds!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In which Vaarsuvius figures something out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ah, V was never as smart as s/he thought s/he was, and it's always refreshing to see him/her using his/her brain as opposed to just throwing around killing spells and using fancy formal language.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Here's to hoping that V kills the poo poo out of that unnamed kobold.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

inthesto posted:

Here's to hoping that V kills the poo poo out of that unnamed kobold.
Nothing could make Belkar angrier. That's his shtick.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Bell_ posted:

Nothing could make Belkar angrier. That's his shtick.

Belkar might be happy about getting to kill a V analogue though.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Any assault on the dark elf will hopefully be as entertaining as getting fed to an owlbear or being assaulted by deadly hornets.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
I like the line about the drow optimizing his entire build to beat V... because it explains how Belkar or somebody else will be able to beat him. It's like that whole big argument about 3e wizards is magically rendered moot!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I like the line about the drow optimizing his entire build to beat V... because it explains how Belkar or somebody else will be able to beat him. It's like that whole big argument about 3e wizards is magically rendered moot!

Not really but it's nice to think that.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hypocrisy posted:

Not really but it's nice to think that.

It's entirely possible that you could set up your daily spell selections exclusively to deal with one specific thing and leave yourself open to something else. Somebody who sets up their spell selection to nothing but fighting another wizard could conceivably find himself on the outs when faced with not that.

Over-specialization is still a thing, if you don't have a plan B.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cabbit posted:

It's entirely possible that you could set up your daily spell selections exclusively to deal with one specific thing and leave yourself open to something else. Somebody who sets up their spell selection to nothing but fighting another wizard could conceivably find himself on the outs when faced with not that.

Over-specialization is still a thing, if you don't have a plan B.

Spells are rather flexible in that a Rogue turns to stone just as easily as a Wizard does.

Also, basic mage buffs protect from everything, period. I suppose Zzt'Dri might have specialized to the point where he has not prepared those basic mage buffs but then that's less a case of overspecialization and more a case of stupidity.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hypocrisy posted:

that's less a case of overspecialization and more a case of stupidity.

Did you miss the part where he's working for Nale?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Did Belkar ever get the ring of jumping back? I mean otherwise I'd think the flight spell pretty much puts the wizard at the advantage.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There's also the fact that Belkar apparently cheats like a motherfucker. Somehow the dude's a walking Cuisinart despite wielding d3 knives.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Toussaint Louverture posted:

There's also the fact that Belkar apparently cheats like a motherfucker. Somehow the dude's a walking Cuisinart despite wielding d3 knives.

Yeah, I have no idea where he's getting all his damage from.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shavnir posted:

Did Belkar ever get the ring of jumping back? I mean otherwise I'd think the flight spell pretty much puts the wizard at the advantage.

I don't think he had any qualms about looting it from Roy's corpse during all the months he spent with it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, but it would have been confiscated when he was sent to prison, unless he remembered to hide it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ashenai posted:

Both of Belkar's sexy shoeless god of war moments have been in fights that are way under CR.

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.

Ashenai posted:

I've half-seriously believed for a while that he's been taking Rogue levels ever since the first two or so levels of Ranger without even knowing it. Explains a lot of things.

Plus, you know, all the PCs are DMPCs.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Poil posted:

I don't think he had any qualms about looting it from Roy's corpse during all the months he spent with it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ashenai posted:

+10 plot damage.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I got my copy of Snips, Snails and Dragontails today.
It's not bad at all. Now if only War and XPs would get another print run.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I got my copy of Snips, Snails and Dragontails today.
It's not bad at all. Now if only War and XPs would get another print run.
I hope mine turns up. I sent an e-mail over a month ago specifying a new shipping address since I've moved, and the shipping e-mail I received today still had my old address! :mad:

Edit: They e-mailed me back almost right away, and a corrected package will be headed my way! :) Awesome.

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 4, 2011

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, but it would have been confiscated when he was sent to prison, unless he remembered to hide it.

He already did that once when he was locked up in that blue paladin town. Of course the paladins weren't particularly competent in guarding prisons.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Happydogska posted:

I've half-seriously believed for a while that he's been taking Rogue levels ever since the first two or so levels of Ranger without even knowing it. Explains a lot of things.

Plus, you know, all the PCs are DMPCs.

Hasn't he been grabbing levels of Barbarian for some time?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I remember reading somewhere that the higher level you go the less the actual weapons damage matter. Things like Power Attack, enchantments, Favored Enemy and other feats such as Leap Attack makes a d3 instead of a d6 a bit irrelevant.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That and number of attacks, you can put out something like 7 attacks a round with two-weapon fighting maxed out.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Poil posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the higher level you go the less the actual weapons damage matter. Things like Power Attack, enchantments, Favored Enemy and other feats such as Leap Attack makes a d3 instead of a d6 a bit irrelevant.

Can't Power Attack with light weapons, otherwise yeah I guess. Frankly even 7 attacks a round with light weapons is kind of poo poo damage at these levels, compared to even a decent fighter like Roy. But inthesto has a good point, every time Belkar had a badass moment, it was against pathetically weak mooks.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Belkar is small sized, so class S weapons (daggers) aren't technically Light for him, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Those are 3.0 rules.

In 3.5, Belkar just uses daggers that are designed for small creatures, which still count as light weapons, but do less damage than daggers designed for medium creatures. This actually explains the joke in the first strip.