Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Senor P. posted:

Since you went, did they have an overall good turn out? How well was the event run?

There were about 250 competitors total. Overall the event wasn't run especially well(by midday divisions were running several hours behind schedule) and the refereeing wasn't great(one ref spent half the day not giving passing points when someone passed straight to mount, another ref stood one of my teammates up when they went out of bounds when my teammate had both hooks in for quite some time). I was especially disappointed because I'd heard that there events are generally much better run(I actually live in LA and they run most of there tournaments in Southern California, some of my teammates have reported them being run fairly well with many more competitors).

Edit: they were running behind relative to the schedule they published when registration was first announced. To there credit they did a much better job than some tournaments do about updating competitors on when there divisons would start(and those updates were reasonably accurate). Also, there were only 6 purple belts total and no brown or black belts, so if you're a higher level guy it may not be worth your while.

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
did you see cyborg get slammed? I guess he hurt his shoulder and couldnt continue.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

This must be quite demoralising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6AVUmGt8E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In the comments somewhere, said it was 15-17 year old division, which typically don't have skill levels inside of them. i looked on youtube and she looks to have decent high school wrestling experience. So basically, she was inadvertently (maybe?) sandbagging. Also, shouldn't have been 25-0, as he reversed her @ ~2:05 - not sure why he didnt get points, bad reffing. Skill was pretty obviously very uneven.

That being said, that kid needs to learn to defend/escape a mount!

imtheism fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 1, 2011

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

imtheism posted:

Also, shouldn't have been 25-0, as he reversed her @ ~2:05 - not sure why he didnt get points, bad reffing.
At the tournaments in my area, you don't get points for going from mount into guard (or for half-guard into half-guard).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
You don't get points for "reversals", you get points for sweeps, and sweeps are only scored done from the guard. Bridging someone over from mount doesn't give you points in pretty much any ruleset - except I think in FILA submission wrestling rules you get one point for "escapes" if you get back to a "neutral" position.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

OrangeCrush posted:

did you see cyborg get slammed? I guess he hurt his shoulder and couldnt continue.
No I ended up missing the tournament because I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art where they have the Alexander McQueen exhibition.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

You don't get points for "reversals", you get points for sweeps, and sweeps are only scored done from the guard. Bridging someone over from mount doesn't give you points in pretty much any ruleset - except I think in FILA submission wrestling rules you get one point for "escapes" if you get back to a "neutral" position.

The embarrassment I feel when I get rolled from mount is punishment enough :(

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

No I ended up missing the tournament because I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art where they have the Alexander McQueen exhibition.

If you didn't get the audio tour things, go back and do so because they add hugely to that exhibit

BlindSite posted:

The embarrassment I feel when I get rolled from mount is punishment enough :(

As in most areas of BJJ, the key is head control.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

If you didn't get the audio tour things, go back and do so because they add hugely to that exhibit

As in most areas of BJJ, the key is head control.

I'm starting to learn this. I'm getting thrown from mount and side control less and less. Haven't been swept in three weeks either so that's a plus.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
You can only bridge towards the way you're facing.

You can only shrimp towards the way you're facing.

Keep those two things in mind and you should be able to maintain any top position.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Death Bucket posted:

You'd learn more than nothing but not as much as if you went to class during the week. Friday's only class is conditioning, followed by an open mat that's been pretty much dead for a year or so. Saturday has a pretty good open mat and the guy who runs it usually shows some judo for people who want to learn it. I think there's still the newbie BJJ class on Sunday, but I don't know for sure. For what it's worth, Eric Schafer just opened a school in Shorewood that's got some great guys there and a couple of Henry Matamoros' old guys started Pura Vida BJJ down in Walker's Point. No idea about either of their schedules, but they may have more directed classes during the weekend, I don't really know.

Thanks. I'll check those other two out.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

imtheism posted:

In the comments somewhere, said it was 15-17 year old division, which typically don't have skill levels inside of them. i looked on youtube and she looks to have decent high school wrestling experience. So basically, she was inadvertently (maybe?) sandbagging. Also, shouldn't have been 25-0, as he reversed her @ ~2:05 - not sure why he didnt get points, bad reffing. Skill was pretty obviously very uneven.

For what it's worth she says in the comments that she registered for the advanced division but what do I know.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

quote:

Chsiev by submission, left kesa gatame, 6:48.

quote:

Magalhaes by submission, hip cradle, 4:00.
I want to see these, mostly because I have no idea how they work.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well Kesa Gatame is a "chest compression side control choke" that's actually a neck crank.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
With the "hip cradle" sub, all I can think about it that footage of PSP's favourite boxhead angrily folding a man in half during some submission grappling tournament.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fawker posted:

With the "hip cradle" sub, all I can think about it that footage of PSP's favourite boxhead angrily folding a man in half during some submission grappling tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F734Srz23I&hd=1&t=60s

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Grifter posted:

I want to see these, mostly because I have no idea how they work.

Shazam! A hip cradle, apparently:

http://bcove.me/9oqfhg3y

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Drewjitsu posted:

Huh, I think Eddie Bravo calls that a Banana split, or something like that. I remember Mayhem trying to pull this off on Jake Shields and failing during his fight.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

In wrestling we called that a banana split, it never occurred to me that you could submit somebody if you concentrated on ripping their groin muscles apart instead of attempting a pin.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

fawker posted:

Huh, I think Eddie Bravo calls that a Banana split, or something like that. I remember Mayhem trying to pull this off on Jake Shields and failing during his fight.

Yeah, I was super pumped to find out what a hip cradle was, and it turned out into a banana split :(

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Video comment:

I Am Literally Gay

DemoniusXsFan 8 months ago

Of course.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Boregasm posted:

In wrestling we called that a banana split, it never occurred to me that you could submit somebody if you concentrated on ripping their groin muscles apart instead of attempting a pin.

I'm guessing there are other wrestling moves, like a bow and arrow, that could easily become submissions if ripping apart your opponents knee/groin/shoulder is fair game.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Boregasm posted:

I had it done to me the other night, it's pretty bad and I'm foot behind head level of flexible.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

fatherdog posted:

diff rules up here in Seattle, then, I guess. I've always seen sweep points given for mounted-->guard via bridges and such. Imo, you deserve to give up some points for going from the best position to your back - should be scrambling to a 50/50 at worst!

Come to think of it, I roll all no-gi which might be where the difference is. Same idea as how you're not allowed to pull guard without giving up points.

Re: banana split. Sucks to have it done to you, but after you get it done once or twice you should be able to defend it pretty easily. The trick when they start to throw it on is to scoot your lower back/butt to the ground to change the angle they need to stretch with. If you stay on top of their hips/stomach, you're toast. Just keep your hips moving, change the stretching angles, and there is pretty much always space to squirm.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

imtheism posted:

diff rules up here in Seattle, then, I guess. I've always seen sweep points given for mounted-->guard via bridges and such. Imo, you deserve to give up some points for going from the best position to your back - should be scrambling to a 50/50 at worst!

Guard is not a bad thing. Guard and mount are the same position.

edit: Bit of an exaggeration, and mount is definitely better, but it's something I point out to new students when they've learned a bit about offense from one of the two positions but not the other yet.

generatrix fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 4, 2011

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
Monday evening was probably my worse Jiu jitsu training since starting. We started rolling with someone taking the back because we'd been learning techniques from the back and I could keep the back of someone for more than a minute and got subbed by nearly everyone on the mat that night.

BJJ is a fickle and harsh mistress sometimes

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Death Bucket posted:

Most of the local tourneys around here have a 16 point slaughter rule which really makes sense to me. If the guy got a miracle sub in the closing seconds, he still got completely outgrappled and in no way would have deserved to win that match.

If the guy taps out you win. It doesn't matter if he got a million points before you beat him. You still beat him.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Who Gotch Ya posted:

If the guy taps out you win. It doesn't matter if he got a million points before you beat him. You still beat him.

Chael Sonnen disagrees.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
the odds of pulling out a miracle submission after letting a guy score 16 unanswered points is ridiculously low. Tournaments always take forever and run over, anything to keep things moving quicker.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
I don't think you should be awarded an early finish for not finishing.
If I racked up 16 points and they stopped the match I'd be disappointed, because I'd have been trying to finish. I'd feel robbed of a potential highlight and wouldn't pay to compete in such a tournament.

Takedown 2 points
pass guard 3 points
knee on belly 2 points
mount 4 points
back mount 4 points
hooks 4 points

That's 17 points

I haven't won yet. Why stop the match? I could cross my feet and get footlocked. He could just reverse and wind up on top, pass my guard and finish me. Or I could bust out a loving reverse gogo.
Stopping the match after a certain amount of points is stupid. That could be accomplished in under a minute. He deserves the remaining time to defend and try to come back and I deserve to try to finish.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Who Gotch Ya posted:

If I racked up 16 points and they stopped the match I'd be disappointed, because I'd have been trying to finish. I'd feel robbed of a potential highlight and wouldn't pay to compete in such a tournament.

Takedown 2 points
pass guard 3 points
knee on belly 2 points
mount 4 points
back mount 4 points
hooks 4 points

That's 17 points

I haven't won yet. Why stop the match? I could cross my feet and get footlocked. He could just reverse and wind up on top, pass my guard and finish me. Or I could bust out a loving reverse gogo.
Stopping the match after a certain amount of points is stupid. That could be accomplished in under a minute. He deserves the remaining time to defend and try to come back and I deserve to try to finish.

I tend to agree with this because even against other white belts I can be incredibly lazy and take a breather while they mount and then I work my way back to guard and look for something like a sweep or a sub. I don't like Rules that don't allow me to be lazy. The BJ Penn method owns.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

BlindSite posted:

I tend to agree with this because even against other white belts I can be incredibly lazy and take a breather while they mount and then I work my way back to guard and look for something like a sweep or a sub. I don't like Rules that don't allow me to be lazy. The BJ Penn method owns.

You seriously do this in tournaments?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Subparr posted:

You seriously do this in tournaments?

gently caress no, only in rolling, but we're expected to put in full effort or rather try to train realistically with restraint obviously when putting on submissions. Other wise we tend to cop a beasting involving sprawling then do hindu push ups from that position. I like the idea of catching a breather when rolling, and then get to practice getting back to guard etc.

If I happen to get tired as gently caress in a tourney I'd want it to be an option though.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Takedown 2 points
pass guard 3 points
knee on belly 2 points
mount 4 points
back mount 4 points
hooks 4 points

That's 17 points

Depends how you look at it. Generally speaking, even if you can force a million scrambles and keep escaping, chances are that the guy whose positional dominance is that good would have absolutely murdered you with strikes. I realize BJJ is its own sport and all that, but poo poo like this and 50/50 stallfests and OH MY GOD HE REAPED THE LEG STOP THE BAD MAN FROM REAPING THE LEG are really getting in the way of BJJ's original goal, which was to make Rorion a very rich man be a combat-ready martial art. I once had a ref threaten to DQ me in a tournament for stalling in mount. While I was the guy on top. I'm pretty sure it's the bottom guy's problem to figure out a way out from under there, and it's my job to hold that position as long as I drat well feel like it.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Death Bucket posted:

Depends how you look at it. Generally speaking, even if you can force a million scrambles and keep escaping, chances are that the guy whose positional dominance is that good would have absolutely murdered you with strikes. I realize BJJ is its own sport and all that, but poo poo like this and 50/50 stallfests and OH MY GOD HE REAPED THE LEG STOP THE BAD MAN FROM REAPING THE LEG are really getting in the way of BJJ's original goal, which was to make Rorion a very rich man be a combat-ready martial art. I once had a ref threaten to DQ me in a tournament for stalling in mount. While I was the guy on top. I'm pretty sure it's the bottom guy's problem to figure out a way out from under there, and it's my job to hold that position as long as I drat well feel like it.

If you want to base who wins on who would be able to punch the guy more, go do MMA. We're talking about grappling tournaments where the goal is to make people submit.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Death Bucket posted:

I once had a ref threaten to DQ me in a tournament for stalling in mount. While I was the guy on top. I'm pretty sure it's the bottom guy's problem to figure out a way out from under there, and it's my job to hold that position as long as I drat well feel like it.
Disagreed on this kinda. A lot of times when you're on the bottom, you're pinned in such a way that any move is a bad move until they give you some space.

The goal should *always* be to advance position towards a submission, for both parties. However, the guy on top is usually the one dictating the pace/positions, so his attempts at advancement usually matter more in terms of keeping things moving.

If you're on the bottom of a tight side control, sometimes no amount of anything you can do will get you free from someone who just wants to hold you and stall. At that point, HE is the one who is stalling - not the person pinned on the bottom.

Obviously, if it's coming down to points at the end of the match, the bottom person should be doing everything to advance. However, for the top person, defending points and advancing are two very different things.

It's both party's responsibility to advance, but it's impossible to stall from the bottom because you're already losing.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

This'll help you with those dreaded guard passes.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Takedown 2 points
pass guard 3 points
knee on belly 2 points
mount 4 points
back mount 4 points
hooks 4 points

That's 17 points

What system gives 4 for back and then 4 more for getting hooks in? Everywhere I've been/seen only gives 4.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

What system gives 4 for back and then 4 more for getting hooks in? Everywhere I've been/seen only gives 4.

I think there was an IBJJF rule change a year or so ago to this effect, I remember my instructor mentioning it in class. Like if you have mount and the guy turns over onto his belly, if you stay mounted you get another 4 points even if you don't have hooks in. And then four more if you do get hooks. I can't find any confirmation online though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Xguard86 posted:

You have to be mounted on the guy with his back facing you and then you get 4 points. I guess to discourage giving your back and encourage hip escaping back to guard. My instructor is also a referee at every major IBJJF tournament and he teaches this when going over how points are scored.