Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you have any other questions, don't forget to join the channel. There's always people in there who can help.

Edit: Unless it's like 10am or something. I just noticed Warlocke was on then asking stuff and nobody was around.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 2, 2011

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Gold members get one free respec when they hit 40.

You have to pay any other time. You can pay with in-game currency too, but that quickly becomes too expensive.

There are also retcon tokens that are given out for free when they do a major overhaul to some powers. I'm not sure if Gold members get those. Probably not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

terminal mehmet posted:

There are also retcon tokens that are given out for free when they do a major overhaul to some powers. I'm not sure if Gold members get those. Probably not.

Yeah, but you can't really count on those. The one we got with the last patch was the first in months.

Also, I assume you meant Silver there?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, but you can't really count on those. The one we got with the last patch was the first in months.

Also, I assume you meant Silver there?

Oh right. Is lifetime Platinum? I want to be a metal, too. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lifetime is just considered Gold. When you buy it you get bonuses like extra character slots, 2 costume sets, immediate access to the VIP lounge, a forum and in-game title, and ugly Lifetime emblems. After that, it's just Gold.

People on the forums will act as if it's a different tier but it's because they're idiots.

Edit: Ran across another clone. This one's actually decent, though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 3, 2011

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

doomfunk posted:

BULLET PISTOL

So THAT'S what I'm going to name my new alt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Found out how to have 3 companions out at the same time.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: Unless it's like 10am or something. I just noticed Warlocke was on then asking stuff and nobody was around.

:negative:

I spent an hour in the powerhouse playing with builds for my electric character. The LR-BCR tank idea is too clicky for me to find fun I think, so I was playing around with damage-focused builds. Electric Form + Avenger + Electric Sheath, Imbue, Sonic Device... Not sure whether I should stay End/Rec with Con as tertiary or maybe go End/Con with Rec as tertiary...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
For further confirmation, I just tried entering a second retail copy from amazon and the site refused it. I'm not surprised, as the amazon copies give you some armor unlocks and like 500 free C-points. So I guess I'll have to order some from another website to continue being cheap.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Does anyone still have a Goonling costume file? I've been meaning to try the bestial powers and tunneling but I can never come up with a concept I like, other than that...

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Just made one from my old goonling.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

New Hideouts out today. High-Tech Basement and 60's Retro Moonbase.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Oh my god I want a moonbase.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Bah, what's a superhero need with a 60s Retro Moonbase? That's 100% supervillain territory, right there.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Where else would a SPACE KNIGHT live?

I guess I'd prefer a space station (SPACE CASTLE); but, you know.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

terminal mehmet posted:

Oh my god I want a moonbase.
The original moonbase is probably more generically useful for multiple alts (and it's the only one I've nabbed so far), but I'd be lying if I said the styling on the 60's moonbase wasn't absolutely hilarious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 60s Moon Base is cool, but not spend money on cool.

I would have preferred if they got the themes that are more generic out first. Now I need to wait like 4 weeks or something for another Moon Base theme.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Asimo posted:

The original moonbase is probably more generically useful for multiple alts (and it's the only one I've nabbed so far), but I'd be lying if I said the styling on the 60's moonbase wasn't absolutely hilarious.

Wait wait wait, you only get ONE hideout for ALL your characters?

That is incredibly gay if true. :negative:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No. Each character can choose their own hideout from what you've bought, with their own customization.

He's just saying the 60s theme is a bit specific to be used by a variety of characters. Like the original moon base works for an Adam Strange-like Space guy, a Green Lantern, an alien etc.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. Gold characters get one "free", and you still have to buy the rest. But it's an account-wide purchase, and any settings you make in them are character-specific, so if you had the retro sci-fi moonbase say you could have one character with orange lighting on the floor, and another with a big death ray visible through the dome, and so on, but none of them could have a cave base unless you bought that. And if you did, any of your characters could, and could even swap between them at will if so inclined.

(Personally, if you don't want to put down cryptic funbucks on a base, the original Cave's probably the best bet. It's nice and generic, as much as I like the moonbases.)

And yeah. The 60's styled moonbase is... 60's styled. It's hilarious but a bit concept-specific. The new tech basement's not bad either, but I think all the basement options are just a little small.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Something just blew up. Account server's down, website's down.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

drat, and I was about to hop ingame.

Do you all find yourselves making characters with multiple passives for different builds? I seem to end up with too many power choices, so I'm flirting with doing something like taking two slotted passives I can switch between quickly (we get those 6 builds or whatever, so why not).

I mean, once you have 2-3-4 good attacks and the other incidentals (a slotted passive, energy unlock, block replacement, IDF) there's only so many clickies (active defense, active offense, on-next-hit, cooldown refresh, etc) you can effectively use...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's back up now actually.

It's pretty common to have a defensive and offensive passive, at least.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

The obvious choice is to take every controllable pet power in the game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

BlueDestiny posted:

The obvious choice is to take every controllable pet power in the game.

Don't think I could come up with a concept that fits all of them. When I get around to redoing my arcane caster I may load her up with pets though...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Collector, from that Simpsons Halloween episode.

XenaLucy Lawless not included.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's pretty common to have a defensive and offensive passive, at least.
Yeah. It used to be tricky to find a pair that matched, but now that passives match your super stats, whatever they are, it's really quite easy. Especially since most defensive passives are set-agnostic.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

WarLocke posted:

Don't think I could come up with a concept that fits all of them.

Pokemon Trainer.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Asimo posted:

Yeah. It used to be tricky to find a pair that matched, but now that passives match your super stats, whatever they are, it's really quite easy. Especially since most defensive passives are set-agnostic.

I thought all passives were decoupled from specific superstats now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I thought all passives were decoupled from specific superstats now?

They are, but some like Lightning Reflexes and PFF suck without some other stuff from their set.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Yeah, LR is good- with a lot of bandaids attached :smith:

I've avoided straight up dodge builds. I learned my lesson after playing a SR scrapper in CoH.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Aphrodite posted:

They are, but some like Lightning Reflexes and PFF suck without some other stuff from their set.

PFF sucks regardless of what you're using with it.

The whole thing of 'set agnosticism' refers more to the distinction of Defensive passives just boosting your defense, no matter what, versus most Offensive passives, which boost usually only one damage classification type, so if your character isn't chiefly focused on throwing out a single damage school (elemental attack, energy attacks, physical attacks), an offensive passive probably won't benefit you much.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mewnie posted:

Yeah, LR is good- with a lot of bandaids attached :smith:

I've avoided straight up dodge builds. I learned my lesson after playing a SR scrapper in CoH.
It's arguable that a dodge-based tank is the most survivable tank in game, especially if you're out soloing, simply due to the fact that almost all the actually-dangerous things are cosmics/legendaries/etc. with massive charged alpha-strike style attacks. Granted, you still need a lot of synergy; a block that boosts defenses when you melee, BCR+RR (obviously), equipment that boosts dodge chance (rare, but there's some from quests and it's craftable later), attacks that boost dodge chance, other self-heals or shields, and so on. That's a pretty heavy investment, yeah. With the BCR+RR synergy it's even surprisingly durable against massed minions, especially with an AoE attack that can clear them out while they futilely try and beat you up.

If you just want to be nigh-invulnerable whole soloing and don't really have any intention of going up against those sorts of things, then any sort of passive defense with any sort of self-heal will more than suffice. Invuln or Defiance are obvious examples, there; Lightning Reflexes really only starts getting good in the midgame, while those help you from the moment they're taken.

And yeah, PFF still sucks. Even after repeated buffs it's still basically "regeneration but shittier". It needs a lot higher regeneration to even start to be useful, sadly. Or hell, even rapid out of combat regen...

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Compared to CoH's SR model LR in this game is pretty drat awesome. :negative:

Really though, compared to Invuln or Defiance LR does take a lot of love to shine - ideally a LR build will want IDF, BCR+RR, possibly EM to ensure a dodge vs faster attacks - but unlike SR, LR actually does shine.
e: oh but avoid Parry like it's herpes, it's poo poo for LR. If you'd rather chimp out and beat on things and not actively block that much, take Energy Shield with LR. They go together like peanut butter and bananas.

...whereas, if you go Invuln, you just pick up a heal of some sort and go. Unless you want to be "stupid tough" like I did.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 4, 2011

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
That's pretty much how I'm approaching any kind of Dodge build. I skip LR as I hate BCR, due to having to activate the power every other second. That and how many powers it takes just to keep it up.

I mean, back in CoH, defense sucked on it's own, but if you took another defensive set and layered defense on top, it was 1000x more awesome. Seems the same appiles in CO- Hence why I do stuff like add dodge to regen or another passive. The upkeep is much more minimal for an even better result than straight LR.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah. I look at defense like a chair. The more "legs" it has (heal/time, damage resistance, damage reduction, etc) the less likely it is to fall down.

...I got that from the CoH forums like seven years ago but it's just as good a metaphor now as it was then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

doomfunk posted:

e: oh but avoid Parry like it's herpes, it's poo poo for LR. If you'd rather chimp out and beat on things and not actively block that much, take Energy Shield with LR. They go together like peanut butter and bananas.

Unarmed Way of the Warrior builds should use Parry, though.

Unarmed builds up enough dodge and avoidance itself that you can get by using WotW instead of LR (Though you likely still want to have both by 40) and Parry is part of that.

When using LR though, Parry's not worth it because of diminishing returns.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah. It winds up adding like... 3-4% dodge. Barely noticeable, let alone being worth three advantage points. Laser Knight is way better in practive since its damage resistance effectively stacks on top of LR/Dodge. If you're using WotW or Quarry (assuming you have a melee attack with the latter), then definitely go for Parry, it kicks your dodge up to near-LR levels and makes the BCR+RR synergy work wonders.

doomfunk posted:

Yeah. I look at defense like a chair. The more "legs" it has (heal/time, damage resistance, damage reduction, etc) the less likely it is to fall down.

...I got that from the CoH forums like seven years ago but it's just as good a metaphor now as it was then.
Basically. You have to look at your "effective" damage resistance over time, which is fairly complicated but which everything adds to. It's easier in CO than CoH say, mostly because CO actually has some decently-planned mechanics (CoH was laughably imbalanced at launch and for a few years afterwards). Ideally you want to hit a point where the amount you heal is greater than the damage you're taking; if you can manage that, you're literally invincible. In practice fighting anything actually worth being durable against you'll wind up with a slow net drain on HP, but that's what active defenses and just murdering the enemy are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Unarmed Way of the Warrior builds should use Parry, though.

Unarmed builds up enough dodge and avoidance itself that you can get by using WotW instead of LR (Though you likely still want to have both by 40) and Parry is part of that.

Exactly this. Unarmed won't dish out quite the damage of dual blade, single blade, or claws but it's such a toolbox of defensive maneuvers that you can approximate LR-level defenses in Brawler and still have utterly superior DPS.

Asimo posted:

In practice fighting anything actually worth being durable against you'll wind up with a slow net drain on HP, but that's what active defenses and just murdering the enemy are for.

Next time I'm in-game I'll hop on Eclipse and we can duo something with a really punchy boss on Elite and titter and clink our glasses of scotch together as my health doesn't move.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 4, 2011