Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This poo poo is tearing up my free space. HTC Locations (which is awesome btw) lets you keep map sections on the SD card. US Southwest is 980 megs.

You live in the area of the country with nothing in it. Maybe it's showing all the haboobs? (Not a real thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Casao posted:

You live in the area of the country with nothing in it. Maybe it's showing all the haboobs? (Not a real thing)

gently caress you.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Maker Of Shoes posted:

gently caress you.

A picture of nothing to prove your point :smug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, I installed the updated baseband on my G2x. After updating via the LG Installer, it just hung at the G2x logo, but I was able to reflash CMR then restore my CM7 install. So far, I haven't noticed any positive changes. The GPS still sucks (though I haven't tried it outside) and everything else once booted seems the same. Booting has an odd problem in that it shows the CM7 boot image briefly BEFORE the LG logo, but it doesn't seem to affect things either way, it lost all of my account settings, so I had to reenter those (mildly annoying since I use dual-layer sign in for Google, which meant having to create a new password for the phone) and also rebooting to recovery seems a lot slower now. *shrug* I'm currently installing Nightly Build #94, so we'll see what happens.

EDIT: Oh, and my SD mount points in Windows seem to have switched for some reason, which is annoying once, I guess. (That is, internal used to be N: and external was M:, but now this is reversed.)

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 2, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Well, I installed the updated baseband on my G2x. After updating via the LG Installer, it just hung at the G2x logo, but I was able to reflash CMR then restore my CM7 install. So far, I haven't noticed any positive changes. The GPS still sucks (though I haven't tried it outside) and everything else once booted seems the same. Booting has an odd problem in that it shows the CM7 boot image briefly BEFORE the LG logo, but it doesn't seem to affect things either way, it lost all of my account settings, so I had to reenter those (mildly annoying since I use dual-layer sign in for Google, which meant having to create a new password for the phone) and also rebooting to recovery seems a lot slower now. *shrug* I'm currently installing Nightly Build #94, so we'll see what happens.

EDIT: Oh, and my SD mount points in Windows seem to have switched for some reason, which is annoying once, I guess. (That is, internal used to be N: and external was M:, but now this is reversed.)
Hey I was just about to post an update yesterday but figured I might jinx it.

She ran with CM7 for about a day and a half. Got four lockups requiring restarts (always after it had been charging) but the main issue was the GPS. It would get a lock and get it fast. It would lock much quicker than the old baseband. Unfortunately it also lost that lock frequently forcing her to exit Navigation. Upon reentering, it would get a lock immediately. So she decided to give the stock LG "Gingerbread" (in quotes because it's not Gingerbread at all) a run since I'm sure we'll be calling T-Mobile again.

At first things were very good. She managed to go three days without a restart although she said today that it suffered a sleep coma so good to see that the principle loving reason for the update failed to resolve the primary issue LG & T-Mobile admits is wrong with the phone. That said, the GPS seems to be working for now (at least it maintains the lock) but after a reflash GPS always did work for a week or so; we'll see in two weeks.

I didn't have any trouble installing the baseband, although since I was on a refurb I had to use the KDZ tool rather than the LG Updater tool. Nowhere in the software was it apparent it was P999DWP rather than a P999DW, so it wasn't until the LG Updater failed that I realized I had to go that route. Aside from that it just worked.

Either way, maybe T-Mobile will be more willing to swap for a different model since last time I asked it was literally less than 24 hours before the Gingerbread update was publicly released but I'm not optimistic. I'm definitely wanting to swap this unit for another since it's still suffering sleep comas.

I will say there's no loving way I'm burning a subsidy on replacing this piece of poo poo which is what they want me to do. I told her that if it was me I'd sell it on Craigslist for what I could get and buy something I knew worked (a Nexus S or Nexus One is what she'd like) but she wants T-Mobile to make it right and I can't really blame her.

Oh well.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Oh yeah, I forgot that I tried to post something last night and it didn't go through. Attempt 2!

The random issues I've been having with the CM 7.1 nightly I'm on have been enough that I was ready to try a newer build last night. I downloaded it through ROM Manager, went through the install process, and... the same problem that I've been having since around 7.0 RC1 happened again. After it boots, half my apps are gone. Tasker, Weatherbug Elite, News and Weather widget... no particular rhyme or reason for it... they are just gone.

I did a nandroid restore and I'm back to normal for now. I had thought that maybe something was hosed up before when I was having this problem with every single CM update I tried to install, so before I installed the build I'm on now I did a full wipe, hoping that would take care of it. Turns out, not so much.

I've tried searching on the issue, but the closest thing I can find are some people complaining about similar but not quite identical problems and pinning them on Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5, saying something about it messing up sd-ext, but I don't know exactly what that is or if I'm even using it. I know I'm not using apps2sd or anything like that.

I may follow the suggestions anyway, and backup my SD card, format it using AmonRA, restore the contents, then try again. But ugh.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
Why aren't you using Titanium Backup to restore all your apps & data? Or is this happening on every boot? If that's the case, backup everything with Titanium, boot into CWM, wipe everything (including the dalvik cache), do a clean install of CM7, then restore your apps with Titanium Backup, ensuring that your default install location isn't set to "external" in the CM settings.

Nupraptor fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 2, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Nupraptor posted:

Why aren't you using Titanium Backup to restore all your apps & data? Our is this happening on every boot?

I should not have to use Titanium Backup to restore apps if I'm going from one CM7 build to another. Everything should remain installed and functional during the process (as long as I don't wipe data). The problem is that this is not happening. Many things remain, but others mysteriously disappear. On top of that, if I attempt to restore the missing items with Titanium Backup, the restore fails.

There is some greater underlying issue, but I do not know what it is.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Are the things disappearing applications on the system partition?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Sizzlechest posted:

Are the things disappearing applications on the system partition?
I am not sure how to identify this, but maybe this will clarify:

I do not use apps2sd or the built in equivalent, so everything I install, I install to internal memory. At a glance, it looks like most of the apps that disappear are those installed outside of the Market (Tasker, things from the Amazon App Store), but then there are also things like Google Talk that go missing as well, so I can't really tell if there's a specific pattern to it. It always seems to be the same apps, though (at least, the ones I notice.. I've never gone through and made an exact list).

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I rooted my Sensation with Revolutionary on Friday, and other than the initial "Not working with T-Mobile USA Sensations" hiccup, it went fairly painlessly. I've tried a couple different ROMs - for now, all the ROMs are Sense-based, and I think the best is Virtuous. It has a beta overclocking/undervolting kernel and it seems snappier than the stock ROM. CyanogenMod 7 is going to be released pretty soon, I think.

McJesus
Jun 28, 2002

Hamburglar posted:

I know this is a crazy long shot, but I'm hoping there's a fix for it.

The only problem I am having with CM7 on my Thunderbolt is that no matter what the hell I plug into a headphone jack, even if it's Gameboy headphones from 1989, it thinks I am plugging in something with a microphone (you can even see a little microphone icon on top). This makes it impossible to answer the phone while listening to Pandora in my car.

Searching, it seems a lot of people complained about this in the respective forum over at XDA, but they pretty much ignored it and released an update not fixing it. Is there any hackneyed way I can go about fixing it myself?

That sucks. For what it's worth I just flashed RC1.4 and don't have that issue. What version of CM7?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Looks like CM7 for the 3D is hopefully coming Real Soon Now

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Wow, I didn't expect any news on CM7 for the E3D this soon. I wonder if they'll be able to keep 3D working though. Yeah it's a gimmick that a lot of people don't care about, but it's a fun gimmick that I wouldn't want to lose for CM7.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

So she decided to give the stock LG "Gingerbread" (in quotes because it's not Gingerbread at all) a run since I'm sure we'll be calling T-Mobile again.
What does this mean?

I've been relatively lucky. I've only ever had a few sleep comas, and random reboots are pretty rare, as well. If my GPS worked sufficiently, I wouldn't really have any problems with this phone other than the terrible battery life.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Wow, I didn't expect any news on CM7 for the E3D this soon. I wonder if they'll be able to keep 3D working though. Yeah it's a gimmick that a lot of people don't care about, but it's a fun gimmick that I wouldn't want to lose for CM7.

I can't loving wait to see people mod the 3D stuff somehow.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

What does this mean?

I've been relatively lucky. I've only ever had a few sleep comas, and random reboots are pretty rare, as well. If my GPS worked sufficiently, I wouldn't really have any problems with this phone other than the terrible battery life.
The update uses the same kernel that's in the Froyo release. Not all of the Gingerbread framework (which is why the data/signal doesn't turn green on Google connection and there's no screen-off animation) but enough of it is there to break things (like the LG camera). The picture is a little murky on what exactly deviates from AOSP, but it clearly isn't what you'd expect to be there in a 2.3.3 release.

That said so far she's been happy with the GPS in this release but it's early yet. Edit: When I got home from work (where I typed this) she told me that the GPS lost it's lock several times on the way home yesterday. The battery meter also seems to be more accurate than CM7 was (which tended to jump around) but I can't confirm that as the granularity just isn't there on stock. The data/wifi handoff was hosed on Froyo, perfect on CM7, and predictably weird on this release. You'll see data and wifi on simultaneously on but only immediately after boot. After that it seems to function correctly.

She doesn't ask for a lot in a phone; working GPS, not dying, and working as advertised excepted so the stock ROM would suit her needs if it actually worked. The sleep comas though need to be zero, that's simply unacceptable.

It's odd that you and Casao mention reboots--as far as I know she's never had a reboot ever. Sleep comas about once every 48 hours or more, but never a reboot. That's strange to me.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 3, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Quote is not Edit. I thought Chrome's SALR prevented that, FERG??? :argh:

Edit for real this time: I talked to T-Mobile today and as of tomorrow she'll be using G2x number 3. One more and they'll swap it for a different model.

Christ I hate this phone.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 3, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I rooted my 3D the other night, and it reprovisioned automatically. Superuser works, most root apps work, busybox is installed. But for some reason, Titanium Backup can't get root access. Any ideas?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

I rooted my 3D the other night, and it reprovisioned automatically. Superuser works, most root apps work, busybox is installed. But for some reason, Titanium Backup can't get root access. Any ideas?

I know this is pretty basic but have you tried clearing data? And if that doesn't work possibly uninstalling the app and re-installing it? I've had that problem a few times and it's usually fixed by a re-install.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Codiusprime posted:

I know this is pretty basic but have you tried clearing data? And if that doesn't work possibly uninstalling the app and re-installing it? I've had that problem a few times and it's usually fixed by a re-install.

I did that the first time, and cleared data, reinstalled again to be sure. No change. Oh well, I'll wait for a good ROM and do a full wipe at that point.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Is there a way to remove ad blocking on an unrooted phone? I had my phone rooted before gingerbread was released and had adfree installed but when I unrooted my phone to install gingerbread I apparently didn't realize I needed to do something extra to remove the ad blocking. Now I am stuck with a stock gingerbread droid x with adblocking still on my phone. Is there an easy fix? I haven't found any working oneclick roots and I'd really like to be able to do this without having to do a million things. Any help is greatly appreciated.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hello internet posted:

Is there a way to remove ad blocking on an unrooted phone? I had my phone rooted before gingerbread was released and had adfree installed but when I unrooted my phone to install gingerbread I apparently didn't realize I needed to do something extra to remove the ad blocking. Now I am stuck with a stock gingerbread droid x with adblocking still on my phone. Is there an easy fix? I haven't found any working oneclick roots and I'd really like to be able to do this without having to do a million things. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You will have to edit the hosts file and you'll need root to do it. And if you're on GB you'll have to SBF back to 2.2 to root.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You will have to edit the hosts file and you'll need root to do it. And if you're on GB you'll have to SBF back to 2.2 to root.

And if you sbf that should fix the issue anyways. SBF -> ota update shouldn't take long to do at all too.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

hello internet posted:

I'm curious, why do you want to remove ad blocking?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

SLOSifl posted:

I did that the first time, and cleared data, reinstalled again to be sure. No change. Oh well, I'll wait for a good ROM and do a full wipe at that point.
I should add that Superuser doesn't even show a request from titanium backup. That seems odd to me.

Edit: fixed. Deleted /data/bin. Leftover poo poo from some temp-root deal. Su and a few scripts.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 4, 2011

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Excuse the newbie questions. I just picked up a HTC Sensation because a family member lost their phone and I'm giving them my Nexus One. Should I even bother trying to root the Sensation now, or should I just use it stock and wait for the Samsung Galaxy SII to come out on T-Mobile (using Costco's 90 day hardware exchange policy)?

I'm very used to CM7, and like it. But the only real feature of rooting I used was tethering.

It looks like "wireless hotspot" is built into Sense on the Sensation, but do they charge extra for that?

Is it even possible for me to transfer my SMS messages from the Nexus One (CM7) to the Sensation (Stock Sense)?

Thanks!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Treytor posted:

Excuse the newbie questions. I just picked up a HTC Sensation because a family member lost their phone and I'm giving them my Nexus One. Should I even bother trying to root the Sensation now, or should I just use it stock and wait for the Samsung Galaxy SII to come out on T-Mobile (using Costco's 90 day hardware exchange policy)?

I'm very used to CM7, and like it. But the only real feature of rooting I used was tethering.

It looks like "wireless hotspot" is built into Sense on the Sensation, but do they charge extra for that?

Is it even possible for me to transfer my SMS messages from the Nexus One (CM7) to the Sensation (Stock Sense)?

Thanks!

Unless you really want the S-AMOLED+ screen of the S II, the Sensation should be fine. It's a good phone. The tethering option in the notification power control is a pay feature. You can root the Sensation if you'd like, S-OFF has come out in the last few days for it.

For SMS, use SMS Backup+. It backs up your texts to a separate Gmail label, and I believe you can restore them too.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Thanks for the quick reply. I can't find any information on how much tethering costs... are you sure it's extra on t-mobile US?

Looks like SMS Backup is exactly what I needed, thanks!

I'm thinking for now I'll just not worry about rooting and get used to Sense, which doesn't seem too bad so far.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Treytor posted:

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't find any information on how much tethering costs... are you sure it's extra on t-mobile US?
The official tethering plan is $15/mo.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Treytor posted:

Looks like SMS Backup is exactly what I needed, thanks!

I'm thinking for now I'll just not worry about rooting and get used to Sense, which doesn't seem too bad so far.

Just stick with the Sensation. Sense 3 is actually pretty good and if you want AOSP CyanogenMod is literally right around the corner for it.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

SLOSifl posted:

I know you said you have busybox installed already, but did you acquire it through Titanium Backup itself? If not, hit menu > problems and download busybox that way. It's worked for me in the past.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I'm curious, why do you want to remove ad blocking?

Because it still has ad placeholders and defeats the purpose of blocking ads. I don't care about the advertisement itself, just the way they take up screen space. Plus I've come across a few apps that can detect ad blocking and won't work if it is present.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Update from HTC on unlocking bootloaders. Phones will continue to ship locked, but they will be unlockable with a web based tool. I think this is fair that way phones are protected out of the box, but a simple utility will provide access. The only hitch I see is that you have to register to get an unlock code and you acknowledge you may void your warranty.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/htc/update-on-bootloaders/10150305151453084

quote:

Since our last update, many of you have asked how the bootloader unlocking process will actually work, and in particular why HTC's most recently released devices still have a locked bootloader. Rest assured we're making progress toward our goal to roll out the first software updates in August to support unlocking for the global HTC Sensation, followed soon by the HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile and the HTC EVO 3D on Sprint. Because unlocking the bootloader provides extensive control over the device and modifications may cause operation, security and experience issues, new devices will continue to ship locked but will support user-initiated unlocking using a new Web-based tool.

So how will this work? The Web tool, which will launch this month, requires that you register an account with a valid e-mail address and accept legal disclaimers that unlocking may void all or parts of your warranty. Then plug in your phone to a computer with the Android SDK loaded to retrieve a device identifier token, which you can then enter into the Web tool to receive a unique unlock key via e-mail. Finally, apply the key to your device and unlocking will be initiated on your phone.

We're excited to bring bootloader unlocking to developers and enthusiasts, and we feel this new Web tool will meet your needs and continue to provide customers with the best experience. Thanks to the community for supporting these efforts!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How close is CM7 to stable for Galaxy S2s?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

comper posted:

I know you said you have busybox installed already, but did you acquire it through Titanium Backup itself? If not, hit menu > problems and download busybox that way. It's worked for me in the past.
My problem was fixed by removing temp-root leftovers, but Titanium Backup no longer includes an option to download busybox. It has its own built in version.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

brc64 posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot that I tried to post something last night and it didn't go through. Attempt 2!

The random issues I've been having with the CM 7.1 nightly I'm on have been enough that I was ready to try a newer build last night. I downloaded it through ROM Manager, went through the install process, and... the same problem that I've been having since around 7.0 RC1 happened again. After it boots, half my apps are gone. Tasker, Weatherbug Elite, News and Weather widget... no particular rhyme or reason for it... they are just gone.

I did a nandroid restore and I'm back to normal for now. I had thought that maybe something was hosed up before when I was having this problem with every single CM update I tried to install, so before I installed the build I'm on now I did a full wipe, hoping that would take care of it. Turns out, not so much.

I've tried searching on the issue, but the closest thing I can find are some people complaining about similar but not quite identical problems and pinning them on Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5, saying something about it messing up sd-ext, but I don't know exactly what that is or if I'm even using it. I know I'm not using apps2sd or anything like that.

I may follow the suggestions anyway, and backup my SD card, format it using AmonRA, restore the contents, then try again. But ugh.

I tried flashing Ra Recovery through ROM Manager, but it apparently didn't work. It would just keep kicking me back to the bootloader every time I tried to go into recovery. So I just manually downloaded it and flashed it my own drat self, and that worked.

Just for kicks, I did another nandroid backup with Ra, then tried flashing the same CM7 nightly that gave me trouble with Clockwork. Not a single problem. All my apps are present and accounted for. So somehow Clockwork recovery was loving up the update installation, and has been the source of my troubles all along.

I wish I could use ROM Manager with Ra. :(

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
For any Evo 3D people trying to decide if any of the 300 ROMs on xda are actually worth a poo poo, I've been running Synergy Nightly for the past four days or so and it's been rock solid.

It adds a few things I missed from WebOS like a brightness slider in the notification drawer, wifi tethering, removal of useless bloatware like Qik, etc.

The advanced settings app is nice as well. You can change lowmem settings to better fit your usage patterns, and overclocking is coming in a day or two.

It's a nice stop-over until CM7 is released (or for people who want to stick with Sense).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Update from HTC on unlocking bootloaders. Phones will continue to ship locked, but they will be unlockable with a web based tool. I think this is fair that way phones are protected out of the box, but a simple utility will provide access. The only hitch I see is that you have to register to get an unlock code and you acknowledge you may void your warranty.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/htc/update-on-bootloaders/10150305151453084

HTC shouldn't have to deal with your brick because you flashed a corrupt radio image or wiped your WiMAX RSA keys. As long as they still take care of your non-functional power button or any other physical defects if you unlock, that's fair to customers who want to unlock and HTC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Quote is not Edit. I thought Chrome's SALR prevented that, FERG??? :argh:

Edit for real this time: I talked to T-Mobile today and as of tomorrow she'll be using G2x number 3. One more and they'll swap it for a different model.

Christ I hate this phone.
It's really that bad? I wanted one because thats the only GSM phone right now with a Tegra2. How is the phone when you root/flash a rom? If people are having as much problems as it seems I should pick one up cheap on craigslist.