Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
Could I request a copy for my roommate? He's never played it, but says he'd give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RichieWolk posted:

Could I request a copy for my roommate? He's never played it, but says he'd give it a try.

Are you 100% sure he's actually going to play it to the end (preferably with Biomod) and do you think he'll enjoy it?

e; VVV

RichieWolk posted:

Well I'd be setting it up with shifter/biomod for him. I don't think he likes screwing with mods/configs, but he loves older videogames and FPS stuff.

If you give me an email address to gift to and you promise to use Biomod and not Shifter, I will gift him a copy. :colbert:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 1, 2011

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
Well I'd be setting it up with shifter/biomod for him. I don't think he likes screwing with mods/configs, but he loves older videogames and FPS stuff.

EDIT: Send to edited. Time to go download biomod then!

RichieWolk fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 7, 2011

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Owned this game for 11 years, beaten it at least 5 times, and this was the first time I ever tried going down the ventilation shaft into Area 51.

"Jump! You can make it!" :lol:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm thinking about doing a pistol-only run before DX:HR comes out, and what's better for the regular 10mm pistol; laser sight or scope? I know the scope cancels the laser sight out, which is why I want to choose one early and stick with it throughout the game.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

closeted republican posted:

I'm thinking about doing a pistol-only run before DX:HR comes out, and what's better for the regular 10mm pistol; laser sight or scope? I know the scope cancels the laser sight out, which is why I want to choose one early and stick with it throughout the game.

If I remember correctly, there's a laser mod in the bunker-like thing on Liberty Island, and you can purchase a scope from one of the troopers right after the first mission for 700 credits, so why not have both?

The scope makes the laser useless when zoomed in, but in close range combat, the laser is still extremely useful.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

NecroBob posted:

If I remember correctly, there's a laser mod in the bunker-like thing on Liberty Island, and you can purchase a scope from one of the troopers right after the first mission for 700 credits, so why not have both?

The scope makes the laser useless when zoomed in, but in close range combat, the laser is still extremely useful.

Really? I thought the scope completely cancelled out the effects of the laser sight when you put it on your pistol. That makes things a bit easier.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Really? I thought the scope completely cancelled out the effects of the laser sight when you put it on your pistol. That makes things a bit easier.

Nope, you can have both.

Also if you install Biomod like you're supposed to (or Shifter if you're slightly wrong) the laser sight is just a laser sight, because it fixes the bug where the laser sight makes the gun 100% accurate.

RichieWolk: you have mail.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
Woo time to get poo poo installed! Reading the biomod notes makes me mad that someone suggested shifter over this to me in the past. :argh:

edit: grr stupid fucker doesn't get how steam works. No matter! Deus ex will conquer him!

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
So my roommate's been playing for like an hour, and has taken a liking to throwing the baton, then running after it, picking it up, and repeating. :3:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RichieWolk posted:

So my roommate's been playing for like an hour, and has taken a liking to throwing the baton, then running after it, picking it up, and repeating. :3:

Thrown crowbars are the best way to kill guards.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thrown crowbars are the best way to kill guards.

You can do this? :aaaaa:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
In biomod you can (or shifter, i forget). It gives a lot of the melee weapons the option to be thrown like throwing knives.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

It gives a lot of the melee weapons the option to be thrown like throwing knives.

Which is why Biomod owns.

(Actually it's one of the many, many reasons why Biomod owns.)

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Okay goddamnit I have been re-playing this game for twenty drat hours (Steam version) and I can't escape from the exploding freighter because the game crashes no matter what I do. What The gently caress! Apparently this is a semi-common problem and the only way to fix it is to skip the loving level? I don't know! Help me goons I just want to hurry up and finish before Human Revolution comes out!

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

paint dry posted:

Okay goddamnit I have been re-playing this game for twenty drat hours (Steam version) and I can't escape from the exploding freighter because the game crashes no matter what I do. What The gently caress! Apparently this is a semi-common problem and the only way to fix it is to skip the loving level? I don't know! Help me goons I just want to hurry up and finish before Human Revolution comes out!
Important question (to me): Do you have Biomod installed?

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Lork posted:

Important question (to me): Do you have Biomod installed?

No. I don't have any mods installed. Anyway I did a level skip to the part right after, so it's fine.

I played right up to Vandenburg afterwards. I can't believe this is the first time I've stumbled across the sentient AI in Everett's apartment! What with that and the dude he's keeping on ice (seemingly just for fun) in the other room, that is one creepy place. Honestly I can't believe I've always missed Morpheus until now, it brings the whole story together!

I hope Human Revolution has a good amount of missable stuff too. I feel like you don't see it all that much these days, outside of open-ended Bethesda games.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

paint dry posted:

No. I don't have any mods installed. Anyway I did a level skip to the part right after, so it's fine.

I played right up to Vandenburg afterwards. I can't believe this is the first time I've stumbled across the sentient AI in Everett's apartment! What with that and the dude he's keeping on ice (seemingly just for fun) in the other room, that is one creepy place. Honestly I can't believe I've always missed Morpheus until now, it brings the whole story together!

I hope Human Revolution has a good amount of missable stuff too. I feel like you don't see it all that much these days, outside of open-ended Bethesda games.
OK, good. That happened to me while testing and I couldn't figure out why it was happening, other than that it must be related to the screen shaking effect somehow. At least I know I didn't cause it to happen somehow.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Lork posted:

OK, good. That happened to me while testing and I couldn't figure out why it was happening, other than that it must be related to the screen shaking effect somehow. At least I know I didn't cause it to happen somehow.

I saw posts going back to 2003 complaining about it, so it might just be the GOTY edition or something. It's to do with the AI scripting getting stuck in an infinite loop and there's nothing you can do to fix it except apparently you can if you load a save from before you get on the freighter (I didn't have one :().

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

paint dry posted:

I feel like you don't see it all that much these days, outside of open-ended Bethesda games.

Try playing something by Obsidian some time. Like Alpha Protocol :v:

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Try playing something by Obsidian some time. Like Alpha Protocol :v:

Oh yeah! And Obsidian games.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RichieWolk posted:

You're going to constantly update us on his progress, right? I have to know whether he saves Paul kills Navarre on the plane finds Gunther's killphrase goes in the ladies' restroom.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

No release yet, just a status update and more screenshots.

I'm making a high resolution UI replacement for Deus Ex. My mod is a straight texture replacement and as such it only requires a renderer that supports replacement textures. I use the DirectX 10 renderer from this guy. I actually had to get him to release a new patched version (26) to support the replacement textures since there was a bug that prevented me from forcing an alpha channel upon UI elements.

Most of the fonts are complete and I've been messing with recreating the UI windows as well, though it's pretty far from done. I aim to be as close as possible to the original artwork so everything, including the fonts, is actually made from scratch in inkscape and not sourced from an existing font set.

I'll probably be releasing an early version that just contains the high-resolution fonts once I've finished them. I might as well throw in high-res cursors too why not?

Compatibility with existing mods?
Unless the mod overwrites existing artwork in DeusExUI.u there should be no conflict, it's simply drop in and run. I've tested it with vanilla Deus Ex, Shifter and Biomod.

Isn't there some other project doing the same thing?
I didn't like the look of it. The fonts looked wonky and I didn't like its implementation.

Will it fix UI bugs?
No, it's simply a package of textures and there is no coding going on at all. I don't have the first idea how to do anything like that, though if there is an issue that you think you can fix I'd be happy to include it in a later release.

Oh my god JC a bomb!
A bomb!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Looks great, don't suppose there's any way of using this with DX9 is there? My video card can't cope with things made after 2007 :(

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

KillHour posted:

You're going to constantly update us on his progress, right? I have to know whether he saves Paul kills Navarre on the plane finds Gunther's killphrase goes in the ladies' restroom.

Oh he definitely went in the restroom. "MY FUCKIN BOSS JUST YELLED AT ME FOR BEIN A PERVERT STUPID TATTLETAIL BITCH" :haw:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

RichieWolk posted:

Oh he definitely went in the restroom. "MY FUCKIN BOSS JUST YELLED AT ME FOR BEIN A PERVERT STUPID TATTLETAIL BITCH" :haw:

Did you tell him to go in there, or did he figure it out himself?

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
I ain't telling him poo poo about nothing, besides basic controls of course. :)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The only thing I tell people is to get the GEP gun on Liberty Island because they'll definitely need it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Only if you're a retard and take the front entrance.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I can't see how anyone would not choose the GEP... Big cannon-like rocketshooter? Suuure.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
You get the GEP gun because there are going to be times between liberty island and the next GEP gun where you go "drat I wish I had a GEP gun/more lockpicks"

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SwissCM posted:

It's more that you'll find a sniper rifle and a crossbow a few steps away on Liberty Island, but won't find a GEP gun until 1/3rd the way through the game.

The GEP gun and the idiosyncrasies of the merchants (thousands of credits for a single-use pair of night-vision goggles :jerkbag:) are two thing I make sure new DX players know about because there's no way to know your first time and it's really frustrating.

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AoRmlAZVTs Deus Ex irl
[TEDMED talk]

poop fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 4, 2011

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
TED never fails to amaze and educate me. I didn't even realise bionics had advanced that far :stare:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
That's great and all. but there was no mention of a SKUL-GUN.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SwissCM posted:

Front entrance? There are locks to be picked all over Liberty Island.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I always pick the GEP gun. It can help you stretch out those lockpicks, and is the most reliable way to take out large robots. The Sniper Rifle doesn't really start getting that good until you get your rifle skill up to level 3 (when it gets insanely good), and the crossbow is situationally useful at best.

At least if you're terrible at/hate stealth as much as I do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Twitch posted:

I always pick the GEP gun. It can help you stretch out those lockpicks, and is the most reliable way to take out large robots. The Sniper Rifle doesn't really start getting that good until you get your rifle skill up to level 3 (when it gets insanely good), and the crossbow is situationally useful at best.

At least if you're terrible at/hate stealth as much as I do.
The best use for the crossbow is escaping UNATCO without killing any of my former teammates.

Remember: a GEP takedown is always the most silent takedown.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Hrmm, exactly which voice file has the "OH MY GOD JC A BOMB!" line?
I'd like to extract the original audio myself, I assume it's in one of the DeusExConAudioMisson##.u pack files but there's way too many clips in each to just listen through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Reive posted:

Hrmm, exactly which voice file has the "OH MY GOD JC A BOMB!" line?
I'd like to extract the original audio myself, I assume it's in one of the DeusExConAudioMisson##.u pack files but there's way too many clips in each to just listen through.

ConAudioMission11_61.wav is Jock's line and JC's infamous response is the one right after it. I just found which Mission file DeusExConText.u called and then played hot or cold with the extracted files (they aren't really that messy). Then again, there's probably some easier way, though it only took a few minutes to actually do it this way.