Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Mogambo posted:

Sometimes I jealous whenever I listen to a live comedy podcast that I live in the midwest (Iowa, yay) where nobody ever ever goes. The Proopcast has been one of my favorites (especially now that it comes out more than once every month) and I really wish I could see him live simply b/c of the great energy he seems to have with the audience.

The podcast fantastic and he is much much cooler than what he seems on *ahem* That One Show everyone knows him for. Extremely affectacious and effeminate, but awesome nonetheless. Also, 'kittens' is the best expletive ever.

Also Raspberries.

"I am heterosexual but I make no case for it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Civil posted:

I think part of Scott's shtick is liking unpopular unfunny things - plane breaks, banal catchphrase discussion, super long intro themes, plugs, Tig Notaro, etc.

He also despises things that are actually entertaining, like he does with Jukebox Jury and Jack the Lumberyard owner.

Odd how these things he despises wind up on the show he hosts. It's almost as if someone here is missing the point.

(Imagine that -- someone who dislikes Tig demonstrating that they have a poor grasp of complex, character-based comedy. Wouldn't that be something?)

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Civil posted:

I think part of Scott's shtick is liking unpopular unfunny things - plane breaks, banal catchphrase discussion, super long intro themes, plugs, Tig Notaro, etc.

He also despises things that are actually entertaining, like he does with Jukebox Jury and Jack the Lumberyard owner.
Jack the Lumberyard Owner is, I think, the third funniest thing CDR/CBB has ever done.

The second funniest is Bob Ducca's list of ailments.

The first funniest is iBrain.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Civil posted:

Also Scott's favorite song of all time is "Batdance" and second favorite song is "Octopus's Garden." I used to think he was joking but after listening to Who Charted I'm not so sure.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Strange Matter posted:

Jack the Lumberyard Owner is, I think, the third funniest thing CDR/CBB has ever done.

The second funniest is Bob Ducca's list of ailments.

The first funniest is iBrain.

I would swap one and two and replace three with Cakeboss. Specifically the thing that other posters have commented on about when someone says he was bitten by a radioactive cake-bug he always corrects them to "No, just a regular cake-bug."

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
There was also the unfortunate time he baked an R2D2 cake and it became sentient...too much cinnamon. Sadly he had to destroy it by eating it to death.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
The latest Joe Rogan podcast with this Aubrey fellow was just a bit too much for me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

substitute posted:

Boy, Scott Aukerman likes pretty terrible music. I don't know if this is surprising, or if it makes perfect sense. Maybe both.

I'm beginning to think that when he says Batdance is his favorite song he's being completely serious.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

t3ch3 posted:

I'm beginning to think that when he says Batdance is his favorite song he's being completely serious.

As someone that actually likes Prince's Batman record, I assure you, he is being serious.

Spiral Architect
Jun 26, 2004

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Holy poo poo, this is Spike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxv-RR2biYo

Ahahahahahah. I didn't picture him as black. Awesome.

Yep, that's him. He's SoapKing1965 on pretty much every social media site.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Holy poo poo I hadn't even thought to try comedy albums/stand-up in general on Spotify.. There are a lot of short sets from Comedy Death Ray on there.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You know what else is available on Spotify?

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Tig but not Jen Kirkman gently caress you spotify.

Nadine Hauklund
May 17, 2002

A boy's best friend is his mother.
Listened to the first episode of Girl On Guy because I do love a good diarrhea story, but Aisha Taylor is just the worst. Cannot stop talking over, around, and through. Unbearable! Maybe she'll become a better host in a few months and because I loved her on Talk Soup I'll give it a chance then.

But seriously, lady, if H. Jon Benjamin is telling an epic poo poo-your-pants story, you shut the gently caress up and let him tell it.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

t3ch3 posted:

You know what else is available on Spotify?

Man... you guys... You're killing me... I actually listened to Nuturo's album today. Just not my cup of tea. There.

urbster1
Apr 13, 2005

y⊙U aRE b⊙RING
Guys, if there's any reason to hate Tig Notaro, it's because she unjustly caused another female comic thousands of dollars in court fees, jail time, and attempted to shut down her comedy career (the Tig Notaro travesty).

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

According to the AV Club's review of the record, "I just threw up in my mouth a little" is a repeated punchline, so Notaro is basically a 2005-era GBS poster.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Man... you guys... You're killing me... I actually listened to Nuturo's album today. Just not my cup of tea. There.

I like Tig but I sympathize with you Lou as far as unpopular podcast opinions. I think Doug Benson is offensively terrible and is getting by on having funny friends. Some battles you just have to sit out, my man.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

t3ch3 posted:

I don't know, can anyone really dislike Batdance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxySK01v1os

It has to be admired if only for the sheer audacity of the thing. Prince made a 7 minute music video where he appears as a character he calls The Gemini, half Batman/half Joker.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Lou Reads the Tig Notaro travesty?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'm finding everything about this very suspect, especially because it's written terribly. Also pretty much every other sentence is "they're lying" but then she doesn't say what they were lying about. She also compares her and her sister to wikileaks.

quote:

To be continued: The story is 48 pages long and will be posted in installments. It will begin on April 7th 2008, and stop in the present.

wow

Dustin1986
Jul 13, 2006
I think you've stumbled upon Tig's stalker. If you look at clips of Tig on youtube, this crazy person will usually be in the comments section calling Tig a creepy weirdo. How do you deal with people like this? Poor Tig. :(

The "no moleste" sign on her door isn't enough.

Dustin1986 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 5, 2011

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Yeah, that's the scrawl of a cray-cray

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

The Capm posted:

I think Doug Benson is offensively terrible and is getting by on having funny friends. Some battles you just have to sit out, my man.

I'm sort of slowing coming to this conclusion as well. :( Forming a "Marijuana" image also worked really well for him.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I read that whole thing, and it is one of the crazier things I've read. (In that it's written by a crazy person.) By the time she's explaining how the fourth judge or whatever was an evil unlawful liar, you start to wonder why she doesn't even guess at why all these people are conspiring to ruin her life.

HaterBaby posted:

According to the AV Club's review of the record, "I just threw up in my mouth a little" is a repeated punchline, so Notaro is basically a 2005-era GBS poster.

To be fair, the AV Club says that she talks about the overuse of the phrase.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

j8910 posted:

I'm sort of slowing coming to this conclusion as well. :( Forming a "Marijuana" image also worked really well for him.
Well according to him during an appearance on the Joe Rogan podcast, he doesn't see himself as the 'pot comic'. No, he's just a regular comic who just happens to be stoned 24/7, makes documentaries about pot, and has large chunks of his material dedicated to the subject. I still like him and all, but my opinion of him did dip a bit after seeing that show.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

The Capm posted:

I like Tig but I sympathize with you Lou as far as unpopular podcast opinions. I think Doug Benson is offensively terrible and is getting by on having funny friends. Some battles you just have to sit out, my man.

I agree. If he didn't consistently have good guests there's no way I'd listen to his podcast.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

bango skank posted:

Well according to him during an appearance on the Joe Rogan podcast, he doesn't see himself as the 'pot comic'. No, he's just a regular comic who just happens to be stoned 24/7, makes documentaries about pot, and has large chunks of his material dedicated to the subject. I still like him and all, but my opinion of him did dip a bit after seeing that show.

I like Doug and think the best bits he has are non pot-related. For me it kind of sucks that he's known as a "pot comic", but he's done it to himself so it can't be helped. I'd like to know the whole story about him and his mom, his taking care of her. It gets alluded to a lot. but he shies away from discussing it.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

wafflesnsegways posted:

To be fair, the AV Club says that she talks about the overuse of the phrase.

Jeez, my mistake. That was all that really bothered me about her too. Back to no opinion.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

"Teepkick Shakur" RE: Greg Proops posted:

"I am heterosexual but I make no case for it".

Also "I know what the gently caress I sound like, OKAY?"

I loving LOVE Greg, and I get where people are coming from when they say he sounds gay, but I think he just has a weird Valley Accent (which was personified by girls in the eighties), mixed with the fact that he's kind of old, mixed with the fact that he speaks in really flowery elocution. I could listen to that guy ramble on for hours. I get bummed out when they get to "question time" because I know the show's over soon.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Riptor posted:

Goddammit Jonathan, no sorry, you don't understand karma better than a bunch of Hindus

Oh God, I wish sometimes he'd just leave things alone. When he was reading from Wikipedia or whatever and kept saying "casualty" instead of obviously "causality" I was really embarrassed for him. More and more I think Seth just sits there and lets Jonathan dig himself into a hole when he starts talking about something as if he's an authority on the topic that he doesn't know anything about.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I used to love listening to Greg Proops. Then I had a friend who started to talk like that all the time, combined with some hipster BS, and now whenever I hear Proops I just get annoyed. I can take him in short doses, but not for a full podcast.

Side note: I'm currently catching up on the Green Room with Paul Provenza show on Showtime. It's a half hour TV show that features four or five comedians chatting with Provenza with a small audience. Just saw the one with Proops, Kathy Griffith, Dana Gould, and an old clarinet player whose name I didn't catch. Hilarious, and I just wish it were a full hour.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

wafflesnsegways posted:

I read that whole thing, and it is one of the crazier things I've read. (In that it's written by a crazy person.) By the time she's explaining how the fourth judge or whatever was an evil unlawful liar, you start to wonder why she doesn't even guess at why all these people are conspiring to ruin her life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQmwevsggg

Yup, batshit.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 5, 2011

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

The Modern Leper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQmwevsggg

Yup, batshit.

That was, uhhh, wow

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

benito posted:

Side note: I'm currently catching up on the Green Room with Paul Provenza show on Showtime. It's a half hour TV show that features four or five comedians chatting with Provenza with a small audience. Just saw the one with Proops, Kathy Griffith, Dana Gould, and an old clarinet player whose name I didn't catch. Hilarious, and I just wish it were a full hour.

That was Franklyn Ajaye. He was the friend of the family General on Deadwood. I never realized he was a comedian until watching that episode.

The Green Room is a pretty great show, some really great/funny guests. I also just wish it was an hour rather than a half hour. Seems to end right when things really pick up, and you can tell by the way they start out they have probably been sitting there drinking for a while already.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

If anyone lives in Greenpoint, NY I am doing a mini-Lou Reads segment @ Red Star in the midst of a pretty good stand up line-up. Also showing a video clip I am finishing up, too. I'm just getting a feel for reading in front of people. If it was improv I'd be fine but I haven't really sat down and read stuff in front of people before so we'll see!

EDIT: If you show up before 9pm you get ONE FREE BEER! Just sayin'...

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
whats up with the Adam Carolla podcast? I cant access the website and there has not been a new episode since tuesday

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Trench_Rat posted:

whats up with the Adam Carolla podcast? I cant access the website and there has not been a new episode since tuesday

??? I've been getting the episodes through itunes just fine all week.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

I read 5 or 6 paragraphs, and started to skim thinking "This is a bit, right?"

This person obviously suffers from paranoid delusions and thinks the world is conspiring against her. It's pretty sad.

substitute fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
So Moshe Kasher, a pretty funny UCBLA comedian and podcast guest started his own podcast with Neal Brennan and Tim and Eric's DJ called The Champs.

I'm over two-thirds through the first episode and so far it's pretty so-so, but I think it might be worth watching or checking out down the road.

• Locked thread