Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Baseband does downgrade when installing via Apple's servers. If I was on iOS 5 right now and wanted to downgrade and jailbreak, I would do a DFU restore to 4.3.5 via iTunes and then restore to 4.3.3 after that with TinyUmbrella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
What? This has never, ever been the case.

I'm no expert on beta software but since Apple's stance has always been "you can't downgrade betas" anyway, I don't know why this would change it.

As far as official releases are concerned, even back in the days before SHSHes and all that fun, baseband changes were one way and one way only. You could freely install whatever old version of iOS you wanted, but the baseband always stays on whatever the latest version was.

edit: and your post has nothing to do with basebands so I'm not sure if you're just confused or what.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm going to the AT&T store tomorrow in the NW U.S. to contract for two iPhone 4s.

Is it likely I will be forced to get them already running 4.3.5, does it depend on stock/availability, and/or has anyone ever gotten them to try and find a 4.3.3 in the store?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

What? This has never, ever been the case.

I'm no expert on beta software but since Apple's stance has always been "you can't downgrade betas" anyway, I don't know why this would change it.

As far as official releases are concerned, even back in the days before SHSHes and all that fun, baseband changes were one way and one way only. You could freely install whatever old version of iOS you wanted, but the baseband always stays on whatever the latest version was.

edit: and your post has nothing to do with basebands so I'm not sure if you're just confused or what.

I'm telling you right now, you're wrong. Baseband will downgrade--only to the version that corresponds to the version of iOS Apple is signing--if you're installing via Apple's servers. I've personally installed iOS 5 and gone back to previous versions and it has reverted my baseband without issue every time.

Apple doesn't support downgrading your iOS version from the beta version, meaning they're not going to help your stupid rear end do it after you realize the beta sucks, but if you put the phone into DFU mode and restore to a version Apple is signing without the use of any third-party (read: TinyUmbrella) tool, your phone will be exactly like it was when that version was first installed, baseband included.

You obviously can't restore from a backup though.

maduin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 4, 2011

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

trilljester posted:

I have a sneaky suspicion that the latest version of Cydia is not fully compatible with firmware 3.1.3 (possibly all 3.x series). Does anyone on iOS 4 have this issue?

Basically, after installing a Cydia app, it'll ask me to Restart Springboard. I click the button and the screen goes black with the rotating circle animation.. and it hangs there. I left it going for about 15-20 minutes the other night. Only way to get out of it is to do a hard poweroff (power button + home button hold). On reboot, everything is fine, but it makes it a real pain to install stuff.

This is on my old iPhone 3G which I'm using as a glorified iPod Touch now. I had to do the old Exit Recovery from Tiny Umbrella to get it to load 3.1.3, I'm wondering if something went wacky with that.

Any ideas, or is it just poo poo out of luck and I should go back to 4.2.1?

I've had the same problem on an iPad2 on iOS 4.3.3. After forcing the restart it seems fine and like whatever it was applying applied though. I have no loving idea what's up.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Tapedump posted:

I'm going to the AT&T store tomorrow in the NW U.S. to contract for two iPhone 4s.

Is it likely I will be forced to get them already running 4.3.5, does it depend on stock/availability, and/or has anyone ever gotten them to try and find a 4.3.3 in the store?
In a Hawai`i Apple Store on Saturday I got a 4.3.3 (8J2) white iPhone4 32GB, if that means anything at all.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

maduin posted:

I'm telling you right now, you're wrong. Baseband will downgrade--only to the version that corresponds to the version of iOS Apple is signing--if you're installing via Apple's servers. I've personally installed iOS 5 and gone back to previous versions and it has reverted my baseband without issue every time.

Okay, I admitted that I am not 100% certain when it comes to betas and stuff, since I don't use them, but it sounds like you know what you're talking about. I still don't think this is the case with the normal software, although I guess it doesn't matter since there's only a day or two window where Apple is still signing something that isn't also the latest version (and thus the latest baseband). Thanks for the information though, anyway :) I was wrong.

Arrowsmith posted:

Hawai`i

Nice faux-okina.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Downgrading from iOS5 back to 4.3 does indeed downgrade your baseband. No, I hadn't heard of it being the case before either.

I still don't understand *why* exactly (if the only requirement is that Apple are still signing the older version, why can't you downgrade baseband with TinyUmbrella, and why did it seemingly only start occurring with iOS 5?).

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 5, 2011

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Okay, I admitted that I am not 100% certain when it comes to betas and stuff, since I don't use them, but it sounds like you know what you're talking about. I still don't think this is the case with the normal software, although I guess it doesn't matter since there's only a day or two window where Apple is still signing something that isn't also the latest version (and thus the latest baseband). Thanks for the information though, anyway :) I was wrong.

I read the portion you quoted and I sounded like a douche; I didn't mean to, so I'm sorry.

frumpsnake posted:

Downgrading from iOS5 back to 4.3 does indeed downgrade your baseband. No, I hadn't heard of it being the case before either.

I still don't understand *why* exactly (if the only requirement is that Apple are still signing the older version, why can't you downgrade baseband with TinyUmbrella, and why did it seemingly only start occurring with iOS 5?).

It's always been the case, at least in iOS4--I never tried it on 3, but I'd assume it worked. It's just almost always a non-issue because, like POCKET CHOMP said, Apple only signs old firmware for a day or two of overlap with new versions, and most people just won't upgrade if they want the older firmware.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I was *sure* that iOS 4 beta downgraders didn't get downgraded basebands on reverting to 3.x though. Oh well.

Supermercado
Aug 6, 2003
I've been trying for several days to come up with a notification/SMS system that I like but I just can't get all the pieces put together, hoping there's someone that has successfully done what I want or knows how to do it. I'm on a jailbroken 3GS on 4.3.3.

I'm a heavy Google Voice user. I use it for texting mostly but also for phones (I've got the Phone GV Extension for that) and I currently use the official Google Voice app. I spend most of my time near a computer so for the most part, I use the GV website for texting. I do, however, do a fair amount of texting via the GV app, and frequently switch back and forth between the two several times per day. What I like about this setup is that everything stays perfectly in sync, anything I send from my computer is reflected in the app and vice versa, even to the point of when I'm using the computer and my phone is sitting on my desk beside me, the push notifications on my phone are displayed when a new message arrives but are removed when I mark the message read on the computer.

That said, the GV app is kind of slow and I'd prefer to have a texting solution with more options, so I've explored the alternatives that I know of. I got the SMS GV Extension and tried using the default Messages app but that doesn't quite satisfy all my needs. Aside from the fact that if I dismiss a notification, the badge doesn't indicate that a message is there and I will most definitely forget that there's a message waiting. It also doesn't keep things 100% in sync with regards to messages sent/received from both my phone and computer. Which also means that when I reply to a message on my phone, the GV website isn't update to reflect that so when I come back to my computer, I've got conversations that I've probably already finished but have to mark as read still. I'm currently enrolled in the biteSMS trial and I'll admit, I haven't fully explored it yet, but it seems to have most of the same issues as the default Messages app, with the exception of the badge not indicating an unread message when it's dismissed from the notification.

That's half my question. The other half is with regards to notifications. I've tried Mobile Notifier and really want to like it but I just can't get it to work the way I think it's supposed to. It seems to work okay for the most part but when my phone is locked, it falls apart. I use LockInfo so I have the Mobile Notifier setting to display on the lock screen disabled, thinking I could get by with the antique lock alerts, but even when that setting is enabled, it doesn't appear to have any effect at all. I tried Notified Pro with various plugins but that doesn't quite satisfy, either.

Hopefully that's enough information to help me come up with a working solution. If I could pick between the SMS setup and notifications, I would pick the SMS system as I don't get many notifications that aren't for SMS, anyway, but I really would like to figure something out on the notification front if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've wasted so much time on this this week!

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Well I'm getting a bit tired of the state my iPad is in, I'm crashing into safe mode once a day at the moment and I've removed all of the Cydia things I have installed and it's still causing problems. I will need to format to factory and put 4.3 back on. Now I have the ssh blob saved from 4.3 thankfully but I'm not actually sure how I go about installing it again, I'm guessing I have to factory reset it to the latest firmware and then downgrade somehow?

I wont be able to use the pc my iPad relies on for a while yet and I was wondering if there is any way to fix the fact that iBooks crashes whenever I open a book without having to format the thing? I jail broke it with jailbreakme.com if that makes any difference

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
iBooks is hosed on jailbroken devices as far as I know.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Just to clarify for my upcoming iPad 2 purchase, 4.3.5 is the current firmware on all Wifi/CDMA/GSM iPads and cannot be jailbroken? The OP was a bit confusing, stating that there is no untethered jailbreak for 4.3.5, yet then states that the firmware cannot be jailbroken period.

So aside from finding a white whale on 4.3.3, my best bet is to wait for 5.0 to jailbreak?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Arrowsmith posted:

In a Hawai`i Apple Store on Saturday I got a 4.3.3 (8J2) white iPhone4 32GB, if that means anything at all.
Thanks. I was able to get both black and white 16GB phones running 4.3.3. Neato.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

m0isty posted:

iBooks is hosed on jailbroken devices as far as I know.

Well, iBooks works on 4.2.1!
But yeah, it's flaky on 4.1 and completely busted on 4.3 and later.

I hope no one actually wanted to open any of those books acquired from Apple!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

Well, iBooks works on 4.2.1!
But yeah, it's flaky on 4.1 and completely busted on 4.3 and later.

I hope no one actually wanted to open any of those books acquired from Apple!
Jailbroken iPhone 4 on 4.3.3 and I rarely have iBooks problems. Occasionally I get the error opening DRM'd books, but returning to my library once or twice fixes it.

Over The Road
Jan 6, 2006
Le singe est sur la branche

Solly posted:

Well I'm getting a bit tired of the state my iPad is in, I'm crashing into safe mode once a day at the moment and I've removed all of the Cydia things I have installed and it's still causing problems. I will need to format to factory and put 4.3 back on. Now I have the ssh blob saved from 4.3 thankfully but I'm not actually sure how I go about installing it again, I'm guessing I have to factory reset it to the latest firmware and then downgrade somehow?

I wont be able to use the pc my iPad relies on for a while yet and I was wondering if there is any way to fix the fact that iBooks crashes whenever I open a book without having to format the thing? I jail broke it with jailbreakme.com if that makes any difference

Oh Solly,

What a horrible time you have with your iPad.

I love the fact that now the pc your iPad relies on is out of action - nothing ever goes your way.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
What a bunch of crap. I've been telling people for weeks/months that Apple is still signing iOS 4.1, and suddenly it's being posted on various sites like it's some amazing new thing.

Yeah, Apple is still signing/never stopped signing 4.1:

http://twitter.com/#!/comex/status/99625996893954048
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/08/05/apple-signing-ios-4-1/

It's probably the best-performing 4.x release, but unfortunately suffers from "Call failed" issues, a flaky iBooks, and incompatibility with more and more 4.2/4.3 apps.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Any tips on increasing performance of an old-school 3GS? I'm willing to do almost anything at this point. It takes about 30 seconds to open Safari, wait for it to respond, open the bookmarks, and have it register me tapping on a link. I get stuttering in the springboard animations quite a bit. I'm on 4.3, jailbroken with jailbreakme.com. I don't have much from Cydia installed: SBSettings, MyWi, Snappy are about it right now (I never got around to reinstalling all my crap from when I moved to 4.3).

I guess my next move is going to be backing up my texts and just doing a complete restore, but I was hoping maybe there are some tricks I could try first.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

EC posted:

Any tips on increasing performance of an old-school 3GS? I'm willing to do almost anything at this point. It takes about 30 seconds to open Safari, wait for it to respond, open the bookmarks, and have it register me tapping on a link..

4.3 uses significantly more RAM than 4.1/4.2 on the 3GS, like 25%-50% more (and offers very little benefit to 3GS users).

With SBSettings, I have it show free RAM by the clock. When I get to under 60MB free or so, I start killing apps. iOS waits until it is totally out of RAM before it starts auto-closing things, which results in pauses, jerkiness, and long open times for some apps.

SwitcherMod will put an X on every open app in the Task Switcher, without having to press/hold to get it. This makes it a little quicker and easier to double-tap Home and start closing apps.

You could always downgrade to 4.1/4.2.1 if you want more speed. 4.1 is the quickest, but has issues with Call Failed, some apps not working (that require 4.2+), and iBooks sometimes telling you it can't open. I've found 4.2.1 to be the best blend of performance and "it just works" on the 3GS.

However, I don't remember 4.3.x being that bad as you describe. Usually after one *massive* load time, the app would run fine for me.
First step, backup everything and restore fresh to 4.3.3 (if that is what you want to keep). If that doesn't help, then try 4.2.1.
iTunes won't let you restore a backup made in 4.3.3 on 4.2.1, but DataDeposit will let you restore app settings and saved games backed up in 4.3.3 to 4.2.1.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jam2 posted:

If you didn't have a 4.3.3 SHSH and your 1st gen iPad was jailbroken on version 3.2, would you upgrade to 4.3.5 or remain at 3.2 with the JB?

And I keep getting errors when I try to update my JB'ed iPhone 4 from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3. I have Tiny Umbrella and SHSHs saved for a ton of different iOS versions included 4.3.3. I have the server running and I'm holding down shift to select a manually downloaded ipsw when I click the Update button in iTunes. What are some things I can try to make it past these errors?
Since I recommended you ask here and no one answered, I thought about it some more: I'd upgrade and wait for a new jailbreak. Mostly because many of my most-used apps require 4.x

(You still having upgrade issues? I reckon it's because apple's not signing 4.3.3 anymore.)

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

randyest posted:

Since I recommended you ask here and no one answered, I thought about it some more: I'd upgrade and wait for a new jailbreak. Mostly because many of my most-used apps require 4.x

(You still having upgrade issues? I reckon it's because apple's not signing 4.3.3 anymore.)

I have the 4.3.3 blob saved!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
So I finally broke down and jailbroke my 3GS today, and have basically NO idea what I'm doing. I just tried to connect my phone to my PC, and after plugging in the USB cable, the PC makes the "Device Connected" sound, then constantly repeats the "Device Disconnected" sound until I unplug the phone.

A quick googling gave me no help... Anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to start using custom text tones and stuff via biteSMS, but if I can't connect my phone to a computer I might as well just restore and go back to normal.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

RagingBoner posted:

So I finally broke down and jailbroke my 3GS today, and have basically NO idea what I'm doing. I just tried to connect my phone to my PC, and after plugging in the USB cable, the PC makes the "Device Connected" sound, then constantly repeats the "Device Disconnected" sound until I unplug the phone.
Sounds like a cable/port problem to me. I've never heard of a JB doing this.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

porktree posted:

Sounds like a cable/port problem to me. I've never heard of a JB doing this.

I did a hard reset of the phone (lock button and home button until it reset) and it fixed it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Xenomorph posted:

4.3 uses significantly more RAM than 4.1/4.2 on the 3GS, like 25%-50% more (and offers very little benefit to 3GS users).

With SBSettings, I have it show free RAM by the clock. When I get to under 60MB free or so, I start killing apps. iOS waits until it is totally out of RAM before it starts auto-closing things, which results in pauses, jerkiness, and long open times for some apps.

SwitcherMod will put an X on every open app in the Task Switcher, without having to press/hold to get it. This makes it a little quicker and easier to double-tap Home and start closing apps.

You could always downgrade to 4.1/4.2.1 if you want more speed. 4.1 is the quickest, but has issues with Call Failed, some apps not working (that require 4.2+), and iBooks sometimes telling you it can't open. I've found 4.2.1 to be the best blend of performance and "it just works" on the 3GS.

However, I don't remember 4.3.x being that bad as you describe. Usually after one *massive* load time, the app would run fine for me.
First step, backup everything and restore fresh to 4.3.3 (if that is what you want to keep). If that doesn't help, then try 4.2.1.
iTunes won't let you restore a backup made in 4.3.3 on 4.2.1, but DataDeposit will let you restore app settings and saved games backed up in 4.3.3 to 4.2.1.

Thanks for all the info. I setup SBSettings to show free RAM and have been using RemoveBG to kill everything at once, as well as SwitcherMod to kill individual apps. I'm definitely getting better performance, but I can't loving stand managing this poo poo.

So, before I start with the DataDeposit and restore dance, is there an app that will prevent backgrounding of all apps? Preferably with a white-list so that some can stay open.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

EC posted:

Thanks for all the info. I setup SBSettings to show free RAM and have been using RemoveBG to kill everything at once, as well as SwitcherMod to kill individual apps. I'm definitely getting better performance, but I can't loving stand managing this poo poo.

So, before I start with the DataDeposit and restore dance, is there an app that will prevent backgrounding of all apps? Preferably with a white-list so that some can stay open.

Backgrounder!

You can set up a whitelist of apps that need to run in the background.

There are several levels of control. I haven't used it in a while (I chose to downgrade instead), but I think it has different levels like this:

1) If an app is actually doing something (playing music, file transfer, etc), it will leave it alone. Else, close everything that isn't whitelisted. (This one may be best.)

2) If it isn't on a whitelist, close it (except apps that have always ran in the background, like Mail, Safari, etc).

3) Close everything, all the time (kills Mail, Safari, etc).

4) Keep everything open (default 4.x behavior), in addition to things that are pre-4.0 apps (major ram killer).

I used it for a while, but the Backgrounder author says they won't update the program any more. I guess they got an iPhone 4 and thinks everyone has at least 512 megs of RAM now. It worked as of 4.3.3 I believe.

Also, if you HATE managing poo poo on iOS, you'd love Android. Task Killers are some of the top downloads. You get poo poo running in the background all the time, eating CPU and killing battery life. There isn't a simple notification system or any OS control over stuff, so you end up with "closed" programs always running, even when you never gave them permission to (every app on iOS that wants to send notifications must get permission first when ran - Android apps supposedly get all the permission they need just by allowing them to be installed). A lot of people will tell you to "let the OS handle things", but when it's like night and day performance differences by killing apps, you'll learn pretty quickly the importance of using a Task Killer. Killing tasks, hunting in every program's preferences to disable its own notification system, uninstalling poo poo programs, and rebooting all the time to fix stuff is something I find myself doing way too much on Android. A "kill all apps" button on iOS would help, but iOS seems to keep most stuff in line pretty well. The biggest problem with iOS is that it waits too long before closing background apps (it should start auto-closing stuff at 40-60MB free, not when it hits 0MB free).

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 11, 2011

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Altoid posted:

Is there any thing that can remove or widen the distance of the backwards and forwards track selection from the home screen?

I'm talking about if you press the sleep/wake button then double click the home button twice. Which brings up the music controls from the top of the screen.

I always start my music this way. And some how I tend to hit back or forwards and not play somewhat regularly. I don't even have fat fingers, they are just all close together.

It's a pain cause I listen to long dj mixes, that go anywhere from two hours to more than nine hours. I lose my place and it's so annoying.

From the last page but I didn't see any responses. I'm not sure about anyway to change the buttons on the home screen but one thing you can try for your extended mixes is to set the "Remember Position" option on the track in iTunes itself. This way if you hit the wrong button it will at least remember where you were when you go back the way podcasts do.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Xenomorph posted:

Also, if you HATE managing poo poo on iOS, you'd love Android. Task Killers are some of the top downloads. You get poo poo running in the background all the time, eating CPU and killing battery life. There isn't a simple notification system or any OS control over stuff, so you end up with "closed" programs always running, even when you never gave them permission to (every app on iOS that wants to send notifications must get permission first when ran - Android apps supposedly get all the permission they need just by allowing them to be installed). A lot of people will tell you to "let the OS handle things", but when it's like night and day performance differences by killing apps, you'll learn pretty quickly the importance of using a Task Killer. Killing tasks, hunting in every program's preferences to disable its own notification system, uninstalling poo poo programs, and rebooting all the time to fix stuff is something I find myself doing way too much on Android. A "kill all apps" button on iOS would help, but iOS seems to keep most stuff in line pretty well. The biggest problem with iOS is that it waits too long before closing background apps (it should start auto-closing stuff at 40-60MB free, not when it hits 0MB free).

was... was he saying he was considering Android anywhere? Because jesus christ this post. I mean, Android is poo poo, but god drat.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Xenomorph posted:

Backgrounder!

Boom! Installing this and disabling mutlitasking for almost everything finally made my phone feel like it used to. No more stuttering animations, no more weird pauses while an app loads, no more bullshit at all. Thanks for the tips! According to the SBSetting free RAM thing, I'm hovering around 100mb. Before, I was lucky to get it to stay at 40mb. Without managing it I would continually be in the 0-10mb range.

Woohoo!

And although I didn't say anything about Android, jesus that sounds bad. I've never actually used an android device for more than 5 minutes of demo time here and there. It never impressed me enough there to make me think about switching.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to get out of DFU mode? I've tried restarting, killing the battery, recboot, tinyumbrella + fix recovery and redsn0w. 2 out of 3 times it ends up at the apple logo, which returns to DFU mode once iTunes starts the recovery process. The other time it just stays in DFU mode. I've tried everything I can think of (unless I've missed something), should I just give it to the apple store?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The more free RAM you have the faster your phone runs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Dodoman posted:

Is there any way to get out of DFU mode? I've tried restarting, killing the battery, recboot, tinyumbrella + fix recovery and redsn0w. 2 out of 3 times it ends up at the apple logo, which returns to DFU mode once iTunes starts the recovery process. The other time it just stays in DFU mode. I've tried everything I can think of (unless I've missed something), should I just give it to the apple store?

Did you ever use iFaith? It caused a DFU loop for me with my iPad. Couldn't get it to come out.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

withak posted:

Is there something special about phone RAM that makes it as slow or slower than pulling data out of storage? No point in having the RAM if you aren't going to use it.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Arrowsmith posted:

Is there something special about phone RAM that makes it as slow or slower than pulling data out of storage?
No, and that's the point of his joke/sarcasm.

Although, I think his dismissing how much trouble older, lower RAM iPhones have when trying to perform toe-to-toe with their 4G counterparts.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

withak posted:

I guess you're being snarky here? I agree with you to a point, but disabling multitasking (or backgrounding of apps, if you prefer that term) has made my phone run much smoother. Like Xeno mentioned, iOS doesn't seem to start killing apps until you get really loving low on memory. Simply preventing apps from staying open in the background prevents animation stutters, allows my camera to open faster, allows almost all other apps to open faster, and lets me open my bookmarks in Safari about 2 seconds after opening it as opposed to 10 or 15.

That said, having 100mb free versus 200mb free is not going to net you any real world difference. Going from 5mb to 100mb however...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This is interesting, as my 4 has been slightly sluggish for a while now. I used backgrounded way back in the day, so I don't know if it has changed much. How does it compare to the way the iPhone multitasks now? Does it behave similar or do I have to retrain my muscle memory to do new things to background and such? Assuming I set up a solid whitelist, will I even notice a difference in function?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I just setup a whitelist and used my phone as normal. There's a lot of options in there, but I didn't really mess with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
I like to keep some free RAM so my megabytes have a little extra room to stretch their legs. Those little fuckers tend to get angry if you pack them too close together.

• Locked thread