Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

I think I'm going to go back to OS 9 on my computer.

It's just like Lion :iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Adobe CS has worked absolutely perfectly for me. Perhaps the issue is with your workflow or Lion install?

Not sure. The Lion install didn't seem to have any issues. My workflow is the same it's always been.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone having serious issues with 10.7 Spotlight not finding files it should, even though you've reindexed the drive?

Is there a way to debug spotlight to see what it's doing? Specifically maybe go through its database. I've reindexed my media drive, but it still refuses to find some videos by part of the filename.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Oh thank gently caress. That's been driving me crazy for a while.

every
Apr 24, 2008

I'm having lots of trouble with Preview...it seems to crash and freeze all the time in Lion. Anyone else having that trouble?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Adobe CS has worked absolutely perfectly for me. Perhaps the issue is with your workflow or Lion install?
Which version are you using?

Regarding TM.. I've been backing up my data manually onto a spare drive instead of using TM. Now, I figure I should try using TM. Can TM use exFAT drives? Can this data be accessed by other operating systems? I'd like the data to be available to other computers if in the event that my Mac fails. And judging from previous posts about TM bugs, should I even bother with it? Or should I just stick with manual back ups?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Anyone having serious issues with 10.7 Spotlight not finding files it should, even though you've reindexed the drive?

Is there a way to debug spotlight to see what it's doing? Specifically maybe go through its database. I've reindexed my media drive, but it still refuses to find some videos by part of the filename.

What exactly are you searching for? Spotlight has always been unable to find strings in the middle of file names.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I've had absolutely no issues with Lion so far, and the thought of going back to Snow Leopard horrifies me. It's not that I disliked Snow Leopard, but I've found Lion much more comfortable to use and look at that I think I would find Snow Leopard just a little bit wrong in a lot of ways. The Snow Leopard Expose was especially terrible, and Mission Control is the best thing ever (minus the space-age name).

every
Apr 24, 2008

Nall posted:

Mission Control is the best thing ever (minus the space-age name).

Agreed. Something like Mission Control was sorely needed. Expose was horrifyingly incomplete.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

every posted:

Agreed. Something like Mission Control was sorely needed. Expose was horrifyingly incomplete.
What's largely different between MC and Exp other than "space" integration?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lord funk posted:

What exactly are you searching for? Spotlight has always been unable to find strings in the middle of file names.

I don't know about that, it seems to find some stuff just fine:

...(field.m4v)

But if I search for "The Pledge", it won't reveal "Seinfeld.06x03 - The Pledge Drive.m4v", which is only two folders down (and one folder up)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 4, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They merged the "show all windows" and "show program windows" functionality so that one MC swipe shows everything, with multiple windows from the same program grouped. Another swipe over that group expands it.

edit: I guess app-specific Expose is still there, just disabled by default. I just found it in the gesture options.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 4, 2011

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They merged the "show all windows" and "show program windows" functionality so that one MC swipe shows everything, with multiple windows from the same program grouped. Another swipe over that group expands it.

edit: I guess app-specific Expose is still there, just disabled by default. I just found it in the gesture options.
Yeah, I thought about that immediately after I posted it. By default it just used to show all open windows in one huge grid. I could have sworn there was a way to show open windows grouped by application in the old Expose (separate from the 'application expose' feature) but perhaps I was just dreaming.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone found a way to do this with a non-Apple mouse yet? I'd love to be able to ungroup windows.

I have two mouse buttons bound: one is Mission Control, one is App windows. I was hoping that if I pressed the App Windows button while in MC it would fan out the app windows, but no dice :(

Scamander
Apr 11, 2007
I want to change this
I'm back with another problem, or rather one of my earlier ones which it turns out wasn't sorted after all.

My current situation is this:

I have installed Windows XP SP2 using bootcamp, and this works. However, during the installation I had to say that I had already downloaded the relevant drivers or that I had them on a CD. I don't have the CD, however I found THIS site http://support.apple.com/kb/dl830 which I assumed would solve all my problems for me. Below is why I assumed it might work out. vvv

Apple site posted:

Note: This download contains complete copies of Boot Camp Windows XP Drivers (version 2.1). If you have Boot Camp drivers already installed, it will update them. If you do not have any Boot Camp drivers installed, it will install version 2.1 drivers onto your already installed Windows OS.

So I downloaded the relevant file, burnt it onto one of my fast dwindling stack of CDs and booted up Windows XP. Now, when I try to run the file (BCUpdateXP.exe), there is a brief period of activity (and it appears momentarily in the list of running processes), then with no messages or anything it just stops and the process disappears. I am FAIRLY sure it hasn't done anything, and would be rather embarrassed to learn that this is what it was meant to do and that everything is alright. I don't think so, though.

Now, THIS site http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10329525-263.html?tag=mfiredir describes a few problems related to the BCUpdate thing, including my own. It offers one possible solution, which is to

that site posted:

Use a utility like WinZIP to extract the MSP file from the downloaded .exe.

Attempt to run the MSP file from the command line as an administrator with a command that looks like this:

msiexec /p (path)bcupdate(version).msp

Now, I haven't had success with this because, while I looked up how to run it as an administrator, I must have misunderstood because it was having none of it. Not one to be put off, I tried just running the file anyway, and although it didn't tell me that I wasn't allowed to run the thing, it DID tell me that it couldn't find the program that I wanted it to update.

When I unpacked the original .exe, I was gifted with these two: BCUpdateXP.msp and BCLocUpdateEnable.exe. I was wondering if perhaps that latter was the thing that was meant to tell the computer that although I don't have a program called bootcamp installed, to go ahead and install the drivers anyway. I don't know; this is just speculation on my part and I wouldn't be surprised to be incorrect. The main reason I assume there must be such a function at all is the "note" on the apple site.

Anybody know what I should be doing to get this sorted out? As before, if I haven't mentioned something that you think is important, let me know.

(Once again, I'm on OS X version 10.6.; also, one of my original issues was that I don't have access to an OS X disc, hence I am looking for the drivers from a different source such as the one I linked to).

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I don't know about that, it seems to find some stuff just fine:

I guess I meant in the middle of a word. Spaces and dashes split the file name.

What you have happened to me a long time ago (I think I was on Tiger, actually). No clue how it got fixed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lord funk posted:

I guess I meant in the middle of a word. Spaces and dashes split the file name.

What you have happened to me a long time ago (I think I was on Tiger, actually). No clue how it got fixed.

Oh I see. I'll have to doublecheck my file naming scheme then, that's probably it. Thanks!

e: Though it isn't, it's still not bringing up "The Pledge" like it should :(

e2: I force quit Finder and now it's bringing up my missing video. Tres bizarre :psyduck:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Has anyone found a way to do this with a non-Apple mouse yet? I'd love to be able to ungroup windows.

I have two mouse buttons bound: one is Mission Control, one is App windows. I was hoping that if I pressed the App Windows button while in MC it would fan out the app windows, but no dice :(
Try scrolling over them, maybe? The default MC gesture is a three-finger swipe up, and then from there it's a two-finger swipe up over an application group to expand. I can't find any settings or options for that second gesture though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Try scrolling over them, maybe? The default MC gesture is a three-finger swipe up, and then from there it's a two-finger swipe up over an application group to expand. I can't find any settings or options for that second gesture though.

Scroll wheel did it, thanks! Not sure why I didn't think of it earlier. It's pretty intuitive, maybe I'm just out of it today :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

It's pretty intuitive, maybe I'm just out of it today :(
I actually didn't find it that intuitive. :downs:

I only learned about the application-expansion gesture when I watched over bits of the WWDC keynote last night to remind myself of Lion features I might have forgotten about, and learn a bit more about iCloud.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To spread application windows in mission control you swipe up with two fingers. Not the most intuitive in my opinion. The new grouping and scaling alone is a huge improvement.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

Scamander posted:

Boot camp drivers
You can just run Boot Camp Assistant in OS X again and have it download the drivers for you.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Does anybody know a fix for this:

I create a boot camp partition, click the start installation button and my macbook pro restarts. Then I get stuck at white start up screen where the logo blinks between a a folder with a question mark, the apple logo, and a circle with a line through it. I have tried both windows xp and windows 7 discs both with the same results. I am using an external usb dvd drive if that might be the problem. This is a 2007 non-unibody mbp.

Scamander
Apr 11, 2007
I want to change this
I gave it another shot just in case, but this was one of my original issues: when I try that step it tells me that "Download could not continue. The Windows support software is not available". This, I gathered from what other people had complained about elsewhere, is not an uncommon problem. The solution on one of the apple pages was to skip that step and use the drivers included on my OS X disc -- but since I don't have the disc, I am looking for another way of doing it.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure my 15" MacBook Pro doesn't have any GPS hardware in it, so how the hell does Find My Mac work so accurately?

I understand CoreLocation can use a database of known wifi hotspots, etc, but I'm using my own WiFi hanging off an ADSL connection and this thing is accurate down to my street address.

gregday fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 4, 2011

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

gregday posted:

I'm pretty sure my 15" MacBook Pro doesn't have any GPS hardware in it, so how the hell does Find My Mac work so accurately?

I understand CoreLocation can use a database of known wifi hotspots, etc, but I'm using my own WiFi hanging off an ADSL connection and this thing is accurate down to my street address.

Someone drives by your house with gps. it picks up the hotspot and gps coordinates.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

gregday posted:

Like the guy said above, similar to how google does street view by driving around with a camera. I think I read somewhere they use this to do it:

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

For me, it's the inclusion of the spaces, the grouping of similar app windows, the large app icons that appear under the windows, the hiding of minimized windows and the reversion back to leopard-style scaling of windows instead of the grid layout. I also like how the background pulls out, but that's just a visual preference.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Disregard!

fart blood fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 5, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

View > Show Status Bar. It took about 5 seconds after reading your complaint to find it.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

I'm an idiot and found it. :shobon: I was going to edit my post to disregard.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

Which version are you using?

Regarding TM.. I've been backing up my data manually onto a spare drive instead of using TM. Now, I figure I should try using TM. Can TM use exFAT drives? Can this data be accessed by other operating systems? I'd like the data to be available to other computers if in the event that my Mac fails. And judging from previous posts about TM bugs, should I even bother with it? Or should I just stick with manual back ups?
TM only works on HFS+ unless something has changed recently. You might be able to use it on other drives if you do something like a sparse disk image (formatted HFS+), so TM writes to the mounted disk image rather than directly to the drive itself in whatever format.

I think you'd be boned from other OSes, it'll probably depend on if they read the hard links properly, while disk image support is probably limited at best too. TM is nice cause it's basically versioning for your HD so I'd keep it around if possible...but I'd do a separate plain backup as well in case TM fucks up.

Yeah, I thought about that immediately after I posted it. By default it just used to show all open windows in one huge grid. I could have sworn there was a way to show open windows grouped by application in the old Expose (separate from the 'application expose' feature) but perhaps I was just dreaming.
The closest is hitting cmd-1 or 2 while in Expose, I forget which does which, but one sorts them by name and the other sorts by app. The problem is that it's still just a grid of windows that are hard to identify if you have a bunch open.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

UPS dropped off my new hard drive today so I decided to test out the Lion installer I copied to a flash drive and do a clean install. So fast :swoon:. I think that from screwdriver to desktop took slightly over half an hour.

I did notice, however, that you can not use an encrypted Time Machine backup for restore purposes while in the installer. You have to use Migration Assistant after the fact. It seems that the installer will not recognize the encrypted volume.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any AlfredApp users getting into the extensions they added in the newest release(0.9.9)? I just noticed that was a thing, looks kind of neat to just create some quickie scripts.

Curious what is going to be in v1.0!

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
Okay, I've got probably the nitpickiest problem ever with Dashboard, but here goes:

Here's my dashboard, with a nice big web clip of the Weather Underground radar map. Pretty.

When I go to Mission Control, however, the little thumbnail for Dashboard shows an empty clip. Very rarely, the thumbnail will display correctly, but for the life of me I can't figure out what makes it work. Google is unhelpful.

I could revert to Dashboard's Snow Leopard behavior, but I kinda like having it in its own space.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Strangelet Wave posted:

Here's my dashboard, with a nice big web clip of the Weather Underground radar map. Pretty.
No clue about the thumbnail issue, but drat were you running Cinebench or something while you took that? Your CPU and RAM are pegged! Even your hard drive is almost out of space.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

No clue about the thumbnail issue, but drat were you running Cinebench or something while you took that? Your CPU and RAM are pegged! Even your hard drive is almost out of space.

I do computational physics. If my CPU usage is below 100%, I'm wasting taxpayer money.

Kidding aside, I think Spotlight decided to seize the moment and index all of my email while I was running a molecular simulation in python. RAM and hard drive usage is because of MacBook Air.

EDIT: And you know what, my machine still feels perfectly fast and fluid. If it weren't for that Dashboard widget and the loud fan, I'd have no idea the CPU usage was so high. OSX is one slick piece of software.

Strangelet Wave fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 5, 2011

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008

Strangelet Wave posted:

What are those picture frame widgets?

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Yakadan posted:

What are those picture frame widgets?

Classic Moments. There's a Modern Moments, too, with less-fancy frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Should copying mp3s to an NTFS formatted drive take forever? I'm trying to transfer my iTunes folder (24 gigs) to a new computer and the indicator says 20 hours. I think only about 10 gigs of that is actual mp3s. Do mp3s just take that long? :psyduck: