Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Dirp posted:

It's driving me crazy.
"Eau de Spumante", Spumnante is a white sparkling whine so it's probably supposed to be like cheap colognes with their "eau de toilette". No idea where it's from though.

edit: vvOh yeah that guy's rightvv

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Dirp posted:

"Odee Spamodee"

You might get better results searching for "wine spodie odie." I don't remember what show or movie the scene you mentioned is from, but I do know it was wine spodie odie.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xandu posted:

Grammar/linguistic question, what is an oblique plural?

I tried to google for you, to no avail. Try the linguistics thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2693946

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Xandu posted:

Grammar/linguistic question, what is an oblique plural?

This is kind of hard to describe without more terms that I'm going to have to define! You may know most of this, but I feel it's best to spell it out just in case not doing so would cause more confusion. :)

An inflected language is one where parts of words change depending on how they're used in a sentence. English is a weakly-inflected language: compare "he", "him", and "his". Latin is a very strongly-inflected language.

Cases are the structure in which non-verbs (and some particular uses of verbs) are arranged in inflected languages. English has several cases, although they're not very formal. Latin has six tightly-regimented cases (more in very rare circumstances): Nominative (for the subject of the sentence), genitive (belonging), dative (for indirect objects), accusative (for direct objects), ablative (very loosely, for agency), and vocative (for addressing someone).

Sentence structure, very loosely, uses three descriptors for noun types. A noun can be the subject of the sentence - the thing that is performing the action described by the verb; it can be the object of the sentence - the thing upon which the verb's action is performed; or it can be the agent of the sentence - the thing by which the verb's action is performed. (When you think of the agent, think "by means of".)

Moreover, the object can be a direct or an indirect object. The indirect object is usually the recipient of the action performed on the direct object. (I know that phrasing is a little misleading, but it's the best I can come up with at 1 AM.)

FINALLY WE GET TO THE ACTUAL ANSWER :toot:

"Oblique" refers to a case in an inflected language that indicates either the direct or indirect object. In Latin, the oblique cases are the accusative and dative; in English, it's words like "him" (again, compare to "he" and "his").

The oblique plural is simply the plural form of an oblique case.

I, er, hope that's helpful. :)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That was very helpful, thanks!! If you're familiar with case systems, it's not too complicated, I had just never heard the term 'oblique' used in reference to Arabic before.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Eyeball posted:

You might get better results searching for "wine spodie odie." I don't remember what show or movie the scene you mentioned is from, but I do know it was wine spodie odie.

Haha, yes this is it. From the movie Rolling Kansas. "A woodey blend of fox urine and flat beer."

Thanks.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If you make your own thread, make it in SAL (under D&D).

Thank you! That seems the perfect place for it. I uh... somehow didn't know that subforum was there. :doh:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Opposite posted:

I found on WhatPulse.com a group named SomethingawfulGoons but its password protected. Is there a team that represents SA on WhatPulse? Searching for it only brings me to this thread.

I've been in the group since 2005. I don't know the password, but our team is ranked 7th. You can PM members through their site, so I don't know how to get it. Did you try 'lljk'?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Besesoth posted:

oblique plural

This explanation really needs examples, please!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

edit: Yeah just read his explanation instead, way clearer.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 4, 2011

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dudebro posted:

This explanation really needs examples, please!

Okay!

Very loosely, there are three kinds of grammar: strongly inflected (like Latin, with lots of different endings based on how the word is used in the sentence), weakly inflected (like English, with a couple different endings that overlap a lot), and non-inflected (like Japanese, where the form of the word largely doesn't change based on its function within the sentence).

In English, you have a couple different cases. We'll call them the Subjective, the Objective, and the Possessive.

code:
"he"        Singular    Plural
Subjective  he          they
Objective   him         them
Possessive  his         their(s)
Sometimes, the subjective and objective are the same:

code:
"farmer"    Sing        Plur
Subj        farmer      farmers
Obj         farmer      farmers
Poss        farmer's    farmers'
In Latin, though, you have no fewer than SIX cases: the Nominative (equivalent to English's Subjective), the Genitive (equivalent to English's Possessive), the Dative (an Objective that indicates indirect object), the Accusative (an Objective that indicates direct object), the Ablative (a not-quite-Objective that indicates agency), and the Vocative (a not-quite-Subjective that indicates direct address). I'm not going to deal with the Vocative here because it's weird and most texts barely address it.

If you're familiar with military technology at all, you should know that in this context, "ablative" is pronounced "AB lah tiv", not "ah BLAY tiv".

code:
"agricola"  Sing        Plur          English   Sing               Plur
Nom         agricola    agricolae     Subj      the farmer         the farmers
Gen         agricolae   agricolarum   Poss      the farmer's       the farmers'
Dat         agricolae   agricolis     Obj       to/for the         to/for the
                                                  farmer             farmers
Acc         agricolam   agricolas     Obj       the farmer         the farmer
Abl         agricola    agricolis     Obj       by means of the    by means of the
                                                  farmer             farmers
But wait, there's more! Latin not only has lots of cases, it also has five declensions for nouns. Each declension has its own set of clever endings, and each noun goes into a single declension. "agricola" is a first-declension noun; you'll never see it with second-, third-, fourth-, or fifth-declension endings. Each declension has a particular use, too: first declension is for feminine nouns (this doesn't have a social implication); second declension is for masculine and neuter nouns; third declension is for unusual nouns (they can be either gender); fourth declension is for even more unusual nouns (words borrowed from other languages usually go into fourth declension); and fifth declension is for less concrete nouns or very broad nouns like "thing".

So the word for "ball", "globus", is a second-declension noun:

code:
"globus"    Sing        Plur          English   Sing               Plur
Nom         globus      globi         Subj      the ball           the balls
Gen         globi       globorum      Poss      the ball's         the balls'
Dat         globo       globis        Obj       to/for the         to/for the
                                                  ball               balls
Acc         globum      globos        Obj       the ball           the balls
Abl         globis      globis        Obj       by means of the    by means of the
                                                  ball               balls
(A note: the correct word for "a ball you'd play a game with" is "pila". But that's first-declension, and I wanted a second-declension noun.)

So you can have sentences like "I throw the balls to the farmers." In English, that's subjective "I", objective "balls", and objective "farmers", with a verb, a preposition, and a couple articles put in for good measure. (Latin doesn't use articles.)

In Latin, the same sentence is "(Ego) Iacio globos agricolis." ("Ego", meaning "I", isn't really necessary and is almost always omitted because the form of the verb tells you that it's me doing it.) "Ego" is nominative singular, "globos" is accusative plural, and "agricolis" is dative plural. (How do you tell that it's not ablative plural? Context! "I throw the balls by means of the farmers" doesn't have the same ring to it.)

Since in Latin, word order largely doesn't matter (there are some exceptions, but they're pretty rare), you can change the entire meaning of the sentence just by changing the endings of the words:

code:
"Iacio globos agricolis"     "I throw the balls to the farmers."
"Iacio globis agricolas"     "I throw the farmers to the balls."
"Iacient globos agricolae."  "The farmers throw the balls."
"Iacio globos agricolarum."  "I throw the farmers' balls."
(See how the verb changed in the third line? Latin is all about changing endings.)

Here's where we get to the obliques.

The oblique cases are the objective cases. In English, that's easy: it's what we called the Objective. In Latin, it's Dative and Accusative, because those are the objective cases. (Ablative isn't really an objective case; it just happens that in English, we use the objective with prepositions to indicate what, in Latin, would be the ablative.)

So in "I throw the balls to the farmers", "balls" and "farmers" are both oblique. And since they're plural, they're oblique plurals. Likewise, in "Iacio globos agricolis", "globos" and "agricolis" are both oblique plurals.

When we change it to "Iacient agricolae globos", "agricolae" is now in the nominative plural - NOT oblique. But "globos" is still oblique, because it's still accusative.

Does that help? :)

e: ^^ Sorry! v:shobon:v My degree is in Classical Studies. Any chance I get to use it... ;)

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 4, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Whats the name of the website where you can buy cheap Chinese electronics and gadgets? The name escapes me but it has been mentioned before here on the forums several times.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

b0nes posted:

Whats the name of the website where you can buy cheap Chinese electronics and gadgets? The name escapes me but it has been mentioned before here on the forums several times.

http://www.dealextreme.com

I think there is one called "golden gadgets" or something that is similar. poo poo; now I'm going to go spend 50 bucks.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Very Strange Things posted:

http://www.dealextreme.com

I think there is one called "golden gadgets" or something that is similar. poo poo; now I'm going to go spend 50 bucks.

That's it thanks!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there still a market for traditional calculators? I mean I know not everyone has a smartphone, but when I can just download a graphing calculator app in 2 minutes, it seems like the industry might be sort of redundant.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

change my name posted:

Is there still a market for traditional calculators? I mean I know not everyone has a smartphone, but when I can just download a graphing calculator app in 2 minutes, it seems like the industry might be sort of redundant.

The only environment I can thing of is during a test where you would be allowed calculators. This morning I went into a QuikTrip and their power was out, so all the employees were at the counter using battery-powered calculators.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

change my name posted:

Yeah traditional calculators went out of style in the 1920-30's or so when they were replaced by mechanical calculators.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

scarymonkey posted:

My favorite Bubba Smith moment was on Married with Children:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BJ7-_-omnU
Is there any known or likely reason Youtube gave this particular video such an irregular URL? I've never seen one at all like that.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

change my name posted:

I think there's a market for calculators in much the same way that there's a market for pen and paper. Sometimes a calculator will do something that your particular graphing calculator app doesn't do well, sometimes you're in a situation where using an app on your device isn't practical, sometimes you just want to know what the square root of 172 is and "where the hell did I put that calculator app, it's not in Accessories like I thought it would be, gently caress I'm going to have to actually go hunting" is less desirable than "hey I have a calculator in my desk drawer".

And sometimes you just like the feel of the instrument.

I have a much-loved HP48G that I'd never give up in favor of an app for anything more complicated than basic arithmetic (oh, hey, there's another reason: sometimes you're used to reverse Polish notation and these drat kids who make calculator apps have never heard of reverse Polish). Then again, I got this particular calculator 16 years ago, so I haven't exactly been in the market for a new one.

(And sometimes you want a device that will remain consistent over 16 years of use rather than having to contend with Moore's Law every time you want to factor a polynomial.)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hogburto posted:

Is there any known or likely reason Youtube gave this particular video such an irregular URL? I've never seen one at all like that.

Youtube mixes in _ and - to their video IDs just to help cut down on ID length. It's a coincidence that you see so many and strung together. No different than if you saw an ID with AAA or some arbitrary string.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Besesoth posted:

I think there's a market for calculators in much the same way that there's a market for pen and paper. Sometimes a calculator will do something that your particular graphing calculator app doesn't do well, sometimes you're in a situation where using an app on your device isn't practical, sometimes you just want to know what the square root of 172 is and "where the hell did I put that calculator app, it's not in Accessories like I thought it would be, gently caress I'm going to have to actually go hunting" is less desirable than "hey I have a calculator in my desk drawer".

And sometimes you just like the feel of the instrument.

I have a much-loved HP48G that I'd never give up in favor of an app for anything more complicated than basic arithmetic (oh, hey, there's another reason: sometimes you're used to reverse Polish notation and these drat kids who make calculator apps have never heard of reverse Polish). Then again, I got this particular calculator 16 years ago, so I haven't exactly been in the market for a new one.

(And sometimes you want a device that will remain consistent over 16 years of use rather than having to contend with Moore's Law every time you want to factor a polynomial.)

There will always be a market for calculators, as long as educational institutions are paranoid about students cheating.

There is a reason that there are 'approved calculator' lists at many institutions and for many standardized exams, and it is not that those calculators are minimally sufficiently functional - it's that they are sufficiently *limited* in their functions such that you can not use them to cheat, as you could your smartphone.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
So it's on Engadget right now that AT&T are going to be pursuing people who use jailbroken iPhones to tether without having a tethering data plan.

How can AT&T tell the iPhone is being used for that? Shouldn't it just show as regular iPhone data use?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
When tethering through an IPhone, it routes data through an alternate APN, so it's really, really easy to detect. They don't have to scan packets or anything (which they would have to do with android phones).

Apps like PDANet can hide usage by not using this alternate APN though, so if you're wondering how to get around it, I would look into that.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Without even scanning packets they could get suspicious seeing connections to like windows update or fedora repositories or mcafee/symantec/whatever update. Just watching for poo poo like that could probably catch the majority. fuckers.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Yeah but that would involve significantly more resources invested in detecting the activity. Not really worth it, considering the majority of their client base is on iphones and so easy to catch.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Why does it even matter? Wouldn't companies who charge for more data welcome tethering?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

change my name posted:

Why does it even matter? Wouldn't companies who charge for more data welcome tethering?

That's what I thought but someone pointed out the plans for mobile hotspots or 3g cards are like $50 or $60 a month themselves, easier tethering on phones obsoletes those devices and their plans.

Still though, there's got to be a lot more people with money to give wanting to tether with a phone than there are those who own one of those devices or would ever consider buying one.

edit: they also reallllly don't like it that they once offered an unlimited data plan and there are some of us still on it. I bet those are the people they're busting first before the tiered (but still non-tethering enabled/billed) data people who pay them more money for the more they tether.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 5, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

change my name posted:

I can't imagine that portion of their users is anything worth the effort. It sounds more like they're doing it the free way, just scare everyone off by releasing the press.

E: consider the source, it's at&t PR not some outraged nerd with a jailbroken phone.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 5, 2011

Cantv
Sep 28, 2009
I work in a restaurant as a manager and I frequently have to talk to guests about their day/their meal/etc. It goes pretty well, and I can entertain and interact with them well enough, but I really struggle with ending the conversations. While it IS necessary that I do make light conversation (and I really do enjoy it), I have so many other things to do and tables to talk to.

How do I casually transition out of conversations? Every time I try, I just feel extremely rude, especially if they are starting a story that will hold me there another 10 minutes.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Cantv posted:

I work in a restaurant as a manager and I frequently have to talk to guests about their day/their meal/etc. It goes pretty well, and I can entertain and interact with them well enough, but I really struggle with ending the conversations. While it IS necessary that I do make light conversation (and I really do enjoy it), I have so many other things to do and tables to talk to.

How do I casually transition out of conversations? Every time I try, I just feel extremely rude, especially if they are starting a story that will hold me there another 10 minutes.

After you finish your "required" conversation, just say something like "It's been a pleasure talking with you sir, but I don't want to take you away from your meal. Have a pleasant day!" and then walk to another table.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Cantv posted:

If you're having customers tell you lengthy anecdotes, then you need to work on your body english; you must be projecting, "Hi, I'm here to have a conversation with you, let's talk" when you ought to be projecting, "Hi, I'm here to have a couple words with you and then move on." It's not something I can describe, but I know it when I see it. It's something you do with eye contact, or rather, lack of it, and also with not planting your feet and relaxing into position, but rather remaining ever so slightly on the balls of your feet, ready to move on. Don't zero in on them and establish lingering eye contact, because that signals "extreme interest". Ya wanna stride up, glance briefly at them, say politely, "So, how's it all going?" and then let them give you feedback as to their meal, and then you nod briskly, smile politely, utter some neutral thing like, "Glad to hear it" or "Enjoy your meal", and then you stride away.

Your mistake, I think, is is assuming that your job entails actually, like, conversing with them. If you can get it on to a more casual basis, "I don't really care about you but I'm supposed to check in with the customers to see how their meal is", then I think your problem will go away.

I've never had a restaurant manager come up and ask me about my DAY; that's my significant other's job. Management only ever comes up and asks me about my meal. Not my life. If the manager did ever stand there and seem disposed to chat lingeringly about my day and my life, I'd be, like, "Um, what? I'm trying to eat? I have no idea who you are? Go away?"

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Fig Newton posted:

I've never had a restaurant manager come up and ask me about my DAY; that's my significant other's job. Management only ever comes up and asks me about my meal. Not my life. If the manager did ever stand there and seem disposed to chat lingeringly about my day and my life, I'd be, like, "Um, what? I'm trying to eat? I have no idea who you are? Go away?"

At some upscale restaurants managers may get to know their patrons in this way. However, in these cases the restaurant is usually small enough that they have the time for a 5 minute chat.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Cantv posted:

Bring it up. "I'd guess I had better let you enjoy your meal, now." Present it as an open-ended goodbye. "You'll let me know if I can help you with anything [else]?" But it gets a little more closure with a "Thank you" or "You're welcome" right before you step away (depending on whether they compliment your service or thank you for it).
A 10 minute story... yikes. You could try to progress it faster by asking what happens next, feigning interest, or say that's just like something that happened to you or someone you know so you can control the conversation long enough to give yourself an exit without interrupting their story.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
What are the most comfortable socks?

Seriously, I'm tired of socks. I buy some in stores, half the time I end up not liking them. If I like them, they develop holes. I go back to the store and can't find the same type. Now I have something like ten different varieties of socks.

I want some buy some drat socks online. I want them to be comfy and padded but not too warm. Black is fine, earth tones are better. Then, once I've worn them out, I want to buy more of the same socks so I no longer have mismatched socks everywhere.

Do you love your socks? Tell me about your socks. I must know about your socks.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My internet connection is really fast in the morning, and seems to get very slow by the end of the night. Is this a common thing where speeds are lowered as more bandwidth is used during the day?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Everyone in an area tends to use the same connection, so if a lot of people are using internet (say, late at night), the bandwidth available goes down. If not many people are using the internet (say, early in the morning when everyone is sleeping), then there's a lot of bandwidth available.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

tarepanda posted:

Everyone in an area tends to use the same connection, so if a lot of people are using internet (say, late at night), the bandwidth available goes down. If not many people are using the internet (say, early in the morning when everyone is sleeping), then there's a lot of bandwidth available.

This is primarily true only in Cable setups or buildings with a single pipe. DSL and satellite internet providers use one 'line' per subscriber.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ZorbaTHut posted:

What are the most comfortable socks?

Seriously, I'm tired of socks. I buy some in stores, half the time I end up not liking them. If I like them, they develop holes. I go back to the store and can't find the same type. Now I have something like ten different varieties of socks.

I want some buy some drat socks online. I want them to be comfy and padded but not too warm. Black is fine, earth tones are better. Then, once I've worn them out, I want to buy more of the same socks so I no longer have mismatched socks everywhere.

Do you love your socks? Tell me about your socks. I must know about your socks.

Buy Kodiaks. Never look back.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
How do you pronounce the name Alsuin? I think it's Gaelic, so if it is would it be "Alshwin"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tarepanda posted:

Commonly referred to at the Netflix effect

Netflix's peak viewing hours are between 8pm and 10pm

Which corrosponds directly to ISP's slowest times

On commonly shared connections, your neighbor's Netflix habits are slowing your connection.