Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cold Sprunk posted:

Would really like to test my GM skills. Sounds like Mogul is better for beginners, but I have a Mac and don't really want to run Crossover or whatever. Is it worth buying Crossover for, or just go with OOTP12 and tough it out?
Just downloaded OOTP8 for free. Got my league and everything set up. And then it crashes. Tried it again and crashes again...

If you can get 8 going that will be a great indication, as 12 is pretty much just 8 with a whole bunch of awesome stuff added, so if you enjoy 8 then you'll love 12. The thing about OOTP is that OOTP is as hard as you make it. If you run an 8 team league with only 3 levels of minors it isn't a hard game to play. But when you have minors down to Rookie ball in a 32 team league it can get a bit hectic.

RiceBurrito posted:

Either I'm cursed or the Giants are really screwed over injuries like true to real life. I started in 2011 and now in 2020 and I've racked up scores of injuries on everyone young and old. There probably hasn't been a time where there's not at least one person on the 25 man roster not on the DL, and I've had as many as 5-7 at a time including at least 3 starting pitchers. I lost Wheeler to Tommy John who never got past double A, and Belt had a career ending injury at age 31. I'm cursed aren't I :(

In short, you are not cursed.

It is just tough work developing a pitching prospect as it is tough to do it in real life. That kind of thing isn't being cursed.

I recently drafted 6 million dollars worth of hitting prospects, both of which get beaned literally (I'm a assuming they got beaned, one had Post Concussion Syndrome and the other a Fractured Cheekbone. They are both facial injuries so I like to think they got beaned.) in their third games of rookie ball and both miss most of the season and have to "stay back a year" in terms of development and never really develop.

That sucks. But that's why I play the game. :)

Edit: So far the Rays have placed 7 players on the DL and have one retire, so injuries happen in real life. Indeed the developers seem to think that the default injury levels are "low" for real life.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
I can't get Crossover or anything like that to work to try Mogul so I am biting the bullet and downloading OOTP12 right now. Newbie tips are welcome.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

I also just bought OOTP12 on a Mac last night. I ran through a bit of a season with a AA team in their pre-made MLB leagues to get the hang of things, but now I'm following some advice in this thread to get my own fictional league running. Since I'm unsure of how financials and other things will go as it sims I may have to start over. I'm a giant Football Manager nerd but never set up my own fictional leagues in there. OOTP seems like it's more geared toward customized saves so I'm going that route early.

Now if only simming 20 years didn't take so long..

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

etcetera08 posted:

I also just bought OOTP12 on a Mac last night. I ran through a bit of a season with a AA team in their pre-made MLB leagues to get the hang of things, but now I'm following some advice in this thread to get my own fictional league running. Since I'm unsure of how financials and other things will go as it sims I may have to start over. I'm a giant Football Manager nerd but never set up my own fictional leagues in there. OOTP seems like it's more geared toward customized saves so I'm going that route early.

Now if only simming 20 years didn't take so long..

Did you turn off all messages?

I like the idea in that thread of drafting for the computer every once in a while. Never thought of that before... What ends up happening in OOTP is you learn how the mechanics work and then you can just dominate your competition for decades on end. What you almost have to do is increase the trade difficulty and put limits on yourself if you want to keep the game interesting. You have to gauge the trades yourself and make sure you aren't raping some poor small market team if you run into some sort of unlikely trade.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

tadashi posted:

I like the idea in that thread of drafting for the computer every once in a while. Never thought of that before... What ends up happening in OOTP is you learn how the mechanics work and then you can just dominate your competition for decades on end. What you almost have to do is increase the trade difficulty and put limits on yourself if you want to keep the game interesting. You have to gauge the trades yourself and make sure you aren't raping some poor small market team if you run into some sort of unlikely trade.

Ah, no I didn't.. Do I just un-subscribe to everything? My manager doesn't have a job so I'm not getting any team messages anyways.

Yeah, I have trading set to hard and to favor prospects, which supposedly makes it more difficult to get away with cheap deals.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

tadashi posted:

I think it's a lot tougher to just dominate everyone in OOTP than BM, at least in OOTP I've actually had to trade away players for financial reasons and I can't just get every top prospect in the game for a washed up veteran and some cash. Most of the trades I get offered are also slanted in favor of the AI rather than ludicrously in my favor as well.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I think it's a lot tougher to just dominate everyone in OOTP than BM, at least in OOTP I've actually had to trade away players for financial reasons and I can't just get every top prospect in the game for a washed up veteran and some cash. Most of the trades I get offered are also slanted in favor of the AI rather than ludicrously in my favor as well.

Also, trading away a guy you overpaid for at some point is nearly im-loving-possible. The game doesn't do contract swaps very well at all, like getting rid of an overpaid outfielder for an overpaid pitcher just doesn't work out, the AI just won't do it.

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
For those who are new to OOTP like myself, this is a really great thread for tips to get you started.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-12-new-game/212143-baseball-noob-would-appreciate-some-pointers.html

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also, play with Scouts and Managers turned off to begin with.

That way you won't get burned with a costly draft bust. Eventually when you're playing without ratings and stats that will be a real thrill, but to begin with it can just give you the you-know-whats.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I am in a baseball simulation league that uses DMB.

This happened yesterday (I'm Tokyo, ignore how terrible my lineup is, I fell out of it very early and sold to stock draft picks for next year)

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 4, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The closest I've gotten to a no hitter was my pitcher giving up no hits or walks to the opposition position players, but giving up a single to their opposition pitcher, and a HR to someone pinch hitting for the pitcher in the 9th.

My pitcher also hit a dinger(!!!) and my catcher hit a broken bat dinger just like Saltalamacchia.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
That game ended up tied as the best pitching performance in the 16 year history of that league.

It was nuts.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
Is there any interest in a somethingawful OOTP 12 online league?

RiceBurrito
Jan 4, 2004
Brother of RiceTaco
How does online work for OOTP? I might be interested but have no idea how its done. Are games just simulated? Do manage actual games? Totally clueless since I'm still trying to grasp the mechanics in my own league.

con
Aug 5, 2004

The commissioner runs a simulation, usually 7 days at a time, a few times a week. In between each sim you download the updates, make any changes to your franchise that you want, then upload them. I am only in one right now and kind of want to do another one because the one I'm in right now is fun but my team and franchise are horrible and I have spent the better part of 10 seasons turning the franchise around only to have Baltimore Orioles pitching prospect syndrome.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

con posted:

I'd play but considering how few posts this thread gets maybe not enough interest..

Also, turns out having an SSD for this game is not as beneficial as I had imagined. It's probably a little faster but not really fast enough to be amazing. Still kinda chugs doing things when you have a pretty big league with a lot of minors and feeder leagues.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

con posted:

I just started playing OOTP but I'd be in. I'd probably need email reminders or something, since I can't guarantee I'll frequent this forum/thread though.

Re: speed of OOTP. It runs tons faster than my Football Manager sims (understandably so, there are far fewer teams/leagues), so I never feel like it's sluggish at all. Simming a whole year does take a while even if you just let it run without auto-saves and everything, but it could be worse.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

ah GREAT the contract nonsense still persists!

I sign a free agent, and the AI promptly loving waives him. Like from the DFA list after signing him straight to loving irrevocable waivers. What the loving gently caress.

I guess I have to baby my 40-man roster now too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah i'd love to play an online league if there was enough people.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
David Eckstein's wife just died in my OOTP game. :psyduck:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'd do an online league.

Also I don't think it is really possible to totally dominate the AI in 12, especially if you turn up the difficulty. I'm bitter right now because my superstar generational pitcher (won 4 straight Cy Youngs) got $21m in arbitration, and is now demanding $35m a year for an extension. I'm playing as KC. That's a third of my budget. :(

Only the Yankees can afford him, I might have to trade him. gently caress you Yankees.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Quasimango posted:

David Eckstein's wife just died in my OOTP game. :psyduck:

Wait what?

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
I've been on the fence for buying this for a while now. An SA league would push me over to a total purchase.

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby
Some free time just opened up for me, so I'd be up for joining a league.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I'd be down for a league, with the caveat that I haven't played an online league since OOTP4

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

gardenald posted:

Wait what?

The game has occasional 'family member died' events that have the player miss a few games. With my team it's always been a player's son though, which is certainly awfully grim for a sports sim

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The game has occasional 'family member died' events that have the player miss a few games. With my team it's always been a player's son though, which is certainly awfully grim for a sports sim

Man, I have never seen that. That's kind of brutal, really.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

I created an IRC channel for OOTP and other baseball sims on synIRC if anyone is interested. I've enjoyed having the #fm channel for Football Manager chat and thought OOTP could have similar activity. It could also be used for communication about an online league if one ends up happening.

irc.synirc.net #ootp

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Hopefully OOTP 12 will be on sale at the end of the season like last season. OOTP isn't exactly a game I want to buy annually. I'd like Markus to at least acknowledge the free agent/extension offer bugs before I buy another OOTP.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I haven't played OOTP for a while but I just bought the latest version and I'd definitely be up for an online league if we get one going.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

tadashi posted:

Hopefully OOTP 12 will be on sale at the end of the season like last season. OOTP isn't exactly a game I want to buy annually. I'd like Markus to at least acknowledge the free agent/extension offer bugs before I buy another OOTP.

Is this where the submit offer button is grayed out? I ran into this with my top pitcher at the end of the first season I took over and my pitching staff hasn't been able to regain traction since.. :(

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

etcetera08 posted:

Is this where the submit offer button is grayed out? I ran into this with my top pitcher at the end of the first season I took over and my pitching staff hasn't been able to regain traction since.. :(

I've not seen that one (unless you pitcher is telling you he's going to free agency?). There is one where you offer a player what they want and then they decline the offer and turn around and demand exactly what you just offered them. And the cycle can continue endlessly.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

tadashi posted:

I've not seen that one (unless you pitcher is telling you he's going to free agency?). There is one where you offer a player what they want and then they decline the offer and turn around and demand exactly what you just offered them. And the cycle can continue endlessly.

The only one I get is when I offer a player fairly early in arbitration a long term deal, he often gives the 'that's a great deal let's sign' or whatever dialogue, but then the offer changes to a 1 year deal worth way more than he'd get in arbitration

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The only one I get is when I offer a player fairly early in arbitration a long term deal, he often gives the 'that's a great deal let's sign' or whatever dialogue, but then the offer changes to a 1 year deal worth way more than he'd get in arbitration

The one I get fairly often is a semi-star demanding 18m/8yrs. I counter with 15m/5years and he goes 20m/3 years. I give up.

Then he signs as a free agent for 2 years, 10 mil total. loving pennies compared to what I offered. It boggles my mind.

Meanwhile if I try and lowball, they immediately go to a 1-year offer at twice their current salary or something absurd.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

tadashi posted:

Well, it was with a pitcher. He said he was okay with the deal but I could never submit it?

RiceBurrito
Jan 4, 2004
Brother of RiceTaco
I think I game the system a bit by offering a huge rear end team only option year in the end of a sorta low contract. Like 30-40 million for the final year. Of course it's declined in the end no matter how awesome he does or whatever. Also since the last year arbitration for most players is around 28-30 I only usually go through one contract signing before dumping them.

I got Brandon Belt being 5 stars legit awesome on pretty much a 5yr 55 million year contract with a 30 million "team" option that will never ever see the light of day.

Something like this, not cheap, but its still better than 22 loving million a year for all 6 years. Moustakas is still easily on the top 3 hitters in the league as of now and is 5 star rated.

Average of 13 million a year without the extension sounds good. Probably taking of advantage of the AI though so I'll probably stop doing this soon.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Doing a historical sim takes ages for me. I'm bugged by the way that I can look up almost every box score in history on the internet, so I insist on compiling an Almanac after each season.

In my nutty game Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig won the 1929 world series with the Cubs (!!!)

Ty Cobb was good, not great. Plagued by injuries and was traded from the CWS to the Cards.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Is an OOTP 12 SA league going down? I'd be on board for that.

con
Aug 5, 2004

stuart scott irl posted:

Is an OOTP 12 SA league going down? I'd be on board for that.

Once I get some down time, I've been working 60-80 hours a week the past few months, I'll look into how to get one going and seeing exactly what it takes to run one. I'd like to do a small 2 league, 16 team setup, with an inaugural draft and go from there. I have never done one before and am not sure how much time it takes to import the managing exports, and getting a server for the league file and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In theory a free FTP site should be able to hold the files, and you just view it all "in game."

It's a lot more improved from the days of emailing your team file(!!!).

• Locked thread