Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

hypocrite lecteur posted:

If the tales coming up the kingsroad could be believed, the King's Hand had been murdered by his dwarf son whilst sitting on a privy.

She could carry the sadness of the moment with her that way forever, see the world refracted through those tears, those specific tears, as if indices as yet unfound varied in important ways from cry to cry.

use of language, pretty much a wash. grrm, master of English and of "whilst"

I'm waiting for your posts not to read exactly the same every single time you post in here.

In that you've probably bashed GRRM as a writer at least five times in the past few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

What the loving gently caress, how did I miss so many details?

Not only did I not realise that Abel and his six women were Mance and the spearwives, but I also was completely innocent as to Manderly cooking pies out of dead Freys. Jesus christ, I wonder what else I didn't pick up on as I raced through the book.

Here is a decent list.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/53780-adwd-spoilers-all-of-the-little-things/

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

American unhappy with non-american word

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Maytag posted:

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

When I was a student in Junior High School we made a big deal out of this word, because it's so much longer than the alphabet. Did we go to East Cary together?

Have I said too much?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Wex is a Braavosi Swordmaster.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Maytag posted:

Hey I proffered that particular quibble gently caress you I am quite articulate and well-read despite my pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

It's not that I don't understand the history and usage, it's that they're archaic and make a person sound like they're trying too hard.

yeah it's not that they're out of place anachronisms in a book mostly written in common day vernacular it's just that people are so "dumb" that they haven't seen the word "whilst" before. you are the one who is smart. you are smarter than all of us.

Guys why are you complaining about him using forsooth and fortnight? They're real words!! *links relevant wikipedia page, leans way back in chair, eats a lil bit of glue*

"whilst" loving sticks out because it sounds like something a person decrying "the stupids" on an internet messageboard would pride himself on using and not something an actual professional writer who worries about things like "rhythm" and "sound" and "meaning" would use. complaining about it isn't contrived or stupid at all sorry

Whilst and amongst are not anachronisms though, they are in everyday common usage in the English speaking world. That you are ignorant of that doesn't change it.
This is why you need to expand your vocabulary, so that you don't end up chucking a tantrum over the correct and appropriate use of perfectly normal words in books, and subsequently look like a spanner.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 5, 2011

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Whilst and amongst are not anachronisms though, they are in everyday common usage in the English speaking world. That you are ignorant of that doesn't change it.
This is why you need to expand your vocabulary, so that you don't end up chucking a tantrum over the correct and appropriate use of perfectly normal words in books, and subsequently look like a spanner.

Especially when they’re being used by an author who frequently splashes 'on the morrow', 'break the fast', 'mummer' and other ridiculous ren-fair pastiche english everywhere.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

What the loving gently caress, how did I miss so many details?

Not only did I not realise that Abel and his six women were Mance and the spearwives, but I also was completely innocent as to Manderly cooking pies out of dead Freys. Jesus christ, I wonder what else I didn't pick up on as I raced through the book.

I clocked that Abel and his six women were Mance and the spearwives fairly on, but the Frey pie bit went completely over my head. I did think it seemed odd how much of a fuss they were making about Manderly serving up pie to everyone - is there anywhere it's specifically insinuated what went into the pies?

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Okay Great Uncle Rapey.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Guys why are you complaining about him using forsooth and fortnight? They're real words!! *links relevant wikipedia page, leans way back in chair, eats a lil bit of glue*

You realise that arguments like this make you sound just a smug and spergy as the imaginary internet foe you've decided you're jousting with right?

That said I think you're way off base. I mean "fortnight" seriously? Even if these words are not in common usage in the US at present they are elsewhere in the world and they're hardly what most people would consider anachronistic. It certainly fits the content and tone of the books a hell of a lot more than "biweekly" would.

As has been pointed out the book have plenty of ren-faire anachronistic type stuff, but this ain't it. Kind of suprised that people think that stand out or is indicitive of "trying too hard" though. It guess that's just subjective.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 5, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What the gently caress, I use fortnight all the loving time in every day language, as do most people i know, and I also see it in all forms of media. But then I don't live in AMURRICA

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I missed the fortnight example, that's even more common than whilst. You hear "in a fortnight" as often if not more more than "in a couple of weeks".

BoogerPrincess
Jun 5, 2007

I just finished ADWD yesterday. I think that it was disappointing. It didn't grab me and keep me reading like the other books did. I got the 4 box set a few months ago and was reading a book in a week. Here are some thoughts...

*Dany: He chapters were loving boring until the end. It was like she was stuck in a whirlpool of bore. I know that she was trying out being queen, but it was just her being obsessive about Daario, claiming she was just a young girl, and just loving things up. I prefer her as the crazy dragon lady. Prediction: Dany, Drogon, and the Dothraki with ride into Mareen, kill the Yunkai, and then set off to kick some more rear end in Westeros. And then sink into the crazy.

*Tyrion: I was happy to have him back. He is one of the most entertaining characters in the book. I don't yet understand the story line with Penny. Is this some way for Tyrion to get in touch with his dwarfness? Is it a way of him being on the edge as an observer rather than being in the thick of things? Of all the Lannisters, I want him to end up on top. But since I just wrote that, GRRM will have him shanked in a prison cell somewhere.

*Cersei: Her fall is probably the greatest. I think we all wanted her to get her comeuppance, but I really started to feel sorry for her. Yes, she raised a lovely son, hosed her brother, hastened her husband's death, and generally acted like selfish bitch... but was she really that much of a menace? She was Tywin's creature - selfish, self-absorbed, and only caring for what was HERS - power, children, love, sex.

*Ser Barristan - Is he the new Ned Stark? Ned seemed to be the last good man. He was honorable and self-less in an honor-less and selfish time. Will these qualities be Barristan's fall?

*Jon - When he was stabbed, I thought "HE CAN"T BE DEAD!" Then I remembered that this book was written by GRRM.

*Melissandre - I was really surprised to see a chapter written from her point of view. It really made me question what we have been led to believe all along. Is she a force for good? evil? Or is she just a red herring? (sorry)

*The Ironborn (Asha, Victarion) - who the gently caress cares. For pseudo-Vikings, they are pretty boring.

*Theon/Reek - I found these chapters to be highly disturbing, but I was glad that Theon's storyline was picked up again. Once again, we wanted him to get his comeuppance, but not like this....The Bastard of Bolton is the most vile person in any of the books.

*Arya & Bran - Their story lines are interesting... but I don't know where they are going

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
"Whilst" I knew about, but I seriously didn't realize people actually still use "fortnight" in England. Interesting.

In Winds of Winter Sam's going to weigh himself and it'll be measured in "stone". Calling it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bit late to call that.

AGoT posted:

Jon turned. Through the eye slit of his helm, he beheld the fattest boy he had ever seen standing in the door of the armory. By the look of him, he must have weighed twenty stone.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Queej posted:

*Theon/Reek - I found these chapters to be highly disturbing, but I was glad that Theon's storyline was picked up again. Once again, we wanted him to get his comeuppance, but not like this....The Bastard of Bolton is the most vile person in any of the books.

What I want to know is how GRRM will try to make The Bastard a sympathetic character.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

whowhatwhere posted:

What I want to know is how GRRM will try to make The Bastard a sympathetic character.

He won't, he's just a two dimensional cartoon character GURM used to make people sympathize with Theon more. He's Darkstar but with rape and no anime hair.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Anyone who sympathises with Theon is stupid. He is a child-murdering gently caress. Who cares if some psychopath toys with him.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

oogyboogs posted:

I think that the perfumed seneschal refers to the maesters. The head Archmaester is called the Seneschal. And Marwyn says that the maesters want to kill the dragons. Maybe those dudes put a hit on her.

He also talks about how prophecies are BS or some other. I'll look for the passage. I remember it was near the end of the book.

Sorry for quoting you from 2 pages back but I believe you are wrong.

In the book Tyrion asks Moqorro what the name of the ship they are on means (Selaesori Qhoran). The answer he gets is 'fragrant steward', but it could just as well be translated as 'perfumed seneschal'.

Edit: I can't believe I picked that up while reading and then completely missed how it is the same red priest who teams up with Victarion later.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you can't sympathise with someone who has been flayed then there is something wrong with your head.

Sympathy doesn't mean you condone his actions or even like him as person, it just means that you can relate to human suffering.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Neurosis posted:

Anyone who sympathises with Theon is stupid. He is a child-murdering gently caress. Who cares if some psychopath toys with him.

There are many who have a penis and deserve to have it flayed. There are many with a flayed penis who deserve for it to be whole. Can you give it to them? :colbert:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ambiguatron posted:

There are many who have a penis and deserve to have it flayed. There are many with a flayed penis who deserve for it to be whole. Can you give it to them? :colbert:

When you kill two children for no reason you lose the right have sympathy. I'm not sure why I should care about someone who shoved spikes through children's skulls. Though it was a good display of Ramsay's psychopathy.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Did anyone spot pop culture references?

These caught my attention
"I fart in your general direction" is from Monty Python and the Holy grail
Tyrion being the administrator of the royal drains is an official title of Edmund the Black Adder in the first season (this one is probably a little far fetched, although there are some similarities in how the two characters are treated by their fathers. Edmund also kills his father.)

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

kanonvandekempen posted:

In the book Tyrion asks Moqorro what the name of the ship they are on means (Selaesori Qhoran). The answer he gets is 'fragrant steward', but it could just as well be translated as 'perfumed seneschal'.

The ship sunk. It was a red herring, just like the perfumed adviser guy. The perfumed seneschal is probably Varys or a Maester.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

Edit: I can't believe I picked that up while reading and then completely missed how it is the same red priest who teams up with Victarion later.

I was trying to think of these two books as one piece split in twain, and I think that there are clues in AFFC that have to do with ADWD. Since there was a 6 year hang time between the books, the connections won't be as easy to make. that chapter was full of odd things. It also confirms the connection between Euron and Bloodraven imo.

Here's the character Marwyn saying what I think GRRM wants us to take away from the whole "prophecy business."

"Gorghan of Old Ghis once wrote that a prophecy is like a treacherous woman. She takes your member in her mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it and think, how sweet, how fine, how good this is... and then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams. That is the nature of prophecy, said Gorghan. Prophecy will bite your prick off every time."

oogyboogs fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 5, 2011

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

loving hell is this what the fabled Bad Thread was like?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

oogyboogs posted:

It also confirms the connection between Euron and Bloodraven imo.

Could you elaborate on that one? I've never heard about any connection between the two before.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

kanonvandekempen posted:

Tyrion being the administrator of the royal drains is an official title of Edmund the Black Adder in the first season (this one is probably a little far fetched, although there are some similarities in how the two characters are treated by their fathers. Edmund also kills his father.)
I can't believe I forgot about that! (in fairness, the first season is by far the worst)

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

pksage posted:

He (pretty much) had those conclusions done and was told to put them off until Winds by his unbelievably stupid editor:

The books are edited by a retarded fan without critical thought :argh:. The last two books certainly felt like it :(. Another pearl from the interview:

Retarded editor Anne Groell posted:

And DANCE is rife with Tyrion going through some very dark times and some absolutely amazing adventures, so I was a very happy woman. The stuff with Penny alone

So there was the one person who liked having hundred pages with Penny.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

I think that's what GRRM was going for though. We all wished the worst on Theon after what he did in the earlier books. But then the worst actually happened, and its creepy as gently caress and makes us question the hatred we held for him after what he did to Winterfell.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

The ship sunk. It was a red herring, just like the perfumed adviser guy. The perfumed seneschal is probably Varys or a Maester.

I'd agree that Varys or a Maester/the Maesters would be good candidates, but a few people traveling on that ship survived its sinking. I don't think Dany has anything to worry about from Tyrion, (and certainly not Penny), but I think either Jorah or Moqorro could pose some problems for her.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

Thoguh posted:

I think that's what GRRM was going for though. We all wished the worst on Theon after what he did in the earlier books. But then the worst actually happened, and its creepy as gently caress and makes us question the hatred we held for him after what he did to Winterfell.

Yes - this.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Thoguh posted:

I found it hard to care for him at all. I also judged Stannis for sleeping with Melisandre. Excuse me while I cut the hand off someone who tried to pick my pocket.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Neurosis posted:

I found it hard to care for him at all. I also judged Stannis for sleeping with Melisandre. Excuse me while I cut the hand off someone who tried to pick my pocket.

Don't you know that her bed hardly saw any use since Stannis departed? :pervert:

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Neurosis posted:

You must just love "Crime and Punishment".

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Chainsawdomy posted:

You must just love "Crime and Punishment".

Horribly, horribly boring. So was the Brothers Karamazov.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

Could you elaborate on that one? I've never heard about any connection between the two before.

Well, in the AFFC chapter called The Reaver, Victarion and Euron are talking in that room and Euron says:
"When I was a boy, I dreamt I could fly, but when I awoke, I couldn't... or so the maester said."

It kind of seems similar to what Bran went through with his vision of the three eyed crow. I think that Euron had a similar type experience. Then in the Sam chapter, when they are sailing past the wreckage of Euron's fleet, they see this symbol:

"The charge was one Sam had never seen before: a red eye with a black pupil, beneath a black iron crown supported by two crows."

It kind of reminded me of Bloodraven and his red eye. They also call him Crow's Eye a bunch. I feel like the crow thing has to do with Bloodraven being in the Night's Watch. I thought that it meant that he is the Crow's eye-as in, he is Brynden's eyes in Westeros and Valyria.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Neurosis posted:

What, when was this brought up? I miss some of his smaller implications, like Renly and Loras being lovers, saw the scene in the show and was like What that wasnt in there but when I went back and read, it was there between the lines. I did catch the part where Manderlay feeds his party the Frey Pies which I thought was awesome.

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 5, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
^^^^^
the "bed not seeing much use since stannis left" bit means either that they were sleeping together or that he was over at her place a lot and crashed there while she stayed up. The more crucial bit is that she seems to require semen to create the shadow creatures. Remember her offer to Davos, because the king had become too weak or something? (haven't read that bit in ages).

I don't think he should be judged, necessarily. Remember her powders for every occasion? There was something about a power for lust, I think. Quite possible that after the first few times, and Stannis's subsequent rationalizations that it's not illegal for Kings to have mistresses, and it's certainly not anything worse than he's already done (kinslaying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Neurosis posted:

Horribly, horribly boring. So was the Brothers Karamazov.

Yes it would have been a much better book if Profiry arrested Raskolnikov in chapter 2 and flayed him alive.