Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I feel like this has probably already been asked someplace in this thread, but...

Can anyone provide a recommendation for a torque wrench? I have a new Subaru and I read that most bolts top out around 100 lbf. There is a Husky brand one over at Lowes that is 20-100 lbf. Should I find something with a lower minimum limit?

Any brand recommendations? (I know its a personal thing, but advice is nice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I feel like this has probably already been asked someplace in this thread, but...

Can anyone provide a recommendation for a torque wrench? I have a new Subaru and I read that most bolts top out around 100 lbf. There is a Husky brand one over at Lowes that is 20-100 lbf. Should I find something with a lower minimum limit?

Any brand recommendations? (I know its a personal thing, but advice is nice).

Someone in this thread tested a few brands against each other I think. Might be helpful info.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
3/8 SnapOn impact, $50 used and it works fine

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Breast Pussy posted:

3/8 SnapOn impact, $50 used and it works fine

Except it's not a torque wrench?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

AlternateAccount posted:

Except it's not a torque wrench?
if I was talking about torque wrenches I would've quoted the dude who asked about them. I'm just gloating about a decent deal I got.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Speaking of torque wrenches, anyone know a good place to get one recalibrated?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

CornHolio posted:

I used up my gift card at Harbor Freight yesterday and got one of their new Pittsburg Pro 3/8" ratchets.

I loving love the feel of this thing, and it feels much higher quality than my craftsman ratchet (though that one's a bit longer).

I'm not used to their stuff feeling like such high quality... does anybody else have any real-life experience with these?

Its all good till it gets a little wear in, then it feels looser than a Cincinnati whore on a Friday night.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Breast Pussy posted:

if I was talking about torque wrenches I would've quoted the dude who asked about them. I'm just gloating about a decent deal I got.

That is a cool deal. Is 3/8" useful, or somewhat small for an impact? I don't think I've ever seen an impact socket that wasn't 1/2".

jkr266s
Feb 16, 2008
I use my 3/8 impact more than I do my air ratchet, and definitely more than my 1/2in impact. So I'd say it's definitely useful, but I'm not sure I would go buy one just for a home garage, and air ratchet can do most of what it does just a bit slower.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Is there such thing as a quieter air ratchet? I have a 3/8" craftsman one that works just fine, but it's kind of annoying to shove cigarette filters in my ears every time I used it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Breast Pussy posted:

Ah, sorry. And yeah, I WAS kind of jealous :\

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Alldata has a coupon code Enter Code REPAIR2011 that gets you one year for 10 bucks or 3 years for 23 bucks. I assume this is single car price. Enter it in the gift code box.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
So I've finally decided it's time for me to get off my lazy rear end and start learning to weld.

From my research, it seems like the best thing to do is learn to TIG weld. My goals are to be able to repair non-vital motorcycle parts first, then learn to build subframes/fairing stays and exhausts, and then finally move up to mounts for engine swaps, with the last step being making my own frames.

I have a reasonable amount of money to spend to start looking for equipment (~$1200, give or take a few hundred as needed, cheaper is better). I know that there are a number of good brands (Lincoln, Miller), but I'm not entirely sure on what I should be looking for for my particular application, nor what additional tools I should have. I'd love to spend hours at a time welding up bike parts, and I do have a 220v plug in the garage for the washer/dryer setup that I can snag.

Basically, what should go in the novice welder's toolkit? What should I be looking for in a machine?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Z3n posted:

So I've finally decided it's time for me to get off my lazy rear end and start learning to weld.

From my research, it seems like the best thing to do is learn to TIG weld.
Same here.

No particular goals in mind - just think LeMons/Chump car - being able to weld in a window net bracket, weld in some brackets for a motor mount or even cage.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I went MIG and picked up a Hobart a year ago, and a 75/25 bottle. It's 220 Volts, and has performed wonderfully.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I used up my gift card at Harbor Freight yesterday and got one of their new Pittsburg Pro 3/8" ratchets.

I loving love the feel of this thing, and it feels much higher quality than my craftsman ratchet (though that one's a bit longer).

I'm not used to their stuff feeling like such high quality... does anybody else have any real-life experience with these?

When doing a casual comparison between that, the standard craftsman wrench, and the 80ish tooth Snap-on ratchets, the HF ratchet is 80% as nice as the snap-on, and seems to be able to take abuse OK.

Snap-ons are still shaped better, thinner, have a better feel, and are probably stronger, but poo poo, :10bux:

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

daslog posted:

I went MIG and picked up a Hobart a year ago, and a 75/25 bottle. It's 220 Volts, and has performed wonderfully.

Your post does not help. A bit more details.

Personally I would like a mig for 110 w/out a bottle now but able to add one on later. Links to products help too.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Schatten posted:

Your post does not help. A bit more details.

Personally I would like a mig for 110 w/out a bottle now but able to add one on later. Links to products help too.

Without gas it's just flux core. :science:

Look for a Lincoln Weld Pak on craigslist. The 125 or 140 will do 1/4"-5/16" thick, any more and you'd need 240v. You can buy a kit for ~$100 to add gas and convert to MIG.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/equipment/retail-products/Pages/product=K2514-1.aspx

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Anybody got any ideas on what to use this $50 snap on gift card I've had laying around on? I'm leaning towards some nice crimpers or a riveter, but I dont know if the quality justifies the price difference from HF.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kmcormick9 posted:

Anybody got any ideas on what to use this $50 snap on gift card I've had laying around on? I'm leaning towards some nice crimpers or a riveter, but I dont know if the quality justifies the price difference from HF.
Put it towards something where the quality really counts, like a torque wrench. Actually, small-size spanners and flare spanners are worth getting the decent versions of, as they're the kind where cheap ones are more likely to flex and slip.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Id spend it on phillips, flat, hex and torx bits. The HF ratcheting crimpers are actually quite good. The HF terminals and wire suck.

This crimper rocks: http://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-crimping-tool-97420.html

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Lord Gaga posted:

Id spend it on phillips, flat, hex and torx bits. The HF ratcheting crimpers are actually quite good. The HF terminals and wire suck.

This crimper rocks: http://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-crimping-tool-97420.html

Yeah, that crimper works great, especially for ~$12. Easily my favorite Harbor Freight purchase.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Does anybody have experience with this riveter http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=12777&group_ID=1783&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
or any other swivel head riveter for that matter?
Is the action going to be harder than a regular straight on riveter?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

kmcormick9 posted:

Does anybody have experience with this riveter http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=12777&group_ID=1783&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
or any other swivel head riveter for that matter?
Is the action going to be harder than a regular straight on riveter?

Buy a nice ratchet. Arrow brand rivet tools are pretty much all you will need. SharkyTM should be able to back me up on this (uses Arrow for his marine work).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Do you put in a ton of rivets, every day? If so, maybe spend the money for Snap-On.
Otherwise, buy an Arrow. $10 at Home Depot (if you don't need more than 1/8 and 3/16 mandrels), and they last just as long as anything more expensive. I highly doubt the Snappy is anything other than a rebadged Arrow.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How do these air compressors look?

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/2482114603.html
http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/2529928121.html

I'd be using it for light air tool use, and seating tires.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
That Craftsman. My dad has, I believe, that exact same compressor. It is a loud slow piece of poo poo. The only reason it's at all usable is because it has a decent sized tank. All the fittings and lines are poo poo, and it likes to just keep running sometimes until it blows the pop-off valve at like 160PSI and I come over and turn it off myself.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Avoid the Craftsman one. I had one, and sold it in perfect shape for $150. I was glad to be rid of it... I bought a 5HP C-H 80 gallon from Lowes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I've got a horizontal tanked Craftsman similar to the one you linked. It's 15+ years old and works fine for me, never any problems, but I'd get the CH without a second thought.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Z3n posted:

How do these air compressors look?

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/2482114603.html

I'd be using it for light air tool use, and seating tires.

Of the two I'd get the CH. That looks like a 3hp VT series pump, should do ~5cfm@90psi. Just make sure you hear it run.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Thanks guys. I'll drop the CH guy a line.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Recommend me a 12 VDC to 120VAC power converter rated for up to 8 amps

I'm going camping with a friend in the middle of nowhere and we'd like to use a few power tools, except all of the tools we own are corded with only our vehicles as power sources. We only intend to use the tools for a few minutes at a time. I tried googling around, but everything I've found that seems to meet the power requirements looks like it'll burn down our cars.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Brigdh posted:

I'm going camping with a friend in the middle of nowhere and we'd like to use a few power tools, except all of the tools we own are corded with only our vehicles as power sources. We only intend to use the tools for a few minutes at a time. I tried googling around, but everything I've found that seems to meet the power requirements looks like it'll burn down our cars.

Your search will be easier with the right terminology. Going DC>AC takes an "Inverter." You might look at some rough math first, though. Power (watts) = Voltage * Amps So to get 8amps at 120 volts you'll need an inverter rated above 960 watts.

However, using the same formula, the alternator would have to supply 68 amps to get 960 watts at 14v while still providing the engine power to run. That also assumes that the inverter is 100% efficient, which is impossible.

I don't know what you're driving, but the last alternator I replaced was only rated 80amp and that number is probably much lower with the engine at idle speed. There are some big inverters meant for mobile use, but most of them are sold in truck stops.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 6, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Brigdh posted:

Like what kind of power tools? There's a big power difference between a drill and something like a reciprocating saw.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alternatively, get battery powered versions. It's a lot easier to charge a tool battery off of a car than it is to run the tool directly.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

eddiewalker posted:

Your search will be easier with the right terminology. Going DC>AC takes an "Inverter." You might look at some rough math first, though. Power (watts) = Voltage * Amps So to get 8amps at 120 volts you'll need an inverter rated above 960 watts.

However, using the same formula, the alternator would have to supply 68 amps to get 960 watts at 14v while still providing the engine power to run. That also assumes that the inverter is 100% efficient, which is impossible.

I don't know what you're driving, but the last alternator I replaced was only rated 80amp and that number is probably much lower with the engine at idle speed. There are some big inverters meant for mobile use, but most of them are sold in truck stops.

I'm aware the "correct" term is inverter. Wouldn't the vehicle battery make up for any deficit in the alternator?

Lowclock posted:

Like what kind of power tools? There's a big power difference between a drill and something like a reciprocating saw.

drill, jigsaw, and belt sander. The drills are the ones rated at 8amps, the rest are ~4amps

IOwnCalculus posted:

Alternatively, get battery powered versions. It's a lot easier to charge a tool battery off of a car than it is to run the tool directly.

Thats technically a last resort, although the best cordless drills I've seen around only put out half the power of my corded one

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I think a cheap generator will serve you better.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Brigdh posted:

There is no way you can get that much power from a typical car's alternator. You can charge up laptops and phones, but that's about it.

Your options are cordless tools, a generator ($99 HF 1000W gen will run light tools) or do what campers have done for aeons: hand tools.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Um. A 1000 watt rated inverter will do what you want. We run 2000 watt inverters off of just batteries all the time. So long ad the car is running, you'll just drain the battery. I'd suggest buying a deep cycle battery, and running the inverter off of that. You can hook the deep cycle to your existing battery with jumper cables to charge it, or get a battery charger and run that. That being said, use cordless or hand tools, or buy a small genset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Sounds like my friend and I have a few options, we'll just have to discuss pros/cons and come to a conclusion.

Thanks