Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

poxin posted:

Does anyone have google voice set up for their work and personal phone? I'm a little confused on how I would go about doing this without carrying around two phones, yet keeping them sort of separated as far as text messages and the caller ID number when I dial out. Is that possible?

Longer answer:

Pretty much what Duckman said. I have the Voice app configured to ask me every time I dial if I should dial with or without Voice (which determines which phone number shows up for the caller). On the incoming side, I have it said to show the caller ID of the person calling, and in the actual Voice settings (on the website), I have call screening enabled for unknown callers (or specifically, I think it's enabled for everyone, but disabled for all of my contacts).

It's the best compromise I could come up with. Having caller ID show my Voice number is a good way to know that it's a "work" call coming in, but you won't know who it is. Having it show the actual caller's number tells you who it is, but you won't know which number they're calling. Forcing people who are not in your contacts list to say who they are when they call at least gives you a bit of warning, should you need to change how you answer the phone.

Lastly, there's texting, which is... something. Lately it's been working well for me, but in the past I've had a terribly inconsistent experience with receiving text messages using the Voice app. Sometimes they would arrive hours after they were sent, and that was a big enough issue that I enabled text forwarding to my main phone number. The problem is, this kinda sucks. When a person texts your Voice number, you'll receive a text message, but from some completely random phone number. If the person is in your contacts list, you'll get their name at the beginning of the text message so you'll know who it is, but still, it's not an ideal solution.

Anyway, that's a lot of :words:, so I'll give a couple of examples.

My Sprint number is 222-555-1212, and is the one my friends and family have. My Google Voice number is 333-444-8989, and is the number I use for work. The configuration is as described above.

Scenario 1: I need to call a coworker.
I dial the coworker like I would any other caller, and pick the "with Google Voice" option when prompted. Coworker sees 333-444-8989 on their caller ID.

Scenario 2: Coworkers calls me.
Coworker calls 333-444-8989, I see their phone number, know who it is, and answer the call.

Scenario 3: Coworker gives my number to somebody else.
Mystery person calls 333-444-8989 and gets a prompt asking them to say their name. I receive a call from a phone number I don't recognize, answer the call, hear the person's name and have to press 1 to accept the call.

Scenario 4: I need to call my wife.
I dial my wife and pick the "without Google Voice" option. She sees 222-555-1212 on her caller ID.

Texting is similar, depending on which setup you go with. If you use the Google Voice app for your texting, then SMS messages to 222-555-1212 will arrive in your Messaging app (stock, Handcent, whatever) and SMS messages to 333-444-8989 will arrive in your Voice app. If you end up doing the text forwarding thing, everything will go to your Messaging app, but Voice texts will come from phone numbers you do not recognize.

Scenario 5: Bob Smith (who is in your contacts, phone number 444-777-5678) sends a text message to 333-444-8989.

Message comes in from 234-456-7890.
Message text: "Bob Smith - Do you have time for a quick conference call at 3?"

You can reply to the text message from 234-456-7890 and it will be magically forwarded to Bob Smith and appear to have come from your 333-444-8989 number. So it's workable, but it's a little funky.

I hope that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I just don't like having it prompt unknowns to say their names, I've found it to be inconsistent and time consuming. And since most people calling me are customers, I have found it turns them off.

Strangely enough, I have used GVoice since launch of the Mobile App, and since they updated to push i have never had a problem receiving timely text messages.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Strangely enough, I have used GVoice since launch of the Mobile App, and since they updated to push i have never had a problem receiving timely text messages.

When did that happen? It's been a year or so since I last tried using the app to receive texts, and it was horrible. When I reinstalled it recently, that setting got switched back on and it seems to have been pretty consistent for me so far, so I haven't switched back yet. (Also, my last day at this job is Tuesday, so I don't loving care if I get a text message from a coworker 3 hours late)

Also, I have something for you:
http://www.androidcentral.com/evo-shift-4g-line-update

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The GV push updated was some time in March of last year.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
So I just ordered the Evo 4G and it should be here in a couple of days. I've looked around a bit but can't find - what are the preferred accessories for this? I mean screen protectors and/or cases that work well with this phone?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

that one guy posted:

So I just ordered the Evo 4G and it should be here in a couple of days. I've looked around a bit but can't find - what are the preferred accessories for this? I mean screen protectors and/or cases that work well with this phone?

Are you a phone abuser or do your phones look new when you're done with them? If it's the former look at an Otterbox, if it's the latter you probably don't need anything.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Anyone having issues calling in the Burbank/Glendale CA area? I keep getting a robot telling me "error 19, switch 694", then a lady robot telling me to call my number to get customer service, which just gives the same error. Tried a prl and profile update as well as a restart and I'm still getting it. :confused:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

When did that happen? It's been a year or so since I last tried using the app to receive texts, and it was horrible. When I reinstalled it recently, that setting got switched back on and it seems to have been pretty consistent for me so far, so I haven't switched back yet. (Also, my last day at this job is Tuesday, so I don't loving care if I get a text message from a coworker 3 hours late)

Also, I have something for you:
http://www.androidcentral.com/evo-shift-4g-line-update

Haha I saw that just the other day, and it is 1.5 drat weeks late, I replaced her phone with a 3D (thanks Optimus Matrix). Oh well, I'm getting decent money selling her phone, I'll just sell my Evo in a bit for the 3D.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Is the 3g network down for some reason in the winchester va area?
I haven't been able to get a connection all day.
Just took a walk and found some free wifi so I could check my email and stuff.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

sirbeefalot posted:

Anyone having issues calling in the Burbank/Glendale CA area? I keep getting a robot telling me "error 19, switch 694", then a lady robot telling me to call my number to get customer service, which just gives the same error. Tried a prl and profile update as well as a restart and I'm still getting it. :confused:

That's the Evo 3D root bug. If you're not on EPRP, just stay on the line and you'll get forwarded to the right department. Takes about five minutes to fix, and you need access to another phone that customer care can call you on.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Leathal posted:

That's the Evo 3D root bug. If you're not on EPRP, just stay on the line and you'll get forwarded to the right department. Takes about five minutes to fix, and you need access to another phone that customer care can call you on.

But I'm not even rooted... :(

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Thumposaurus posted:

Is the 3g network down for some reason in the winchester va area?
I haven't been able to get a connection all day.
Just took a walk and found some free wifi so I could check my email and stuff.

I don't see any issues being reported in the area. Dumb question but I have to ask, have you tried restarting?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

sirbeefalot posted:

But I'm not even rooted... :(

My bad, I just checked on my netbook and the root bug error code is 16. I guess I'm dyslexic.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Just got the Evo3D.

When I got home, it prompted me for a software update. Does that one fix whatever loopholes lead to rooting/bootloader unlocking?

Is Otterbox still the best case? Does the Commuter add alot of bulk? How's the Impact?

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 4, 2011

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

900ftjesus posted:

Are you a phone abuser or do your phones look new when you're done with them? If it's the former look at an Otterbox, if it's the latter you probably don't need anything.
I do my best but I do have a few little kids and I've been known to periodically drop my phone when exiting the car or whatever. I take pretty good care of them though. If I were to get an Otterbox - there's the Commuter, Impact, and Defender...are you saying they're all good?

I used a screen protector for my Pre and it was good...but I don't know if I really needed it or not. Is the screen protector thing the same as the case? Probably not necessary?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

GigaPeon posted:

Just got the Evo3D.

When I got home, it prompted me for a software update. Does that one fix whatever loopholes lead to rooting/bootloader unlocking?

Is Otterbox still the best case? Does the Commuter add alot of bulk? How's the Impact?

I don't think they have updated to fix the exploit yet so you should be fine.

I tried an Otterbox but didn't see any benefit for the higher price. Ended up getting a Seidio Active case instead and it's perfect. Feels solid, doesn't add much to the overall size, and is cheaper too.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Leathal posted:

My bad, I just checked on my netbook and the root bug error code is 16. I guess I'm dyslexic.

No, actually I mistyped. It is in fact telling me error 16. The hell. Maybe I sleep-rooted? :psyduck:

I saw something earlier about calling from another line and getting <something> reset on their end, what was that?

Haha NEVERMIND, "Larry" just answered my call into customer care by reading a script about how their computer systems are all down and won't be back for 2-4 hours! Hope I don't need to make any calls! :mad:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 4, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

that one guy posted:

I do my best but I do have a few little kids and I've been known to periodically drop my phone when exiting the car or whatever. I take pretty good care of them though. If I were to get an Otterbox - there's the Commuter, Impact, and Defender...are you saying they're all good?

I used a screen protector for my Pre and it was good...but I don't know if I really needed it or not. Is the screen protector thing the same as the case? Probably not necessary?

I personally like the commuter otterbox, and if you go with that brand it is usually the one to get. Good protection and not too bulky. There are a lot of good (and bad) brands so just shop around, see what you want.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Alman posted:

I don't see any issues being reported in the area. Dumb question but I have to ask, have you tried restarting?

Tried restarting it a few times this morning.
Just tried it again and now it works.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
EVO 4G -

I recently re-installed Google Voice, and it did the whole Sprint integration thing... now my texts come up in Google Voice and I want them to come through in Handcent. How do I switch it back?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

CombatMedic posted:

EVO 4G -

I recently re-installed Google Voice, and it did the whole Sprint integration thing... now my texts come up in Google Voice and I want them to come through in Handcent. How do I switch it back?

The best solution I've seen is that you have to go to the GVoice settings on a computer, under your phone number click "Edit," and select the option to "Receive text messages on this phone." You should then receive them in BOTH handcent and the GVoice app. I turned off notifications in the GVoice app's settings on my phone, so I don't get taskbar notifications of new voicemails OR texts from that app, but I usually just check a bit after a missed call for voicemails so its not so bad. Kind of a clunky setup, honestly

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

sirbeefalot posted:

The best solution I've seen is that you have to go to the GVoice settings on a computer, under your phone number click "Edit," and select the option to "Receive text messages on this phone." You should then receive them in BOTH handcent and the GVoice app. I turned off notifications in the GVoice app's settings on my phone, so I don't get taskbar notifications of new voicemails OR texts from that app, but I usually just check a bit after a missed call for voicemails so its not so bad. Kind of a clunky setup, honestly

Or you can just go into the app, check text messages, uncheck notifications. That's it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
This is driving me crazy. What's the magic word I need to tell Sprint tech support to get them to hit whatever switch on their end to make calls work again for me? I seem to be getting the same bug that is hitting some people who have rooted their EVO 3Ds, though I have not rooted mine. My phone went through handsfree activation a couple days ago after a normal, software initiated restart, and I noticed today that I was unable to call any number. I get "Error 16. Switch 694 (while I was at work, or switch 599 at home)"

I just spent an hour on the phone with 1st level customer service and then tech support, and I was given my MSID and MSL. I entered the service edit mode and changed the Mobile Directory Number and MSID back to default (both were incorrect for some reason?) and reset, still have the problem. Tried a battery pull, reset PRL and network profile, nothing worked.

Is this something on Sprint's end or is my phone hosed? HALP

E: Sorry for the bitching, I'll be headed to a repair store. Apparently I'm in their system as "Mobile Active? NO" which sounds exactly correct. :rolleyes:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 5, 2011

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
Generally saying you're considering a different carrier is a good line.

Just be sure to read the person's tone on the other side. Some respond better to upset customers, others respond better to customers that are like "I love Sprint, but I might have to look elsewhere to get a functioning phone.."

Shed fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 5, 2011

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Oh hey look a budget Samsung 4G phone

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/05/samsung-conquer-4g-set-to-raid-sprint-august-21st/

quote:

We've known about the Conquer 4G for a while now, in spite attempts to keep it under wraps. Sprint finally came clean on the existence of the handset today, announcing the milestone 25th 4G capable device for the its network -- the first in that category to hit the market at under $100. The Samsung-manufactured smartphone will hit the market on August 21st for $99.99 (plus a two-year year contract and after mail-in rebate, naturally). The Gingerbread handset packs a 1GHz processor, a 3.5-inch display, and front- and rear-facing cameras. Press after the break.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Do we have any idea when Sprint plans to start rolling out LTE devices? Ever since that announcement, I'd be a bit leery of picking up a brand new WiMax phone, unless it's still going to be a couple of years or something before they start making the switch.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

brc64 posted:

Do we have any idea when Sprint plans to start rolling out LTE devices? Ever since that announcement, I'd be a bit leery of picking up a brand new WiMax phone, unless it's still going to be a couple of years or something before they start making the switch.

Well the first market rollout (according to the press release) is planned for late 2011/early 2012, assuming happy path, so I would imagine sometime next year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

No one really knows anything until Fall at the earliest. If you live in a WiMax area I don't think they are discontinuing that for a while, they just are not building out WiMax 4G any farther.

Pictures make the Conquer look like an ugly rear end phone.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Alman posted:

Well the first market rollout (according to the press release) is planned for late 2011/early 2012, assuming happy path, so I would imagine sometime next year.
Hrm. My upgrade (assuming I do not call and bitch before hand) is up in December, so I'll have some interesting decisions to make at that time. I'm still happy with my EVO 4G, so I may just hold on to that through June/July next year and pick up what may be a new LTE flagship phone at that time. I guess it's really too early to speculate right now.

Stupid ever-advancing technology...

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

brc64 posted:

Hrm. My upgrade (assuming I do not call and bitch before hand) is up in December, so I'll have some interesting decisions to make at that time. I'm still happy with my EVO 4G, so I may just hold on to that through June/July next year and pick up what may be a new LTE flagship phone at that time. I guess it's really too early to speculate right now.

One thing to consider is that whenever LTE does get turned on, it obviously won't be all instantaneous. So it really kinda depends on where you live - it may take a whole extra upgrade period if you live in a rural area.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
I'm still happy with the timing of my upgrade to the Evo3d since I expect that Network Vision's rollout will be decently far along by June 2013. Since I spend half the year in an area that doesn't even have WiMax yet, I'm not expecting LTE for at least two years.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Alman posted:

One thing to consider is that whenever LTE does get turned on, it obviously won't be all instantaneous. So it really kinda depends on where you live - it may take a whole extra upgrade period if you live in a rural area.

I'm near Dallas, which was among the first places to go live on WiMax, so I doubt that will be a problem.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does the Samsung Replenish run Samsung's custom-brewed Android (a la the Epic) or does it run normal Android?

My parents have an upgrade in the bank and I'm sick of my Blackberry's random freezes and crashes. Also I'm on SERO and I'm hoping I can make the $10 fee go away.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone else's homepage on the evo 3d go off by like half an inch or more sometimes when trying to click? Like trying to click an icon on the right side will click the one next to it on the left.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

I have my fingers crossed the Nexus ICS will be LTE, but I doubt it.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Ok, tried messing around in Google Voice settings online with no success. I'm getting 3 hour delays with texts, and I dont even want to use GV for texting, just Voicemail with CM7.

How can I stop GV from handling my goddamn texts?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Pictures make the Conquer look like an ugly rear end phone.
Interestingly it appears to use a Snapdragon, not a Hummingbird, and so is MSM platform like most HTC devices.

I'm not sure what that means in practice. I don't know of another Samsung Android device that doesn't use their own SoC.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Also I'm on SERO and I'm hoping I can make the $10 fee go away.
I understand that the Replenish requires SERO Premium ($40/mo). At which point the Optimus S, Echo, and Arrive (WP7) are better devices. Have you considered one of those?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

CombatMedic posted:

Ok, tried messing around in Google Voice settings online with no success. I'm getting 3 hour delays with texts, and I dont even want to use GV for texting, just Voicemail with CM7.

How can I stop GV from handling my goddamn texts?

Go to the webapp settings panel. Click "Edit" next to your cell number > Check "Receive text messages on this phone" > Save.

Open up the android Voice app. Go to Settings > Sync and Notifications > Uncheck "Inbox Notifications"

The big downside to this is that you won't get notifications for new voicemails, so you'll have to occasionally check the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Leathal posted:

Go to the webapp settings panel. Click "Edit" next to your cell number > Check "Receive text messages on this phone" > Save.

Open up the android Voice app. Go to Settings > Sync and Notifications > Uncheck "Inbox Notifications"

The big downside to this is that you won't get notifications for new voicemails, so you'll have to occasionally check the app.

So is there another generic android VM app or am I screwed?