Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
There was this platformer, it would have been in the 90's, for PC. It was about this kid who was terrified of everything, and you had to go through the levels to find these shadows, but it would turn out that they weren't things to be terrified of, just people from the character's life. I remember my cousin also told me about this cartoon she saw that had the same name as it, which the game was probably based off of. The kid also used a yo-yo to attack.

Any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dendy crew
Jun 1, 2011

Dendy!, Dendy!, We love Dendy! Dendy - Everyone plays it!
Trying to remember this one edutainment title for classic mac os that was CD-Rom based, it involved being abducted by aliens?

You had to complete little science activities in a prerendered 3D spaceship; the aliens you were abducted by threatened to scramble your brains if you didn't which I vividly remember being absolutely terrifying because they too were rendered in early 90s CG and uncanny as all hell.

I remember it being packed on a demo disc of some kind and only two of the experiments were available? And some door that you walked through that was made of fluid?

It might have been on one of the club kidsoft CDs?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

There was this platformer, it would have been in the 90's, for PC. It was about this kid who was terrified of everything, and you had to go through the levels to find these shadows, but it would turn out that they weren't things to be terrified of, just people from the character's life. I remember my cousin also told me about this cartoon she saw that had the same name as it, which the game was probably based off of. The kid also used a yo-yo to attack.

Any help?

Nightmare Ned, or maybe one of the Pajama Sam games?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I remember a game, vaguely. (Of course, considering the thread. :v:) It was an adventure game of some kind. The main character, I think, was a young woman, and could ride on a dragon. It was for the PC and I played it like 8 years ago or so. There was a big valley with a mountain range around it in what I was playing (The demo) and caves with orcs and other such monsters in them which you could fight off with a sword.

Any ideas?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Anatharon posted:

I remember a game, vaguely. (Of course, considering the thread. :v:) It was an adventure game of some kind. The main character, I think, was a young woman, and could ride on a dragon. It was for the PC and I played it like 8 years ago or so. There was a big valley with a mountain range around it in what I was playing (The demo) and caves with orcs and other such monsters in them which you could fight off with a sword.

Any ideas?
Sounds like one of the Drakan games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I pretty much know exactly what this game is, but I can't identify the title, no matter how hard I look.

It was an Amiga game, probably C64 too. You might recognize the art style as being very similar to North & South, as I believe it was based on a Belgian comic by the same guy. The whole thing was some sort of mini-game collection set inside a 19th century prison, with guys in striped uniforms and everything.

I remember you had to peel potatoes in one of the mini-games, and I seem to recall there being one where you had to escape using a trampoline as well.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Hakkesshu posted:

I pretty much know exactly what this game is, but I can't identify the title, no matter how hard I look.

It was an Amiga game, probably C64 too. You might recognize the art style as being very similar to North & South, as I believe it was based on a Belgian comic by the same guy. The whole thing was some sort of mini-game collection set inside a 19th century prison, with guys in striped uniforms and everything.

I remember you had to peel potatoes in one of the mini-games, and I seem to recall there being one where you had to escape using a trampoline as well.

Is it Bobo?

On the C64 it seems to be called "Stir Crazy featuring Bobo".

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 3, 2011

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, that's exactly it. Thanks a lot. What a weird name.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

Sounds like one of the Drakan games.

Definitely Drakan, god I loved that game. I think I'll go track down my disc again.

Shame the PS2 one's so hard to find, only ever played an hour or two's worth.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So there's this NES game with, I want to say, monster trucks or at least some sort of big trucks you race. It's a sort of overhead view, and you race towards the top of the screen. The trucks had heavy customization in terms of their internal mechanisms and stuff, you could buy different engines and brakes and things like that, with money you won from races. The tracks had a lot of mud and puddles and stuff you could splash through which slowed you down. The graphics weren't cartoony or anime-styled, but obviously NES games can't look too realistic.

The part I'm not sure if I remember or if I'm imagining it is that it had split-screen racing for two players, which still had the customization aspects going for it.

I have no idea what it was called.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

R.C. Pro-Am 2 maybe? Though you don't only race towards the top of the screen in that, it's got pretty much everything else you described.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kelp Plankton posted:

So there's this NES game with, I want to say, monster trucks or at least some sort of big trucks you race. It's a sort of overhead view, and you race towards the top of the screen. The trucks had heavy customization in terms of their internal mechanisms and stuff, you could buy different engines and brakes and things like that, with money you won from races. The tracks had a lot of mud and puddles and stuff you could splash through which slowed you down. The graphics weren't cartoony or anime-styled, but obviously NES games can't look too realistic.

The part I'm not sure if I remember or if I'm imagining it is that it had split-screen racing for two players, which still had the customization aspects going for it.

Bigfoot?

Edit: Look at how loving awesome I am: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzQONaxlYwk

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 3, 2011

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is this one dead then?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2855926&pagenumber=72#lastpost

edit: Oh I see, there's just two for some reason.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Kelp Plankton posted:

Sort of sounds like Super Off-Road. There wasn't split-screen (the race was all on one screen) but there is side-by-side vehicle customization with the cash you win, and there's water and dirt and crap on the track, but you don't race toward the top of the screen.

Edit: Dammit, Bigfoot is probably it, but Super Off-Road was a much better game

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ponzicar posted:

Nightmare Ned, or maybe one of the Pajama Sam games?

Hot-drat that's it! Thanks a lot! It's Nightmare Ned, but I also played Pajama Sam a lot and completely forgot about it. Thanks!

Hottentot Apron
Dec 28, 2008
Okay, been looking for a number of older games I played when I was a youngun. This first one will probably be the hardest to identify. I would have played this in the early-to-mid nineties. I believe it was a DOS game with a platforming element. All I remember is playing as an explorer/adventurer seeking out treasure or items. I recall there being ladders connecting the platforms, and there was some sort of enemy threat which may or may not have included yetis, penguins, and/or birds. I don't know if you could attack them. It may have been called "Himalaya" or "Avalanche" or something to that effect.

The next three were all Commodore 64 games (cartridges?) that I owned about fifteen years ago, but have long since been sold.

The first game was one where you played as a (red?) car in a 3/4 top-down view. I remember driving along, avoiding other cars and obstacles, and that you could jump. I think there was something that could make you go in reverse, too. Maybe it was called "Bump and Go" or something along those lines?

The next one was some sort of Chu Chu rocket precursor where you played as a (blue?) mouse running around a maze, collecting cheese, and avoiding (red?) cats.

The last one was a sort of roguelike or dungeoncrawl that was much too difficult for a ten-year-old kid to be playing. I think I recall that most elements were white on a black background, and some of the starting enemies were snakes. The reason it was so hard was that I'd always move further into the dungeon or down a floor and get insta-killed by a snake enemy that was identified as a "Black Mamba." It moved across the screen extremely quickly, much faster than the wimpy enemies that you were supposed to kill. I think there was probably a text box that displayed messages, which always ended with me being brutally murdered.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

duckfarts posted:

Bigfoot?

Edit: Look at how loving awesome I am: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzQONaxlYwk

Unless there's another game incredibly similar to this, I'm pretty sure this is it. I had no idea it was a licenced game! Just knew it was monster trucks. Thanks!

Okay, let's try another one:

I think it might be kind of an edutainment game but I'm not sure. It was a PC title, an adventure game sort of thing, which I remember was very stylized, and primarily the color yellow, but not really primitive graphics. It used black and white photos for the backgrounds, and had stylized animated characters doing stuff. A brother and sister I think. The plot might have had something to do with bees, and I remember there was some sort of large machinery involved and some sense of danger to what was going on(though i was in like 3rd grade so i could be wrong). There was also like a 'scene menu' you could use to jump around the game, if I remember right. I think there was more than one title in the 'series' but I could be wrong and maybe it was just different parts of the game I was seeing. I only ever played it at my friend's house, so I'm not sure. This was the mid/late 90s to early 2000s-ish. I wish I could pin down a better timeframe.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 5, 2011

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hottentot Apron posted:

The next one was some sort of Chu Chu rocket precursor where you played as a (blue?) mouse running around a maze, collecting cheese, and avoiding (red?) cats.
I really had another game in mind when searching, but chanced upon Radar Rat Race which sounds reasonably close to what you described.

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X

Hottentot Apron posted:

Okay, been looking for a number of older games I played when I was a youngun. This first one will probably be the hardest to identify. I would have played this in the early-to-mid nineties. I believe it was a DOS game with a platforming element. All I remember is playing as an explorer/adventurer seeking out treasure or items. I recall there being ladders connecting the platforms, and there was some sort of enemy threat which may or may not have included yetis, penguins, and/or birds. I don't know if you could attack them. It may have been called "Himalaya" or "Avalanche" or something to that effect.

The next three were all Commodore 64 games (cartridges?) that I owned about fifteen years ago, but have long since been sold.

The first game was one where you played as a (red?) car in a 3/4 top-down view. I remember driving along, avoiding other cars and obstacles, and that you could jump. I think there was something that could make you go in reverse, too. Maybe it was called "Bump and Go" or something along those lines?

The last one was a sort of roguelike or dungeoncrawl that was much too difficult for a ten-year-old kid to be playing. I think I recall that most elements were white on a black background, and some of the starting enemies were snakes. The reason it was so hard was that I'd always move further into the dungeon or down a floor and get insta-killed by a snake enemy that was identified as a "Black Mamba." It moved across the screen extremely quickly, much faster than the wimpy enemies that you were supposed to kill. I think there was probably a text box that displayed messages, which always ended with me being brutally murdered.

I think the first C64 game you're thinking of is something called "Up 'n Down": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LAg57BS__4

The Entity fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 5, 2011

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Hottentot Apron posted:

Possibly Arctic Adventure, the sequel to Pharaoh's Tomb.

Both of which are freeware now and you can get here!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Entity posted:

I think the first C64 game you're thinking of is something called "Up 'n Down": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LAg57BS__4

It's either that or Burnin' Rubber

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
Please, help me. I have been haunted by vague blocky images from this game I played probably around 98, for at least 4 months now. Your character is this guy who shoots lasers and you can get power-ups and I know one was a beam, one was like rapid fire another bounced off walls or split into multiple directions, I think. The game had something like carnival in its name. Your character was in a tournament or something. The enemies were either demons or aliens. I know for sure one boss was a huge green blob that may have had spikes and a huge mouth of sharp teeth. His name was Horace or Henry or Harold. It began with an H. And when the battle started, he'd roar: I will crush you!!! Please help. Much thanks in advance.

Edit: It might help if I mentioned this was a cheap, free PC game.

PriNcessofDarXness fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 5, 2011

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
There's this PC game that I played back in 2000-2001 that my friend let me borrow. And of course I can't remember the name of it. So here are the details:

-game was a biological horror story in the same vein as Resident Evil.
-it was set in modern times, I think in an abandoned european city. (filled with monsters, of course)
-main characters were three soldier/commando type dudes were we sent to said european city for some reason. The leader was american, one of the other soldier dudes was eastern european with a bad accent. Can't remember any details about the other.
-gameplay was similar to japanese rpg's like Final Fantasy. You would explore the world and such until you encountered monsters, and then the game would switch to combat mode.
-combat mode was turn-based strategy. You'd move your characters on a square-grid map and position them to attack enemies.
-One unusual feature was how guns worked: they could only hit targets in a specific path. The pistol could only fire in four directions, the rile could do eight. This meant that an enemy could literely stand right next to you.. but you couldn't shoot it because I wasn't standing on a square that's in the direction your gun could aim.
-There were various weapons you could use like a pistol, assault rifle, flamethrower, melee weapons, etc. Ammo was scarce so you would by relying on melee weapons alot. Some weapons like the flamethrower had unlimited ammo but could only fire once every few turns.
-Along the way you picked up another character, a female scientist or something. She dies shortly after getting attacked by a monster that could cloak itself.

Any takers?

itrorev fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 5, 2011

RDNZL
Apr 19, 2008
I've been trying for years to find the name of this game. It's an old PC game (or possibly a C64 one.) It was a platformer involving a worker climbing ladders and crossing girders to get to the top of a construction site. I think you had to dodge bricks and flowerpots. I remember it being very bright, with a lot of yellow, and decent graphics -- it wasn't a stick man or anything like that. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
I'm remembering a PC game I bought several years ago, It was a top-down shoot 'em up set in space, where some kind of science experiment had gone wrong and warped you into a weird universe. You piloted a ship (of which you had a couple) away from a larger space-station thing and blew up asteroids to harvest their precious, precious internal minerals. The ships could be upgraded and have new weapons/tools/etc researched, as could the station to a limited extent.

there were several "levels" consisting of many smaller areas, and the end of each area was a bossfight, typical shmup stuff.

My brain is telling me this game was called "stardock" but that's the name of two companies (one a game company, one not gently caress me they're the same company, but still not the maker of this game) and not the name of a game that I have been able to find. Searching just "star" on gamefaqs didn't ring any bells, either. Does anyone remember this or is it all in my head?

Edit: STARSCAPE. I found it. decent game, kinda hard at times though.

teamdest fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 5, 2011

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

itrorev posted:

There's this PC game that I played back in 2000-2001 that my friend let me borrow. And of course I can't remember the name of it. So here are the details:

-it was set in modern times, I think in an abandoned european city. (filled with monsters, of course)
-main characters were three soldier/commando type dudes were we sent to said european city for some reason. The leader was american, one of the other soldier dudes was eastern european with a bad accent. Can't remember any details about the other.
-gameplay was similar to japanese rpg's like Final Fantasy. You would explore the world and such until you encountered monsters, and then the game would switch to combat mode.
-combat mode was turn-based strategy. You'd move your characters on a square-grid map and position them to attack enemies.
-One unusual feature was how guns worked: they could only hit targets in a specific path. The pistol could only fire in four directions, the rile could do eight. This meant that an enemy could literely stand right next to you.. but you couldn't shoot it because I wasn't standing on a square that's in the direction your gun could aim.
-There were various weapons you could use like a pistol, assault rifle, flamethrower, melee weapons, etc. Ammo was scarce so you would by relying on melee weapons alot. Some weapons like the flamethrower had unlimited ammo but could only fire once every few turns.
-Along the way you picked up another character, a female scientist or something. She dies shortly after getting attacked by a monster that could cloak itself.

Any takers?

Gorky 17?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJL5Wx--d-Q

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

teamdest posted:

I'm remembering a PC game I bought several years ago, It was a top-down shoot 'em up set in space...

You're thinking about Starscape.

Edit: Welp.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Mehuyael posted:

You're thinking about Starscape.

Edit: Welp.

Thank you nonetheless, it was driving me completely batty.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

itrorev posted:

Any takers?

To echo the other guy, that is definitely Gorky 17, now available on GoG.com

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
^^^^ Yep that's it!! THanks guys!

Hottentot Apron
Dec 28, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Radar Rat Race

The Entity posted:

"Up 'n Down"

Discount Viscount posted:

Arctic Adventure

YES. You guys are awesome. These are all absolutely what I was looking for. Now if someone can remember that last C64 title, I can hit ebay and die a happy man.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Some game I remember hearing about a while ago. It was basically Hogwarts: The Game where you are in a magical academy, have to study for tests, do wizard poo poo, etc. Was for PC, may have been online. Definitely required moneys.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Morpheus posted:

Some game I remember hearing about a while ago. It was basically Hogwarts: The Game where you are in a magical academy, have to study for tests, do wizard poo poo, etc. Was for PC, may have been online. Definitely required moneys.
This might be Academagia, although I could swear there was another game very much like it. It is eluding my efforts to track it down, however.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hottentot Apron posted:

Sounds like one of the Temple of Apshai games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MMAgCh posted:

This might be Academagia, although I could swear there was another game very much like it. It is eluding my efforts to track it down, however.

That is definitely the one I was thinking of, thanks!

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

PrincessofDarkness posted:

Please, help me. I have been haunted by vague blocky images from this game I played probably around 98, for at least 4 months now. Your character is this guy who shoots lasers and you can get power-ups and I know one was a beam, one was like rapid fire another bounced off walls or split into multiple directions, I think. The game had something like carnival in its name. Your character was in a tournament or something. The enemies were either demons or aliens. I know for sure one boss was a huge green blob that may have had spikes and a huge mouth of sharp teeth. His name was Horace or Henry or Harold. It began with an H. And when the battle started, he'd roar: I will crush you!!! Please help. Much thanks in advance.

Edit: It might help if I mentioned this was a cheap, free PC game.
I don't think there were ever free versions, but some of the details make me think of either Smash TV or Total Carnage. Either one look familiar?

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug
I have three, all of them on the PC around the mid to late 90's.

1.) Isometric RPG where you start off as a pig farmer. I can only remember being in the first town, which was huge, while everyone just treated you like poo poo for being a pig farmer.

2.) I only had the demo of this game, but I remember the beginning well. You wake up in a futuristic prison cell and somehow get into a fist fight with a robot. The game was mostly about punching and kicking robots into walls. The fighting was done with the number pad and was painfully slow.

3.) I barely remember this one, but I might get lucky. I think it was isometric. All I know for sure was that you lived in a very fascist town, it had a 1984 vibe to everything. I remember lots of things were spherical, like some one peeing on the street peed a stream of yellow balls. Bullets were little balls too. I think everyone was grey or maybe yellow and I think you were blue. A different color than everyone else anyway. Sorry this one is so vague.

Edit: \/\/\/ Yeah, that's definitely the first two. Thanks!

The Big Lebowski fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 6, 2011

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First game is Dink Smallwood and the second sounds like Bioforge.

e: Third game sounds like Little Big Adventure.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 6, 2011

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug
Wow, never thought I'd get all three. I've been wondering about those for years, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm looking for this retro-style 2D platformer I just read about somewhere a few weeks ago—I don't know if it's actually out yet or not. I do recall that it's heavily inspired by the NES Strider—I'm pretty sure you can climb and hang from platforms just like in Strider, and in particular your character's sword slash looks identical to Strider's.