Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rizzo Crackers
Oct 11, 2009

Like a midget at a urinal, I was gonna have to keep on my toes.
Made this for a Goon SWTOR Guild,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzhDkdOqDb8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Rizzo Crackers posted:

Love it. Luke's dejected sigh after is great.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Rizzo Crackers posted:

Even the first 15 seconds of this video make me realize that ESB is the best Star Wars movie. :allears:

Rizzo Crackers
Oct 11, 2009

Like a midget at a urinal, I was gonna have to keep on my toes.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Even the first 15 seconds of this video make me realize that ESB is the best Star Wars movie. :allears:

Will admit it felt a little weird butchering probably my favourite scene in the entire saga. but it was a laugh anyway.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

arioch posted:

The only real problem with the Wraith Squadron trilogy is that they had to kind of half-rear end the ending of Solo Command a bit. They should've gone ahead and blew up the real Iron Fist because I don't think Courtship specified if Zsinj still had Iron Fist as a Super..

Nope. It's explicitly the real deal. Allston was already written into a corner, and did altogether too well dealing with pre-ordained stuff.

I mean, actually finding a good use for the Nightshade? Really?

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I greatly prefer Stackpole's X-Wing books to Allston's. Wraith Squadron just felt too much like a wacky underdog sports team story. You get a group of misfits and outcasts together and what do you know, they save the day in humorous ways.

Nckdictator posted:

In semi Star Wars related news Lucasfilm is putting out a new movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpA6TC0T_Lw

This exact movie has already been done http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114745/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I don't want to be "that guy" but honestly I have never found Allston's humor all that funny and I don't really get why the entire fanbase appointed him the king of Star Wars comedy.

Honestly, I thought that Tag and Bink and the Villie-centered comic story by Ostrander were both a lot funnier.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I thought he was really good in the first two books, but everything in Starfighters of Adumar felt forced, like the publisher specifically requested that all the characters constantly do the wackiest things possible and it got old really fast.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sean Stewart wrote the funniest Star Wars novel :colbert:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

WhyteRyce posted:

Sean Stewart wrote the funniest Star Wars novel :colbert:

Was about to post this. As much as I dislike some stuff about the Clone Wars EU that Yoda book is suprisingly good.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 1, 2011

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Whatever, Starfighters is the best X-Wing Star wars book.

Fixed that for ya

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Slantedfloors posted:

Allston's books are actually considered better than the Stackpole ones. Man just knows how to write humour.

I wouldn't say they're better. They're extremely good in a different way than Stackpole's books are good. Both are extremely good, and worth reading, and represent some of the high points in the Star Wars EU. None of the X-Wing books are allowed in the Book Barn thread.

I will agree, though, that Starfighters is one of my favorite Star Wars books.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Out of boredom I've been watching Star wars OT with the commentary on and they've been kinda interesting. I wrote them off before because they make a mistake of having everyone record their commentary separate, then putting it together after. So there's no banter, it's just really dry. But the tidbits, even from George, are interesting.

Just wrapped up Empire and Kirshner's parts were cool even if he definitely was a tad senile at that point by the way he talked. One thing kinda struck me at the end he said though.

quote:

After the film was done shooting, George called me and told me we would have the opening be in London, so he said 'You're going to be in London next week' and I said 'Great! So when do we go?' and he said 'We're not going, you're going. This was your movie, and if we both go, I'd be sharing the credit for your work'

It's so :unsmith: it really makes me wonder what just happened to George to make him so egotistical and cynical.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's so :unsmith: it really makes me wonder what just happened to George to make him so egotistical and cynical.

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux: x however many Lightsaber toys were sold.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't know, it seems perfectly in keeping with his current personality. He seems obsessed with control and ownership. Seems logical he would see Empire Strikes Back as Kershner's movie, since Lucas had the least amount of input in that one. I think a lot of the "raging rear end in a top hat" parts of him are either manufactured or taken out of context.

The guy's just a weird, spergy weirdo and always has been, I think.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Phylodox posted:

I don't know, it seems perfectly in keeping with his current personality. He seems obsessed with control and ownership. Seems logical he would see Empire Strikes Back as Kershner's movie, since Lucas had the least amount of input in that one. I think a lot of the "raging rear end in a top hat" parts of him are either manufactured or taken out of context.

The guy's just a weird, spergy weirdo and always has been, I think.

I don't think so. I know it's not cool to have faith in George anymore but Kirshner seemed to really be touched by his generosity both at that time and after. I don't think he'd give RotJ to Marquand at all if he really felt that way about Empire at the time (I realize NOW it's his least favorite film, but I think something changed over time).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm not saying it wasn't a genuinely nice thing to do, I'm just saying that I think his eccentricity has two sides. On the one, more infamous side, he micro-manages and obsesses and hates anything messy, spontaneous, or human about the film-making process. When he's allowed to run a production the way he wants, he tends to take complete credit for the whole process. On the other hand, in the case of Empire Strikes Back, he's perfectly willing to admit that it wasn't his movie, and has no interest in taking credit for it. I think Return of the Jedi, while being directed by Marquand, is still very much a George Lucas movie, while Empire isn't.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't think so. I know it's not cool to have faith in George anymore but Kirshner seemed to really be touched by his generosity both at that time and after. I don't think he'd give RotJ to Marquand at all if he really felt that way about Empire at the time (I realize NOW it's his least favorite film, but I think something changed over time).

I agree with what you're saying about Kershner being genuinely touched, but Marquand was given RotJ for some very specific reasons. Lucas had little control over Empire, but had a ton of money wrapped up in it. Like, all of his money, and money he had to take out a loan for. If it failed, he was finished. Gary Kurtz was supposed to be his man on set for Empire, ensuring everything went how Lucas wanted, while Lucas controlled the business of Skywalker ranch. But Kurtz always sided with Kershner, and the film went over budget and over deadline all the time. Lucas felt betrayed by Kurtz, and in a way you can't blame him. Yeah, Empire turned out to be the best Star Wars movie, but Lucas wanted these films to make a ton of money to finance his vision of an independent film studio (obviously his goal changed over time). Gary Kurtz was supposed to back him up and make sure the film was financially viable, and he kept screwing Lucas over. It made an amazing film, but from Lucas' point of view that wasn't the job Kurtz was supposed to have.

When RotJ came around, Lucas just wanted to be done with the movies. His plan for 9 movies evaporated, and he condensed films 6-9 into RotJ. He hired Marquand because he could control and trust him to do what Lucas wanted. Hell, a good portion of RotJ is actually directed by Lucas, but he didn't want to actually be responsible for directing all of it. Just controlling all of it. Marquand wasn't hired because of the good experience with Kershner, he hired him because of the bad experience with Kershner and Kurtz. Remember, Empire made the least money out of all the Star Wars movies. Lucas has a love of film, but it's not really on display in his Star Wars movies. He did these to make money (well, at least the ones after the original Star Wars), to finance Skywalker Ranch.

ChineseTea
Jul 22, 2011
What exactly was Darth Nihilus. From KOTOR 2, I understand that he was some sort of physical manifestation of the dark side of the Force but what does that actually mean. Was he "dead" or even a living thing. If so, how was he able to be killed by the Exile when it was implied he has some insane powers such as being able to kill everything on Katarr by the Force alone.

He was a very interesting concept but some aspects of him (it?) were quite baffling, more so since my main source of SW EU knowledge are through games. His entry on Wookipedia got very technical about him being a "wound of the Force" or something so I'm hoping someone can provide me with more details on this guy.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChineseTea posted:

What exactly was Darth Nihilus. From KOTOR 2, I understand that he was some sort of physical manifestation of the dark side of the Force but what does that actually mean. Was he "dead" or even a living thing. If so, how was he able to be killed by the Exile when it was implied he has some insane powers such as being able to kill everything on Katarr by the Force alone.

He was a very interesting concept but some aspects of him (it?) were quite baffling, more so since my main source of SW EU knowledge are through games. His entry on Wookipedia got very technical about him being a "wound of the Force" or something so I'm hoping someone can provide me with more details on this guy.

He's basically the Exile's dark counterpart. He is a regular dude who got so hosed up by the destruction of a planet that he basically began to suck the force like a force vampire until he became nothing but a horrible monster leech. The reason the Exile could kill him was because the Exile was hosed up in a somewhat similar way and so Darth Nihilus couldn't Force Vampire him, and as an end result, was just a regular guy who got lightsabered in the face.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's been a while since I've played KOTOR II, but I always thought that Nihilus had never been a "real" person, that he was a sort of Force-entity created from the destruction of Malachor V and its damage to the Force. I remember being disappointed when one of the Wizards of the Coast RPGs a few years ago provided a background for Nihilus being an actual person before becoming Nihilus at Malachor.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I remember being hugely disappointed with Nihilus since he had so much more potential as a villain. Another casualty of the KoTOR 2 cuts.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nihilus makes a lot more sense when you stop thinking of him as a character and instead think of him as a super-weapon. He's not Vader, he's the Death Star. He's just a big scary means of destruction that the heroes have to stop, not an actual character.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Hi all, I just finished catching up on this delightful thread and am eager to joing the nerdfest. I pretty much read all of NJO which ranged from painful to delightful. I was especially pissed of at the Voxyn. Where killing the queen magicly meant they couldn't clone any more despite the genetic material being available in a number of Voxyn in later books.

And Wookiepedia basicly said that Anakin Solo died because people might get confused between him and A. Skywalker...I don't see how anybody whos buying a Star Wars novel wouldn't be able to make that distinction.

So the killed him of with some contrived threat to all jedi (Voxyn) in which killing one particular one means that couldnt clone more...and the one they are CLONING from is bigger/meaner/smarter/forcesensitiver then all the other ones. Literal Boss Voxyn.

I was planning on reading Dark Nest and on but you guys have got me :ohdear: to read about...bug orgies.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Bombadilillo posted:

Hi all, I just finished catching up on this delightful thread and am eager to joing the nerdfest. I pretty much read all of NJO which ranged from painful to delightful. I was especially pissed of at the Voxyn. Where killing the queen magicly meant they couldn't clone any more despite the genetic material being available in a number of Voxyn in later books.

And Wookiepedia basicly said that Anakin Solo died because people might get confused between him and A. Skywalker...I don't see how anybody whos buying a Star Wars novel wouldn't be able to make that distinction.

So the killed him of with some contrived threat to all jedi (Voxyn) in which killing one particular one means that couldnt clone more...and the one they are CLONING from is bigger/meaner/smarter/forcesensitiver then all the other ones. Literal Boss Voxyn.

I was planning on reading Dark Nest and on but you guys have got me :ohdear: to read about...bug orgies.

I quit reading Star Wars novels after slogging through the first Dark Nest book, it was just terrible.

Not sure what you've read or haven't read but here's what I would recomend...

Darth Maul:Shadow Hunter- Set right before the Phanton Menace, dark but good. A Jedi Padawn and a infromation dealer are being stalked through the Coruscant underworld by Darth Maul. Reminds me of the Termenator movies. Ties in to the Medstar annd Coruscant Nights books. Also features one of my favorite passages in a Star Wars book.

quote:

Coruscant.

The name evoked the same image in the mind of nearly every civilized being in the galaxy. Coruscant: Bright center of the universe, cynosure of all inhabited worlds, crown jewel of the Core systems. Coruscant, seat of government for the myriad worlds of an entire galaxy.

Coruscant, the epitome of culture and learning, synthesis of a million different civilizations.Coruscant.Seeing the planet from orbit was the only way to fully appreciate the enormity of the construction. Practically all of Coruscant's landmass-which comprised almost all of its surface area, its oceans and seas having been drained or rerouted through huge subterranean caverns more than a thousand generations ago- was covered with a multitiered metropolis composed of towers, monads, ziggurats, palazzi, domes, and minarets. By day the many crosshatched levels of 16 skycar traffic and the thousands of spaceships that entered and left its atmosphere almost blotted out views of the endless cityscape, but at night Coruscant revealed its full splendor outshining at close range even the spectacular nebulae and globular clusters of the nearby Galactic Core.

The planet radiated so much heat energy that, were it not for thousands of strategically placed CO2 reactive dampers in the upper atmo-sphere, it would long ago have been transformed into a lifeless rock by a rampant atmospheric degeneration.An endless ring of titanic skyscrapers girded Coruscant around its equator, some of them tall enough to pierce the upper fringes of atmosphere. Similar, if shorter structures could be found almost anyplace on the globe.

It was those rarefied upper levels, spacious and clean, that constituted most peoples' conception of the galactic capital.But all visions of soaring beauty and wealth, no matter how stately, must be grounded somewhere, somehow. Along the equatorial strip, below the lowest stratum of air traffic, beneath the illuminated skywalks and the glittering facades, lay another view of Coruscant. There, sunlight never penetrated; the endless city night was lit only by flickering neon holo-projections advertising sleazy attractions and shady businesses. Spider-roaches and huge armored rats in-fested the shadows, and hawk-bats with wingspans of up to one and a half meters roosted in the rafters of deserted structures. This was the underbelly of Coruscant, unseen and unacknowledged by the wealthy, belonging solely to the disenfranchised and the damned.

This was the part of Coruscant that Lorn Pavan called home

Shatterpoint - Set in the early Clone Wars, basicly the Vietnam War in space. Really gritty but not grittyness sake. One of my favorites. Ties into Luke Sywalker and the Shadows of Mindor

Medstar I and II - Imagine MASH in space. Pretty good and ties in to Shadow Hunter and the Coruscant Nights books.

Yoda - Dark Rendezvous - Set near the end of the Clone Wars, features Yoda traveling to Vjun for a chance to negotiate a end to the war with Dooku. Really provides alot of character for Dooku and makes him seem sympathetic. Also features some hilarious scenes and great new characters.

The Han Solo Adventures- Set between RotS and ANH. Really great short novels full of Han Solo being Han Solo. Don't read if you want grim-dark style plots. Great pulpy fun.

Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina- set during A New Hope, a bunch of short stories about the aliens hanging out in the cantina. Some stories are pretty good, like the one about the Stormtrooper, some are morbidly funny like the one about the goat-man who tries to date rape a woman but finds out the hard way theat her race's mating ritual involve the female gutting the male.

Tales from the Empire- A collection of short stories set from slightly before ANH to just before Dark Empire. Most of the stories - i thought- were pretty forgetable but there were a few that stood out. Do No Harm about a pacifist doctor in the Rebel Alliance being forced to kill a Imperial officer and Side Trip in which Hal and Corran Horn, some smugglers, and Admiral Thrawn team up to take down underworld boss Zekka Thyne, worth it for seeing Thrawn's plan work out.

Tales from the New Republic- Again set all over place. I can't really recall any of the stories off the top of my head except No Disintegrations, Please which has Boba Fett storm a Imperial base in search of his target, I hate the term 'bad-rear end' but that story really is bad-rear end.

Shadows of the Empire - Set between ESB and RoTJ , a guilty pleasure of mine.

Tales from Jabba's Palace- Set during Return of the Jedi, focus's on minor characters in Jabba's palace. Fun to read to see all the stories interact with each other. I don't recall any bad ones from here except the one about Boba Fett trapped in the Sarlacc and getting taunted by some Jedi ghost thing

The X-Wing books. Meh, maybe it was just because I had just come off reading the Dark Nest book but I coulddn't get through Wedge's Gamble It wasn't bad, I just had overloaded myself with Star Wars books.

◦The Thrawn Trilogy- Set a few years after RoTJ , introduces Grand Admiral Thrawn, some consider it the "sequal trilogy". Required reading if your a Star Wars fan.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 5, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Bombadilillo posted:

Pretend the EU stopped right after the NJO. You're welcome.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

quote:

Side Trip in which Hal and Corran Horn, some smugglers, and Admiral Thrawn team up to take down underworld boss Zekka Thyne, worth it for seeing Thrawn's plan work out.

Which is actually one of the handful of times Thrawn gets down and dirty. Always struck me as odd until I read Outbound Flight where he pointed out to Cardas that as a warrior-leader he, well, should be ready to lead his warriors.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pretend the EU stopped right after the NJO. You're welcome.

To be fair, Dark Nest is definitely the latest low point. That's not to say that Legacy and Fate are good series, just that they're not quite as bad.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Torael_7 posted:

To be fair, Dark Nest is definitely the latest low point. That's not to say that Legacy and Fate are good series, just that they're not quite as bad.

But Dark Nest doesn't hurt the EU the way LOTF did. That series has made a number of irreversible events that has left the established character pool smaller, and was demonstrably gimmicky and poorly thought-out, with Denning admitting on TFN forums that the entire series was planned on a "what if Jacen......" without any kind of critical thinking as to whether it'd be a believable character progression or if it'd make for a good, 9-part story (it wasn't, and it didn't).

Dark Nest you can literally ignore. LOTF you have to read and it hurt all the way through. Ok that's not strictly true: it started out promising and then progressively the bad feeling built in the pit of my stomach. At least FOTJ hasn't disappointed me - ,mainly because I entered it with rock-bottom expectations.

Yep, still bitter.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
If you thought Betrayal was "promising" I have multiple bridges to sell you.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

DougieFFC posted:

Dark Nest you can literally ignore. LOTF you have to read and it hurt all the way through. Ok that's not strictly true: it started out promising and then progressively the bad feeling built in the pit of my stomach. At least FOTJ hasn't disappointed me - ,mainly because I entered it with rock-bottom expectations.

Yep, still bitter.

Good point.

:negative:

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Nckdictator posted:

Medstar I and II - Imagine MASH in space. Pretty good and ties in to Shadow Hunter and the Coruscant Nights books.

I haven't read any Star Wars books newer than the one where chewie died but I just bought Medstar I due to your recommendation, I hope this isn't a trick. :ohdear:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Markoff Chaney posted:

I haven't read any Star Wars books newer than the one where chewie died but I just bought Medstar I due to your recommendation, I hope this isn't a trick. :ohdear:

Granted it's been a few years since I read it but I recall it was pretty good. Let me know what you think of it!

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 5, 2011

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Apparently the new X-Wing book will be called X-Wing: Mercy Kill, will be set around the end of Fate of The Jedi (44+ ABY) and will star Wraith Squadron. Release is Summer 2012.

Also, I recently went on vacation and shotgunned FOTJ: Vortex and FOTJ: Conviction. One sucked and one didn't. Look up the authors and guess which is which.

I rode the new Star Tours at Disney World enough times to get all the possible locations except for Coruscant. It was awesome.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
65 year old geriatric Face asks 62 year old Kell to "Mercy Kill" him because he's suffering bouts of dementia and dying of nano-inoperable cancer.

The other joke I came up with was "Mercy Kill" the entire goddamn franchise. gently caress.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
65 in Star Wars years is like 45 in real world years. It's not that bad.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
65 isn't that old in real world years.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

65 in Star Wars years is like 45 in real world years. It's not that bad.

No, gently caress this whole concept. We're gonna arbitrarily move the "current setting" forward by years THEN PRETEND TIME PASSING DOESN'T MATTER.

Faerunner posted:

65 isn't that old in real world years.

For a bunch of commandos, yeah it is.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

arioch posted:

For a bunch of commandos, yeah it is.

Not if Wraith Squadron is now manned exclusively by ninja-astromechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Just started Deception. It has been okay for the most part, but I guess it is harder to connect with characters you haven't had a great introduction to. To really "get" Malgus is easier if you've watched the three TOR trailers which ironically were released in reverse-order as far as timeframe goes.