Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

FCKGW posted:

Commonly referred to at the Netflix effect

Makes sense. I think the last time I lived in America, Netflix was just starting its mail delivery crap though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ZorbaTHut posted:

What are the most comfortable socks?

Seriously, I'm tired of socks. I buy some in stores, half the time I end up not liking them. If I like them, they develop holes. I go back to the store and can't find the same type. Now I have something like ten different varieties of socks.

I want some buy some drat socks online. I want them to be comfy and padded but not too warm. Black is fine, earth tones are better. Then, once I've worn them out, I want to buy more of the same socks so I no longer have mismatched socks everywhere.

Do you love your socks? Tell me about your socks. I must know about your socks.

I wear OmniWool socks year-round. They're very good at wicking moisture and heat away in the summer, and they're excellent at keeping my feet warm in the winter. And I honestly can't remember an OmniWool sock ever developing a hole.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

jackpot posted:

How do you pronounce the name Alsuin? I think it's Gaelic, so if it is would it be "Alshwin"?

Not exactly the same but one of the colleges at my university was called Alcuin, and that was 'al-kwin', so maybe 'al-swin'?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

My phone only has a 2gb sd card so I'm trying to use winamps' autofill feature to keep fresh music on it. I have it set to only sync songs that have a few plays within the past 5 months, and I like the songs it's choosing, however because it's so limited in space it's only grabbing artists starting with letters A-C before getting filled up and stopping. Is there a way for my to randomize or shuffle what gets autofilled so that I can have the same filter applied but have access to snippets of my entire music library?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
How common is it for a resort to make you pay for half of the stay at the time of the reservation, and the other half 14 days before your stay?

A friend is having a destination wedding, and I called the recommended resort that they got a discount at, and the guy let me know they were charging my card today for half of the stay. I asked him about it, and he acted like it was completely normal.

I stay in hotels 2-3 times per year, and have never had to prepay for a stay.

Just found it odd.

The resort is in Aspen, Colorado.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've never heard of it but I'm no huge traveller. If you think about it though aspen is a very tiny and very popular destination. Esp depending on when you're going, it'd only make sense for them to do everything they can to prevent rooms from being empty because they were reserved but you didn't show.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That's pretty unusual. I've never had that happen and I travel pretty often. It might have to do with wedding/the discount you got.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Sieg posted:

How common is it for a resort to make you pay for half of the stay at the time of the reservation, and the other half 14 days before your stay?

A friend is having a destination wedding, and I called the recommended resort that they got a discount at, and the guy let me know they were charging my card today for half of the stay. I asked him about it, and he acted like it was completely normal.

I stay in hotels 2-3 times per year, and have never had to prepay for a stay.

Just found it odd.

The resort is in Aspen, Colorado.

It's not at all uncommon for hotels to take a deposit, especially resort hotels. But half the cost of the room is a little unusual, and requiring that you pay a deposit up-front AND pay for the remainder of the stay before you've even checked in is definitely not standard procedure, at least not at the resorts I've stayed in and dealt with.

I would speak to a manager. I've been in enough credit-card-fuckery situations to be wary of anything that seems out of the ordinary, and while it's entirely possible that this is just a weird but legitimate situation, you're also giving this guy your name and credit card information for what sounds like it's a relatively large charge, and I'd hate to see you get there and have the desk clerk say "No, we have no record of your reservation" while the guy you spoke to on the phone runs away with a new plasma TV.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Did some more research on this via Google, and found a lot of people complaining about this resort and others owned by the same company pre-charging for stays.

The $50 per night "discount" I get on the room means I prepay for the stay prior to my visit, and it is non-refundable if I cancel. That wasn't explained to me at all by the person I spoke to. I thought the discount was because a large group of people were going to be staying there for a wedding, not because I was agreeing to a non-refundable prepay rate.

Seems shady to me. I have stayed at other hotels/resorts for weddings and even with a discount never had to prepay.

It isn't that big of a deal, but it still seems very odd.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I remember the Radisson in Philadelphia offering a discounted rate if I paid up front, but it was rather obvious about it and they weren't at all trying to scam me.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Edit: I'm in the wrong place!

LaTex Fetish fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 5, 2011

Cantv
Sep 28, 2009

Fig Newton posted:

...need to work on your body english; you must be projecting, "Hi, I'm here to have a conversation with you, let's talk" when you ought to be projecting, "Hi, I'm here to have a couple words with you and then move on.". Your mistake, I think, is is assuming that your job entails actually, like, conversing with them.

This is pretty helpful. Only in the last 4 years have I really gained any worthwhile communication skills, so I think you are right that what I really lack is control over the conversation itself.

And yeah, this place is on the cusp of fine dining enough to justify me needing to make some warm small talk, it's just capping off that endless wellspring of conversation that's been beyond me.

Tonight I'll attempt to employ all the advice given and work on my body english / body language.

Thanks!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Another thing to say it "I'm going to let you guys go!" implying that you are inconveniencing them by talking so much.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is there an aggregator site that isn't total poo poo? I'm looking for pics, videos and news -- for meaningful communication obviously I come here. I'm so fed up with the loving reposts, meme bullshit and crybabies on Reddit.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 5, 2011

buzz wing wow
Aug 2, 2010
I need ideas for a dress up party - the theme is Fire and Ice. Some obvious ideas are bunnies, Eskimos and devils, but I would like to go as something not as obvious. I was thinking of going as a shower, but I blurted it out at a different party, so now everyone knows that was my idea. Any held is greatly appreciated!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Is there an aggregator site that isn't total poo poo? I'm looking for pics, videos and news -- for meaningful communication obviously I come here. I'm so fed up with the loving reposts, meme bullshit and crybabies on Reddit.

I know this isn't quite what you are looking for, but I've found twitter to be a pretty good aggregator. I follow a couple hundred people that are interesting and end up with tons of good articles and stuff.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

buzz wing wow posted:

I need ideas for a dress up party - the theme is Fire and Ice. Some obvious ideas are bunnies, Eskimos and devils, but I would like to go as something not as obvious. I was thinking of going as a shower, but I blurted it out at a different party, so now everyone knows that was my idea. Any held is greatly appreciated!

Go as yourself. Tell people you're actually the Thing. Offer not to assimilate them if they'll bring you another drink.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

buzz wing wow posted:

Go as Tyrion from Game of Thrones. Amputation may be required.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Go as Pat Benatar.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

buzz wing wow posted:

Popsicle.
The shape is the easiest thing in the world. Anything of a solid color that goes around your body and smoothly over your shoulders with head and arms sticking out. Take a thin piece of plywood or particle board or whatever (as long as it's light), cut a long piece, round the end of it to half a circle, and attach it to the back of your belt. Or maybe the front. :dong: I bet Home Depot would do some/all the cutting for free.
For extra credit, some frost.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 6, 2011

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Teeter posted:

My phone only has a 2gb sd card so I'm trying to use winamps' autofill feature to keep fresh music on it. I have it set to only sync songs that have a few plays within the past 5 months, and I like the songs it's choosing, however because it's so limited in space it's only grabbing artists starting with letters A-C before getting filled up and stopping. Is there a way for my to randomize or shuffle what gets autofilled so that I can have the same filter applied but have access to snippets of my entire music library?

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but, in my opinion, Winamp sucks. Mediamonkey is the supreme media player (and it supports what you ask for), but it costs money. On the other hand, I absolutely think that it's worth the buck, for many fabulous features. I think there's a demo version, too.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
What do you call the accent mark that is like the grave accent mark, but leans to the right instead of to the left?

Thank you.

Eyeball fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 6, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Eyeball posted:

What do you call the accent mark that is like the grave accent mark, but leans to the right instead of to the left?

acute accent.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Eyeball posted:

Thank you.

Accent aigu?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Robin Sparkles posted:

Accent aigu?

I like how you can always tell who studied French as a, er, first second language by asking what that accent is called. :)

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

SnowblindFatal posted:

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but, in my opinion, Winamp sucks. Mediamonkey is the supreme media player (and it supports what you ask for), but it costs money. On the other hand, I absolutely think that it's worth the buck, for many fabulous features. I think there's a demo version, too.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Thanks, I'll look in to it. I believe I've already got the basic version installed; I know I've used it in the past to get album art and tags sorted out in a large batch.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Teeter posted:

Thanks, I'll look in to it. I believe I've already got the basic version installed; I know I've used it in the past to get album art and tags sorted out in a large batch.

If it will put you over the edge, I also endorse the pay version of mediamonkey.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I got a small question, I'm looking for a job right and every phone call so far has the person asking how my job search is going so far. Like, what are they looking for when they ask something like that? Is there something they're looking for me to say that would decrease my chances of getting into the first phrase of their job process?

Thanks.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I got a small question, I'm looking for a job right and every phone call so far has the person asking how my job search is going so far. Like, what are they looking for when they ask something like that? Is there something they're looking for me to say that would decrease my chances of getting into the first phrase of their job process?

Thanks.

I would suppose that they're not looking for anyone that's been out looking for jobs and are 'desperate' now. They're looking for people genuinely interested in the job.

Just feign interest.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Thanks.

Yes, if you have got a job. I assume you have put your details on recruitment websites and out to agencies etc. They keep your CV for a while and if a recruiter thinks your CV matches, they will give you a call. If you have got a job since uploading your CV how are they to know unless they ask?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Like, what are they looking for when they ask something like that? Is there something they're looking for me to say that would decrease my chances of getting into the first phrase of their job process?
Presumably they want to know if you're actively looking for work rather than just sitting on your rear end waiting for people to contact you. They may also just be being friendly. I think the only way you could gently caress that up would be if you start talking poo poo about some other company you interviewed for or something.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
nm

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What is the point of beds? What do they add to the equation over just putting a mattress on the floor? I guess there's the storage space under the bed, and geezers would have an easier time getting into and out of a bed that's high off the ground. Neither of those really explain their prevalence though.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

The Moon Monster posted:

What is the point of beds? What do they add to the equation over just putting a mattress on the floor? I guess there's the storage space under the bed, and geezers would have an easier time getting into and out of a bed that's high off the ground. Neither of those really explain their prevalence though.

I think a big part of it is cultural. In some other countries a mattress on the floor is pretty common, and you can find plenty of evidence of people using a mattress on the floor with no issues online.

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

helopticor posted:

I think a big part of it is cultural. In some other countries a mattress on the floor is pretty common, and you can find plenty of evidence of people using a mattress on the floor with no issues online.

I do this and it works fine. I don't have a lot of money so there really is no reason to bother getting a bed frame that is purely cosmetic.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

helopticor posted:

It's true. Look at this slide-show and recoil in horror:

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/04/where-children-sleep/

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

helopticor posted:

It's pretty common here in Taiwan. I spent a year in one of my apartments without a bed proper. The weirdest part is getting used to being so low to the ground. Also, if your mattress isn't good enough it can be a little more uncomfortable because the floor generally has less give than a bed might.

As for why they even exist, I can only assume they were originally to keep the sleeper and the mattress up off the ground so bugs, vermin, and other poo poo (water, if the place floods a little, for example) can't get them.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I promise I'm not trying to be some sort of internet badass but I don't like bed frames because they make too much noise when you're loving someone. On a complete bed the whole frame shakes and if it's near the wall (which they usually are) it does that annoying rhythmic bump against it. I'm not saying that I get buns all the time but when I do I don't want to wake up my roommates and people in other apartments because I'm chilling on some metal rectangle for no reason. Then again, there are those nice frames that are like a solid block and the mattresses are sunk into them - but even then you're bound to get some sort of noise.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It sounds like it's a European thing that spread to other cultures. Maybe it's another difference between the nobility and the peasants in that the rich could waste money on making their beds high and pretty while the servants sleep on the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Beds tend to keep you away from centipedes, provide a softer sleeping experience -- and especially in hot/humid areas, having the bed off the ground keeps the floor from getting all damp/moldy. It's easier for some people to get up from a bed that's at chair height than ground height, too.