Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

So I just bought a Brother MFC-7860DW based on the glowing reviews in this thread. It prints fine wirelessly, but I can't get it to scan to the PC. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

MECH VITAE is already stupid.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So I just bought a Brother MFC-7860DW based on the glowing reviews in this thread. It prints fine wirelessly, but I can't get it to scan to the PC. Has anyone else run into this problem?

What operating system, are you getting an error message, have you tried from Control Center on the computer or are you pressing the Scan button on the machine? Details!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Have you tried going to Paint and clicking From Scanner from the main drop down menu?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Vitae posted:

What operating system, are you getting an error message, have you tried from Control Center on the computer or are you pressing the Scan button on the machine? Details!

Sorry, more details:

Windows 7 Home Premium, and I'm connected to the printer wirelessly, through my wireless router.

Below is a screenshot of the error message it gives me when I try to scan using the 'scan' button on the unit. It also does the same thing when I use Control Center 4. The LCD on the unit itself will say "check connection" after a while when I try scanning with control center or straight from the unit, but the connection is ok since I can print on it fine.

Steakandchips posted:

Have you tried going to Paint and clicking From Scanner from the main drop down menu?

I tried this, and for some reason it works fine this way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 3, 2011

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I tried this, and for some reason it works fine this way.

Thought so. Basically, stop using the printers lovely bespoke software and use what is built in with Windows (Paint).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I don't install printer drivers/software from the lovely cds that come with them unless there is some awesome whizbang can't live without feature in them (there never is).

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Yup, definitely not a connection issue, it's an issue with the software. You can try a TWAIN reset, from this website (under Step 1 click twain reset).
If that doesn't work try uninstalling and reinstalling the software, make sure there are no firewalls/antivirus/antimalware programs running.
If THAT doesn't work, well, sorry, use something else other then the crappy control center.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Thought so. Basically, stop using the printers lovely bespoke software and use what is built in with Windows (Paint).

Photoshop works too!

Also, the TWAIN reset fixed the original issue, so I'm all set.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 3, 2011

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Does anyone have any experience with refurbished printer toner? Can I expect the same life cycle, quality, ect as I would get with an OEM?

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Sperg Victorious posted:

Does anyone have any experience with refurbished printer toner? Can I expect the same life cycle, quality, ect as I would get with an OEM?

It all depends on who/where you get it from. I've delt with people on a daily basis who complain about their toner not lasting, leaking, spotty, streaky, and every problem you can imagine, and about 90% of the time it's "generic" or "refurb" toner.

Best advice I can give, you get what you pay for.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Sperg Victorious posted:

I tried to use refurbs for a while at work. There were just too many problems, and the time I spent dealing with them wasn't worth what we saved. I got them from Monoprice, but I've seen the same negative feedback on Rosewill stuff too. There are some places that claim to do a better job refilling them, checking parts for wear and tear, and replacing them as needed, but they also cost more.

You're better off getting a new printer with a lower cost per page like the Brother stuff.

The one exception to this is refilling color laser toner yourself. I've gotten the kits from Toner Eagle through Amazon for the Samsung 660 and they work fine. You do have to keep track of how many times you refill each one, and be sure to empty the waster toner compartment every few times. It's a little messy too, but much cheaper.

MrHyde
Dec 17, 2002

Hello, Ladies
A while ago I got my parents a HL-2170W for all their parental printing needs. They've loved it so far but now my mom is complaining that she has to go to the library to make photocopies. What are my options for a B/W Laserjet with a scanner on top? I looked around newegg and it looks like I'm dropping a minimum of a couple hundred dollars to make that happen. Does that sound accurate or am I missing something here?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MrHyde posted:

A while ago I got my parents a HL-2170W for all their parental printing needs. They've loved it so far but now my mom is complaining that she has to go to the library to make photocopies. What are my options for a B/W Laserjet with a scanner on top? I looked around newegg and it looks like I'm dropping a minimum of a couple hundred dollars to make that happen. Does that sound accurate or am I missing something here?

There are plenty of Brother multi-function lasers under $200, pretty much any of them should be good. The newest ones have duplexing, which is pretty sweet.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sperg Victorious posted:

The Amazon ones for the HL-2170W are terrible, avoid.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
A 2270DW firmware update was released recently (get it here). The new update fixes 2 issues:

• Improvement for new toner cartridge detection.
  • Corrects the issue that the print position is misaligned on the back of pages when duplex printing.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I am hoping for a recommendation for a small printer. Small enough to carry around in my backpack. I don't need super high fidelity of printing, probably don't even need color, but being able to get as many pages as possible per dollar of ink would be great. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

gohuskies posted:

I am hoping for a recommendation for a small printer. Small enough to carry around in my backpack. I don't need super high fidelity of printing, probably don't even need color, but being able to get as many pages as possible per dollar of ink would be great. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

Is there another reason besides it's cool? Most mobile printers are aimed at the business/enterpise class of customers meaning it's stupidly expensive. Checking out HP's OfficeJet mobile line found the HP OfficeJet H470 at $180 and a few others around $280. Also, the HP 98 black what the H470 uses is ~6.9c per page which is definitely not cheap.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

gariig posted:

Is there another reason besides it's cool? Most mobile printers are aimed at the business/enterpise class of customers meaning it's stupidly expensive. Checking out HP's OfficeJet mobile line found the HP OfficeJet H470 at $180 and a few others around $280. Also, the HP 98 black what the H470 uses is ~6.9c per page which is definitely not cheap.

It is for business and I expect to be able to expense it. I am working for a consultant and I spend a lot of time on the move, often working out of non-traditional office locations and I am tired of finding a Kinkos or a sympathetic office any time I need to print something. Thanks for the rec, I'll look into the H470 and a few others.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
the brother printer everyone likes is on sale at newegg today ($80). I ordered it and was going to get the drum cartridge, but it appeared to have very poor reviews (though only two on amazon and two on newegg). Has anyone had success with it? Over 4 times the capacity for less than twice the price of the 2600 page toner seemed like a very, very good deal.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Robolizard! posted:

the brother printer everyone likes is on sale at newegg today ($80). I ordered it and was going to get the drum cartridge, but it appeared to have very poor reviews (though only two on amazon and two on newegg). Has anyone had success with it? Over 4 times the capacity for less than twice the price of the 2600 page toner seemed like a very, very good deal.

Just to clarify, the drum is a different consumable part from the toner cartridge, it just happens to last longer before it dies (at least for this printer, some printers use a combination unit).

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 23, 2011

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Robolizard! posted:

Thanks for the heads-up.

I haven't done a drum replacement on these newer models, but there's usually some procedure like holding down a button while the door is open or while turning the printer on. You can keep resetting the drum counter and reusing the original drum like this until the print quality degrades. Most home users aren't going to make it that far since they're usually good for 10k+ pages.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Most home users aren't going to make it that far since they're usually good for 10k+ pages.

Even if you do last the 12,000 pages the drum is also $80. Might as well buy a new printer and get a starter tone for free plus a new unit. I can only imagine replacing drums in $300+ laser printers.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

gariig posted:

Even if you do last the 12,000 pages the drum is also $80. Might as well buy a new printer and get a starter tone for free plus a new unit. I can only imagine replacing drums in $300+ laser printers.

Right, what I was saying is that even though the drum hits the page limit and the printer asks for a new one, you can just reset the counter and keep using the old drum until the print quality degrades.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

For standard home office use, will the Brother DCP7065DN be a pretty good multi-purpose machine? I am pretty jazzed that it has a scanner as well as network capabilities. Having wifi would be nice, but it can connect directly to my home network via cat5, so I should still be able to access it with my laptops anyway.

I am guessing having wifi in your printer is neat if you can't get a cable from it to your router easily, correct?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Just to clarify, the drum is a different consumable part from the toner cartridge, it just happens to last longer before it dies (at least for this printer, some printers use a combination unit).

Oh, my bad

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
I've just been given an HP Laserjet 5N (roughly 143000 pages have been printed) the motor sounds fine, but it needs a part called the fuser coupling gear to get it working correctly. The fuser coupling is about $25 for the part and an installation video, which I kinda need since the gear is in the deep interior of the workings. I suppose I could get just the part for $5 and hope to find some good instructions elsewhere, but I haven't had much luck with that.

The fuser itself looks like it has seen better days as well. The roller has these wavy ripple things on it, which other places online say is a bad sign, but I don't know if that means the print quality will be reduced or if it will fail catastrophically. I don't need fancy, I just need this thing to print text and maybe some simple diagrams for school.

Do you all think this thing is worth fixing? I don't mind spending $25 for a gear, but the fuser is around $120 and with that I could maybe buy a cheap-rear end new printer. Despite the printer being "built like a tank" I don't want to have to throw money at this just to have more things fail.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Goon favorite Brother 2270 is on sale at Staples for $99.99:
http://www.staples.com/Brother-HL-2270DW-Mono-Laser-Printer/product_887222
TN420 cart is $47.

My mother has a Canon MP210 which is failing to grab and pull the paper in. I suppose this means a roller cleaning is in order? I've never done that before, how should I proceed?

I have lent my working MP210 to my parents while I try to repair both their printers. My dad's MP780 started printing white lines when printing black only, not an issue when printing color. I've tried swabbing the print head with 91% isopropyl alcohol, running the nozzles under hot water, and even letting the head soak overnight in the alcohol and rinsing off with hot water (followed by dabbing dry with tissue paper and a blast from a hair dryer).

Still printing white lines. I can get a head cleaning kit on eBay for $12 shipped. If that fails I can get a (used) replacement head for $49 shipped. Those together are quite cheaper (less than half) than a new laser printer and toner cart. My dad does print fairly regularly (almost every day) so I'm a bit surprised. This problem began after he put in a new black only ink tank. Tried another one, same problem.

Is there anything else I should check? This printer is a few years old and honestly my dad mainly needs a printer. He does no faxing and rarely scans/copies. I suspect he'd like to be able to print color when needed but he could probably use my mom's/my printer, or his iP1500 (if it prints on regular paper?) for color jobs. He only uses the iP1500 for photos.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Lovie Unsmith posted:

My mother has a Canon MP210 which is failing to grab and pull the paper in. I suppose this means a roller cleaning is in order? I've never done that before, how should I proceed?

Pickup rollers are usually pretty easy to clean with a cotton swab and alcohol. Some of them in bigger laserjets are round and can be flipped inside out to last a bit longer.

gently caress inkjets. The nozzles are clogged and so small that nothing short of extreme pressure is going to clear them. That's how the cleaning cycles work. Did your dad get a generic ink cartridge? Sometimes they have poorer quality ink with chunks that clog things up. I'd go for the head replacement. Or better yet, get him a cheap laser printer like that Brother and directions to the near photo printing kiosk.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He only buys genuine article ink, same as me. At this point I'm tempted to boil up a kettle of water at this point and pour it through. I'll probably go with the cleaning kit first since that's cheap, if that doesn't work I'll have to ask him what he wants to do next - new head, or new printer?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I have spent about a week googling for an ideal printer but the review sites out there are horrible. One says "Great print quality, expensive toner" next one will review the product and say "Poor print quality, lowest cost per page". :argh:

So here's what I am looking for:
- color laser
- duplexing
- great color quality (vector art / power point printing)
- very low cost per page and decent amount of toner included in starter kit
- don't care about b/w quality
- don't care about print speed
- don't care about connectivity- USB or ethernet are fine
- don't care about appearance / size / weight
- price: less than $500

My favorite so far is the Samsung CLP-770ND but at $600 from thenerds.com it's still about $100 too much.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I have a Samsung CLP-660ND at work that hasn't given me any problems yet, maybe 10-20k pages so far. Started using refill toner from Toner Eagle on Amazon about 6 months ago, definitely the cheapest way to do large amounts of color printing.

Personally, I'd go with Brother over Samsung based on my experience with their B&W models. The OEM toner is cheaper too if you don't want to mess with refilling cartridges.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Cross_ posted:

I have spent about a week googling for an ideal printer but the review sites out there are horrible. One says "Great print quality, expensive toner" next one will review the product and say "Poor print quality, lowest cost per page". :argh:

So here's what I am looking for:
- color laser
- duplexing
- great color quality (vector art / power point printing)
- very low cost per page and decent amount of toner included in starter kit
- don't care about b/w quality
- don't care about print speed
- don't care about connectivity- USB or ethernet are fine
- don't care about appearance / size / weight
- price: less than $500

My favorite so far is the Samsung CLP-770ND but at $600 from thenerds.com it's still about $100 too much.

Brother HL-4150CDN
http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/modeldetail.aspx?ProductID=HL4150CDN

BizzyLimpkits
May 20, 2001

Who's that coming down the track...

I'm basically looking for the same thing but with a scanner included.

Is this a good option?

Brother MFC-9120CN

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

BizzyLimpkits posted:

I'm basically looking for the same thing but with a scanner included.

Is this a good option?

Brother MFC-9120CN

The 9120 is ok, though it uses LED instead of Laser, I would recommend the MFC9460CDN, yeah, it's a bit more expensive, but overall it's better built and has better print quality and handling then the 9120, the 9460 is also much faster.

Not that there's anything wrong with the 9120CN, in fact I've used this machine at my desk for a little over a year and it does well, prints nicely, overall a great machine, just letting you know of the "new hotness" so to speak.

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=MFC9460CDN

You can get a great comparison of features between the MFC-9460CDN and the MFC-9120CN via this page:

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/CompareList.aspx?ModelList=MFC9460CDN,MFC9120CN&tab=full

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations. There were too many complaints about color quality with the Brother HL-4150CDN on amazon, so I went with a Dell 3130cn. Let's see how that goes.

BizzyLimpkits
May 20, 2001

Who's that coming down the track...

Vitae posted:

The 9120 is ok, though it uses LED instead of Laser, I would recommend the MFC9460CDN, yeah, it's a bit more expensive, but overall it's better built and has better print quality and handling then the 9120, the 9460 is also much faster.

Not that there's anything wrong with the 9120CN, in fact I've used this machine at my desk for a little over a year and it does well, prints nicely, overall a great machine, just letting you know of the "new hotness" so to speak.

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=MFC9460CDN

You can get a great comparison of features between the MFC-9460CDN and the MFC-9120CN via this page:

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/CompareList.aspx?ModelList=MFC9460CDN,MFC9120CN&tab=full

Great, thanks!

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking at getting a Brother HL-5370DW for a very small (8 person) office that needs basic B&W printing. They don't need any MFC features but do need a non-lovely paper tray size and toner life. This is more or less a set-and-forget environment - it needs to be robust and can't have any troubleshooting more complicated than power cycling. Is this a decent model?

Edit: Also looking at the HP LaserJet P2055dn. How does that compare to the Brother? I know LaserJets of old are basically indestructible, what about modern ones?

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 21, 2011

Themes
Feb 9, 2005
I've been looking at buying a laser printer for my mother for a while now, she suddenly decided that she wants to be able to scan as well so I've been looking at some multifunctions.

Currently eying up Brother MFC-7360N or DCP7065DN, the 7360N is only $10-20 more expensive with a rebate right now, does anyone have any experience with either of these or can they recommend something else.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Themes posted:

I've been looking at buying a laser printer for my mother for a while now, she suddenly decided that she wants to be able to scan as well so I've been looking at some multifunctions.

Currently eying up Brother MFC-7360N or DCP7065DN, the 7360N is only $10-20 more expensive with a rebate right now, does anyone have any experience with either of these or can they recommend something else.

I'd actually recommend the DCP-7065DN over the 7360N unless you're dead set on having a fax machine.
If you absolutely need a fax then you'll want the MFC-7360N, otherwise the DCP-7065DN has the automatic duplex print feature, which is a setup above the 7360N.
You can view a full feature comparison list here:
http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/CompareList.aspx?ModelList=MFC7360N,DCP7065DN#.To8QSt5T95A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
My super-cheap Dell 1110 has finally given up the ghost and so now I'm in the market for a new printer. Just in time too as I've got tons of things to print for my upcoming wedding. I'm looking for colour, can print on card stock, and can print on paper as small as 3x5. Cheaper is of course better (yay weddings), and even though my fiancee seems to think that inkjet is best, I'm pretty sure laser's my best bet here since I don't care about printing photos.

I just don't even know where to begin.

• Locked thread