Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Farbtoner posted:

The nuclear power I got the exact opposite, Gard was so ridiculously over-the-top in the way that he believed literally anything about nuclear power being bad (while at the same time being completely ignorant of the most basic mechanics of it all, like thinking that nuclear waste could reach critical mass) that I never took his rants as being King's own thoughts. They were just a crazy, out-of-control guy channeling his rage and insanity into a pet cause regardless of logic or science supporting it.

That was kind of how a lot of people were back then. Nuclear power, ideas of what gay people are like, etc. All of that can really, really date a piece of media.

Stephen King himself has also never really been a dude to do research when he doesn't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Locus posted:

That was kind of how a lot of people were back then. Nuclear power, ideas of what gay people are like, etc. All of that can really, really date a piece of media.

Between Gard being violently anti-nuke and the crazy anti-abortion people in Insomnia, King seems really good at capturing the sort of mindless frenzy that can consume people when an issue lets them channel their latent psychosis into a socially-acceptable outlet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

King is great at caricatures in general. His fanatics are usually very well done!

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Oldstench posted:

So...I read The Shining and The Stand 10-ish years ago and enjoyed them, but this thread is making me think that nothing SK has written is worth a poo poo. Are there any books of his that are worth reading?

Over the last 15 years, SK has single handedly provided me with far more entertainment than any other website, writer, tv series or any other form of popular media. Some of his stuff is maddening and disappointing, but his body of work is so prodigious that it's worth it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Locus posted:

Stephen King himself has also never really been a dude to do research when he doesn't want to.

But when he does do research, he goes balls out. I love the story on the research for Dolan's Cadillac.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

But when he does do research, he goes balls out. I love the story on the research for Dolan's Cadillac.

Dolan's Caddilac is an amazing story!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ConfusedUs posted:

Dolan's Caddilac is an amazing story!

Oh completely. I mean, all of his short story collections are fantastic, but Nightmares & Dreamscapes is easily top 3.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ensign_Ricky posted:

But when he does get someone to do his research, he goes balls out. I love the story on his brother's research for Dolan's Cadillac.
Fixed. :v:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And then you have things like the stenomask in Bag of Bones, where King learned about something and then twisted the entire ending of the novel around it because he thought it looked cool.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

NihilCredo posted:

Fixed. :v:

Point taken.;) But the point is, he did contact an expert, and then had to tweak things to make sure no one could actually use the story as a blueprint for murder.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Wait... There are people that don't like 'Salem's Lot? Who are these broken individuals?

I'm not crazy about it. Too much chatty nonsense 70's colloquialisms and other meandering bits of dialog that don't go anywhere and aren't that interesting. I also found the Ben character to be annoyingly dull. It could be that I read Salem's Lot after many of King's other books and I thought his other writer characters were more fleshed out.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I just finished it, and while I didn't hate it I didn't really like it either.

If he'd cut 90% of the meandering writing about people who were just going to be turned into vampires better he'd have had a pretty decent book.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Board games are the new comics? Can't wait to see who they cast as the Monopoly guy. :allears:

The only possible answer to this question is Richard Dreyfuss.

Just finished Cujo and I'm wondering where to go next. May do Pet Semetary, though I seem to remember starting it at one point. I remember something about a jogger being hit by a car and begging to be taken to the cemetary. The rest is fuzzy after that.

Also, I really enjoyed "Full Dark, No Stars." Aside from the incredibly sexy title, it felt like old King in a lot of ways. "A Good Marriage" and "1922" actually creeped me out, a bit. "Big Driver" was relatively harmless fun, while "Fair Extension" had kind of a "Tales from the Darkside" (only darker) quality to it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Evfedu posted:

I just finished it, and while I didn't hate it I didn't really like it either.

If he'd cut 90% of the meandering writing about people who were just going to be turned into vampires better he'd have had a pretty decent book.

Yeah if he took that out you'd have the shittiest vampire novel ever written. That setup was a large part of what made the book work. Here's small-town Maine. Here's what happens to small-town Maine when a powerful vampire moves in next door. It's...the whole point of the book, really.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Stephen King's main strength is characterization and by the same token, when he writes about communities, I always find it a high point because of this.

Salem's Lot without that, well it wouldn't be Stephen King, and it would not be an improvement at all.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
I agree. The creepiest thing in Salems Lot weren't the vampires but how quickly a town just died. When Ben and the kid are the only ones left it's eerie as gently caress.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the best thing about King is you can find all of his novels for $1. I went around to all the 2nd hand book stores, junk shops etc and I found 18 King novels (including Full Dark) all ranging from 20 cents to $2. If you count doubles then it would have been 35+

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

bowmore posted:

I think the best thing about King is you can find all of his novels for $1. I went around to all the 2nd hand book stores, junk shops etc and I found 18 King novels (including Full Dark) all ranging from 20 cents to $2. If you count doubles then it would have been 35+

Inversely the second hand stores wont take my Stephen King because they say they are too saturated with his books and wont give me credit if they don't think they can sell it fast enough.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ridonkulous posted:

Inversely the second hand stores wont take my Stephen King because they say they are too saturated with his books and wont give me credit if they don't think they can sell it fast enough.
You should just put them in random peoples mail boxes. That's what I do with the books I don't think I can sell.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

bowmore posted:

You should just put them in random peoples mail boxes. That's what I do with the books I don't think I can sell.

A charity shop down the road from me has a dumpbin full of books they sell for $1, sitting outside the door, on the street. I'm thinking of taking a bunch of books I don't want (and couldn't be hosed selling), and just putting them in the dumpbin. Everyone wins: I get more room on my shelves, the charity store makes more money, and random people can buy these books for a measely dollar.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hedrigall posted:

A charity shop down the road from me has a dumpbin full of books they sell for $1, sitting outside the door, on the street. I'm thinking of taking a bunch of books I don't want (and couldn't be hosed selling), and just putting them in the dumpbin. Everyone wins: I get more room on my shelves, the charity store makes more money, and random people can buy these books for a measely dollar.
That's a good idea. Win-win situation. (Plus it's like your donating to charity)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

bowmore posted:

The local Humane Society has book sales several times a year. Everything's a quarter each. I buy a big boxful, read them and donate most of them back.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
I've read a good few of them. But recently I tried reading Liseys Story, I just couldn't get into it. Got over halfway through just nothing really happened. I might try it again, but I'm not in any rush to.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Kingdom posted:

The local Humane Society has book sales several times a year. Everything's a quarter each. I buy a big boxful, read them and donate most of them back.
Your a good person.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Migeman posted:

I've read a good few of them. But recently I tried reading Liseys Story, I just couldn't get into it. Got over halfway through just nothing really happened. I might try it again, but I'm not in any rush to.

Don't bother. It doesn't get any better.

Try something good, like one of his short story compilations (Night Shift, Nightmares and Dreamscapes) or Pet Semetary, IT, The Stand...christ, anything but Lisey's Story.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Yeah if he took that out you'd have the shittiest vampire novel ever written. That setup was a large part of what made the book work. Here's small-town Maine. Here's what happens to small-town Maine when a powerful vampire moves in next door. It's...the whole point of the book, really.

It's not so much the small town interaction that detracts but it's a few of the weak characterizations and rather banal dialog.

What I have noticed after re-reading Salem's Lot is that King seems like he's still experimenting with his style. He doesn't go heavy into the character's twisted subconscious inner monologues like he does in the 80's which also took his work to new heights. Maybe it was his rampant drug/alcohol use that made him fire on all cylinders like that but I view it as one of his most productive and entertaining periods. Salem's Lot is the prototype.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
I liked Lisey's Story.
It reminded me of Gerald's Game in that it was for the most part just a strong-ish females thoughts.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ridonkulous posted:

I liked Lisey's Story.
It reminded me of Gerald's Game in that it was for the most part just a strong-ish females thoughts.

This right here. I appreciate the balance he strikes in trying to write a believable female character. Big Driver and A Good Marriage from Full Dark were good for the same reasons.

paigeturner
Jul 15, 2011
I am a huge Stephen King fan, but I just couldn't get through Lisey's Story. Maybe it gets better at the end? I think I'll just stick to Salem's Lot

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

This right here. I appreciate the balance he strikes in trying to write a believable female character. Big Driver and A Good Marriage from Full Dark were good for the same reasons.

I find it a bit dull overall but Dolores Claiborne of . . well, guess, is a very well rounded character.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lisey's Story and The Colorado Kid are the only Stephen King stories i couldn't finish.

One of my favorites that isn't mentioned much here is The Long Walk. King is at his best when writing in people's heads, and that's what the majority of that relatively short novel is.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Darko posted:

Lisey's Story and The Colorado Kid are the only Stephen King stories i couldn't finish.

One of my favorites that isn't mentioned much here is The Long Walk. King is at his best when writing in people's heads, and that's what the majority of that relatively short novel is.

Pretty much anywhere you put down the Colorado Kid is as good a spot to be done with it as the actual end of the book. I thought it was an interesting book but the non-ending "no one will ever know what happened or how it did" seemed almost like King trolling people who say his endings suck or are anti-climactic.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Has anyone seen the filmed version of "Lunch at the Gotham Cafe"?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Has anyone seen the filmed version of "Lunch at the Gotham Cafe"?

No, it seems obscure. Hope it surfaces and is awesome. It's not his best story but the maitre'd is weird and amusing as gently caress
http://www.bevvincent.com/gotham.html

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If I've learned anything from reading every Stephen King book and story, it's that city life isn't perfect, but the city is the safest of all possible places, and that you should always try to be around as many people as you can.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

ZoDiAC_ posted:

No, it seems obscure. Hope it surfaces and is awesome. It's not his best story but the maitre'd is weird and amusing as gently caress
http://www.bevvincent.com/gotham.html

I have the audiobook version and it's not bad.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Just read UR today. I'd heard that it was "oooooh... a haunted Kindle..." story, made exclusively for Kindles.
It's not, really, it's top class short story King. The characterization and dialogue is all great, and while there is definitely a thing that is strange about the Kindle in the story, it ties it with his universe really well.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

If I've learned anything from reading every Stephen King book and story, it's that city life isn't perfect, but the city is the safest of all possible places, and that you should always try to be around as many people as you can.

Yeah, but it won't stop the monster/villain from showing up anyway, e.g. It in the library scene.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008

Octy posted:

Yeah, but it won't stop the monster/villain from showing up anyway, e.g. It in the library scene.

Or if there's a flu bug going around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Malaleb posted:

Or if there's a flu bug going around.

Eh, those guys in Night Surf didn't do too well.