Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Queej posted:

*Ser Barristan - Is he the new Ned Stark? Ned seemed to be the last good man. He was honorable and self-less in an honor-less and selfish time. Will these qualities be Barristan's fall?

I think this is an interesting parallel. Both are nearly completely honorable men who managed to survive and even prosper by staying the gently caress out of drama and politics. But finally honor ended up driving both of them into the midst of it. I hope it turns out better for Barristan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

oogyboogs posted:

Well, in the AFFC chapter called The Reaver, Victarion and Euron are talking in that room and Euron says:
"When I was a boy, I dreamt I could fly, but when I awoke, I couldn't... or so the maester said."

It kind of seems similar to what Bran went through with his vision of the three eyed crow. I think that Euron had a similar type experience. Then in the Sam chapter, when they are sailing past the wreckage of Euron's fleet, they see this symbol:

"The charge was one Sam had never seen before: a red eye with a black pupil, beneath a black iron crown supported by two crows."

It kind of reminded me of Bloodraven and his red eye. They also call him Crow's Eye a bunch. I feel like the crow thing has to do with Bloodraven being in the Night's Watch. I thought that it meant that he is the Crow's eye-as in, he is Brynden's eyes in Westeros and Valyria.

That's very interesting. I feel Euron is the most mysterious important character at this point, now that Melisandre is explained. I've had a suspicion that wargs and possibly other sorcerer-types become more powerful after sacrificing something, such as Bloodraven's eye and Bran's legs. As far as I'm concerned the mystery I'm most interested in is what's up with this "smiling eye" business. He has surrounded himself with sorcery.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Making Bloodraven important is kind of obnoxious for the 90% of us who haven't read the short stories. Making him more important would be even more obnoxious. His role is fine now, but it shouldn't be expanded. If it is, he becomes a guy we hadn't heard about at all until the 5th book who is suddenly a major player, and I feel like we're expected to know who he is despite him being an entirely side story character.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 5, 2011

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

oogyboogs posted:

Well, in the AFFC chapter called The Reaver, Victarion and Euron are talking in that room and Euron says:
"When I was a boy, I dreamt I could fly, but when I awoke, I couldn't... or so the maester said."

It kind of seems similar to what Bran went through with his vision of the three eyed crow. I think that Euron had a similar type experience. Then in the Sam chapter, when they are sailing past the wreckage of Euron's fleet, they see this symbol:

"The charge was one Sam had never seen before: a red eye with a black pupil, beneath a black iron crown supported by two crows."

It kind of reminded me of Bloodraven and his red eye. They also call him Crow's Eye a bunch. I feel like the crow thing has to do with Bloodraven being in the Night's Watch. I thought that it meant that he is the Crow's eye-as in, he is Brynden's eyes in Westeros and Valyria.

Have we ever seen what's behind Euron's eyepatch? I had a crazy thought that he's got some weirwood growing out of the hollow eyesocket, just like Bloodraven. That gives him a constant connection to the Old God Superhighway, which is quite useful for a pirate.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Making Bloodraven important is kind of obnoxious for the 90% of us who haven't read the short stories. Making him more important would be even more obnoxious. His role is fine now, but it shouldn't be expanded. If it is, he becomes a guy we hadn't heard about at all until the 5th book who is suddenly a major player.

You mean like Aegon?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I read the short stories because of Bloodraven and they're actually pretty good.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

whowhatwhere posted:

You mean like Aegon?

Aegon might not even be Aegon, and nor was he a character in side stories. His entire arc is self-contained within the ASoIaF.

Bloodraven is definitely Bloodraven, but I don't care to read a bunch of graphic novels to understand the main plot either.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
While there are now some comics, they started off as actual short stories, and as Brannock said, they're quite good. It seems that when GRRM is constrained on length, he writes much tighter stories. I'd say they'd even be worth reading if they weren't connected to the main series.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009

Calef posted:

That's very interesting. I feel Euron is the most mysterious important character at this point, now that Melisandre is explained. I've had a suspicion that wargs and possibly other sorcerer-types become more powerful after sacrificing something, such as Bloodraven's eye and Bran's legs. As far as I'm concerned the mystery I'm most interested in is what's up with this "smiling eye" business. He has surrounded himself with sorcery.

Yeah, in AFFC it says that magic is fueled by blood, which makes sense in the context of the whole series. But then, the only way to gain magic is to sacrifice and kill more people. I think the the Doom of Valyria is related to that. I think that's why the maesters are anti- magic. It doesn't fit in with their world of power through technology and education.

Maraak posted:

Have we ever seen what's behind Euron's eyepatch? I had a crazy thought that he's got some weirwood growing out of the hollow eyesocket, just like Bloodraven. That gives him a constant connection to the Old God Superhighway, which is quite useful for a pirate.

They never showed it or even hinted to it. I think that he's got something sick under there though.

oogyboogs fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 5, 2011

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

kanonvandekempen posted:

Tyrion being the administrator of the royal drains is an official title of Edmund the Black Adder in the first season (this one is probably a little far fetched, although there are some similarities in how the two characters are treated by their fathers. Edmund also kills his father.)

The drains is a double reference. Miles Vorkosigan got assigned to clear a base's drains as a punishment detail in... The Vor Game. Miles is, like Tyrion, born effectively a dwarf. Miles' damage wasn't genetic, rather a result of prenatal exposure to a military poison.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

whowhatwhere posted:

^^^^^
the "bed not seeing much use since stannis left" bit means either that they were sleeping together or that he was over at her place a lot and crashed there while she stayed up. The more crucial bit is that she seems to require semen to create the shadow creatures. Remember her offer to Davos, because the king had become too weak or something? (haven't read that bit in ages).

I don't think he should be judged, necessarily. Remember her powders for every occasion? There was something about a power for lust, I think. Quite possible that after the first few times, and Stannis's subsequent rationalizations that it's not illegal for Kings to have mistresses, and it's certainly not anything worse than he's already done (kinslaying).

It is a matter of interpretation. A more "innocent" interpretation could be that she stays up all night staring into the fires looking for news or signs of Stannis' campaign rather than sleeping. However, as you said it was more than strongly suggested that they slept together in order to create the shadow that killed Renly.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Making Bloodraven important is kind of obnoxious for the 90% of us who haven't read the short stories. Making him more important would be even more obnoxious. His role is fine now, but it shouldn't be expanded. If it is, he becomes a guy we hadn't heard about at all until the 5th book who is suddenly a major player, and I feel like we're expected to know who he is despite him being an entirely side story character.
It sounds like you're upset that some other readers know more about a character than you do. There's a really quick and easy way to fix that: Go read the short stories.

Not only will you learn more about this Bloodraven fellow, they're actually good stories. They're everything the last two books haven't been. Concisely written tales with a beginning, middle and end.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Thoguh posted:

I think that's what GRRM was going for though. We all wished the worst on Theon after what he did in the earlier books. But then the worst actually happened, and its creepy as gently caress and makes us question the hatred we held for him after what he did to Winterfell.

He betrays the northmen, kills civilians and children, betrays the ironborn at Moat Cailin, kills innocent children and helps Ramsay in his rape of Jeyne all because he's a spineless, jealous, worthless human being.

gently caress Theon.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

REEK IT RHYMES WITH FREAK

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

He betrays the northmen, kills civilians and children, betrays the ironborn at Moat Cailin, kills innocent children and helps Ramsay in his rape of Jeyne all because he's a spineless, jealous, worthless human being.

gently caress Theon.

I think there's a position where you can acknowledge that Theon is scummy without saying he deserves the Dreadfort. poo poo, no one deserves the Dreadfort. Flaying is not justice.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Caufman posted:

I think there's a position where you can acknowledge that Theon is scummy without saying he deserves the Dreadfort. poo poo, no one deserves the Dreadfort. Flaying is not justice.

I can also take the position that fleeing with a rescued hostage from within a surrounded castle does not redeem him as a character.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

Unoriginal Name posted:

I can also take the position that fleeing with a rescued hostage from within a surrounded castle does not redeem him as a character.

No, it doesn't, since it's fault poo poo ended up like that in the first place. Though you have to wonder what would have happened to Bran or Rickon had Theon not sent them off.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

mllaneza posted:

The drains is a double reference. Miles Vorkosigan got assigned to clear a base's drains as a punishment detail in... The Vor Game. Miles is, like Tyrion, born effectively a dwarf. Miles' damage wasn't genetic, rather a result of prenatal exposure to a military poison.

Tyrion is, basically, Miles with lovely parents (well, a lovely parent) instead of good ones. Which is why he's both awesome and scary.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Mr.Brinks posted:

Though you have to wonder what would have happened to Bran or Rickon had Theon not sent them off.

Ramsay would have gotten them which would have been good times for all involved, surely.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
You can't blame Theon for obeying Ramsay now though. He's been mentally and physically broken and I'm pretty sure anyone would do the same in his position now.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Yeah, after being so thoroughly broken to Ramsay's will I think he gets a pass. I also don't think it's very fair to call him a turncloak. He was hostage to his father's good behaviour then when that father rebelled he went along with it. Is he supposed to fight against his family and people? Wouldn't that be worse?

His real contemptible weakness showed itself in trying to hold Winterfell and the child killing that arose from that.

whowhatwhere posted:

Could you elaborate on that one? I've never heard about any connection between the two before.

oogyboogs posted:

IIRC it is a bit more obvious, I'm sure Euron actually mentions the "three-eyed crow".

Spergchat: America doesn't use/considers archaic the word fortnight? Who knew

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Mr.Brinks posted:

REEK IT RHYMES WITH FREAK

Reek, it rhymes with FORT FREAK: A WILD CARDStm "NOVEL" (Edited by George R.R. Martin)

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Reek, it rhymes with FORT FREAK: A WILD CARDStm "NOVEL" (Edited by George R.R. Martin)

Beat me to it, rear end in a top hat.

I'm not sure that Theon's childkilling is even looked down upon at all un the books, lords get away with that poo poo all the time and nobody gives a gently caress. At least Roose "Michael" Bolton doesn't.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, the problem people have with it in the books is that they think it was Bran and Rickon Stark, rather than "two random children he killed to keep himself from looking foolish".

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Yeah, who remembers when Cersei, Robert, Tywin, Jamie, Stannis, Melisandre, Littlefinger, Victarion and possibly Manderly killed, ordered killed, tried to kill, or advocated killing children?

E: Also ~Darkstar~!

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

The first thing Ned does is execute a terrified dehydrated dude.

Jon beheads a guy partially out of revenge and partially to make a point.

Barristan breaks into a king's chambers and murders the king's personal guard who was just trying to do his job.

Tyrion strangles a hooker for telling lies which did not actually put him any worse off than he already was.

Bran mindrapes a mentally handicapped man.

Arya murders several people on loose pretenses.

There are no good guys in this book series. I think discussions about whether Theon can be redeemed are based on a false premise, namely that the author and/or the universe thinks redemption is a meaningful concept. Likewise the question of whether he deserves what he got. No one deserves what Theon got. No character in this story has deserved anything that has happened to them. The universe isn't fair. At least the real world is just ambivalent, this book features a universe where a man is rewarded by divinity for burning alive a boatful of little girls.

Recall what everyone in the TV thread was expecting to happen right up until around episode 8. Ned is gonna take the black and go join Jon on the wall for some ranger adventures! Robb is gonna capture King's Landing! Predictions which probably would have been borne out in any other fantasy series. Who among us predicted that Jon would be assassinated by the Watch in this book? Why do we assume that the "obvious" course of events will follow from this, when the very reason we (secretly) like GURM is that the obvious thing never happens?

I guess I'm weird because I'm similarly annoyed by complaints that Sansa is stupid. She's a fictional character. She's exactly what she needs to be. Make her anything but naive and stupid at the beginning and there's nowhere to grow. If she is protected from the consequences of her actions, there is no drama. Do we want this to be The Sword of Truth?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
Actually I'm pretty sure that Cercei got exactly what she deserved.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Same with Joffrey. What positive thing has that loving brat ever done?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Joffrey cut up a book and threw the pieces at Tyrion which is what everyone should have done to gurm with their copies of Dance.

quote:

Indeed, all Joffrey's courtesy vanished at once when Tyrion presented him with their own gift: a huge old book called A Dance With Dragons, bound in leather and gorgeously illuminated. The king leafed through it with no interest. "And what is this, Uncle?"

"Grand Maester Martin's history of the slavers of the free cities and the sexual escapades of a sixteen year old girl," Sansa's small husband answered.

"A book every king should read, Your Grace," said Ser Kevan.

"My father died before he could read Dance." Joffrey shoved the tome across the table. "If Martin had spent less time writing about football and going to conventions, perhaps we'd have A Dream of Spring by now." He laughed...and when the king laughs, the court laughs with him.

Lord Tywin waited until last to present the king with his own gift: a longsword. King Joffrey looked as if he wanted to kill someone right then and there, he was so excited. "A great sword must have a great name, my lords! What shall I call it?"

The guests were shouting out names for the new blade. Joff dismissed a dozen before he heard one he liked. "Wildcards!" he cried, and then he brought the sword down in a savage two-hand slice on the book that Tyrion had given him. He flicked a chunk of A Dance With Dragons off the table at swordpoint, then slid Wildcards back into its scabbard.

"Your Grace," Ser Garlan Tyrell said. "Perhaps you did not know. In all of Westeros there were but four copies of that book illuminated on Martin's own old rear end computer."

"Now there are three." Joffrey undid his old swordbelt to don his new one. "You and Lady Sansa owe me a better present. This one was dumb as hell."

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 6, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Did you just search and replace A Feast For Crows with A Dance With Dragons from the Bad Thread, or is that All New and Original HumorTM?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

hampig posted:

Did you just search and replace A Feast For Crows with A Dance With Dragons from the Bad Thread, or is that All New and Original HumorTM?

Haha did someone post that for Feast in the bad thread too? No it's as original as stealing lines from the book and dubbing in lines about another book can get.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Calef posted:

The first thing Ned does is execute a terrified dehydrated dude.

Barristan breaks into a king's chambers and murders the king's personal guard who was just trying to do his job.

There are no good guys in this book series.

These are pretty weak examples. Everything we know about Ned and Barristan says that they are good guys. I mean if you consider any killing at all to be equivalent to a "bad guy", then your real gripe is with the medieval fantasy setting more than the characters.

Also even by that standard, there are still some paragons that pass the test, though granted, they're minor characters.

Old Nan never hurt anyone

:colbert:

MondoMedicale
Oct 21, 2008
With this series I honestly feel like you can not predict anything. Maybe nothing in the series will be resolved and the lesson of the books are “life is chaos…don’t expect much cause you’ll just get raped anyway.”

I feel like the whole story is centered on Dany. She is supposed to conquer the Seven Kingdoms so they can be reunited with their heir. My problem – who will inherit? She can’t have kids, so when she dies, the Seven Kingdoms will be back where they are now. The appearance of Aegon is just too convenient. Perhaps Dany will rule but Aegon's kids will inherit? Who knows?

Another thing… I want a clue of who the dragon riders will be. I feel so teased on the issue and I feel like the result will probably be disappointing. Back in CoK…Martin dropped hints that perhaps Jon might be a dragon rider. I got this from when Dany was in Qarth, she saw the “blue flower on the wall”….meaning Jon is Lyanna’s (and probably Rhaegars). – so why write that in when Martin makes it so nothing can come of it? I hope that the two dragon riders are not some bullshit people that no one cares about.

I love the books, but drat it, I would be more shocked if he wrote what was expected and the book had the typical happy ending as opposed to the :psyduck: it is now. Heh - watch this series turn into the book version of "LOST".

MondoMedicale fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 6, 2011

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

lapse posted:

Old Nan never hurt anyone

:colbert:

That old hag tried to scare Bran, that bitch.

This series is filled with terrible people. We root for some and hate others, yet their actions are not so different. Except for the darkest of stars Ser Gerold Dayne, the Sword of the Twilight and a paragon of justice.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

furushotakeru posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure that Cercei got exactly what she deserved.

Does anyone really deserve saggy tits?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Argali posted:

Does anyone really deserve saggy tits?

GRRM does.

Crazedmongoose
Dec 25, 2007

"...oh if only I weren't so fat..."
The way I really see this series is that it seems like it's pulling a "The Wire". In that in the end there will be resolution, but it'll be another state of parity, rather than things coming together neatly and there being anything like the completion of a heroes' journeys or the realm being safe or good winning over the others etc.

It'll just be like:

Here's some people you liked and they ended up doing okay
Here's some people you hated and they ended up doing okay
Here's some people you liked who ended up getting hosed over
Here's some people you hated who ended up getting hosed over
There's no justice
There's no karma
There's no resolution
The world just goes on

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xamphear posted:

It sounds like you're upset that some other readers know more about a character than you do. There's a really quick and easy way to fix that: Go read the short stories.

Not only will you learn more about this Bloodraven fellow, they're actually good stories. They're everything the last two books haven't been. Concisely written tales with a beginning, middle and end.

Really though; the Dunk and Egg tales are 100% canon and are meant to both explore outside the main ASOIAF storyline but also supplement it.

Read them- like others have said, they're good! I also have a feeling that the fate of Duncan and Aegon is going to come up later in the series.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
He's gotta have some sort of real conclusion the the Others storyline, though. That is the big supernatural threat in this series, set up in the prologue of the very first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rootbeer Baron posted:

Joffrey cut up a book and threw the pieces at Tyrion which is what everyone should have done to gurm with their copies of Dance.

Man, these jokes are getting so very old. Even if I disliked the book, it's so big that it can be used as a weapon. And that's a use GRRM never intended.