Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Oh I remember Going Live (wasn't Andi Peters on that as well?) I remember being sad about GL finishing and then L&K was basically the same for a while.

But yeah, you're alone with No 73, want to talk about Button Moon and Muffin the Mule while you're at it?

Edit: I know it's far from a goon-favourite, but I've actually had a couple of laughs from Question of Sport today.

incredible bear fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

incredible bear posted:

Oh I remember Going Live (wasn't Andi Peters on that as well?) I remember being sad about GL finishing and then L&K was basically the same for a while.

But yeah, you're alone with No 73, want to talk about Button Moon and Muffin the Mule while you're at it?

gently caress you, I just recall barely watching Button Moon when I was very young... :argh:

As for Going Live, I don't really remember much about it beyond them showing The Raccoons, having Philip Schofield as a host, and that during the final weeks of it (before Live & Kicking picked up), it was called Going Going, and finally Going Gone, which was neat.

Either way, SM:TV was the king of Saturday morning kids viewing. The BBC equivalent was quite fun (and had a young John Barrowman), but it was like comparing a bowl of Coco Pops to a bowl of just the marshmallow bits from Lucky Charms: one is quite an enjoyable thing to wake up to, the other is guaranteed to be insanely colourful and fun and cause total overexcitement (and possible vomiting) in kids.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 5, 2011

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

incredible bear posted:

Christ I feel old in here right now, where's all the Andi Peters love?

What about the Ghost Train love? Or Motormouth?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
No.73 fans may want to check out YouTube user TheMeakers who would seem to have been an ex-employee of TVS. Lots of nerdy broadcast tech stuff. Also the loving Art Attack pilot!

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

thehustler posted:

No.73 fans may want to check out YouTube user TheMeakers who would seem to have been an ex-employee of TVS. Lots of nerdy broadcast tech stuff. Also the loving Art Attack pilot!
I heard that Neil Buchanan is really into swinging nowadays.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone remember Nick-A-Live? This must have been in the early 90s. During the school holidays, Nickelodeon had live presenters and to my 9-10 year old self it was the bee's knees. But looking back all I can remember is Lamb Chop's Play Along.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Akuma posted:

Does anyone remember Nick-A-Live? This must have been in the early 90s. During the school holidays, Nickelodeon had live presenters and to my 9-10 year old self it was the bee's knees. But looking back all I can remember is Lamb Chop's Play Along.

Didn't Nickelodeon always have live presenters? I seem to remember their oddly-named presenters Mounya and Yiolanda being on Nick for most of the mid-to-late 90s. I'm sure I saw Yiolanda a year or so ago on one of those awful late-night/early morning (massively rigged) game shows where the only contestants are drunks who've just crawled home from the pub.

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe
I remember Simon Amstell being a presenter on Nickelodeon briefly. It looked like he hated every minute.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Anybody remember a children's program on ITV about.. Ten years ago? It featured two wolfs who ate people and two police officers that put a beating on them with batons for no real reason most episodes.

If you can find that name of it I'll be grateful. I think I didn't imagine it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ChuckDHead posted:

Didn't Nickelodeon always have live presenters? I seem to remember their oddly-named presenters Mounya and Yiolanda being on Nick for most of the mid-to-late 90s. I'm sure I saw Yiolanda a year or so ago on one of those awful late-night/early morning (massively rigged) game shows where the only contestants are drunks who've just crawled home from the pub.
I believe it did eventually, but not in the early 90s when I watched it. It was a big deal during the holidays!

Just youtubed some lamb chop and now I have children I can see that it basically exists as a how-to guide for dealing with little kids.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

incredible bear posted:

Oi, I'm not old enough for Muffin the mule but Button Moon was a favourite fo sho. I also remember Bagpuss, Willo the Wisp, Let's Pretend and Cockleshell Bay. Also there was a BBC series for older kids called Moondial that I loving loved.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Some of my earliest television memories were of gordon the gopher and philip scofield. After that it was Andy Peters who had a little weird duck thing. Then it was Otis the Aardvark and I stopped watching.

I always liked BBC after school, though towards Newsround they always had live action stuff I didn't care much for so then went for CITV as they had How2. Though for a time they had a good run of Demon Headmaster, The Queen's Nose and Aquila. ITV on a saturday morning was usually a good bet though, if a little inclined towards Disney related stuff.

quote:

I heard that Neil Buchanan is really into swinging nowadays.

Not sure about where he leaves his keys at night but he played in Blackburn a few months ago with his band. I didn't go but I'm sure it was great, walking around the bar taking pints and pushing over chairs. Then he got everyone to stand on the roof and look down at a portrait of himself made of dregs and empty ten bags. Probably.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Moondial!

Now I feel old.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

Semprini posted:

Moondial!

Now I feel old.

Woo, someone else remembers Moondial! I'm not the only 30+ year old here thank god.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

justcola posted:

I always liked BBC after school, though towards Newsround they always had live action stuff I didn't care much for so then went for CITV as they had How2. Though for a time they had a good run of Demon Headmaster, The Queen's Nose and Aquila. ITV on a saturday morning was usually a good bet though, if a little inclined towards Disney related stuff.

Aquila owns, me and a few friends watched it all again recently and it's still great fun

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ChuckDHead posted:

Yeah, live hosts between shows. The studio was in that amusement arcade/shopping place in London, near Trafalgar square (where the cinema is). It's got a funny name.

edit: It might be Picadilly not Trafalgar.

Kin fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 6, 2011

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

Yeah, live hosts between shows. The studio was in that amusement arcade/shopping place in London, near Trafalgar square (where the cinema is). It's got a funny name.

The Trocadero?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Flatscan posted:

The Trocadero?

Yeah, i'm sure that's the place.

edit: http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2007/01/nickelodeon-uk-timeline.html

Kin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 6, 2011

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Flatscan posted:

The Trocadero?

That was it! Sega World was based there too wasn't it? Anyone remember Parallel 9? It was the off brand Summer BBC kids weekend morning show. It had the most absurdly overplanned fiction for a kids show ever, it was brilliant.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

It was a bit of a dive when i was in there a few months ago. Everything just had this run down, "gently caress it all" feeling. The cinema was the worst bit, it just seemed really loving depressing in there.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Sega World was awesome back in the day. Wasn't there a crazy elevator with like a tube around it?

The only other thing I vividly remember is going on one of those wave-runner type games and thinking it was totally awesome.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kin posted:

It was a bit of a dive when i was in there a few months ago. Everything just had this run down, "gently caress it all" feeling. The cinema was the worst bit, it just seemed really loving depressing in there.

Yeah, the Trocadero was grim as gently caress last time I was in there, especially since the arcade was closed due to a power failure. I have always vaguely regretted never badgering my parents into going to Segaworld as a kid. Even the long-unused escalator that used to lead up to it is gone now.

oxidation
May 22, 2011
I just finished Case Histories and I loved it and am sad it was only 6 episodes long. I'm ignorant to a lot of british things in general but two things:
-What the gently caress kind of accent did Louise's son have? I couldn't understand 90% of what he was saying.
-Any other similar British dramas to it?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

Yeah, i'm sure that's the place.

edit: http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2007/01/nickelodeon-uk-timeline.html
See, knew I wasn't making it up. Live hosts started in 1994, and only during school holidays.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Anybody remember a children's program on ITV about.. Ten years ago? It featured two wolfs who ate people and two police officers that put a beating on them with batons for no real reason most episodes.
Those wolves started out on one of the Saturday morning TV shows, thread continuity fans. (edit: in "What's Up Doc?', according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_Up_Doc%3F_(TV_series) )

What are Trevor & Simon up to these days? Still swinging their pants?

FreakyZoid fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 6, 2011

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
None of these Saturday morning shows can come close to Tizwaz!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ChuckDHead posted:

Yeah, the Trocadero was grim as gently caress last time I was in there, especially since the arcade was closed due to a power failure. I have always vaguely regretted never badgering my parents into going to Segaworld as a kid. Even the long-unused escalator that used to lead up to it is gone now.

Last time I went to the Trocadero was the day after they found a car bomb outside it. Absolute ghost town, and they still charged us through the nose for bowling.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Akuma posted:

See, knew I wasn't making it up. Live hosts started in 1994, and only during school holidays.
I'm sure they had live hosts all the time for a while. I used to watch it after school.

The studio had a glass wall that you could go and stand behind, but when we went down it was Lucy Alexander so we didn't bother and just left.

Also a few years later, I passed Big Boy Barry from Games World coming out of the arcade bit. He should have been called Morbidly Obese Barry.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For after school entertainment none of these shows can stand up to the awesomeness of these two:

Knightmare.

Fun House.

:colbert:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 6, 2011

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

For after school entertainment none of these shows can stand up to the awesomeness of these two:

Knightmare.

Fun House.

Kenan and Kel
Finders Keepers

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Fraggle Rock? Or was that saterday, cant remember.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Rarity posted:

Knightmare.

Fun House.

I don't know if it counts as :filez:, so I won't link it, but someone's put what appears to be all of Knightmare up on youtube. It's still very watchable, though the ability to go through whole quests in a row instead of having to wait a week until the next episode does sort of make some of the quests feel a bit samey, especially when a few people die early on in the same few rooms. Shame it'll never come out on DVD, I'd probably buy it.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
The Queen's Nose shits all over Knightmare.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
So what was the name of the show where a group of kids had to start at the bottom of a building and solve Crystal Maze-y puzzles on each floor, going up towards the penthouse at the top using the lifts? This would have been a BBC show, mid nineties. Like Finders Keepers, I've never been able to convince anyone else it existed at all.

Also, didn't Neil Buchanan present some kind of show about the paranormal on ITV? I remember that having really, really weird theme music.

[e] First auto-correct entry for Neil Buchanan is 'neil buchanan death'. Whaaaat?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

FreakyZoid posted:

Those wolves started out on one of the Saturday morning TV shows, thread continuity fans.
I remember them giving away the answers to the competitions on one of the episodes. Like, as soon as the question was asked.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

spincube posted:

So what was the name of the show where a group of kids had to start at the bottom of a building and solve Crystal Maze-y puzzles on each floor, going up towards the penthouse at the top using the lifts? This would have been a BBC show, mid nineties. Like Finders Keepers, I've never been able to convince anyone else it existed at all.

Yeah, I was in the same boat once - nobody loving remembers that show despite it being the hottest poo poo. It was called Incredible Games.

spincube posted:

[e] First auto-correct entry for Neil Buchanan is 'neil buchanan death'. Whaaaat?

There was a fairly widespread hoax a year or so back on social networking sites that he'd died. Guess a lot of people were Googling for confirmation.

Wormophile posted:

The Queen's Nose shits all over Knightmare.

The Wild House was way better than The Queen's Nose. It was weird, later in life, to see Mr. Wild hawking Ocean Finance.

Man, speaking of shows nobody but me remembers, does anyone remember Spellbinder? It was about an Australian kid who fell into a parallel universe ruled by people in suits that shot electrical bolts and it totally loving owned.

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 6, 2011

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Btw if any of you guys have spawned, a few months ago I got my 9 year old daughter every episode of Fraggle Rock, she loves it so much! Its a great gift for a tiddler.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I wish I'd had to foresight to keep some Radio Times from way back when. I think I have one from some Christmas but having stuff from random weeks in the summer would have been good.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Hah, love the headline list on that.

Btw all Blakes 7 is available on a youtube channel if you look for it. Its actually pretty good (apart from the fx which are ropey to say the least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

It's weird because for where it is, as far as i understand, it's one of the busiest parts of london, so i don't know how it could get so dilapidated. It seemed like some seedy place that you stumble into when you're in central europe somewhere or like some 80's dystopian vision of the future. A bit more smoke and some japanese writing and i might as well have been in Blade Runner.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 6, 2011