Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sexual Lorax posted:

Good call.

Unrelated, while looking up the other stuff, I came across these guys. Custom weapons aside, it's pretty badass:

Those are surprisingly good Lego P90s :raise: Any idea who makes those? I love the use of the ski in that robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Chronojam posted:

Those are surprisingly good Lego P90s :raise: Any idea who makes those?

BrickArms.

Edit: vvvv You may have beaten me on detail, Doctor, but, in a cruel twist of fate, I have beaten you on time.

Sexual Lorax fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 3, 2011

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Chronojam posted:

Those are surprisingly good Lego P90s :raise: Any idea who makes those? I love the use of the ski in that robot.

Brickarms do: http://www.brickarms.com/Toys/weapons/Combat_PDW.aspx

nws
Jul 20, 2004
Part time SCUBA Instructor......
I want an aluminum minifig...

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08/lego-minifigs-soon-headed-for-deep-space/

nws fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 3, 2011

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
That's rad as hell. Lego is awesome, space is awesome.

But Juno is also Jupiter's wife as well as sister :eng101:

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Picked up some series 5 minifigs from Tesco. They'd only just got them and they weren't even on the system yet. Had to get an employee put them through as Series 4.

Got the dwarf, eskimo, boxer, gangster and Jane Goodall. Not bad for a random grab.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Digital War posted:

Picked up some series 5 minifigs from Tesco. They'd only just got them and they weren't even on the system yet. Had to get an employee put them through as Series 4.

Got the dwarf, eskimo, boxer, gangster and Jane Goodall. Not bad for a random grab.

And so the frantic hunt begins...

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself
Hoping I don't see Series 5 too soon as I have just spent my Lego budget for the month.

Picked up Heroica Caverns of Nathuz at Argos for £14.99, which was an unexpectedly reasonable price. I was expecting Heroica to be one of the lines where the £ price was similar to the $ price so I was quite prepared to find it for between 17.99 and 19.99. Unfortunately, out of the four Heroica sets, three are available in store and Waldurk Forest is online only. Naturally, that's the other one I wanted.

While flicking through the catalogue looking for Heroica, I also spotted the Character Options Doctor Who sets, so I added the Dalek Progenitor Chamber to my order.

This seemed way overpriced at £9.99 - it's a very small box - but that turns out to be mostly efficent packaging. The set is built on a 16x16 base, and the part count and weight are on a par with Ramses Return, which also cost 9.99 and uses a 16x16 base, but comes in a much larger box.

The majority of the parts are by Cobi, and are mostly common Cobi parts (including plenty of light grey 2x4 and 4x4 tiles) with a couple of custom pieces.

The figure (a white Dalek) is not by Cobi - it has no embossing on the studs and comes in a bag proclaiming 'made in China' - but seems to be pretty good quality. The main body is six parts, one printed, which are held together by standard studs. The eyestalk and arms are separate pieces, but they don't use any standard LEGO pin type for the fitting, so no modelling Abslom Daak carrying a Dalek gun or adding an eyestalk to a LEGO helmet.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
I was this close to buying the $140 Millenium Falcon this weekend. But the price made me hesitate. Then I saw it was available on Amazon for nearly 40-50 bucks cheaper. Anyone bought Legos through Amazon before? Any issues with missing pieces?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Kirtan posted:

I was this close to buying the $140 Millenium Falcon this weekend. But the price made me hesitate. Then I saw it was available on Amazon for nearly 40-50 bucks cheaper. Anyone bought Legos through Amazon before? Any issues with missing pieces?

Reeeaaal good chance you're looking at somebody selling the midi-scale one from a few years ago marked up like three hundred percent to try to dupe people into buying it by accident. Anybody selling the new one for fifty bucks under retail is losing money on the deal.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Bought my parents the Taj Mahal on sale last year for $200 for their 40th wedding anniversary (my mum loves Lego and my dads from India, so I thought it appropriate) and against my better judgment, let them open and build it.

And now...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002EEP3NY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1312474577&sr=8-1&condition=new :qq:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I opened up one of the Collector Death Stars I bought from that clearance sale a while back because two of them took up such a huge amount of space, and I was able to fix all of the parts in a small drawer.

Now that fucker's worth a ton unopened, too. Least I hadn't opened the Batcaves I bought way back when.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You let them open their anniversary present? How gracious of you.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

thebardyspoon posted:

You let them open their anniversary present? How gracious of you.

Ha, well as appreciated as it was at the time I think if any of us had known it would more than quadruple in value in less than a year, they'd have much rather just kept it safely on a shelf.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
After having the 8043 Excavator sitting on my shelf for about a year, finally got the time to build it. I wanted to build it right, so I spent a bit of time organizing the parts. Still took about 5 hours to build the thing. Following the suggestions of people from brickset.com, I took time to make sure every gear, linear actuator, and joint were setup right and smooth, and I have no problems at all with it lifting or moving that others have complained about (I did get the updated actuators from Lego).

Surprised at how few spare parts are left over. I've had tiny little $15 Technic sets with more spare parts.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Technic usually as one extra of every unique small part.

Also, got shipping confirmation on my unimog, motorcycle, and flatbed truck. Expensive order but gonna be sooooo worth it.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Kirtan posted:

I got both the Grand Emporium and the Fire Brigade off Amazon a while back. Didn't have any missing pieces in either set.

Bought the new Milennium Falcon for myself and while it's a great set the build isn't all the challenging. Have to wonder why they included a Vader minifig in stead of a C3PO and R2-D2 though.

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.
I vaguely remember a Lego Castle game from when I was a kid that I can't find any information on, anybody else remember this?

Basically there was a foldout paper board, with four factions (I think it was Crusaders, Wolf Pack, Forestmen, and Black Falcons). The playing space was a sort of cross shape with each faction at one tip of the cross. You could do things like build walls by putting down a 2x2 brick on one of the squares

I didn't imagine this, right?

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Just picked up the Maersk train and 3 sets of tracks all unopened for $90. Do the Maersk sets typically increase in value?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Here's a more updated pic of the Grey Alien. Got it from the eurobricks s6 discussion.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, I guess he's got the perfect expression for being such a lovely minifig.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Fantastic, Lego. You've managed to remind me of the nightmares I forgot I used to have after watching too much X-Files as a kid. :ohdear:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

SynthOrange posted:

Seriously, that's as :geno: as they come.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

SynthOrange posted:

Who cares? That head is perfect.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
So it's just wearing gloves and a thong? :raise:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Arkannoyed posted:

So it's just wearing gloves and a thong? :raise:

Dear Penthouse, I never thought it would happen to me...

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
My dad was cleaning his garage out and found my brother and I's LEGO, mostly from the 90s and some from the 70s/80s.

Hardly any sets are left built, but I recognize base panels and various pieces from stuff like Neptunes Discovery Lab, Dr. Cybers lab, some of those UFOs sets including.

So nice seeing all this poo poo again that I spent hours. I'm either going to clean them all and eBay random grab bags by the pound or something, or play the gently caress out of them. Probably the latter.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Isn't there a website where you can catalog what pieces you have, and then you can pick out sets and see if you have all the pieces to that set? I think I want to catalog all my Technic stuff, and then start building other Technic sets.

Is it Peeron?

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
Is season 6 of the Minifigs still going to be the last they do? Or have the sales massively above expectations changed the plans?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

toochilled posted:

Is season 6 of the Minifigs still going to be the last they do? Or have the sales massively above expectations changed the plans?

Have they said this is the last? Because it seems to me that this has been a huge success for them. I thought when the first batch they did, there were no promises on more. Now we're on the sixth one in, what, just two years?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
There was a rumor that 5 was gonna be the last, but lo and behold, leaked pics of 6.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself
I believe the last semi-official word was that they were thinking of stopping at series 8. But I'm guessing the profit margin and popularity are high enough that they'll keep going until they're either really running out of designs, or seeing a significant drop in interest.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So I'm looking to relive some childhood nostalgia and get a lego set, but all the good looking models seem to be in the $100+ range. I'm not looking to make my own art or anything, just toss together what the manual specifies and put it on a shelf or something. Are there any nice-looking sets people can recommend that are more in the $50 price range?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

cheetah7071 posted:

So I'm looking to relive some childhood nostalgia and get a lego set, but all the good looking models seem to be in the $100+ range. I'm not looking to make my own art or anything, just toss together what the manual specifies and put it on a shelf or something. Are there any nice-looking sets people can recommend that are more in the $50 price range?

I don't know which series you liked but this one seems to be pretty popular and has a cool design.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7051_Tripod_Invader

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

VaultAggie posted:

I don't know which series you liked but this one seems to be pretty popular and has a cool design.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7051_Tripod_Invader

I've posted about this set in this thread before, but really, this is a great set for $20. Looks pretty neat on my desk :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It'd be great if I could find that set. It's selling way too fast.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Revol posted:

Isn't there a website where you can catalog what pieces you have, and then you can pick out sets and see if you have all the pieces to that set? I think I want to catalog all my Technic stuff, and then start building other Technic sets.

Is it Peeron?

You can use Brickset to keep track of all the sets you have, and then Bricklink can part the sets out and tell you what pieces are in those sets. However I don't think there's any system that lets you catalog just what pieces you have, and then cross-reference those pieces to see what sets you can make.

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like Peeron does have that ability, actually. I've just never bothered to look into it! :downsgun:

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I have really only rediscovered the joy of Lego in the past month. I started out with some discounted Kingdoms stuff from Target, then I bought this today for less than $45.

It was a lot of fun to assemble, and it seems like a pretty versatile set if you want something that can be used for other Lego projects.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

A designer friend of mine came up with a nice idea yesterday. Thought I would share:

Wallpaper version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

You can use Brickset to keep track of all the sets you have, and then Bricklink can part the sets out and tell you what pieces are in those sets. However I don't think there's any system that lets you catalog just what pieces you have, and then cross-reference those pieces to see what sets you can make.

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like Peeron does have that ability, actually. I've just never bothered to look into it! :downsgun:

It's nice because you can know exactly what pieces you have, but it's horrible because that means you have to enter them in. You can plug in a set and it'll add those pieces to your inventory, but bulk lots from ebay or goodwill? Even just PAB cups are maddening. I haven't entered any bulk/loose in over a year.

And Peeron's on some godawful server, so it's slow as hell, and you have to click through to pieces to see what they're describing.