Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Spermy Smurf posted:

I finally read Eriksons books... RotCG and Stonewielder.

They werent nearly as bad as NoK, but still pretty terrible dialogue.

Now I want more. Of anything in the Malazan universe. I dont care who writes it or what it is about, I just want more...

God damnit.

Have you read the horror novellas?

BTW we have cover art for the two special editions of deadhouse gates coming out soon. The coltaine one is pretty sweet. I don't know who's supposed to be in the other. Lostara? Shaik?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

BTW we have cover art for the two special editions of deadhouse gates coming out soon. The coltaine one is pretty sweet. I don't know who's supposed to be in the other. Lostara? Shaik?

Apsalar would be my guess

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Wow, that Coltaine cover. Badass, but still... Spoiler alert.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Why does everyone spit everywhere? All the drat time. Spit spit spit. Someone probably has to clean those floors.

"Herp derp I'm Dujek Onearm", spits on floor, sips ale, spits on floor, scratches stump.

suburban virgin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 6, 2011

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Fargo Fukes posted:

Why does everyone spit everywhere? All the drat time. Spit spit spit. Someone probably has to clean those floors.

"Herp derp I'm Dujek Onearm", spits on floor, sips ale, spits on floor, scratches stump.
Don't forget throws gloves.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Levitate posted:

She should have asian features then.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Habibi posted:

Two comments:
1) In the sort of medieval setting the Malazan book inhabits, rape or the threat of rape were/are constant issues for women.

Medieval? Rape and war have gone together longer than peanut butter and jelly, and that's never going to change.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Fargo Fukes posted:

Hahaha oh my God, best new thread title idea in a while right there.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Boogle posted:

She should have asian features then.

Erikson is literally the only fiction author I've ever seen use the phrase "epicanthic folds," though the same can be said about many of his stock words.

User posted:

Medieval? Rape and war have gone together longer than peanut butter and jelly, and that's never going to change.

"Rape. Rape never changes."

Oh sorry, I thought this was the GRRM thread for a second.

Those limited edition covers look pretty bad to me. Apart from the Coltaine spoiler thing, that font is really lame.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I think Erikson showed admirable restraint in his use of rape in the books. There aren't any demon cocks spewing fire-hose volumes of black semen on everything, after all. At least two dudes get raped, too, and that has to count for something.

hello clarice posted:

No, I just usually like it when there is more development other than "Hello you are a large muscled man OUR LOVE IS FOREVER". It's less about actions, like saving someone from something, and more about how two characters interact.

I know this was about a page ago but I also found this sort of jarring in the books until I really thought about it. The characters obviously don't live in a world anything like the world we live in. Chances are most of these characters have had very few (if any) romantic relationships. A bunch of people thrown into extremely stressful situations with very little interpersonal support most of which have the emotional maturity (in this regard) of your average teenager and it's not really surprising how it turns out. Just because someone says OUR LOVE IS FOREVER doesn't mean it is.

Edit: Some of the relationships, including one you took issue with, aren't really relationships at all. Two people that have no contact with each other are only "together" in their (possibly mutual) daydreams. Pining for someone is like a relationship without all the rigors of an actual relationship. No matter how strong the actual feelings involved are people fall in love with the idea of a person they haven't seen in ages. It's just a weird form of escapism that can be especially appealing to someone who is bored, depressed, and prone to living in their own head (Pedac).

Wallet fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 7, 2011

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Wallet posted:

At least two dudes get raped, too, and that has to count for something.

Hell, the (minor as hell MoI spoiler but I always prefer safety) Children of the Dead Seed concept is based around men getting getting raped, even.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Wallet posted:

There aren't any demon cocks spewing fire-hose volumes of black semen on everything, after all.

This cracks me up every time I see it.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Juaguocio posted:

Those limited edition covers look pretty bad to me. Apart from the Coltaine spoiler thing, that font is really lame.

Deadhouse Qates

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!

Wallet posted:

I think Erikson showed admirable restraint in his use of rape in the books. There aren't any demon cocks spewing fire-hose volumes of black semen on everything, after all. At least two dudes get raped, too, and that has to count for something.

I know this was about a page ago but I also found this sort of jarring in the books until I really thought about it. The characters obviously don't live in a world anything like the world we live in. Chances are most of these characters have had very few (if any) romantic relationships. A bunch of people thrown into extremely stressful situations with very little interpersonal support most of which have the emotional maturity (in this regard) of your average teenager and it's not really surprising how it turns out. Just because someone says OUR LOVE IS FOREVER doesn't mean it is.

Edit: Some of the relationships, including one you took issue with, aren't really relationships at all. Two people that have no contact with each other are only "together" in their (possibly mutual) daydreams. Pining for someone is like a relationship without all the rigors of an actual relationship. No matter how strong the actual feelings involved are people fall in love with the idea of a person they haven't seen in ages. It's just a weird form of escapism that can be especially appealing to someone who is bored, depressed, and prone to living in their own head (Pedac).

Huh, that's a really good point. I didn't even think of that.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Wallet posted:

Please tell me that is a reference to the Prince of Nothing. Man I hated that book.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Benson Cunningham posted:

Please tell me that is a reference to the Prince of Nothing. Man I hated that book.

Jesus, are there a lot of other books drowning in gallons of black demon semen? I'm suddenly afraid for the world.

Chib
Nov 20, 2006
My husband has been pimping this series to me for years now, but I've never made it past the first 100 pages because I kept having to go back and reread entire sections, having not actually retained anything. This is attempt three. Maybe it will be easier now that I have an ebook?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Probably not.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't know who's supposed to be in the other. Lostara? Shaik?

Levitate posted:

Given that rear profile and the copious descriptions in the book, if she actually featured in this novel I would have voted for Masan Gilani. :)

But, yeah, Apsalar seems the likely suspect.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

User posted:

Yeah, I realized that soon after I posted. It was a poor choice of wording - I wasn't referring to the medieval period specifically, just the general...uhh, shall we say uncivilized nature of the times? :

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Habibi posted:

Given that rear profile and the copious descriptions in the book, if she actually featured in this novel I would have voted for Masan Gilani. :)

But, yeah, Apsalar seems the likely suspect.

She doesn't show up named until book 4, does she?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

She doesn't show up named until book 4, does she?

I want to say yes, as it's whenever the host that becomes the BH first appears.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

There is still kind of a hole that these books left in me. I really doubt I will ever read something so epic again in my lifetime.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

AcidCat posted:

There is still kind of a hole that these books left in me. I really doubt I will ever read something so epic again in my lifetime.

This gives me so much hope, since I just finished book 5 of Song of Ice and Fire and I think I may just hang myself. Should probably start up Reapers Gale tomorrow.

Only prolonged exposure to Karsa can save me now.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

It makes me rather sad that everyone loves ASoIaF and says its the greatest fantasy epic of all time and it gets an HBO series and piles of money for GRRM, but nobody notices MBotF. I have enjoyed ASoIaF but I think MBotF is just way better. There's no justice in the world.

Also there are a ton of scenes I would love to see HBOified. Pretty much every scene with Karsa being Karsa would be great. Everything about the chain of dogs and everyone thought Ned in Game of Thrones was a twist, imagine the end of the chain of dogs. Tehol and Bugg would be amazing if they pulled it off. Mappo and Icarium. And so many more.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I wouldn't say Malazan is way better than ASOIAF (way different in style and focus), and it definitely would not work in TV as well as Game of Thrones did. Not even close. The budget would be astronomical of course and the plot way too sprawling. Too bad, because some scenes would be awesome, but as a whole I can't see it working.

Chain of Dogs, though, would be kickass. Cut out the non-CoD stuff from DH and you'd have fantasy Band of Brothers.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
When i'm a mental billionaire i'll invest all my money into a film version of the Chain of Dogs np.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

AcidCat posted:

Yeah, I'm curious what other books people are reading after this. I marathon'd all of the Black Company books again by Glen Cook and read some Joe Abercrombie. I don't care for GRRM unfortunately. I'm looking for new stuff in this vein but a little less epic/doorstopper, anyone found anything interesting? My list of authors I like is getting depressingly small.

Opal
May 10, 2005

If you can stand some scifi influences I can recommend the books by Roger Zelazny. He writes a pretty interesting mix of scifi and fantasy that I really like. If for some reason you've missed his Chronicles of Amber I suggest you try that immediately and if you've read that but nothing else then try some of his other stuff like This Immortal, Lord of Light and Lord Demon.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Joe Abercrombie.

Yeah I just finished the First Law trilogy. It was a nice change of pace, having a tighter story and of course much smaller cast of characters. I think I'll be checking out one of his other books next. I still need to pick up A Dance with Dragons, but at this point its been so long since I read the prior books, I might as well go back, maybe reread A Storm of Swords to reorient myself.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I finally got around to reading TCG (and catching up on 25 pages of ths thread) and it's been such a wild ride. Fantastic series. I agree with some of the posters earlier on in the thread, I felt that Erikson had written in a bit too many plot lines in the earlier books. Made things a bit more messier to clean up. I only wished that he would have alluded to the Forkrul Assail being a major power within the Malazan world. I mean all the other elder races had lost their nations and were basically nomads. The FA have basically ruled over the entire eastern portion of the Letherii continent and he only reveals this to us in the last book. Makes the "ultimate bad guys" seem little more than canon fodder. Then again, the story is not about who they're fighting, but who they're trying to free. I still loved the book though and made me look forward to the upcoming spinoffs.

So TCG does manage to chain the otaral dragon right? What happened to the other dragons, did Silchas murder them all? What exactly did the hust sword do for him?

One thing that amused me was throughout the entire series everyone regards Sinn as some sort of monster and as a reader you feel bad for her, but in the end she really was a monster. It's just something you don't usually see in fantasy books.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 10, 2011

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

bigmcgaffney posted:

I wouldn't say Malazan is way better than ASOIAF (way different in style and focus), and it definitely would not work in TV as well as Game of Thrones did. Not even close. The budget would be astronomical of course and the plot way too sprawling. Too bad, because some scenes would be awesome, but as a whole I can't see it working.

Chain of Dogs, though, would be kickass. Cut out the non-CoD stuff from DH and you'd have fantasy Band of Brothers.

This is exactly what I've thought for a long time. There are SCENES that would be amazing, but I can't see how the series would work as movies/miniseries overall. poo poo, look at how many people come to this thread confused as hell...Now imagine trying to communicate those confusing rear end parts with no narration, diluted down to TV/movie length.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

AcidCat posted:

That's one thing about these books, they really feel like a kind of mythology. Most modern fantasy is about either transporting a modern perspective into a fantasy realm or reveling in the debauchery and violence of an imagined time frame. MBOTF is all about setting up these enormous conflicts and watching trickster gods, powerful warriors and wizards and humble mortals all try to solve it. It's just very different.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

NovemberMike posted:

That's one thing about these books, they really feel like a kind of mythology. Most modern fantasy is about either transporting a modern perspective into a fantasy realm or reveling in the debauchery and violence of an imagined time frame. MBOTF is all about setting up these enormous conflicts and watching trickster gods, powerful warriors and wizards and humble mortals all try to solve it. It's just very different.

To tie this into the above discussion about television I think the appeal you're talking about is exactly what limits Erikson's audience and ultimately makes it unworkable as a television series or film. Game of Thrones works because, at it's heart, it's just a character drama in an unusual setting. HBO's entire shtick in recent years falls perfectly in line with what GRRM has on offer.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 11, 2011

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Just finished Dust of Dreams...what a hosed up book

I know that Eriksson dropped major hints about it way earlier in the series but the Nah'Ruk still felt like they kinda came out of nowhere...maybe more goes into that in the last book but in some ways it felt like he threw them in because he needed a suitably awesome fight to end the book on.

I guess that's kind of how I feel about the books so far in general...Eriksson seems to kind of just like coming up with all kinds of poo poo and throwing it at the reader so it feels like there's not really a sustained (throughout all the books) narrative half the time, it's just crazy poo poo happening. And it also feels like from the start of the series to the end, he changed his mind on where he was going with the series.

But, it's still awesome, these aren't total criticisms and I haven't really taken the time to try to sort out my thoughts about it completely.

Maybe it'd be more accurate to say that there's sooooooo much side stuff going on that the main narrative seems kind of unfocused. At least most of that side stuff turns out to be awesome.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

I know that Eriksson dropped major hints about it way earlier in the series but the Nah'Ruk still felt like they kinda came out of nowhere...maybe more goes into that in the last book but in some ways it felt like he threw them in because he needed a suitably awesome fight to end the book on.

IIRC that's been built up at least since the third book.

Aug 15, 2010
A quick question regarding Mappo and Icarium.

I cannot remember how he ended up in the crack Prust found him in. I'm currently reading Bonehunters and he just got healed by Prust's wife. Who finally made an apperence but I now realize she was around all along since she turned into spiders. Badass. Anyway and now their some new dude hanging with Icarium. I must have sleep read that section he got introduced because suddenly, he is guiding Icarium.

Help! :)

Edit- please disregard. Reading > me.

1554 fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 16, 2011

Opal
May 10, 2005

1554 posted:

A quick question regarding Mappo and Icarium.

I cannot remember how he ended up in the crack Prust found him in. I'm currently reading Bonehunters and he just got healed by Prust's wife. Who finally made an apperence but I now realize she was around all along since she turned into spiders. Badass. Anyway and now their some new dude hanging with Icarium. I must have sleep read that section he got introduced because suddenly, he is guiding Icarium.

Mappo ran into the D'ivers Dejim Nebral who is released in the beginning of one of the books. He fights a couple of his forms and takes one of them with him when falling off a cliff thing.

I honestly can't remember how the new guy finds Icarium, however.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pretty sure that Taralack Veed had been following them for awhile and the whole thing was a setup by the Nameless Ones, who released Dejim Nebral for just this purpose. They wanted Veed to replace Mappo and set the whole thing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

the periodic fable posted:

Mappo ran into the D'ivers Dejim Nebral who is released in the beginning of one of the books. He fights a couple of his forms and takes one of them with him when falling off a cliff thing.

I honestly can't remember how the new guy finds Icarium, however.

Guy with no memory spoilers:
As far as I recall, and it's been a while, Mappo had to be replaced because he was only fulfilling half of his purpose. Icarium's guides exist to keep him busy but also to unleash him if required. I don't remember how or if the Nameless One's decision ties into the stuff a few books previous involving Mappo/Icarium and the hounds and such.

At any rate the Nameless One's responsibility for sending Taralack is revealed later when he spouts off various motivational speeches that were apparently fed to him, as well as talking about what his reward was supposed to be. When we're introduced to Taralack he's alone tracking Dejim so he can be there when it finds Mappo/Icarium (I think?).