Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
If im running one monitor thats 1920x1080 and one thats 1920x1200 and I want to clone the displays, is it possible to still get one of them to have 1920x1200 and the other one just to have it cut off? Right now its forcing my 1920x1200 monitor into x1080 mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Phiberoptik posted:

If im running one monitor thats 1920x1080 and one thats 1920x1200 and I want to clone the displays, is it possible to still get one of them to have 1920x1200 and the other one just to have it cut off? Right now its forcing my 1920x1200 monitor into x1080 mode.

If the 1900x1200 monitor has a 1:1 display mode as opposed to the fill screen or stretch + maintain aspect ratio modes, you should be able to do it I'm pretty sure.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I just sold my U2711 and went back to a TN panel. I feel like the biggest jackass and want to buy it back immediately.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You are the Padishash Emperor of jackasses.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sleepness posted:

I just sold my U2711 and went back to a TN panel. I feel like the biggest jackass and want to buy it back immediately.

I can't see why you'd do this other than utter poverty..

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sleepness posted:

:staredog:

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

It was a horrible choice. I figured I wouldn't notice a huge difference going back to a TN and I would rather have the 200 dollars (I am not in extreme poverty). Bad move.

To make it worse, my fiancee will not let me buy another one unless I sell the one I replaced it with, which I bet will be hard to do.

sleepness fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 3, 2011

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

sleepness posted:

and I would rather have the 200 dollars (I am not in extreme poverty). Bad move.

You downgraded from IPS to TN to save 200? Did you buy a 60 inch TN or something, what the poo poo.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Eej posted:

Also a lot of people go with different sized monitors, just be aware that nVidia cards run hotter doing different resolutions at the same time (so I am told anyhow).

Is this only newer cards?

My creaky passive cooled 9600GT is running the same temps driving two different panels as it did with one.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Shmoogy posted:

You downgraded from IPS to TN to save 200? Did you buy a 60 inch TN or something, what the poo poo.

I included the price of shipping and the cost of the new monitor. It really was a dumb move. This thing looks INCREDIBLY washed out. Once you go IPS, you can never go back. Biding my time until I can sneak in a purchase...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Remember that fiances will believe anything if plied with an appropriate amount of chocolate and wine first.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, before I ask all these annoying questions, realize I know nothing about monitors, even after reading through the OP.

I've been planning to upgrade to a 24" recently, and have been looking over Newegg for good cheapish options. I'm not in extreme poverty or anything, I'd just rather not blow more then $200 on a monitor, especially since I plan to probably buy a new monitor come next June.

Right now, I have two options in the <200 range, namely the LG E2441V-BN and the ASUS VH236H, of which the ASUS looks both a hell of a lot better, and has much better reviews. There is also the ASUS VW246H if thats leaps and bounds ahead of the other two.

I'm also looking at the two refurbished ASUS models here and here but I'm not sure of the quality of those. I know with video cards refurbished is generally fine, but in that case there is very little that could be wrong with them if they come back as refurbished, and there is a huge culture of buying the drat things, and either not knowing how to install them or realizing they can't OC later on, and returning, which leads to lots of good refurbed video cards, monitors don't seem to have the same thing going on.

Apparently, from reading the OP, 23" models also avoid the black bar issue, which is my main reason for buying this size, if so, I'm also semi considering the ASUS VH232

I don't really care about size or anything here, my main focus is on a good monitor I can use for gaming ( but I don't need a monitor built for gaming, just one that can be used for it without strain. ), doesn't get black bars on ports, and will last me a year or so. From what I gathered in the OP, that means 23/24"? If I'm wrong, correct away and give me some better options here, I'll be happy to know I'm totally wrong.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Whether you see black bars or not is a function of what aspect ratio the screen is and what aspect ratio the content is not anything to do with screen size.

All of the models you posted are 16:9 (1920x1080 pixels) so no difference between them in that regard.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Rookersh posted:

I don't really care about size or anything here, my main focus is on a good monitor I can use for gaming ( but I don't need a monitor built for gaming, just one that can be used for it without strain. ), doesn't get black bars on ports, and will last me a year or so. From what I gathered in the OP, that means 23/24"? If I'm wrong, correct away and give me some better options here, I'll be happy to know I'm totally wrong.

Hey no problem, questions are cool, and we'll actually answer all of them instead of letting them get lost like megathreads in other forums!

- no black bars in ports: as dissss stated, this is a function of aspect ratio. The safest way to make sure you don't get black bars on even the shittiest console port is to buy a screen with a 16:9 aspect ration; this means you should look for a resolution of 1920x1080. Most decent console ports will also support 16:10 but often the crappy ones won't (and the cutscenes may only be 16:9 anyways).

- last a year or so: :laffo: not a video card man, it should last you years! VGA is just now beginning to disappear.

- for gaming: are you a super-leet gamer dude who needs little to no input lag for competitive play, or do you just like shooting things occasionally? I think almost any panel type will work for you, though non-TN types will deliver you superior viewing angles and colors.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
The U2410 came, revision A05 (manufacture date April 2011), no dead pixels, out of a fresh Dell box with the factory calibration sheet. I can't see any catch, even though I threw caution to the wind and went on ebay (well, it was apparently a Dell partner). Very happy!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 4, 2011

Flotzilla
May 3, 2003
Pride of the Peaches

Rookersh posted:

Right now, I have two options in the <200 range, namely the LG E2441V-BN and the ASUS VH236H, of which the ASUS looks both a hell of a lot better, and has much better reviews. There is also the ASUS VW246H if thats leaps and bounds ahead of the other two.

I was in the same situation and narrowed it down to the VH236H and the VW246H. After researching it for a few hours, it seems the general opinion is that they are both great monitors for the pricerange and you can't really go wrong with either. I ended up choosing the VW246H because of its larger size and it was the more popular of the two on Newegg. Honestly I like the styling of the VH236H better, and the lower price is always a plus.

I can't comment on my personal opinion of the monitor because I actually just ordered it this morning.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
With my recent upgrade to an i5 2500K, 6780 1MB ATI vid card, and 4 Gig RAM set up, will moving from a 22" 1680X1050 LCD res to a 1920X1080 LED res provide a significantly noticeable upgrade for gaming?

I know something like this could be subjective, but just wondering if anyone else here has done that, and what they experienced.

I've read the increase to 1920X1080 will cause a drop in FPS.

EDIT - VVV Sorry, I meant I have a 6870 card VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 5, 2011

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Quanta posted:

Dell takes a backward step with their update for the U2410, and is also planning replacements for their 23" and 21.5" screens:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/23.htm#dell_u2412h_1

Any new info now that the 24 is out? I'm thinking of buying a U2311H but if the new version is coming soon I can hold on with my (slowly) dying CRT.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Kragger99 posted:

With my recent upgrade to an i5 2500K, 6780 1MB ATI vid card, and 4 Gig RAM set up, will moving from a 22" 1680X1050 LCD res to a 1920X1080 LED res provide a significantly noticeable upgrade for gaming?

I know something like this could be subjective, but just wondering if anyone else here has done that, and what they experienced.

well, it's not really a drop, it's more like more stress for your graphics card. instead of needing a 6780, you might need a 6870 or a 6970 for things to run smooth. However, this matters most in terms of "What" you are playing, first and foremost. More to render = more work for the card. However, things tend to look a shitload better at higher res's. It also means that AA and AF are more taxing too. So if you do 8xAA at 1680x1050, don't expect that at 1920 or above, basically.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

It's a pretty big jump, especially if combined with an increase in screen size (that is, moving from a 22" 1680x1050 to a 24" 1920x1080). A 6870 should be good enough to run most modern games at fairly high settings at 1920x1080 without a problem. As a point of comparison, I run BF2:BC on a 5850 at 1920x1200 with everything on high and 4xMSAA and never notice any slowdown. On the other hand, The Witcher 2 is crushing, but you've got a better card than I do.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Well, I set it up, and did a compare with my existing monitor.

My old one looked way better at it's default res (1680x1050). It's running off a DVI connection, whereas the new monitor only runs on RGB and HDMI. Any text was quite blurry with the new one.

When viewing any games, pics or video on the new one at the 1920X1080 res, I didn't see too much of an increase in quality, other than a larger picture size (only wider - height is the same). The picture was much brighter (LED backlit), but I preferred the old monitors' view. Note, I did test both the RGB, and HDMI connections.

I did a benchmark of Just Cause 2 on the new monitor, and at both the 1680 and 1920 resolutions, the avg FPS was 59. Guess my vid card can handle the higher res easily.

I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but I think i might just stick with the old one.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

movax posted:

- for gaming: are you a super-leet gamer dude who needs little to no input lag for competitive play, or do you just like shooting things occasionally? I think almost any panel type will work for you, though non-TN types will deliver you superior viewing angles and colors.

Just a normal guy who wants to load up his games on something nicer looking then a 1152x864 CRT eMachine. :smith:

How harsh is recert with monitors? I'm really looking at this right now, even over the ASUS VW246H, because its $50 cheaper, but want to make sure monitor recert isn't some sort of terrible mixed bag, and I'll more then likely end up with a ton of dead pixels.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 5, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

Well, I set it up, and did a compare with my existing monitor.
It sounds like you may be running the new monitor at an incorrect resolution. With HDMI, text should be fairly crisp, no matter the monitor. Which exact monitors do you have, anyhow?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

DrDork posted:

It sounds like you may be running the new monitor at an incorrect resolution. With HDMI, text should be fairly crisp, no matter the monitor. Which exact monitors do you have, anyhow?

Old - Samsung Syncmaster 226BW. 2ms response 3000:1 contrast native/max res 1680x1050

new - Samsung Syncmaster S24A350H. 2ms response 500,000:1 contrast native/max res 1920x1080

The old one had DVI
The new one only has D-sub or HDMI connections. I tried both, but each one needed an adapter because:

My vid card has 2 DVI outputs. To hook up the HDMI, I used a DVI to HDMI adapter.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Rookersh posted:

...but want to make sure monitor recert isn't some sort of terrible mixed bag, and I'll more then likely end up with a ton of dead pixels.
Recerts are a mixed bag, and NewEgg's monitor return policy hits you with a 15% restocking fee (and you pay return shipping). ASUS's return policy (like many budget monitor makers) will not accept a return just because it has a few dead/bright pixels. I think ASUS needs you to have more than 5 defective pixels before they'll even consider replacing it for you.

So yeah, you might get a great deal, or you may get one that someone returned precisely because it had a dead pixel or two. Mixed bag, there. There are companies and lines with zero-dead pixel policies, and I'd imagine that the recerts would also fall under that protection. Some BenQ monitors and Dell's entire Ultrasharp line are like that, off the top of my head.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

How common are dead pixels these days anyway?

There are five LCDs and a few of laptops of varying ages in this room and all of them are still perfect. All budget models too.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Rookersh posted:

I just got 3 of these not too long ago at work, so far I am loving them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

DrDork posted:

It sounds like you may be running the new monitor at an incorrect resolution. With HDMI, text should be fairly crisp, no matter the monitor.

He actually explicitly said he tested it at both, and only complained about the fuzzy text at the incorrect resolution. And yeah, it's not too surprising that running a 1920x1080 LCD monitor at 1680x1050 looked like poo poo.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Actually at the default res of 1920x1080, the text was also blurry. It was only some letters that were blurry. For example: the X and p in "example" might look blurry.

Does the DVI to HDMI adapter cause some quality loss? I'm wondering if the old monitor with a DVI connection looks better because it's pure digital signal.

I didn't change any settings in the CCC, so maybe I'm not giving it a fair shake.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Kragger99 posted:

Actually at the default res of 1920x1080, the text was also blurry. It was only some letters that were blurry. For example: the X and p in "example" might look blurry.

Does the DVI to HDMI adapter cause some quality loss? I'm wondering if the old monitor with a DVI connection looks better because it's pure digital signal.

I didn't change any settings in the CCC, so maybe I'm not giving it a fair shake.

This sounds almost similar to a ticket that I had a while back. User complained about monitor being too sharp. I go talk to her, nothing has changed, everything looks fine. Five minutes into trouble shooting with her, she mentions that she went to the eye doctor last night and got new contacts. :suicide:

I have never had a problem with HDMI to DVI cables, its all digital, there isn't any fancy conversion going on.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Kragger99 posted:

No, DVI <-> HDMI causes no quality loss. They are the same digital signal.

Did you run the ClearType tuner?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Did you run the ClearType tuner?

^^ This, sounds like a font rendering issue. If you're on Win7, just type 'ClearType' into the Start Menu and the first result should be 'Adjust ClearType text' which is what you want.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Thanks for all the advice guys - I'll give it another try.

I did notice some horrible screen tearing when watching video on the new monitor (not at it's native resolution).

Is there normally an option to adjust the V Sync for video? I didn't see one in ATI CCC.

TheQuad
Jan 16, 2009
Just ordered a U2412M through work. We have a discount with Dell, and I talked to a rep that got the price down to $325 before tax. Gets here next week. :D
I'm excited to see how the dual-screen setup looks with my older acer 16:10 22". I've never had a multi-monitor setup before!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

TheQuad posted:

I've never had a multi-monitor setup before!
You'll never, ever want to go back.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

DrDork posted:

You'll never, ever want to go back.

I did. Juggling the focus between monitors using a single PC proved to be too much of a hassle to work smoothly for me.

I do, however, often use a desktop and a laptop at the same time. Puts the focus-switching on me rather than software.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Not sure how you find moving between different keyboards/mice to be less disruptive to your work-flow than moving your mouse to click in a different window, but whatever works for you!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

DrDork posted:

Not sure how you find moving between different keyboards/mice to be less disruptive to your work-flow than moving your mouse to click in a different window, but whatever works for you!

Mostly has to do with mouse/keyboard focus. I do very few things that aren't either typing-oriented or otherwise full-screen (which risk going un-full-screen if I shift the mouse focus).

I just like a big, honking 16:10 monitor.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I've been using a 42" LG TV (IPS panel) as my monitor for a while now. Did a basic setup, and after getting used to the larger pixels and a little extra input lag, it's a lot nicer than the FP241W it replaced. And since most of what I do on here now is gaming and watching movies/TV, the loss of 120 pixels in height was pretty much meaningless. I guess I like being subhuman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dillweed posted:

I guess I like being subhuman.

I wonder what 577:192 makes me? :ohdear: