Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Rrail posted:

When the hell is Kindle For The Web coming out? I need to be able to read at work. :mad:

I actually was surprised when I found out they didn't have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
So the OP says that e-readers are not great for PDF's, and not to ask a question that's already been asked. The OP doesn't get into much more detail about PDF's than that though. I ctrl+F'ed the first few pages for "PDF," read the posts, didn't get the answer I need.

Question:
My boss sent me a contract with some pages signed, so they decided to scan the entire thing as image pages (no text). It's almost 200 pages long. Unfortunately it's shrunk down, and I have to zoom in a lot to read it on my pc. Is there anyway to convert so it will be visible on my 1st generation Kindle? I have huge margins and tiny text.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah.

Well, correction... probably nah without using a shitton of work.

You can get an OCR software suite from somewhere and run it through, but remember even the best ones only get about 98% accuracy, so out of every 100 words at least 2 are GUARANTEED to be incorrect.

Also, image based PDFs will look like horrid rear end on the kindle.

Sorry man :(

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drunk Tomato posted:

I actually was surprised when I found out they didn't have one.

So was I. Software reader before web reader? Really?

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah.

Well, correction... probably nah without using a shitton of work.

You can get an OCR software suite from somewhere and run it through, but remember even the best ones only get about 98% accuracy, so out of every 100 words at least 2 are GUARANTEED to be incorrect.

Also, image based PDFs will look like horrid rear end on the kindle.

Sorry man :(

I just need to be able to read it. If it messes up a few words, but I can understand it from context, that's fine. All the OCR online stuff I saw is for one-page docs. This is a giant contract. I don't care if it looks bad either. Do you know of any free OCR suites? Or a way to enlarge (not just magnify my view) all pages of the pdf before sticking it on my kindle? I tried calibre, converting the format, but I can't see any way to make the "images" (blocks of text) larger or to cut off the giant margins.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Need an ipad for what you want... Kindle is pretty terrible at that kind of stuff.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Unless you already have a tablet you're probably better off just printing it out, no?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

petewhitley posted:

Unless you already have a tablet you're probably better off just printing it out, no?

Two hundred pages of all image pdf? I'm gonna have nightmares now, thanks. <:mad:>

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

particle409 posted:

cut off the giant margins

http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

griliard
May 12, 2006

particle409 posted:

I just need to be able to read it. If it messes up a few words, but I can understand it from context, that's fine. All the OCR online stuff I saw is for one-page docs. This is a giant contract. I don't care if it looks bad either. Do you know of any free OCR suites? Or a way to enlarge (not just magnify my view) all pages of the pdf before sticking it on my kindle? I tried calibre, converting the format, but I can't see any way to make the "images" (blocks of text) larger or to cut off the giant margins.

If you break up the pdf file into images, you can also try Calibre. Just add the images to a zip archive and rename the extension to cbz. Calibre has trimming support under its Comic Input section when converting from cbz. This won't work well if the scans are dirty, though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

particle409 posted:

My boss sent me a contract with some pages signed, so they decided to scan the entire thing as image pages (no text). It's almost 200 pages long. Unfortunately it's shrunk down, and I have to zoom in a lot to read it on my pc. Is there anyway to convert so it will be visible on my 1st generation Kindle? I have huge margins and tiny text.

Since you actually interact with the people involved, perhaps you could ask for a copy of the contract in Word or whatever format it came out of originally? That'd probably be a lot more useful and easy to convert unless knowing what was signed is important.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Well, that helps me cut off the legalese on the bottom of every page that's not relevant to me, but I still need to find a way to resize/enlarge every page. I've found resizers/scalers, but they all cost a lot. I'm not comfortable asking for an unsigned copy of the contract, and it's too many pages to resize separately, I may as well just kill a tree and print it out. Yeah, I'm still amazed that somebody had to scan the entire thing in. Only about 15% of the pages have signatures on them, the rest they could have just left as pdf text.

edit: Ok, trying something new. I "printed" from the PDF to an XPS format while changing the print layout, so now the XPS reads correctly. I'll see if I can convert it into a MOBI (or PDF, then MOBI) file so it's readable on my Kindle 1.

edit2: The PDF is still too small after cropping, and converting to MOBI does something weird. Some blocks of text are normal, others are shrunk down. Looks like I'll be printing it out, thanks anyway guys.

particle409 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 4, 2011

DahtBard
Jan 7, 2011

Well, that's one way to do it.
Has anyone tried Papercrop? It looks like it'd work nice, I don't really have any large PDFs to experiment with it though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

particle409 posted:

Well, that helps me cut off the legalese on the bottom of every page that's not relevant to me, but I still need to find a way to resize/enlarge every page. I've found resizers/scalers, but they all cost a lot. I'm not comfortable asking for an unsigned copy of the contract, and it's too many pages to resize separately, I may as well just kill a tree and print it out. Yeah, I'm still amazed that somebody had to scan the entire thing in. Only about 15% of the pages have signatures on them, the rest they could have just left as pdf text.

edit: Ok, trying something new. I "printed" from the PDF to an XPS format while changing the print layout, so now the XPS reads correctly. I'll see if I can convert it into a MOBI (or PDF, then MOBI) file so it's readable on my Kindle 1.

edit2: The PDF is still too small after cropping, and converting to MOBI does something weird. Some blocks of text are normal, others are shrunk down. Looks like I'll be printing it out, thanks anyway guys.

Did you try rotating the screen? That has made some of PDFs I have read readable.

You can also zoom in but that is a pain in the rear end to navigate over a multiple page document.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

commish posted:

Need an ipad for what you want... Kindle is pretty terrible at that kind of stuff.

Even the iPad 2 is slow with large full color PDFs. I have a few from work and it's a pain for me to scroll a lot of pages because it struggles to keep up.

I have a friend who is quite a bookworm and would love to be able to browse the Internet easily in addition to book reading but who doesn't care for iPad level apps or anything, what's the general consensus about internet browsing on the ereaders that can do it?

[Taken care of, thanks]

SpoonsForThought fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 6, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SpoonsForThought posted:

Even the iPad 2 is slow with large full color PDFs. I have a few from work and it's a pain for me to scroll a lot of pages because it struggles to keep up.

I have a friend who is quite a bookworm and would love to be able to browse the Internet easily in addition to book reading but who doesn't care for iPad level apps or anything, what's the general consensus about internet browsing on the ereaders that can do it?

Also, if there are any Kindle special offers users who don't plan on using their amazon coupon but would like a forums upgrade just let me know.

Which special offers coupon are you referring to? BTW, the coupons are tied to the person who owns the Kindle and are non-transferrable. I forwarded my 25% camera coupon to someone and it didn't work. They called Amazon and were told the codes are tied to the original Kindle owner and are not transferrable.

I'd be happy to send you one though...which one?

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Which special offers coupon are you referring to? BTW, the coupons are tied to the person who owns the Kindle and are non-transferrable. I forwarded my 25% camera coupon to someone and it didn't work. They called Amazon and were told the codes are tied to the original Kindle owner and are not transferrable.

I'd be happy to send you one though...which one?

Right now it appears there is a 20% that can be applied to laptops. If it doesn't work I might just have to convince my friend that a Kindle is what she is looking for...

SpoonsForThought fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 6, 2011

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Cross posting from the BB e-reader thread:

So are there any good sites besides Amazon where I can find skins for my Kindle?

I can't bring myself to pay 20 bucks for a pretty sticker-plus I'd like to find one that is the thick, rubbery sort rather than just an actual sticker.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

spixxor posted:

Cross posting from the BB e-reader thread:

So are there any good sites besides Amazon where I can find skins for my Kindle?

I can't bring myself to pay 20 bucks for a pretty sticker-plus I'd like to find one that is the thick, rubbery sort rather than just an actual sticker.

So, something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0045LG75M

- edit Or if you don't mind spending more.

http://www.otterbox.com/Amazon-Kindle-3-Commuter-Series-Case/AMZ4-KIND3,default,pd.html

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 6, 2011

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Is there any way I can prevent Amazon from sending the 'you have documents waiting' thing to me every time I turn on my wireless? My books always auto-download, and so I get my books and the notification that I have books at the same time. :(

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

2 weeks ago, I highlighted and shared a quote to my facebook. Since then, there has been the "Message Shared" notification at the top of the screen. I have went to other books, turned it on and off, highlighted (and sent) other quotes but it will not go away. Anyone else have that issue before and what could I do to fix it?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Just got a Nook Touch and loving it so far... makes the Kindle look like quite the beast.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah well the Nook touch is short and fat and smells like ketchup

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah well the Nook touch is short and fat and smells like ketchup
You should mention that it's actually BIGGER than the Kindle (if you measure by volume!) because that's a key point in explaining why the Kindle is better ;)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Eyecannon posted:

Just got a Nook Touch and loving it so far... makes the Kindle look like quite the beast.

Can your Nook give you 20% off a new Macbook Air? :colbert:

The Nook Touch really is neat, but my money is on Amazon as compared to B&N for long term ebook success. At least B&N saw the writing on the wall with physical books going the way of the dodo...hopefully it's a good long term play for them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I'm really impressed with the new Nook, I just invested too much into the Amazon store so I stuck with the Kindle. There's no doubt the next Kindle will be similar to the Nook.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Eyecannon posted:

See? See what bullshit comments like this cause? Now we're back to "squatter versus shorter" again.

Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, same same, we likey.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
Here are a bunch of screen savers I made. Some of them were really tough to get good enough quality images of.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/XwzQY

Also, the GoT cover below is not in the album:

dont eat a carb fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 9, 2011

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
I noticed someone posting earlier asking about Kindle for the Web

Well, here it is:

http://steampunkkindle.com/Free-Samples/beneath-gray-skies.html

sorta. It's official, it's actually called "Kindle for the Web", but it's not quite what you're asking for. Yet.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Quantify! posted:

You should mention that it's actually BIGGER than the Kindle (if you measure by volume!) because that's a key point in explaining why the Kindle is better ;)

Well played.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dont eat a carb posted:

I noticed someone posting earlier asking about Kindle for the Web

Well, here it is:

http://steampunkkindle.com/Free-Samples/beneath-gray-skies.html

sorta. It's official, it's actually called "Kindle for the Web", but it's not quite what you're asking for. Yet.

Or there's this that launched today (Chrome/Safari only):

https://read.amazon.com/

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Cool, this works with my amazon.co.uk account. I wasn't expecting it to.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Maneki Neko posted:

Or there's this that launched today (Chrome/Safari only):

https://read.amazon.com/

Wow, fantastic. Thanks! Goodbyyyyyyyyye work productivity!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm looking at a new eink Ereader - never have had one before. My problem is that I have a bunch of ebooks on Google Books and Amazon, and am having trouble finding which of the two (Kindle/Nook) will best support my existing collections. I don't mind if I have to have third party software convert formats, but I'd like it to be as native as possible.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Gyshall posted:

I'm looking at a new eink Ereader - never have had one before. My problem is that I have a bunch of ebooks on Google Books and Amazon, and am having trouble finding which of the two (Kindle/Nook) will best support my existing collections. I don't mind if I have to have third party software convert formats, but I'd like it to be as native as possible.
Nook supports epub
Kindle supports mobi

It's easy to convert, buy for features not for what files are supported.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No matter what you do, you are going to have to break DRM for your reader.

If you get a nook, the google books will work fine but you would have to break the Kindle DRM and convert to ePub.

If you get a Kindle, you'll have to break the adobe digital editions DRM for google books and convert to mobi.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The DRM is such annoying bullshit and feels like it's 2004 again. If the music industry can offer DRM-free music on Amazon and iTunes then you'd think book industry would get their poo poo together.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's nice that the DRM this time isn't one device/person ever like music drm was. Also video content is still DRM'ed to hell and back despite being around online in a big way almost as long as music, i doubt the comparatively young mass-market ebook industry will drop DRM before Hollywood.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks for the responses. Both the Nook and Kindle look comparable, any quick recommendations on either or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Gyshall posted:

Thanks for the responses. Both the Nook and Kindle look comparable, any quick recommendations on either or?

Nook touch capability is awesome, and it's convenient to go in to the store if you have a question,

but Amazon is the bigger company and they are Customer Service Gods. Also, they will be announcing several new kindles soon - I'm currently waiting to purchase something off the kindle line after they announce the Touch Kindle!