Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Thwomp posted:

I don't normally like car commercials but that second one is awesome and such a perfect marketing thing to do. If Dodge knows what's good for them, they should plaster that one all over TV.

It's like they read this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h4fFhNYueY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
fuel economy standards kill
http://www.miller-mccune.com/business-economics/saving-gas-via-underpowered-death-traps-34722/

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Only if you have a separate Truck/Car standard instead of an across-the-board.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Would it have killed you to read the article before you posted it?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Faceless Clock posted:

Would it have killed you to read the article before you posted it?

Actually I did read it before posting.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not a car, but an engine: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/05/meet-audis-new-engine-the-1-8-tfsi/ That should be help deal with the big issue plaguing DI engines (carbon desposits).

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Not a car, but an engine: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/05/meet-audis-new-engine-the-1-8-tfsi/ That should be help deal with the big issue plaguing DI engines (carbon desposits).

That's a loving gasser that puts down diesel numbers all around, that is really badass.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So basically it's doing what Toyota is doing with the 4GR-FSE and adding injectors to the intake? Because apparently that doesn't even work.

Somehow GM and Ford are able to make DI work fine without carbon buildup.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/direct-injection-fouls-some-early-adopters.html

I'm pretty sure that Audi's problems have something to do with their bad piston ring/oil consumption problems that are so widespread on their engines.

The HP seems pretty weak too. The Mercedes 1.8T in the E-class puts out 200+hp and it came out in 2009, the Opel Corsa OPC has a 1.6T without DI at 192hp and that's from 2006. Hell the 1.6T in the Nissan Juke puts out 188hp and it's a $20k economy car. Maybe EU emissions are just going to get really tight by 2016 and they'll all be back to 8l V8 with 190hp again.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Throatwarbler posted:

The HP seems pretty weak too. The Mercedes 1.8T in the E-class puts out 200+hp and it came out in 2009, the Opel Corsa OPC has a 1.6T without DI at 192hp and that's from 2006. Hell the 1.6T in the Nissan Juke puts out 188hp and it's a $20k economy car. Maybe EU emissions are just going to get really tight by 2016 and they'll all be back to 8l V8 with 190hp again.

It may be because it's tuned for torque. Aside from the Mercedes, none of those engines have more than 180 ft-lbs, while the TFSI has 236.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

2011 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive - Short Take Road Test
Guess what ED stands for.

Highs and Lows:
Highs: Quiet enough at stoplights to actually hear your regret.

Lows: Not enough interior room for your pride.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Motronic posted:

2011 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive - Short Take Road Test
Guess what ED stands for.

Sounds like that car just can't get up and go.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Brigdh posted:

Actually I did read it before posting.

Then I'll assume you're being sarcastic, since the article did not agree with your statement.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Faceless Clock posted:

Then I'll assume you're being sarcastic, since the article did not agree with your statement.

Brigdh posted:

"Article entitled [b posted:

Auto Deaths a Side Effect of Higher Fuel Efficiency Standards[/b]"]Research confirms that increasing fuel economy standards does cost lives on the road.
Are you just looking at the pictures or something?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Throatwarbler posted:

:smug:

A friend of mine just got a new Durango Crewlux and honestly it's an unbelievable deal for $40k. The Penta V6 is a great base engine too. If Dodge can't do anything else right at least they can still make SUVs.

Also the comparison to the new Explorer is kind of weird considering it's hardly even an SUV anymore, just a huge crossover. If you buy a new Explorer to take on trails or tow anything more than a trailer with a couple bikes, you're nuts.

eames
May 9, 2009

New video of a barely disguised 991 around Stuttgart, the best one I’ve seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFNRrygIzAA

Front spoiler kind of reminds me of the MP12-4C (best visible at the very end of the video).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lowclock posted:

I wish I DID just look at the pictures, the fallacies and outright bullshit damaged my brain.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

I wish I DID just look at the pictures, the fallacies and outright bullshit damaged my brain.
CAFE Watch latest: New proposals cause brain damage, says well-respected car enthusiast.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

Yeah looking at the articles (both the main one and the 'report' it linked to) is just one big what the gently caress.

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept

tobu posted:

I've been fairly interested in the Hyundai Veloster which is destined for Australia sometime later this year. It's got a suicde door but terrible looking wheels and a fat arse.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/124151/hyundai-veloster-review-first-drive/

I was planning on buying a Veloster a few months ago, but they keep getting delayed. Originally it was spring '11, then summer '11, now "late summer." I emailed a few dealerships and they said they're expecting them late in the year, around Thanksgiving. I was doing some research and the '12 Accent has the exact same engine and weighs over a hundred pounds less. (2584 vs 2430) If the Veloster is supposed to be the Tiburon replacement, shouldn't it be quicker than the Accent? And not thousands of dollars more expensive?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If the Veloster has much more competent suspension, then it should be more fun to drive and faster despite a weight disadvantage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kimbo305 posted:

If the Veloster has much more competent suspension, then it should be more fun to drive and faster despite a weight disadvantage.

I liked the rental Accents that I drove but this is spot on. The Accent handles like an economy car set up for ride comfort and freeway driving. The suspension isn't necessarily a bad design, it's just not set up to handle. If the Veloster is set up to handle, that will make a big difference.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Lowclock posted:

Faceless Clock posted:

Brigdh posted:

Article entitled Auto Deaths a Side Effect of Higher Fuel Efficiency Standards posted:

Research confirms that increasing fuel economy standards does cost lives on the road.

Misleading article also posted:

But the reality isn’t so linear, in large part because those hulking trucks and SUVs that do such a good job of protecting their passengers also pose the greatest threat to everyone else on the road.

Fuel efficiency kills only because the drivers who cling to their SUVs just run over anyone in smaller cars. It's not that "fuel-efficient-car on fuel-efficient-car" accidents are worse. It's because SUVs eat small cars for breakfast in "SUV on fuel-efficient-car" accidents.

But, higher efficiency standards should mean fewer monster trucks on the road. Right?

This article tries very hard to point out the dissonance in the National Center for Policy Analysis' report. However, because it's really hard to counter stupidity, it looks like the article supports the reports findings...mostly because they can't call the NCPA 'lying bastards' in print.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Lets also remember that a rather small percentage of fatal accidents are vehicle vs. vehicle. Most fatal accidents involve car vs. tree or cliff or other fixed object.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PBCrunch posted:

Lets also remember that a rather small percentage of fatal accidents are vehicle vs. vehicle. Most fatal accidents involve car vs. tree or cliff or other fixed object.

This can't be mentioned enough. Someone on the forums recently mentioned that high speeds are not fatal, it's running into objects at high speed, usually stationary ones, are the cause of fatalities.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, in those kinds of collisions, a heavy truck with a separate chassis and a lack of crumple zones really isn't what you want. A nice big oak tree doesn't give a drat if your vehicle weighs 2,000lbs or 6,000lbs, it ain't moving. Hope you got something to give you some measure of controlled deceleration.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I liked the rental Accents that I drove but this is spot on. The Accent handles like an economy car set up for ride comfort and freeway driving. The suspension isn't necessarily a bad design, it's just not set up to handle. If the Veloster is set up to handle, that will make a big difference.

I'm a bit concerned about the Veloster because the engine in the Accent is as boring as they come. Yes, it has nice power, but it makes a terrible noise. And I'd get a chubby to a nudie of Rosie O'Donald before it revs to 6,000 RPM.

Given all the praise heaped on Hyundai lately, I was really expecting more when I drove the Accent. It wasn't that attractive on the outside, extremely unattractive on the inside, and not at all fun to drive. I hope the Veloster is nothing like it.

Edit: On the other hand, I drove a Chevy Cruze Eco. Now that's what a small, efficient, yet fun car should be like. The six-speed manual is smooth as can be, but doesn't feel detached or squishy either. There's not a lot of power, but the torque is low, and when you get on it the engine makes a pleasing nice. It's enjoyable, but at the same time it doesn't have pretend to have sporting intent that it can't back up (that's what the RS package is for!)

Tragic Otter fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 8, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new Sonatas all want to turn left.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

It's a 2000 9-3SE with the Aero package. And an automatic.

You're getting disowned. <:mad:>

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Throatwarbler posted:

The new Sonatas all want to turn left.

NASCAR influence.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Faceless Clock posted:

I'm a bit concerned about the Veloster because the engine in the Accent is as boring as they come. Yes, it has nice power, but it makes a terrible noise. And I'd get a chubby to a nudie of Rosie O'Donald before it revs to 6,000 RPM.

Given all the praise heaped on Hyundai lately, I was really expecting more when I drove the Accent. It wasn't that attractive on the outside, extremely unattractive on the inside, and not at all fun to drive. I hope the Veloster is nothing like it.

Edit: On the other hand, I drove a Chevy Cruze Eco. Now that's what a small, efficient, yet fun car should be like. The six-speed manual is smooth as can be, but doesn't feel detached or squishy either. There's not a lot of power, but the torque is low, and when you get on it the engine makes a pleasing nice. It's enjoyable, but at the same time it doesn't have pretend to have sporting intent that it can't back up (that's what the RS package is for!)

I would say that the Accent is probably Hyundai's worst current offering for what it's worth. I agree with you that the Cruze is a better drive in all the ways you suggested, but here is an issue:

Hyundai Accent GLS Sedan, fully loaded, with destination is 15,7. A similarly equipped Cruze with the 1.4T is 19,2. It's a lot better car; it's also 23% more expensive, so it drat well ought to be.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would say that the Accent is probably Hyundai's worst current offering for what it's worth. I agree with you that the Cruze is a better drive in all the ways you suggested, but here is an issue:

Hyundai Accent GLS Sedan, fully loaded, with destination is 15,7. A similarly equipped Cruze with the 1.4T is 19,2. It's a lot better car; it's also 23% more expensive, so it drat well ought to be.

That's a good point of course. People who are looking for fuel efficiency might cross-shop them, but generally they're not the same class. If an Accent was right in your price range, a Cruze Eco would be way too expensive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Faceless Clock posted:

That's a good point of course. People who are looking for fuel efficiency might cross-shop them, but generally they're not the same class. If an Accent was right in your price range, a Cruze Eco would be way too expensive.

The Cruze should really be cross shopped against the Elantra, and the Accent should compete with like uh... the Aveo? or the spark or whatever thing Chevy is going to put out sub-Cruze.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

eames posted:

New video of a barely disguised 991 around Stuttgart, the best one I’ve seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFNRrygIzAA

Front spoiler kind of reminds me of the MP12-4C (best visible at the very end of the video).

Maybe the video didn't give sound justice, but it sounded so meh.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Cruze should really be cross shopped against the Elantra, and the Accent should compete with like uh... the Aveo? or the spark or whatever thing Chevy is going to put out sub-Cruze.

The Sonic, :smugteddie: which also starts at $14.5k.

Overall length (mm): 173.1 / 4399 159 / 4039

Accent
Overall length (mm): 4,370 mm 4,115 mm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm actually really curious to drive the Sonic, I just couldn't remember what it was called. Same drivetrains as the Cruze.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm actually really curious to drive the Sonic, I just couldn't remember what it was called. Same drivetrains as the Cruze.

It's been getting good reviews. C/D and R&T are saying that it might be the best driver's car in the segment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

It's been getting good reviews. C/D and R&T are saying that it might be the best driver's car in the segment.

I just saw the instrument cluster though :staredog:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They're moving production of the Sonic back to the US from Korea so it will cost them $60/hr labor to build. Since it's a GM subcompact I'm sure that all the money will go into superior vehicle content for higher transaction prices and profit, they definitely won't be just cutting the cost difference out of the interior and end up selling the car for a loss anyway to make up CAFE numbers. :patriot:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

They're moving production of the Sonic back to the US from Korea so it will cost them $60/hr labor to build. Since it's a GM subcompact I'm sure that all the money will go into superior vehicle content for higher transaction prices and profit, they definitely won't be just cutting the cost difference out of the interior and end up selling the car for a loss anyway to make up CAFE numbers. :patriot:

The Cruze is built in the US and they don't seem to be having too much trouble with it yet. Daewoo's labor costs have been rising aggressively as well so I'm not convinced that they're losing a horrible amount of money by going to local sourcing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I just saw the instrument cluster though :staredog:

I need to see a more head on pic of the cluster. It looks like the HUD from a Vette turning into a gauge cluster.