Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009
I've wrestled with the idea whether it's worth it take 1+ hour per roll to de-dust, scan, and color correct one roll of film, or just pay 5bux to have someone else do all that noise for me. I've opted for the 5bux, at least for color film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

DJExile posted:

How much of a difference would I get with a decent negative scanner versus having the lab put images on a CD? I've tried this a few times and it just seems like all they do is scan the prints themselves.

Factors involved:
-What is your end goal for the scans? Web? Prints? What size prints?

-What lab are you paying to do this?
--What capabilities do they have?
---What scanner are they using
---Do they offer uncorrected scans? Different resolutions?

-How much are you willing to pay for a scanner?
-Are you willing to spend the time to learn to use it properly?
-Do you feel like spending a lot of time scanning?

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
I've been messing around with that old missile-tracking recording film a bit more.
Kodak Pan Film 2484, expired in ~1985/86, developed this time in HC-110.

Untitled by epomorski, on Flickr

Zealand by epomorski, on Flickr

Pemigewasset Wilderness by epomorski, on Flickr

Zealand Trail by epomorski, on Flickr

It actually looks fairly reasonable on that accidentally double-exposed last picture. Original speed was supposed to be 3200ISO, that one is probably the equivalent of 160ISO.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 30, 2011

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

filmz

Is that grain or pepper?

When I get the rolls you sent me, I'm gonna try them in Perceptol and Rodinal to see what happens.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

More grunge again:

I'm having a lot of fun with this stuff. It's terrible for most uses so far, but the few that do work on each roll are making me quite happy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
After much confusion, my local camera shop (which is otherwise excellent) has informed me they cannot get C-41 chemistry for me. I want to develop colour film at home (or, more likely, in the molecular-biology lab at work after hours). Can somebody please point me at an on-line retailer for such things? I'm in Canada, if that makes a difference.

Dr. Cogwerks, your uber-grainy missle film is very cool; I have a strange urge to post your shots to a photoshop thread in GBS and have people stick missles in there. I can easily see missles crashing into stuff in every shot you've taken. Maybe I'm just a loon.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ExecuDork posted:

Dr. Cogwerks, your uber-grainy missle film is very cool; I have a strange urge to post your shots to a photoshop thread in GBS and have people stick missles in there. I can easily see missles crashing into stuff in every shot you've taken. Maybe I'm just a loon.
Alternatively I thought that this one

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Zealand Trail by epomorski, on Flickr
would be perfect for one of those Mr Slim Jim Man or whatever threads that are popular there. Welp; so much for sleepping tonight goon sire. You hve robbed me of my ZZZs as well as my 5ives.

pwn fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 30, 2011

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That missile tracking film is so cool. I always look for it on ebay and craigslist. Are there any more odd films like that that might be floating around there? I've heard of police surveillance film, and strange infrared security type film as well. I love experimenting with that stuff.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
I picked up a bulk roller this morning full of Kodak Elitechrome 100 from the early 90s, I don't think it's been in the fridge. Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I shot a bit older ektrachrome 64(for tungsten and expired in 83?) and it came out super blue but still useable.

i xp'd one roll and it came out awful.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting

guidoanselmi posted:

I shot a bit older ektrachrome 64(for tungsten and expired in 83?) and it came out super blue but still useable.

It's very common for older Ektachrome to shift to blue. How bad it gets is probably a reflection of how well it was stored.

Does anyone keep their bulk rollers in the fridge? I would think it's a bad idea given that the film isn't sealed like it is in the can, but I hate keeping mine sitting around in my hot apartment all the time.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

fartzilla posted:

Does anyone keep their bulk rollers in the fridge? I would think it's a bad idea given that the film isn't sealed like it is in the can, but I hate keeping mine sitting around in my hot apartment all the time.
I do, but I keep it in a ziploc freezer bag.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

FasterThanLight posted:

I do, but I keep it in a ziploc freezer bag.
Same, along with any unexposed film that's not in foil bags like 120 comes in.

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009
has anyone made a pinhole camera from a quart paint can? i picked one up yesterday from the hardware store and was trying to find a needle size vs aperture size chart before i start wasting all my sheet film/paper.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Wiki: Selection of Pinhole Size

...which gives .48mm to .50mm depending on orientation. My advice would be to drill a hole slightly bigger, then make pinholes out of aluminum foil which could then be taped on. Also remember to flock or paint the inside black.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window
Well gently caress me, I forgot how expensive it was to develop E-6. My local place, Citizens, is 8 bones for 36 exp. Any mail in-service that are cheaper?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

porcellus posted:

Well gently caress me, I forgot how expensive it was to develop E-6. My local place, Citizens, is 8 bones for 36 exp. Any mail in-service that are cheaper?

Not really. And yeah, Citizen's (Portland, right?) is pretty spendy. Unfortunately, while it is an hour away from me, it's still the closest place for me to get my 4x5 developed. :haw:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Citizens is totally my favorite lab. Nice dudes working there.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Got my Agat-18k. It's really light and a little smaller than an Olympus XA. It has the kind of shutter mechanism with the two blades that do both shutter and aperture at the same time, not unlike other compact rangefinders. The only thing I can see being really annoying is that the lens focus mechanism is relatively loose and easy to move so it might not be so good for stuff where you set it to hyperfocal and leave it there.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

HPL posted:

The only thing I can see being really annoying is that the lens focus mechanism is relatively loose and easy to move so it might not be so good for stuff where you set it to hyperfocal and leave it there.

Gaffer tape.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Got my Agat-18k.

the internet posted:

The camera cost about $15 or so, and has given me consistently crappy pictures. It's a pain in the rear end to load. It's got a very simple aperture/shutter speed control, which consists of pictograms of the sun and clouds. You dial the current weather and it comes up with a shutter speed and aperture setting. Theoretically.

It has proven itself to be an ideal negative scratcher, with long lines going through each negative. I'll run another roll or two through it, and if it doesn't improve, it's off to the glue factory..

Hahaha you go ahead and tell us how crappy it actually is.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

8th-samurai posted:

Gaffer tape.

"Hey, all my photos turned out completely dark!"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I found some cameras at Goodwill today.

One was a Honeywell Heiland Pentax H3, with some sort of ungainly Asahi Copal meter on top, which didn't seem to work. The mirror was stuck up.

Attached to is a Sankyo Kohki Komura 135mm 2.8 lens; it was preset-aperture and had a crazy-looking 12-blade aperture.

The second was a Yashica G Electro 35 (the top one here. It looked to be in perfect cosmetic condition, and the shutter made noise and the winding knob worked. No battery in it, so I couldn't test the meter.

Both were $35.99. Are either worth it? I'm curious about the Pentax mostly for its lens, since I could fit it on my Spotmatic (and maybe sell the body to a goon I dunno)

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 6, 2011

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

HPL posted:

"Hey, all my photos turned out completely dark!"

I meant over the focus mechanism.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

The second was a Yashica G Electro 35 (the top one here. It looked to be in perfect cosmetic condition, and the shutter made noise and the winding knob worked. No battery in it, so I couldn't test the meter.

If the meter works, its worth it. If not, its a paperweight.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

sierra nevadas here I come

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
My general aim in photography is to shoot concerts with as crazy a camera as possible.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

HPL posted:

My general aim in photography is to shoot concerts with as crazy a camera as possible.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

HPL posted:

pew pew pew

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

~~ mad science time ~~

I found a push-process roll that I'd lost a couple years ago and decided to try it with Dektol as an experiment. It seems that pushing severely-underexposed Tri-X with paper developer does some really weird things to it...

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

atomicthumbs posted:

sierra nevadas here I come
Where are you going?

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

~~ mad science time ~~
Those look pretty awesome.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Still kinda new at photography but I have been having a ton of fun with my Pentax K1000.

All shot with cheapo Walgreens 200 film.

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 6, 2011

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Crosspost from SAD- Tried out a roll of Delta 3200 last night

This stuff is super gritty, and I love it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Augmented Dickey posted:

This stuff is super gritty, and I love it.
Awesomeness - I've got 3 rolls of expired (kept in freezer, apparently) Delta 3200 heading my way.
Did you have to use ND filters for those day-time shots, or was small aperture + fast shutter speed sufficient?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Well I pulled it a stop to ISO 1600, plus I was shooting at f/11 with a deep green filter on. So with all that I was able to shoot around 1/250-500 most of the time.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

~~ mad science time ~~

I found a push-process roll that I'd lost a couple years ago and decided to try it with Dektol as an experiment. It seems that pushing severely-underexposed Tri-X with paper developer does some really weird things to it...

These are cool! I've been wanting to try one of the packets of D-19 my camera store's had forever, but I have no idea what I'd use it for.

Saint Fu posted:

Where are you going?

we're going to be staying near quincy, going by way of south lake tahoe (and staying there for a few days)

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window

dukeku posted:

Citizens is totally my favorite lab. Nice dudes working there.
The coolest dudes.

Reichstag posted:

Not really. And yeah, Citizen's (Portland, right?) is pretty spendy. Unfortunately, while it is an hour away from me, it's still the closest place for me to get my 4x5 developed. :haw:
Eugene?

What's the scanner favorite these days? A few years ago it was the V500 or 4490. Has anything been improved upon? I need a scanner! Not now, but in the coming months. The other option I'm thinking about is just buying an old scanner for snapshots and have it drum scanned if I choose to print a project.

porcellus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 6, 2011

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
During the school year, yeah, but there's an excellent lab there (Dot Dotson's). Right now I'm in Hood River.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

porcellus posted:

The coolest dudes.

Eugene?

What's the scanner favorite these days? A few years ago it was the V500 or 4490. Has anything been improved upon? I need a scanner! Not now, but in the coming months. The other option I'm thinking about is just buying an old scanner for snapshots and have it drum scanned if I choose to print a project.

V700! High quality, medium-high price (not crazy like the V750).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

porcellus posted:

Seconding the V700 as the popular favourite, if you have the budget. The V500 is considerably cheaper, there's nothing wrong with a 4490, and I'm quite happy with my 3170. I like your second option of getting a decent second-hand scanner (that's how I got my 3170 - $20) and getting a professional to scan it for you when you have something really special on your hands.

I'm down to my last two rolls of TMax (400) in 135 format, with 3 rolls of Ilford Delta 3200 in the mail on their way to me. I've enjoyed HP5+, Delta, TMax, and Tri-X (in 120 format) plus a crazy roll of iso 25 Kodak Technical Pan that GWBBQ sent to me. What other B&W films should I explore, next? Is there a widely-available very slow B&W film, like ISO 50, that I should be able to find new?