Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Just saw M. It was the earliest movie that I've seen. Was a bit hard to get into at the start, but once the criminals and police were doing their manhunt, it got interesting. Peter Lorre was great and I really liked the comparison between the police and the underworld.

My List:
It's a Wonderful Life - This is on every Christmas, and yet I have never seen it.

Best In Show - Lots of people have said that this movie is hysterical, and I could use a good comedy now.

Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended a lot. Haven't seen it yet.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Duck Soup - Another Marx Brothers film that I'd like to see

The Princess and the Frog - I usually make sure that I watch a DVD when I buy it, but I bought this movie over a year ago and I still haven't seen it.

Sanjuro - Kurosawa's next movie on my list.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Dracula - Never saw any of the classic Hollywood horror movies, but now that I've gotten interested in Bela Lugosi (through the Ed Wood pictures), this seems like the natural first pick.

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M

Jurgan, Definately see Rashomon. The only Kurosawa films I've seen on the three on my list, but I've enjoyed every one and he has quickly become one of my favorite directors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Duck Soup - Another Marx Brothers film that I'd like to see

The Marx Brothers are super-fresh.

Watched Elevator to the Gallows.

My Criticker review:

An extremely clever little thriller. Went in expecting a dull French New Wave noir tribute along the lines of the shittier "classic" Godard, but ended up being thoroughly entertained by a subdued version of a Hitchcock suspense, though much of the suspense is downplayed. A very enjoyable and unique film that surprised me quite a bit. 85/100

You guys need to give me something truly great, because outside of Fanny and Alexander, nothing so far has passed the 90 threshold!

My list:

A Man Escaped - Saw Au Hasard Balthazar and hated it. Have avoided Bresson since.

Brand Upon the Brain!! - Love Guy Maddin, but somehow have never watched this even though I have a copy.

The Saragossa Manuscript - Sounds awesome, but dense as hell, so I've been putting it off.

Ulysses' Gaze - I've heard Angelopoulos is great.

Day of Wrath - I loved The Passion of Joan of Arc but couldn't get into Ordet, so I've kinda given up on Dreyer.

Fires on the Plain - Didn't care for The Burmese Harp. Figure I should eventually see this one though.

The Son - I feel like I should give the Dardenne's a chance, but I find their style so boring.

Kagemusha - Criterion sale blind buy. I love Kurosawa, though, so I'm sure I'll love this.

Uncle Boonmee who Can Recall His Past Lives - Just sounds awesome. Palme D'or winner and compared to Tarkovsky.

Goodbye, Dragon Inn - Really enjoyed The Wayward Cloud, but I wonder if his style will be interesting with out all the hilarious boning.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I've never seen Blade runner, but I hope to correct this tomorrow.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
jonnykungfu, watch Brand Upon the Brain!.

As everyone says, the cinematography in I am Cuba is the real draw, and it is spectacularly, jaw-droppingly good. Besides the first segment, the narratives are fairly weak, but more than made up for with the camera movements. 4/5

Safe
Other Todd Haynes/Julianne Moore movie. This one sounds much better.
71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
Haneke noooooo. Recommended to me earlier in this thread.
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
I remember hearing this was a good Australian film.
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I saw In the Mood for Love so long ago that I can barely remember it. I'm assuming it's not necessary viewing for this?
A Zed and Two Noughts
I heard some talk of this on the forums here. It sounds interesting.
A Short Film About Killing
I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.
Contempt
Next on TSPDT. I love Godard, so I'm looking forward to this.
Blind Chance
A premise that's been done before, but I'm sure Kieslowski's will be the best.
Videodrome
Need some more good horror.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

A Zed and Two Noughts
I heard some talk of this on the forums here. It sounds interesting.

Haven't seen it, but The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover is one of my favorite films.

Watched Brand Upon the Brain!!.

My Criticker review:

May be the most Guy Maddin of all Guy Maddin films. Filled with his obsessions with German Expressionism, B-movies, fairy tales, and general batfuck insanity, this film is probably the best introduction to Guy Maddin's style, and one of his most captivating. Maddin is definitely the most interesting film-maker working today, and every film of his is an event.

My list:

A Man Escaped - Saw Au Hasard Balthazar and hated it. Have avoided Bresson since.

The Saragossa Manuscript - Sounds awesome, but dense as hell, so I've been putting it off.

Day of Wrath - I loved The Passion of Joan of Arc but couldn't get into Ordet, so I've kinda given up on Dreyer.

Fires on the Plain - Didn't care for The Burmese Harp. Figure I should eventually see this one though.

The Son - I feel like I should give the Dardenne's a chance, but I find their style so boring.

Kagemusha - Criterion sale blind buy. I love Kurosawa, though, so I'm sure I'll love this.

Uncle Boonmee who Can Recall His Past Lives - Just sounds awesome. Palme D'or winner and compared to Tarkovsky.

Goodbye, Dragon Inn - Really enjoyed The Wayward Cloud, but I wonder if his style will be interesting with out all the hilarious boning.

Last Year at Marienbad - I am generally meh on French New Wave cinema, but this one sounds interesting.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100, Brand Upon the Brain!!: 90/100.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

jonnykungfu posted:

Haven't seen it, but The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover is one of my favorite films.

A Zed and Two Noughts is quite a trip. Not as amazing as Cook/Thief/Wife/Lover, but it creates an even more bizarre world. Greenaway's films are those rare experiences where you're seeing an idea that went straight from someone's brain directly to the screen. In this case, that brain seems fairly disturbed.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jonnykungfu posted:

I haven't seen any of your ten but for the amount of talk I've heard about this it surprisingly has the least amount of IMDb votes.

A Streetcar Named Desire - This one didn't do much for me. The more of these hailed Brando films I see the less I'm impressed. Sure, he has a presence on the screen but one of the all-time greats?

also watched:

The Secret in Their Eyes - I liked the characters but didn't get too engrossed in the story and lost interest about halfway through. Although the ending was a little humorous.

Sandoval reminded me of an Argentinian Mo Rocca for some reason (maybe just the glasses) and his scenes nearly turned the film into a comedy. I did like the "Tema de Liliana" track.

IMDb list:

new Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Looks like a Harry Potter film has entered the top 250. I guess I should watch the series. If younger I may have gotten into reading the books or watching the films. I remember being at someones house and seeing parts of the first one but I don't remember anything except some sort of flying soccer match and someone threatening his parents and sending them flying away (it's not surprising these are popular with the children). At least I'll start to understand the zillions of references thrown around the last decade. 8/4/11

#167 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#195 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#207 Stalag 17 - Apparently the first sixteen films aren't as good. 7/16/11

#209 In Bruges - I don't know how to pronounce the title. 7/16/11

#210 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

#212 Kind Hearts and Coronets - The title does not tickle my fancy. 7/21/11

new #214 Barry Lyndon - I remember hearing about this when one of Ryan O'Neal's sons went onto Larry King Live and berated his dad for making him watch this. Ryan O'Neal gave his son some drugs so that he'd make it through the film. 8/4/11

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 4, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Zogo, The Hustler is one of my favorite movies so enjoy

The 400 Blows was outstanding. It was my first Truffaut film and I was suitably impressed. The kids were excellent and I never got the impression than Doinel was a gently caress-up, just misunderstood. It just seemed to me that he wanted to be left alone. I got a soft spot for the underdogs, so it hit me pretty hard, Just a beautiful film.

1) Carrie- still working through the horror list
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) The Iron Giant- I need to watch more animation and I hear this is heart wrenching
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) Rififi- I've put this off long enough
6) High and Low- branching out from samurai Kurosawa
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) Modern Times- the last of the "big" Chaplin films I need to see
10) Winchester '73- let's watch some more Anthony Mann

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

6) High and Low- branching out from samurai Kurosawa

This movie pretty much rules.

So I ended up really liking The Graduate. Hoffman is really excellent here. He's awkward as hell, but extremely impulsive which keeps the film chugging along at a great pace. There some really memorable scenes, especially the ending. The music is pretty great. It's really just a great film all-around, and it actually makes me miss living in California, too.

1. Pather Panchali - Only experience with Ray was a very low quality DVD of The Music Room. I liked it a lot.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. Punch-Drunk Love - Might as well put up something more recent.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a good film.

5. Rio Bravo - John Wayne seemed like he was a real rear end in a top hat. Maybe I'll enjoy some of his films anyway.

6. The Graduate Videodrome - I am intrigued.

7. Seven - Saw the ending on TV and didn't realize it, oh well. I should probably watch the rest of it.

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

9. The Hustler - Paul Newman is aweeeesooommmeee.

10. Brief Encounter - Haven't seen that many movies from the 40's. A David Lean film that isn't a sprawling adventure sounds interesting.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93, The New World 86, Persona 81, Manhattan 86, Some Like It Hot 78, The Rules of the Game 91, Nights of Cabiria 75, The Graduate 89

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Atheistdeals.com, having just finished Pather Panchali, I can't in good faith recommend anything else before it. Watch it.

Pather Panchali - A sort of internal documentary of childhood and familial relationships, flowing on in tones both passionate and meditative. Ray speaks with faces, hands, beams of light, and gusts of wind, in a vision of the world that sees the images and sounds of the forest, house, and body passing into each other until they can hardly be told apart. Deeply affecting. I lost all sense of time. 10/10

Updated:

3. City Lights - I've only ever seen The Great Dictator, but it was years ago. Bad, I know. I do love Buster Keaton. *Have now seen Modern Times, as well

6. L'atalante - I love visually creative silent films, and the couple of scenes I saw in a documentary once were gorgeous.

8. Sansho the Bailiff - Ugetsu blew me away; I've been meaning to explore some more Mizoguchi.

10. Sunrise - Note for #6 applies here, too.

11. My Darling Clementine - The ever-promising 3 F's: Ford, Fonda, and...Walter Brennan, I guess.

12. Stagecoach - Another, more obvious Ford. I've held off on this because the images I've seen make it look less visually striking than his later work, but that's not really fair, I guess.

16. Greed - I've never seen a von Stroheim film, and the story behind its production is fascinating, but I've never really been compelled to give it a go.

17. Amarcord – And I call myself a fan of Fellini.

19. Children of Paradise - I've avoided this based on the comparisons to Gone with the Wind, which I was less than enthused by, but on the list it goes. I'm finishing the TSPDT Top 100 if it kills me.

20. The Leopard – Ditto for #19.

Mission accomplished: The Godfather Part II - 9/10, Some Like it Hot - 9/10, The Battle of Algiers - 9.5/10, Double Indemnity – 9.5/10, Lawrence of Arabia – 9/10, Jaws - 8/10, Modern Times - 9/10, Nashville - 9/10, Bringing Up Baby - 8/10, Pather Panchali - 10/10

Also, man, you weren't kidding about The Ninth Configuration, penismightier. That was rough.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Aorist posted:

3. City Lights - I've only ever seen The Great Dictator, but it was years ago. Bad, I know. I do love Buster Keaton. *Have now seen Modern Times, as well

It's not a straight comedy like his other movies. More of a Romantic Comedy. Still great.

Barry Lyndon is very pretty to look at. Every scene feels like a painting, and everything and everyone fells perfectly in it's frame. Perfect photography in action here. The music is also beautiful. But I found everything else lagging beyond the imagery and music. By the end of it the character and the story just didn't grab me, and it kinda lost me. The stunning visuals and eye for detail kept me going for the three hours but I could not care less for Barry and his voyage, and class distinction in the 18th Century.

Still not the worst Kubrick. And now I seen them all! Party time. :toot:

My Shame List:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I know nothing of this one, other than it's famous.

Red Beard The last movie Kurosawa did with Mifune.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Suspicion Last Cary Grant-Hitchcock collaboration.(Actually the first)

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Bergman Chamber Trilogy.

Do the Right Thing Gus from Breaking Bad is in this.

Eraserhead Into the weird and bizarre.

Cross of Iron Down with the cowboy hat up with the soldiers helmet.

The Name of the Rose Sean Connery, Monk Detective.

Lost in La Mancha The horrors of cursed film making.

Have seen so far 94 movies: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, Ikiru, Brief Encounter, The Taking of Pelham 123, Annie Hall,The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover, Barry Lyndon.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 6, 2011

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Electronico6 posted:

Still not the worst Kubrick. And now I seen them all! Party time. :toot:

Even Fear and Desire? What did you think?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

caiman posted:

Even Fear and Desire? What did you think?

Yup even that one. lovely bootleg version though.

It's not good. Killer's Kiss is okay if a bit clumsy, but Fear and Desire is just not good. It's a B(or C) movie really. I could see this one be a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode. It's biggest problem, and the reason it's being "hidden" is that it was created by the guy that 10 years later would be making Dr. Strangelove.
It's a big idea and ambitious movie, made with no budget and by a very amateur Kubrick. There's that desire to make the best and most meaningful movie ever and even an early keen eye for camerawork, but the writing, acting and editing is a disaster. There's a good reason why he tried to delete this one from history.

If anything it's an interesting movie to watch as a curiosity object, just to see how one of the best filmmakers of all time started his career.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 6, 2011

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Okay I'm trying something new here to change things up a little. Plus I've had a lot of free time today.

erqa
Jan 20, 2010
The Manchurian Candidate! I enjoyed this one very much. I think you may have inspired me to rewatch it.

My review: Watched Fargo. It was alright, but it didn't really grab me. It was funny, and though I love a good crime drama, this just wasn't it for me. I'm kind of tired of watching Steve Buscemi play Steve Buscemi. Frances McDormand was a peach. Ultimately, however, I was bored. 3/5

My list:

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - I've seen Fitzcarraldo and Stroszek but otherwise haven't been hooked by Herzog.

Blade Runner - I started it once but fell asleep. I have it downloaded so an excuse to watch it would be nice. But maybe I'll just want to fall asleep again.

Repulsion - I probably fell asleep early into this one too. I love Polanski otherwise, but this never grabbed me. I need a kick in the rear end.

Suspiria - I am running out of anecdotes. I like horror films? Especially those involving covens of witches?

Rashomon - I really enjoyed Le Samourai which I gather is a lot like this? Never seen a Kurosawa film.

Lolita - I loved the book and have wanted to see the film, but the time's never been right.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I'm a noob.

Chinatown - I've had this around for awhile and have yet to watch it. As above, I generally love Roman Polanski. And I really love mysteries/thrillers/psychologically engaging films.

Little Otik - I've seen some of Svankmajer's stop motion work, but never a full-length.

Black Moon - I've watched four or maybe five Louis Malle films in the last month, and I need motivation to get into this. Like a few other up here, I started it and was kind of overwhelmed and bored.

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

bestericaever posted:

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - I've seen Fitzcarraldo and Stroszek but otherwise haven't been hooked by Herzog.

Watch this.

Watched Goodbye, Dragon Inn.

My Criticker review:

Jacques Tati in a coma. 65/100

As my criticker review is so short, I wanted to expand a little bit here, since this movie actually got me thinking about a lot of different things. If you haven't seen it, it is a film that takes place in a movie theater on their last night before closing down. The whole movie takes place within the showing of a single film, and follows the different patrons and employees of the theater as they wait for the end of the night. Nothing really happens in this movie. And I mean that much more literally than other movies where people complain that nothing happens. There is no plot, no story, no character development, all the shots are static and held for longer than could ever be necessary, and there seems to be no meaning of any sort.

And yet, I don't dislike the film for any of this. It got me thinking about the fine line between art and bullshit, and at what point does something go from being brilliant and important like, say, Tarkovsky or Bela Tarr, and meandering and meaningless, like this film. I don't know if the intent of the film was to make me examine my reasons for liking film in general, and trying to pull the rug out from under my favorite film-makers by pointing out that without all the bells and whistles, you really have nothing, or if the director genuinely believed that the events in the film were important enough to devote this sort of weightiness to something so minimal. Maybe I'm overthinking this...

The Wayward Cloud was one of my favorite accidental discoveries, so I know that Ming-Liang Tsai has the ability to make a compelling character-driven piece of art, so there must be something here. This film feels like a collection of appealing photographs that I'm being forced to stare at for much longer than they warrant, with any movement within the frame feeling entirely incidental. I'm probably giving it way more thought than it deserves, and being rambly and nonsensical, but if anyone else has seen it, give me your thoughts.

My list:

Last Year at Marienbad - I am generally meh on French New Wave cinema, but this one sounds interesting.

Ashes and Diamonds - Kanal was great. Should enjoy this.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100, Brand Upon the Brain!!: 90/100, Goodbye, Dragon Inn: 65/100.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

jonnykungfu- You get "Kagemusha", one of my favorite Kurosawa films.

Watched "To Kill A Mockingbird", having never read the book, and knowing nothing about it, I didn't know what I was in for (though had some idea it had to do with a lawyer). The movie was well done, the story was fantastic, and the characters were very memorable. Very much enjoyed it.

My new list:

1. 8 1/2:
Watched the first 5 minutes, and turned it off for some reason, I think I wasn't in the right mood that night.

2. The Lives of Others:
I have never heard of it before, but it appears to have a high rating on IMDB.

3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:
More Paul Newman

4. City Lights:
More Chaplin

5. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf:
Have no knowledge of this one.

6. Amadeus:
I know there are multiple cuts, so if you pick this please let me know which cut a first time viewer should see.

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

8. The Deer Hunter:
Just never saw it

9. Ben Hur:
Another long epic I'm afraid of

10. The Big Sleep:
More Bogey

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape, Cool Hand Luke, 400 Blows, Lawrence of Arabia, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Network, The Great Dictator, The Elephant Man, To Kill a Mockingbird

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zandert33 posted:

6. Amadeus:
I know there are multiple cuts, so if you pick this please let me know which cut a first time viewer should see.

Your current list has a lot I really like but I'll say this. I've seen the theatrical version 3-4 times and I'd recommend that. I haven't seen the newer version that has been released more recently.

The Hustler - My stepgrandfather was Wisconsin state amateur Pool champion a few times in the 50s so I thought about him a little when I watched this. He died in the late 1980s before I really got a chance to know him that well.

I liked the first 40 minutes with Fast Eddie vs. The Fat Man but I found the film played out in a depressing way. Newman's character has an interesting and uncommon character arc. By the time he's figured out the secret to winning he's been hurt and seems ambivalent to it.

IMDb list:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Looks like a Harry Potter film has entered the top 250. I guess I should watch the series. If younger I may have gotten into reading the books or watching the films. I remember being at someones house and seeing parts of the first one but I don't remember anything except some sort of flying soccer match and someone threatening his parents and sending them flying away (it's not surprising these are popular with the children). At least I'll start to understand the zillions of references thrown around the last decade. 8/4/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#197 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#210 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

#214 Barry Lyndon - I remember hearing about this when one of Ryan O'Neal's sons went onto Larry King Live and berated his dad for making him watch this. Ryan O'Neal gave his son some drugs so that he'd make it through the film. 8/4/11

new #217 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

caiman posted:

That's pretty cool. All that's missing is a video review and video recommendation via youtube.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Zogo posted:

It's better than snatch. Go watch it and have a good time doing so.

After another forever and a day, I finally got around to watching It Happened One Night. I thought it was cute, but it didn't strike me as something amazing. Just about on par with a lot of older classic romances. I was a bit surprised that both the leads, Clark Cable and Claudette Colbert won Oscars for their roles. I mean, they were good, but not outstanding. Maybe the other contenders that year were exceptionally weak.

Anyhow, my updated list:

1. Barton Fink - I'm actually a pretty big fan of the Coen Brothers so how this got away from me, I don't know.

2. Mad Max. Here's something interesting. I didn't know this was three movies. I thought they were all one movie. So if this isn't the first one, let me know and I'll watch the first one instead.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. The Seventh Seal. Have not one clue what this movie is about, who's in it, or who directs it, but it keeps popping up in everyone elses lists and the reviews people come back with are good, so I'm adding it.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Singing in the Rain. I love musicals and I hear this is the one to beat them all so I'm a bit ashamed this has always passed my by.

8. My Neighbor Totoro Don't know too much about this one. I like the director and enjoyed Spirited Away, so I'm hoping this one will be good.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. Bonnie and Clyde. Heard it was a pretty good farcical telling of the saga. Hope the cast is as awesome as people say.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It happened One Night

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 7, 2011

Suicide Mickey
Aug 25, 2010

Bodnoirbabe posted:

10. Bonnie and Clyde. Heard it was a pretty good farcical telling of the saga. Hope the cast is as awesome as people say.

By all means, watch this.

I read Ebert's review AFTER the watching the movie. He worried the movie may not feel as fresh and explosive to new viewers, as compared when he first watch it. Considering the brilliant movies that it influenced , effect on pop culture and that most people pretty much know the plot already. He was pretty much wrong. It's exceptional.

Two people deeply bored with life, the simmering tedium never far from the surface, who through providence/fate/luck found each other and found love. And, oh yeah, along the way they kill people.

Superb acting, great ensemble cast , an outsize story that IS personal and of course Faye Dunaway is sublimely beautiful.

My List

1. AntiChrist

Between work schedule and kids in the house, have not actually managed to finish this.

2. Double Life of Verinoque

Came highly recommended from that highly pretentious website - TSPDT

3. Les Eternals - Red

same as above

4. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Been in my collection forever. Johnny Depp and Hunter S. No excuse why I haven't watch this.

5. Ashes of Time Redux

Tony Leung Ka Fai, Leung Chi Wai, Leslie Cheung, Carina Lau and Maggie Cheung. And still I haven't watch the Redux version.

6. Seven Samurai

One of the most highly recommended movies ever. And Ran is on my top ten personal list. I haven't finished this. Watch it halfway and stopped. Not exactly boring, but not the brilliance I was promised. Someone, tell me I'm a philistine.

7.The Fighter

I'm not a sports movie fans , but Bale and Adams. Have potential.

8.Greenberg

Ben Stiller! Came highly recommended and again seems with potential.
Ben Stiller!!

9.Somewhere

Lost in Translation Part Deux?

10.One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Had this in my collection since I started having a collection. On every single great movie list. Still haven't watch it.

Jack Nicholson. Utter disconnect from reality or society. I think the reason people find him brilliant is that he can affect a semblance of humanity in his movies.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Suicide Mickey, watch Antichrist with your kids!

A Zed and Two Noughts was captivating from beginning to end. The score, the colors, the shot compositions all work together to create a unique experience. The plot was interesting, but confusing, and the ending was wonderfully ironic. 5/5

Safe
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I saw In the Mood for Love so long ago that I can barely remember it. I'm assuming it's not necessary viewing for this?.
I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.
Contempt
Blind Chance
Videodrome
The Belly of an Architect
Not sure where to go next with Greenaway.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

The Belly of an Architect
Not sure where to go next with Greenaway.

I'll let you continue your Greenaway exploration, because I don't really love any of the films on your list that I've seen.

Watched Kagemusha.

My Criticker review:

Slow, mostly quiet, and gorgeously photographed, this feels much closer to Greek tragedy or Shakespeare than Kurosawa's early fun samurai films. There is some amazing use of color and the mixing of mild surrealism with the complex historical storytelling makes for a rewarding and often amazing film. 90/100

My list:

Ran - This thread is making me fill in some of my Kurosawa gaps, so I'll keep throwing him in the mix. Also, I've heard it said that Kagemusha is basically a dry run for this. If so, count me in.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100, Brand Upon the Brain!!: 90/100, Goodbye, Dragon Inn: 65/100, Kagemusha: 90/100.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

jonnykungfu posted:

I've never even heard of any of the movies on your list, much less watched them, so I'm just going to pick the first one on it. Hope it's good.

Finished Bonnie and Clyde. I found it interesting, although nothing fantastic. Good movie all around, but a bit pointless and lengthy. I found myself getting distracted a few times. The acting was really well done, and I was surprised to see some faces I wasn't expecting, like Gene Hackman, Gene Wilder and that woman who played Roseanne's mom on Roseanne. All in all, I'm glad I watched it, but I really shouldn't have been ashamed that I hadn't until now.

My updated list:

1. Barton Fink - I'm actually a pretty big fan of the Coen Brothers so how this got away from me, I don't know.

2. Mad Max. Here's something interesting. I didn't know this was three movies. I thought they were all one movie. So if this isn't the first one, let me know and I'll watch the first one instead.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. The Seventh Seal. Have not one clue what this movie is about, who's in it, or who directs it, but it keeps popping up in everyone elses lists and the reviews people come back with are good, so I'm adding it.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Singing in the Rain. I love musicals and I hear this is the one to beat them all so I'm a bit ashamed this has always passed my by.

8. My Neighbor Totoro Don't know too much about this one. I like the director and enjoyed Spirited Away, so I'm hoping this one will be good.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. The Gold Rush. I've never seen a single Chaplain movie.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It happened One Night; Bonnie and Clyde

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Better educate yourself on some Bergman.

Watched A Man Escaped.

My Criticker review:

Likely the best prison escape film ever made. The minimalist, bullshit-free singular focus of the narrative makes for a very intense, compelling story. Even though you know what's happening (it's in the title), the way the story is told is exciting and unlike anything I've seen before. The ending is very moving, as well. 90/100

I also watched Last Year at Marienbad.

Review: A beautiful, labyrinthine mess. The most complex, yet meaningless film I've ever seen. 95/100

My list:

Ran - This thread is making me fill in some of my Kurosawa gaps, so I'll keep throwing him in the mix. Also, I've heard it said that Kagemusha is basically a dry run for this. If so, count me in.

Les Enfants Terribles - Melville plus Cocteau sounds awesome.

Yi Yi - I've started watching it a couple of times and, as stupid as it sounds, the music turns me off every time.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100, Brand Upon the Brain!!: 90/100, Goodbye, Dragon Inn: 65/100, Kagemusha: 90/100, A Man Escaped: 90/100, Last Year at Marienbad: 95/100.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

jonnykungfu posted:

Ran is much better than Kagemusha, and really the only Kurosawa post Mifune worth watching.(Other opinions are available)

Well I will defiantly see some parts of Eraserhead in my nightmares, a testament of how strong of a mark the movie can leave you with. What stands out for me is really the use of sound. Cause the weird and hosed up imagery wasn't enough, you have a plenty of weird and gross noises happening all the time, to keep you on the edge of your nerves. Yuck!
Though I quite enjoy it, if you can call it "enjoy", it's not something I look forward to rewatch. Quite disturbing.

My Shame List:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I know nothing of this one, other than it's famous.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

All the President's Men Eh Watergate....

Have seen so far 95 movies: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, Ikiru, Brief Encounter, The Taking of Pelham 123, Annie Hall,The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover, Barry Lyndon, Eraserhead.

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

Do it.

Watched Ran.

My Criticker review:

A refined version of everything that Kurosawa was doing in his past films. Gorgeous, enthralling, and epic King Lear adaptation. Amazing battle scenes, and beautiful moments of poetic melancholy. One of Kurosawa's darkest and maybe his best. 95/100

My list:

Yi Yi - I've started watching it a couple of times and, as stupid as it sounds, the music turns me off every time.

Lola Montes - Another Criterion sale blind buy. Sounds pretty awesome.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100, Brand Upon the Brain!!: 90/100, Goodbye, Dragon Inn: 65/100, Kagemusha: 90/100, A Man Escaped: 90/100, Last Year at Marienbad: 95/100, Ran: 95/100.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jonnykungfu posted:

Haven't seen any of your 10. Go with this.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - I did find it similar to Snatch. It had some funny dialogue and it was a little too silly at times. I liked the woman who kept emerging and submerging back into the couch.

Vas Blackwood stood out as an actor I hadn't heard of before.

IMDb list:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Looks like a Harry Potter film has entered the top 250. I guess I should watch the series. If younger I may have gotten into reading the books or watching the films. I remember being at someones house and seeing parts of the first one but I don't remember anything except some sort of flying soccer match and someone threatening his parents and sending them flying away (it's not surprising these are popular with the children). At least I'll start to understand the zillions of references thrown around the last decade. 8/4/11

#214 Barry Lyndon - I remember hearing about this when one of Ryan O'Neal's sons went onto Larry King Live and berated his dad for making him watch this. Ryan O'Neal gave his son some drugs so that he'd make it through the film. 8/4/11

#217 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

new #218 Mystic River - I vaguely remember seeing this reviewed. Something about a trial gone awry? 8/9/11

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Zogo, watch In Bruges.

The Belly of an Architect was a letdown after how great the other Greenaway's I've seen have been. The score was not nearly as good or prevalent, but many of his other traits were there. It had the symmetrical compositions, the characters had obsessive quirks, it got into art history, and it had the sort of detachment from the characters that I've seen in his other films. Unfortunately it just doesn't come together. 3/5

Safe
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I saw In the Mood for Love so long ago that I can barely remember it. I'm assuming it's not necessary viewing for this?.
Contempt
Blind Chance
Videodrome
Schizopolis
Sounds pretty wacky.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Videodrome

This is on my list so I will make you watch it.

Pather Panchali is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Despite being a low-budget debut effort, every element of this film is truly inspired. The graceful visuals, the wonderful music, the great acting, It's so easy to sympathize with every member of the family. I was absolutely blown away.

1. Pather Panchali Grand Illusion - Loved Rules of the Game, love anti-war films, this should be something I'll love too.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a good film.

5. Stagecoach - Had Rio Bravo here for a while, but I think this is a better pick for this thread.

6. Videodrome - I am intrigued.

7. Seven - Saw the ending on TV and didn't realize it, oh well. I should probably watch the rest of it.

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

10. Brief Encounter - Haven't seen that many movies from the 40's. A David Lean film that isn't a sprawling adventure sounds interesting.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93, The New World 86, Persona 81, Manhattan 86, Some Like It Hot 78, The Rules of the Game 91, Nights of Cabiria 75, The Graduate 89, Pather Panchali 96

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Go with this. I was going to recommend Videodrome, but seems a bit weird to recommend the same film twice.

New to this, let's do it.

The Saragossa Manuscript
Been in my DVD-bunk for over a year now. I need a excuse to watch this. I loved The Hour-Glass Sanatorium though, so I will probably love this too. Just need a kickstart.
Nosferatu
Need some more silent films on my resume.
Syndromes And A Century
Again, I just need a excuse to watch this. I loved the two other films I saw by Weerasethakul, so I have high hopes for this.
Barry Lyndon
The most beautiful film ever on blu-ray. Why haven't I watched this yet?
Lawrence Of Arabia
I never really get in the groove to watch films that are over 2 hours long. I need to do something about this.
Shock Corridor
Always thought this looked interesting. Will be my first Samuel Fuller too.
Full Metal Jacket
Never seen it, but it feels like I have due to everyone quoting Hartman's lines. Should probably just see it and get over it.
Red Desert
I really want to like Antonioni, but Blow-Up didn't really sell me on the guy. Maybe this one will?
Hour Of The Wolf
The Bergman-film I wanted to see before I became a major film buff and Bergman admirer. No excuse for this one either.
Blue Velvet
My dad's favorite film and my biggest hole in David Lynch's filmography.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Apes-ma, watch Blue Velvet, it (or Elephant Man) is my favourite David Lynch movie.

In the Bedroom is pretty terrific. It sets up the drama very well in the first 45 minutes by immersing the audience into the lives of these people. There is a constant sense of foreboding that is very effective.

As the parents grieve and see elements of their son in their everyday lives after he's murdered, I really liked the lack of flashbacks. There is only one use of it on the treehouse and it felt out of place. Other than that one brief shot it felt much more organic.

Tom Wilkinson and Sissy Spacek owned the show, though everyone was top notch. Outstanding movie that works with subtlety and quiet to create dread and emotional responses.

LIST O'SHAME

1)Cars - Only Pixar movie I have yet to see.

2) The Last Picture Show - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Brand Upon the Brain - Might as well give Guy Maddin a go.

4) Black Narcissus – I have never seen a Powell/Pressburger joint.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6)127 Hours – Only BP nominee from this past year I haven’t seen.

7)Double Indemnity – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) Point Blank - I'm reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls and it got mentioned. I always liked the look of it but never got around to it. Also have never really watched much Lee Marvin.

9)The Company of Wolves - Friend of mine lent me this some time ago, he tells me it's really good.

10)*NEW* A Woman is a Woman - A little more Godard would be nice.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ratedargh posted:

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

I saw the 135 minute version (the longer one). Newsweek calls it "A mini-Chinatown! Visually stunning and stylistically extravagant!"

Personally I call Chinatown a "mini-The Killing of a Chinese Bookie!"

In Bruges - Bruges rhymes with luge and rouge. This one was a little strange. I did like the first hour but I found myself not caring as to how it played out and it seemed for every funny scene there was a lukewarm/flat scene that was not that humorous. Also, I haven't seen this much dwarf humor since Living in Oblivion. Trivially, the dwarf in this film (Jordan Prentice) was one of those that portrayed Howard T. Duck in Howard the Duck.

These types of films I always measure up against A Fish Called Wanda.

IMDb list:

#217 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#218 Mystic River - I vaguely remember seeing this reviewed. Something about a trial gone awry? 8/9/11

new #219 Ed Wood - I've seen a few youtube clips from this and it seems funny.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Zogo posted:

I am so sorry.

Do The Right Thing is by no means a perfect film, but it did leave me thinking. Watched it last night and went to sleep over it, and I found myself still thinking over it and with it's image still well alive in my mind. Despite finding some moments of the film quite off putting(The three dudes sitting around just talking, some scenes with Radio Rahem, the ending(after the Dr. King and Malcom X picture) was also a bit ehhh), the whole film is quite powerful and Spike Lee's creative directing is fun to watch. Despite the serious subject and the depressing ending it's very entertaining all the way through.

My Shame List:

Have seen so far 96 movies: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, Ikiru, Brief Encounter, The Taking of Pelham 123, Annie Hall,The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover, Barry Lyndon, Eraserhead, Do the Right Thing.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 12, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
electronico, enjoy Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Death to Videodrome. Long live the new flesh! This was some great body horror, with some really good effects. The arc was similar to Scanners, but this was much more entertaining. Unfortunately the audio on the Netflix Instant version I watched was pretty terrible which caused some difficulty hearing some of the voices. 4/5

Safe
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Contempt
Blind Chance
Schizopolis
Sounds pretty wacky.
Strangers on a Train
Next on top 250 (besides Harry Potter)

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Picnic at Hanging Rock

A strange and meditative film.

Watched Les Enfants Terribles.

My Criticker review:

A bit too French, when you get right down to it. The characters are insufferable and the screenplay feels clumsy, but the cinematography is attractive, and some shots are just pure visual poetry. Not one of Melville's best, but further establishes Melville as a solid stylist. 60/100

My list:

Lola Montes - Another Criterion sale blind buy. Sounds pretty awesome.

Au Revoir Les Enfants - Another French film about enfants.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100, Brand Upon the Brain!!: 90/100, Goodbye, Dragon Inn: 65/100, Kagemusha: 90/100, A Man Escaped: 90/100, Last Year at Marienbad: 95/100, Ran: 95/100, Les Enfants Terribles: 60/100.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

jonnykungfu posted:

The only one I've seen. I thought the movie did nothing but crawl the whole time, but there's some fantastic and beautiful images here so I'm going to give it to you.

Feels like it's been a long time. I managed to knock out two others in addition to Diabolique.

First, The Conversation. A very interesting film, but a confusing one. And while some films confuse you and bring you along for the ride, I felt that this one lost me in it. From the beginning I got the feeling of one of those Disney attractions where you're in a dark room and you can only hear the story happening. Yet, as the film progressed a lot of dialogue was almost inaudible, which I can definitely see being deliberate, but it still annoyed me and made the film harder to follow. Still exciting & great acting.

I also watched Django, and drat this movie is loving awesome. From the opening shot you know this movie's just going to be fun, and while some of the stuff in the bar can drag, for the most part the movie brings out some of the most interesting stuff I've seen in a western. I loved this.

Diabolique. There was no reason for me to not enjoy this, great acting, writing, directing, and yet, I just couldn't get into it. I started and stopped this three times before finally watching the whole thing. I don't know what it was. A very fine film, but it never grabbed me for some reason, and I don't know why.

#65 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Promised a friend I'd watch this eventually. This is the first one in the series, right?

#71 The 39 Steps - I have a good amount of Hitchcock to start making up for.

#74 A Hard Day's Night - I do like The Beatles, and this is actually supposed to be really good.

#77 Bronson - I've been wanting to watch it for awhile now, but it looks like I'm not going to without that extra push.

#78 Rio Bravo - John Wayne was a terrible bigot. That's about my reasoning. Won't let that get in the way of some great films.

#79 Malcolm X - I read his autobiography not too long ago, so I'm interested to see how it gets dramatized. Also, it's over 3 hours long so that's kind of holding me back.

#81 Y Tu Mamá También - Going in blind.

#82 A Woman Is A Woman - I need to see some more Godard. I watched Alphaville and rewatched Breathless recently and am loving him.

#83 The Thin Blue Line - Socially conscious documentaries are always interesting...and educational!

#84 Harold And Maude - A lot of people like this movie. Maybe I will too.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth; The Wild Bunch; The Warriors; Chinatown; Dr. Strangelove; American History X; Barton Fink; Apocalypse Now; Eraserhead; The Maltese Falcon; Annie Hall; Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?; Casablanca; M; Seven Samurai; Terminator 2: Judgement Day; The Godfather; The Seventh Seal; Mulholland Drive; 2001: A Space Odyssey; The Silence Of The Lambs; Pee-Wee's Big Adventure; Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid; Wild Strawberries; High Fidelity; Goldfinger; The Bicycle Thief; The Thing; Bonnie And Clyde; There Will Be Blood; 8½; Spirited Away; The Big Sleep; A Fish Called Wanda; The Man Who Wasn't There; 12 Angry Men; The Elephant Man; Once Upon A Time In The West; Moon; The 400 Blows; Rosemary's Baby; City Of God; Dog Day Afternoon; Breathless; Saving Private Ryan; Network; Persona; Mean Streets; Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song; The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari; The Rules Of The Game; The Outlaw Josey Wales; The Killing; Punch-Drunk Love; Rebecca; La Strada; Bowling For Columbine; The Virgin Spring; Wild At Heart; Mad Max; Enter The Dragon; Aliens; Man Bites Dog; The Magnificent Seven; Peeping Tom; Labyrinth; I Am Cuba; Double Indemnity; Man On Wire; Metropolis; The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover; The Conversation; Django; Diabolique

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TrixRabbi watch The Thin Blue Line.

I really liked Punch-Drunk Love. The romance at the heart of the story isn't really done very well, it just sort of happens. But all the trouble Barry gets in makes for some great scenes. And for a romantic comedy, the visuals are really great. It's a very colorful film. Sandler does a very good job, but I think it's as far as he could go as a serious actor. Maybe he thinks the same way, since he really hasn't done anything interesting looking besides maybe Funny People since this.

1. Grand Illusion - Loved Rules of the Game, love anti-war films, this should be something I'll love too.

3. Punch-Drunk Love Memento - NOLAN NOLAN NOLAN

5. Stagecoach - Had Rio Bravo here for a while, but I think this is a better pick for this thread.

6. Videodrome - I am intrigued.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93, The New World 86, Persona 81, Manhattan 86, Some Like It Hot 78, The Rules of the Game 91, Nights of Cabiria 75, The Graduate 89, Pather Panchali 96, Punch-Drunk Love 87

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Atheistdeals.com posted:

1. Grand Illusion - Loved Rules of the Game, love anti-war films, this should be something I'll love too.

Most likely you will.

Quite enjoyed Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. Didn't know much about it other than the two main stars. I found that it started off funny, but as it progresses it got darker, more cynical and heavier, and at the end everything snaps and crashes down into a sad, though hopeful ending. Quite a voyage really. I would hazard if I go back to the beginning of the film it won't be as funny. Great performances too, only knew Taylor and Burton from the mighty boring, but very dapper, Cleopatra. Surprised really.

My Shame List:

Red Beard The only Kurosawa-Mifune collaboration I haven't seen.

Have seen so far 97 movies: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, Ikiru, Brief Encounter, The Taking of Pelham 123, Annie Hall,The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover, Barry Lyndon, Eraserhead, Do the Right Thing, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wool?.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 13, 2011

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
First, I owe the thread, as well as myself an apology for not keeping up with this. I’m gonna try to be better about watching the movies picked for me in a reasonable time.

Electronico, go watch All the President’s Men, it’s the only thing I’ve seen on your list, and despite having watched it in a pretty lovely setting (high school history class), I was still able to appreciate it. It’s pretty solid.

Anyway, I just watched Blade Runner. This is one of those movies that made me feel like a dumbass. I could tell there was more going on than what I was actually comprehending, but damned if I know what it was. I see there’s a thread discussing it now in CineD so I’ll check it out. But, I do believe that movies should stand on their own when it comes to critiquing and so I’m going to give it a decent review but not a great one. The lighting and cinematography were certainly of a quality that you don’t see all that often, so I’m comfortable praising this movie highly on its presentation alone. I have a feeling that once I read about it and check it out again later, I’ll like it more.

7.5/10

My New List:

1. *NEW* How To Train Your Dragon *NEW*

I avoided this mainly due to being a Pixar loyalist, but it may be nice to go on an animated "field trip". Also, the girlfriend wants to see it, so that’ll be fun.

2. Dr. Strangelove

I know it's kind of a big deal that I haven't seen this but I can sort of justify it as just never really finding Kubrick all that accessible. Also, this is another one of those movies that I watched in my childhood and didn't really take to.

3. Apocalypse Now

Another important one that I've missed. I love FFC and I'm sure I'll dig this once I give it a shot. Along with the challenge to watch this however, I'll want a recommendation as to which version to watch.

4. Raging Bull

I've only recently began enjoying Scorsese's work. I'm still sorta lukewarm on De Niro. I loved him in Taxi Driver and Deer Hunter but I've been severely underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I've seen him in.

5. Being There

I've only seen Sellers in straight up comedies like The Party and The Pink Panther flicks, I definitely want more Sellers.

6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I just saw Super 8 and it made really want to go back and watch more of the old school Spielberg stuff. I hear this doesn't really hold a candle to ET and Jaws, but I want to give it a shot anyhow.

7. The Thin Red Line

Haven't seen any Malick yet, and the trailer for the Tree of Life looked really god drat good. I'd like to be exposed to something of his before I check out Tree of Life.

8. The Bicycle Thief

Yeah yeah... I'm sorry world, I haven't seen it yet. I know, I'm a shitbag. Again, I've heard nothing but good things and I know it's a huge classic.

9. Crimes and Misdemeanors

I love comedy and I haven't seen nearly enough Woody Allen flicks. Not exactly sure how or why I've missed the boat on his stuff, but yeah. Definitely need more Woody.

10. Vertigo

I must have started and stopped this film so many times. I've never even had much an issue with it, it's just one of those films where I start it, get interrupted while watching it, and never get back to it. I just have to start it up, lock my door, and watch the drat thing already.

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10

Chili fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Chili, Crimes and Misdemeanors is one of Woody's best (though not one of his best comedies).

I was disappointed that I didn't like Picnic at Hanging Rock more. Its the kind of offbeat and original movie that I'm normally attracted to, but it just didn't come together for me, although I can't put a finger on why. 3/5

2046, on the other hand, was something that I expected to be dull, but I ended up loving. It started out very confusing, but eventually the characters came in to focus and I liked it more and more as it went on. The score was incorporated perfectly, and the cinematography (especially the disorienting use of mirrors) was wonderful. I definitely need to revisit In the Mood for Love now. 4.5/5

Safe
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Contempt
Blind Chance
Schizopolis
Sounds pretty wacky.
Strangers on a Train
Next on top 250 (besides Harry Potter)
Fallen Angels
Want to see more Wong Kar Wai.
Ghost World
Next on TSPDTs 21st Century list. Not sure I'm going to like this one.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5