Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

LloydDobler posted:

Are you talking about the overall cost of adoption or just the media price?

Retail price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

Steve Yun posted:

Retail price.
Depends on where you shop; for instance, on Amazon, Blu Rays are frequently priced lower than their DVD counterparts.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Weird Al Yankovic Live: The Alpocalypse Tour on Oct. 4th

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I think in the end BluRay will be the "collector" format existing alongside streaming for the mass-market in the same way LaserDisc was a "collector" format existing alongside VHS, which was good enough for most people. LaserDisc's reputation as a failure is unearned, it just wasn't dominant. The people who wanted it could get it, albeit at a higher price, but the manufacturers knew this and a lot of LDs were really good products. This time around, though, DVD has created enough new enthusiasts that the collector format will make a lot more money. I'm pretty much fine with this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's loving stupid, sorry.

Blurays fly off shelves and people are buying them up like crazy. It's not a fad like laser disc where the average person didn't even know what the gently caress it was. Blu is in peoples minds every day via ads, store promotions and more. HDTV's are being adopted like mad and are the only new tvs one can buy. They usually come with a free blu player too.

Anyways, any word on the quality of the new Conan blu?

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

Vintersorg posted:

See for yourself. Though Universal may have botched the audio mix in certain spots:

DVD Talk review posted:

UPDATED 8/4/11: A technical issue has been brought to my attention; specifically, several portions of the film that suffer from audio errors. These scenes (the initial attack on young Conan's village, the final battle, and several others) should have a choral section during Basil Poledouris' "Riders of Doom", but it had been mistakenly omitted from the new audio mix. This problem was also present on the UK Blu-Ray's English track earlier this year and has not been corrected for this release. Although my ratings and recommendation still stand, I felt it was necessary to inform buyers of this error. A region-free Hong Kong Blu-Ray (available here) does not appear to share the same fate.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

I think in the end BluRay will be the "collector" format existing alongside streaming for the mass-market in the same way LaserDisc was a "collector" format existing alongside VHS, which was good enough for most people. LaserDisc's reputation as a failure is unearned, it just wasn't dominant. The people who wanted it could get it, albeit at a higher price, but the manufacturers knew this and a lot of LDs were really good products. This time around, though, DVD has created enough new enthusiasts that the collector format will make a lot more money. I'm pretty much fine with this.
A large percentage of new releases are seeing the majority of purchases in the blu-ray format. Some releases, like Tron, have seen as much as 68% of total sales in blu-ray. It's not as strong as DVD was, this far into it's life cycle, but it's definitely far above a collector's market.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Green Vulture posted:

See for yourself. Though Universal may have botched the audio mix in certain spots:

Oh poo poo, I didn't see the dvdbeaver review up when I Google'd it a couple days ago, just some loony going over how much of a man he feels watching this. Thanks. :)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vintersorg posted:

That's loving stupid, sorry.

Blurays fly off shelves and people are buying them up like crazy. It's not a fad like laser disc where the average person didn't even know what the gently caress it was. Blu is in peoples minds every day via ads, store promotions and more. HDTV's are being adopted like mad and are the only new tvs one can buy. They usually come with a free blu player too.

People are buying them instead of DVDs - DVDs have old-format stink and streaming is still a pile of walled gardens for new movies. When the price and implementation of day-and-date HD streaming is right a lot of them will shift over to that. The people who are discovering Netflix now aren't going to want to gently caress around with discs when the One True Streaming Format comes around. There's a lot more diehards than there were 20 years ago, and it's a good thing because they'll be the ones buying BluRays.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Space_Butler posted:

A large percentage of new releases are seeing the majority of purchases in the blu-ray format. Some releases, like Tron, have seen as much as 68% of total sales in blu-ray.

Aren't these the dual-format dvd-blu ray combo packs though?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Green Vulture posted:

It supposedly also features a day-for-night scene with the night filter removed, making it appear in full daytime. This kind of poo poo used to happen all the time with low-budget schlock films on DVD, but what the hell, this is Conan for god's sake.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Prof. ClumsySmurf posted:

I hate that film so much.

Yeah, I understand. It's got a silly plot and hokey dialogue, and the characters are all hilariously one dimensional. But are you denying that it is drop dead gorgeous?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, I understand. It's got a silly plot and hokey dialogue, and the characters are all hilariously one dimensional. But are you denying that it is drop dead gorgeous?

Paging SubG to the blu-ray thread...

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

scary ghost dog posted:

Yes I am. I think it's hideous.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Speed Racer could be improved vastly by editing out every scene with the kid or chimp. It's not even that visually impressive any more either.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Conversation preorder went up today on Amazon. $17.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005FUTBZA

scary ghost dog posted:

Is it gorgeous or does it just have a insane color palette?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I searched and went back a month's worth of pages, so forgive me if this is an old deal.

There's a collection of Costco-exclusive Pixar movies. They come in a box with the Blu-Ray, a packet of "lithographs" (one each for every Pixar movie except Cars 2), a reusable sticker book, and a little hard back book that is like a companion to the movie for kids. The titles they did were Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Wall-E, Up, and Monsters Inc. Originally they were $30, then dropped to $20. We picked up a bunch for ourselves and as gifts for $10 each tonight.

The four disc edition of Up, which is the one that comes in the Costco edition, is $32.99 on Amazon currently. Other than the lithographs, the extras are pretty much for kids or hyper anal collectors, but they are great gifts for any kids in your family or if you just don't have these movies yet.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 8, 2011

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Speaking of CostCo, they also have a double pack of Godfather 1 & 2 for $18, which is what each individual movie currently costs on Amazon. From what I've heard, missing out on the third one might be a good thing...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Phantom of the Opera - Nov. 1

This is the 1925 silent and will be the "Blackhawk Films" edition. The 1929 version will be in 1080p with options to view at 24fps and 20fps, multiple scores, the 1925 cut (16mm sourced) in SD, and other extras.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Prof. ClumsySmurf posted:

Yes I am. I think it's hideous.

ahahahaha okay

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sporadic posted:

Is it gorgeous or does it just have a insane color palette?

It's gorgeous. I don't mean the effects are especially well done or the color palette is especially well selected, I mean that stylistically it is stunning to watch. Speed Racer is the movie that convinced me that a movie without any characters can still be a good movie.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 8, 2011

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

david_a posted:

Speaking of CostCo, they also have a double pack of Godfather 1 & 2 for $18, which is what each individual movie currently costs on Amazon. From what I've heard, missing out on the third one might be a good thing...
Godfather III is not bad but not great. The story is decent but the biggest problem I had was the characterizations. Michael was early 1990s overacting Al Pachino. And after the events of II, the idea of Michael and Kay palling around in Italy didn't work for me at all.

Still, worth it to see Michael dying along in 1997.

The rumored 4th movie sounded somewhat more interesting although a weaker retread of II (Vincent's actions bringing down the Corleone dynasty with flashbacks to the 20s-30s of Vito building it up).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Godfather 3 is awful. Awful awful awful. It's another third movie I didn't even finish, along with Alien3.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some cool news.

quote:

Best Buy apparently continues to secure timed exclusives on Blu-ray. On September 25th, the retailer giant will have on its shelves three new catalog titles from Paramount Pictures: David Zucker's The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988), John Hughes' Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987) and Jim Abrahams and David Zucker's Airplane! (1980). Disc specifications and special features are still to be announced.

I'm glad to see Planes, Trains & Automobiles get a release.

david_a posted:

Actually, you can get the same bundle from Amazon for a dollar more. Paramount has been bundling and re-releasing alot of movies lately (off the top of my head, Braveheart/Gladiator and Trading Places/Welcome To America received the same treatment)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00511N7BW

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Green Vulture posted:

Though Universal may have botched the audio mix in certain spots:
There's a bonus track on the new re-recording of the Conan score that's an instrumental version of Riders of Doom and it's weird and wrong without the choir. The rest of the soundtrack is baller though.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Rumor time! According to the blu-ray.com forums, Best Buy will be exclusively selling How To Train Your Dragon, Megamind, and Monsters Vs Aliens 3D blu-rays on September 6. Previously, these were only available if you bought Samsung 3D "starter kits" during certain periods.

In related 3D news, Best Buy will exclusively be selling 3D blu-rays of the following Disney movies on November 8th:
- Bolt
- Chicken Little
- G-Force
- Meet The Robinsons

There's also rumors that Disney is prepping 3D re-releases of Pixar films such as Up and the Toy Story movies, with the possibility of remastering previous Pixar films into 3D that were only released in 2D prior (though these would be rare examples of conversions being ok, since the raw 3D data is in the shots themselves).

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Speed Racer could be improved vastly by editing out every scene with the kid or chimp. It's not even that visually impressive any more either.

I don't know, man. The jump cut from some serious scene to the one where they're going loving nuts on that cart in the car factory or whatever (I didn't pay much attention to the plot) had me laughing so hard that I had to pause the movie to collect myself.

Anyone got a gif of that, by the way?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sporadic posted:

Actually, you can get the same bundle from Amazon for a dollar more. Paramount has been bundling and re-releasing alot of movies lately (off the top of my head, Braveheart/Gladiator and Trading Places/Welcome To America received the same treatment)
Oh. I didn't even think to search for the bundle on Amazon... $1 is still something I guess. I'll go back to lurking now :silent:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

david_a posted:

Oh. I didn't even think to search for the bundle on Amazon... $1 is still something I guess. I'll go back to lurking now :silent:

Not that big of a deal, buddy :) The warehouse club stores do package their own bundles some times.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

dreadnought posted:

I don't know, man. The jump cut from some serious scene to the one where they're going loving nuts on that cart in the car factory or whatever (I didn't pay much attention to the plot) had me laughing so hard that I had to pause the movie to collect myself.

Anyone got a gif of that, by the way?

The kid and monkey were the only characters who weren't boring me to sleep.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some Like It Hot dropped to $10.49 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004TJ1H1E

- edit And the preorder price on Jackie Brown dropped to $10.49 while Pulp Fiction went up to $15.99.

Sporadic posted:

A bunch of cheap preorders just popped up on Amazon.

Pulp Fiction - October 4 - $13.99 $15.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001AQT0Z4

Jackie Brown - October 4 - $13.99 $10.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001AQO3YW

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 9, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino's Buster Keaton Shorts set is down to $28 on Amazon.

One of the essential releases of the year.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Any word on the new Echo Bridge Dead Man disc? I can't find any reviews anywhere, but at $7.99 I might buy it anyway.

Yes, I realize the fact that I even mentioned Echo Bridge means I should probably steer clear, but I really like the movie.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

RichterIX posted:

Any word on the new Echo Bridge Dead Man disc? I can't find any reviews anywhere, but at $7.99 I might buy it anyway.

Yes, I realize the fact that I even mentioned Echo Bridge means I should probably steer clear, but I really like the movie.

People at Blu-Ray.com are reporting that it is already on the shelves at Best Buy (-edit Didn't notice that today is its release date)

DrAndonuts posted:

Found this at Best Buy today for $7.99.

The disc is 1080p. The PQ has a huge amount of noise, but it looks fair. Audio is DTS-HD 2 channel. It also has some bonus features, which I didn't expect - some deleted scenes and a music video.

Overall, it's one of the better Echo Bridge releases I've seen, but not great. It's worth the 8 bucks.

ckyrico posted:

I give the PQ on the Echo Bridge BD 3/5. A lot of digital noise in low-light scenes (black screens look almost like a VHS transfer), but it's still a good upgrade from the DVD to have. I'm happy to have it.

DVDActive posted:

Filmed in black and white, Dead Man looks the best it ever has in this 1080p release from Echo Bridge, but that isn’t necessarily saying a whole lot. This is a meagre, single-layered BD-25. While the higher resolution leads to a noticeable boost in detail, I couldn't help but feel that this could potentially look much crisper. Contrast levels are slightly lower than the Miramax DVD. According to the IMDb, the original film negative was 35 mm, but this Blu-ray image looks closer to something I’d expect from a 16 mm film. I found myself yearning for a layer of fine grain over the picture, but instead there is a soft foggy look to all of it. Detail on close-ups of faces are stronger, but still soft overall (see the fourth screen cap). There are also some minor cases of image flicker and telecine wobble. The box simply advertises an “English 2.0 Stereo” track, but I was delighted to find that it’s a DTS-HD Master Audio option on the disc. I’m not sure why they decided to go with a stereo mix instead of the 5.1 surround sound on the DVD, but the Blu-ray sounds just fine. Voices are reasonably clear. Dead Man, like many of Jarmusch’s films, is relatively modest in the technical department. The incredible soundtrack from Neil Young is the real highlight of the film’s audio, and it sounds great in stereo on this Blu-ray. Extra features match the DVD with 15 minutes of Deleted Scenes in standard definition, and a music video set to scenes from the film. I've added screen captures from the Miramax DVD so you can compare the two. At $7.99 USD, this release is a decent upgrade from the DVD, but some fans may want to hold out hope for a more robust release with new special features.

screenshots = http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/echo-bridge-technical-review.html

For $8, seems like it would be a good buy if you are a fan of the movie.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 10, 2011

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks a lot for the info. I got pretty nervous when I saw that Echo Bridge was involved. It's hard to get mad about $8 though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What're the chances of there being a better blu for Dead Man?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just got Blues Brothers and Fast Times at Ridgemont High for $24.98 at Amazon.

Aww hells yeah.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Giorgio Moroder cut of Metropolis coming soon

edit: Forgot link title. :downs:

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 12, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Let me just click this random link with no context.

This is about Giorgio Moroder's Metropolis coming out on Blu from Kino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Giorgio Moroder cut of Metropolis coming soon

edit: Forgot link title. :downs:

Got to be honest, that sounds horrible. Why is it such a good thing?

• Locked thread