Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Winds of Winter book one: the first book ever to be printed on pizza crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009

Iggles posted:

IIRC it is a bit more obvious, I'm sure Euron actually mentions the "three-eyed crow".

I tried to read through the Euron chapters, but I couldn't find it. This is gonna sound dumb as hell, but could the stone dragon in the prophecy just mean Dragonstone?

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

oogyboogs posted:

I tried to read through the Euron chapters, but I couldn't find it. This is gonna sound dumb as hell, but could the stone dragon in the prophecy just mean Dragonstone?

I could and there are stone dragons built into the walls of dragonstone.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

The ship sunk. It was a red herring, just like the perfumed adviser guy. The perfumed seneschal is probably Varys or a Maester.

I disagree. You think that someone magically got some face to face time with Dany who is in some other part of the world where thousands of people are trying to kill her and then they waste time by telling her by telling her to beware a dude with perfume? All the men in the east wear perfume. It makes perfect sense as a ship name. Nobody knew Aegon would turn around. And consider the wording of the quote:

“No. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.”

If he knows about the Kraken, which is obviously Victrarion, and the lion Tyrion, and the Sun's son Quentyn, and the Griffon Conntington of Griffon's Roost then he should know about Aegon. Trust no one, even your supposed relatives.

The Mummer's dragon is likely Aegon. He's a supposed dragon and it seems that Varys had a hand in his education and Vary's was a Pentoshi mummer in his youth.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 6, 2011

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Rosscifer posted:

“No. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.”

If he knows about the Kraken, which is obviously Victrarion, and the lion Tyrion, and the Sun's son Quentyn, and the Griffon Conntington of Griffon's Roost then he should know about Aegon. Trust no one, even your supposed relatives.

The Mummer's dragon is likely Aegon. He's a supposed dragon and it seems that Varys had a hand in his education and Vary's was a Pentoshi mummer in his youth.

Who is 'dark flame'?

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

ineptmule posted:

Who is 'dark flame'?

Stannis or Melisandre?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The dark flame seems obvious as Moqorro. He's described as having deeply black skin and fire tattoos on his face.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 6, 2011

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
You could also read it as Blackfyre which would fit with some of the theories from earlier that Aegon is actually a Blackfyre, not Targaryen.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It seems more obvious as Moqorro and R'hllor. Which gives more evidence that the Lord of Light isn't actually a force for good at all.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Telling someone with a predisposition toward paranoid insanity that they should beware and expect betrayal from a long list of ambiguous codewords seems like the opposite of helpful. What has Quaithe done for Dany that was unambiguously helpful? What are her motives?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Calef posted:

What has Quaithe done for Dany that was unambiguously helpful? What are her motives?
Telling her to go east was a good thing. It made her decide to Learn How To Be A Queen instead of rushing into Westeros with baby dragons and getting slaughtered by mostly united factions.

I don't really buy into the "beware everyone" prophecy though. Tyrion isn't any kind of threat to Dany. He's basically powerless to plot against her, and she's his best chance at getting Casterly Rock.

Maybe the Lion refers to somebody else. Didn't Tyrion have an uncle who went to Valyria to search for a Valyrian steel sword? Maybe he'll show up in some form. Who knows. Martin loves to trick us, I think it's too straightforward to be all "beware Tyrion he is bad (the reader knows he's pretty much not)".

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I'm afraid of Martin suddenly having characters thought to be lost making surprise comebacks. Oh look it's the Stark the sailed off and never came back! And the Lannister that did the same! And Darkstar (which would actually be okay)!

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Given that he fake-kills characters all the time during the period that the books cover, it does make sense that he'd fake-kill characters that "died" before the books started.

But yes I agree characters shouldn't appear out of nowhere.

I'm okay with Aegon because he's such an obvious red herring that won't accomplish much.

Just because Rhaegar says "his is the song of ice and fire" and "the dragon must have three heads" doesn't mean he couldn't have misinterpreted the prophecy like everyone else. Dany's is the song of ice and fire, and the three heads do not include Aegon.

I'm stickin' with that. You'll see I'm right in 2045 when the last book is published.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
The only thing Aegon could do to make me enjoy his arc is get infected with greyscale by Connington.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Okay, so who exactly is the perfumed seneschal? Was it the boat? Illyrio? or was it that one guy who actually was a perfumed seneschal (jizzface mo cocksuck or some other ghiscari name I can't keep track of)?

Also, can I start complaining about winds of winter in this thread?

Wartooth
May 31, 2011
I just realised.

The War of The Roses was fought between House Lancaster and House York. The York symbol was a white rose and the Lancaster rose was red. :psyboom:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

uh zip zoom posted:

Okay, so who exactly is the perfumed seneschal? Was it the boat? Illyrio? or was it that one guy who actually was a perfumed seneschal (jizzface mo cocksuck or some other ghiscari name I can't keep track of)?

No one knows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I'm afraid of Martin suddenly having characters thought to be lost making surprise comebacks. Oh look it's the Stark the sailed off and never came back! And the Lannister that did the same! And Darkstar (which would actually be okay)!

I think it's possible they may see remnants (eg, Euron finds the remains of the Lannister fleet in Valyria) but Bloodraven aside there haven't really been any mortals that have appeared that are older than about a hundred years or so.

Speaking of Valyria, I know it's probably just a volcanic wasteland but I really hope Dany or someone goes over there to investigate, because I want to see more of the ruined civilization(s) than GRRM has shown (and I think the map Dany gets of an intact Valyria is a future hint at that).

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

withak posted:

No one knows.

Yeah, Martin loves to have characters spout ambiguous prophesies or warnings and then make a ton of different people/events kind of sort of fit them, that's why people have made arguments for half the main cast being Azor Ahai or whatever the gently caress. It's set up so we can't know for certain until after the fact*.

*Which is never, Winds of Winter is not coming out.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Every time Dorkstar comes up I'm amused by all the hate people have for him. I'd actually forgotten he existed till I read this forum and only vaguely recall his part in that book. So could someone sum up why he seems like the most hated character in the grumiverse?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

whoda thunkit posted:

Every time Dorkstar comes up I'm amused by all the hate people have for him. I'd actually forgotten he existed till I read this forum and only vaguely recall his part in that book. So could someone sum up why he seems like the most hated character in the grumiverse?

Seriously. Apparently he was some huge failure of a character but while reading AFFC I had no idea that he was ever supposed to be more than some dumbass jerk who panicked and got violent when their Myrcella plot fell apart. Was he publicized as being a badass before AFFC came out? :confused:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I think I might be the only one that likes the Aegon plot. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I'm anticipating a huge battle to come from it. I want to see the Golden Company plus Dorne fighting the Lannisters and Tyrells or something.

The whole plot to me seems to have the most potential for another big war scenario where there are a bunch of armies all moving around trying to outmanoeuvre each other. I think that War of the 5 Kings is my favourite part of the series so far.

I'm also really looking forward to the Sansa/Davos chapters next book. It'll be interesting to see how LF's plans to have Sansa rule the North for him are impacted by Rickon being discovered as 'true' hier to the North.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

A Typical Goon posted:

I think I might be the only one that likes the Aegon plot. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I'm anticipating a huge battle to come from it. I want to see the Golden Company plus Dorne fighting the Lannisters and Tyrells or something.

The whole plot to me seems to have the most potential for another big war scenario where there are a bunch of armies all moving around trying to outmanoeuvre each other. I think that War of the 5 Kings is my favourite part of the series so far.

I'm also really looking forward to the Sansa/Davos chapters next book. It'll be interesting to see how LF's plans to have Sansa rule the North for him are impacted by Rickon being discovered as 'true' hier to the North.

Yes, they're actually doing poo poo, unlike many other characters.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

^^^^^^^

Even if Aegon is 'fake', he seems like a Cool Dude and I'm rooting for him to gently caress poo poo up in Westeros. How awesome would it be if he unites Westeros under the Targ banner, he slays Dany and her dragons, and then we find out he isn't even a real Targ.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Winds of Winter book one: the first book ever to be printed on pizza crust.

With accompanying ASOIAF Cook Book - NOW FEATURING MANDERLY PIES and CANDIED LOCUSTS

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Whilst and amongst are not anachronisms though, they are in everyday common usage in the English speaking world. That you are ignorant of that doesn't change it.
This is why you need to expand your vocabulary, so that you don't end up chucking a tantrum over the correct and appropriate use of perfectly normal words in books, and subsequently look like a spanner.

Both the posters you quoted have explained that they both know that the words exist and know their meaning... they aren't complaining that Martin is using words that they don't understand.

Martin, an American writer, is inserting British quaint-sounding words to make the books read as "olde tyme" to his audience.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
If Aegon, Victarion and Bronn turned out to be the three heads of the dragon, I wouldn't be upset in the slightest and would take back every negative thing I've ever said about GRRM.

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

Adama posted:

Martin, an American writer, is inserting British quaint-sounding words to make the books read as "olde tyme" to his audience.

Marin, writing in English, sometimes uses old English words and phrases because medieval England is a big influence on the setting of the series. A series which features guys in suits of armor riding on horses with swords and lances. If you don't like an author trying to conjure up images of "ye olde tymes" you might want to start with the knights and castles, not the use of "whilst" once every 50 pages. But then I don't get why this is a complaint at all. Do people seriously want the book to read like any novel set in present-day America, complete with modern language and phrases?

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

Curl_like_smoke posted:

Marin, writing in English, sometimes uses old English words and phrases because medieval England is a big influence on the setting of the series. A series which features guys in suits of armor riding on horses with swords and lances. If you don't like an author trying to conjure up images of "ye olde tymes" you might want to start with the knights and castles, not the use of "whilst" once every 50 pages. But then I don't get why this is a complaint at all. Do people seriously want the book to read like any novel set in present-day America, complete with modern language and phrases?

yeah dog I want to see Tyrion superman those hoes

VVVVVVVVVV
e: oh my b holmes

Mr.Brinks fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 6, 2011

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think it's spelled dawg.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Wartooth posted:

I just realised.

The War of The Roses was fought between House Lancaster and House York. The York symbol was a white rose and the Lancaster rose was red. :psyboom:

Yeah, GRRM has said that's what the books are based on.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

YES bread posted:

The only thing Aegon could do to make me enjoy his arc is get infected with greyscale by Connington.

Aegon gets to be the mummer's dragon AND the stone dragon.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
No Aegon you can only be one dragon you have to choose

But MOM

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Sir_Vondruke_IV posted:

I think it's specifically the war between the Starks and Lannisters in A Game of Thrones. After that there isn't much similarity apart from the House names.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I think it's specifically the war between the Starks and Lannisters in A Game of Thrones. After that there isn't much similarity apart from the House names.

What, the dragons weren't a big enough of a give away?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Mr.Brinks posted:

What, the dragons weren't a big enough of a give away?

Hey, maybe people thought the War of the Five Kings was based on something.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Sir_Vondruke_IV posted:

Yeah. And the "historical" (in-world) Dance of the Dragons is pretty overtly The Anarchy, to go along with the whole Targs as the Normans/Angevins thing.

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Curl_like_smoke posted:

But then I don't get why this is a complaint at all. Do people seriously want the book to read like any novel set in present-day America, complete with modern language and phrases?

What books have you been reading, because language-wise ASOIAF most definitely reads like any novel set in present day.

Martin's usage of "ye olde English" is almost an after thought, peppering modern language with anachronistic words.

An author that wants to use the words "poo poo" and "oval office" needs to make a decision on the tone he wants his work to have. Those words don't sound nature beside any of his various antiquated-sounding words.

The medieval term for "oval office" would be "no thing"!:eng101:

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
The thing you're missing is this doesn't take place in Medieval Europe.

It takes place in a fictional world with a fictional language.

In this world people say "I must needs find my breeches, Nuncle" and "Let me feel your oval office".

Martin has made a decision on the tone he wants his work to have. He is pretty good about sticking to it. He's actually not a bad writer in that he knows how he wants to convey his ideas and mostly succeeds at doing it.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Adama posted:

An author that wants to use the words "poo poo" and "oval office" needs to make a decision on the tone he wants his work to have. Those words don't sound nature beside any of his various antiquated-sounding words.
According to the OED oval office dates to the 13th century and poo poo the 16th which would make them fairly antiquated

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
People assume that nobody knew any curse words until after the Victorian era because they are entirely ignorant of human history and like to weigh in on things like "what sounds correct in a fictional novel" despite knowing basically nothing about neither language nor novels.

Whoa that came out pretty harsh. I'll lighten this post up with a smile :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Adama posted:

What books have you been reading, because language-wise ASOIAF most definitely reads like any novel set in present day.

Martin's usage of "ye olde English" is almost an after thought, peppering modern language with anachronistic words.

The medieval term for "oval office" would be "no thing"!:eng101:

Your post is entirely wrong. It's quite magical.