Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Moey posted:

I wonder what 577:192 makes me? :ohdear:
An alien. Or possibly Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Moey posted:

I wonder what 577:192 makes me? :ohdear:

It's not 16:9 so you're cool.

That's what it makes you, cool.

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

edit: double post

leisure no capi fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 6, 2011

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

So, I pulled the trigger on a u3011 recently, but Dell hosed up my order and went through a customer service nightmare. As a result I canceled my order.

At the end of the day I'm glad I did, because I'm considering the ZR30w.

I'm under the impression the ZR30w is MUCH better for PC gaming. I have no interest in plugging in my PS3 or anything in, but I do have a PC and a mac mini so I was looking forward to the on-screen display system the U3011 has to switch between computers easily.

But at the end of the day, PC gaming is the priority here. So going with the ZR30w is the real move here, right?

I play high APM RTS and fast paced FPS games like tf2, and bfbc2.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

leisure no capi posted:

So, I pulled the trigger on a u3011 recently, but Dell hosed up my order and went through a customer service nightmare. As a result I canceled my order.

At the end of the day I'm glad I did, because I'm considering the ZR30w.

I'm under the impression the ZR30w is MUCH better for PC gaming. I have no interest in plugging in my PS3 or anything in, but I do have a PC and a mac mini so I was looking forward to the on-screen display system the U3011 has to switch between computers easily.

But at the end of the day, PC gaming is the priority here. So going with the ZR30w is the real move here, right?

I play high APM RTS and fast paced FPS games like tf2, and bfbc2.

Yeah, the ZR30W will have less input lag. I've got the U3011 myself, and I guess I'm a scrub enough gamer that I haven't run into issues with lag.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

movax posted:

Yeah, the ZR30W will have less input lag. I've got the U3011 myself, and I guess I'm a scrub enough gamer that I haven't run into issues with lag.

Why will the ZR30W have less input lag, out of curiosity?

e: Another question I have is if there's any benefit to HDMI over DVI, aside from having audio included in the HDMI pipeline.

HE ON THE TOILET fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 6, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

leisure no capi posted:

Well, the U3011 has a latency of about 23ms, while the ZR30W has a latency of about 12ms. Both are considered "playable" numbers, so whether or not that's enough to really matter to you is going to end up being a personal thing. It certainly isn't enough to impact any RTS, and 10ms is pretty small, even for FPS games. Your call on that one, though. Similarly with the anti-glare coating: the Dell one is a bit more aggressive than the HP one, which is either a good or bad thing depending on your personal preference.

The ZR30W is a little cheaper, but loses the extra ports and the card-reader. Still, if your PC can do DisplayPort out, you can do HDMI -> DVI out from the mac-mini and be done with it. All in all I wouldn't call it a slam-dunk victory for the ZR30W, but there are enough points in its favor that no one could say you were making the wrong choice. Of course the same can be said if you stayed with the U3011.

Sorry if this wasn't as definitively helpful as you'd like.

e;

HE ON THE TOILET posted:

Why will the ZR30W have less input lag, out of curiosity?
One of the most reasonable theories is that because the HP has no OSD or scaler of any sort, and much more basic color modes/processing, it can save some time by simply not doing any of that. The Dell, by comparison, has a scaler unit and a bit more going on in the color category, and even when it's not doing anything fancy, just running through the circuitry takes a little time.

HE ON THE TOILET posted:

Another question I have is if there's any benefit to HDMI over DVI, aside from having audio included in the HDMI pipeline.
Absolutely none. They are literally the same video signal, just with different plugs on the ends. Which is why the adapters from one to another are like $1.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 6, 2011

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

DrDork posted:

Well, the U3011 has a latency of about 23ms, while the ZR30W has a latency of about 12ms. Both are considered "playable" numbers, so whether or not that's enough to really matter to you is going to end up being a personal thing. It certainly isn't enough to impact any RTS, and 10ms is pretty small, even for FPS games. Your call on that one, though. Similarly with the anti-glare coating: the Dell one is a bit more aggressive than the HP one, which is either a good or bad thing depending on your personal preference.

The ZR30W is a little cheaper, but loses the extra ports and the card-reader. Still, if your PC can do DisplayPort out, you can do HDMI -> DVI out from the mac-mini and be done with it. All in all I wouldn't call it a slam-dunk victory for the ZR30W, but there are enough points in its favor that no one could say you were making the wrong choice. Of course the same can be said if you stayed with the U3011.

Sorry if this wasn't as definitively helpful as you'd like.

e;

One of the most reasonable theories is that because the HP has no OSD or scaler of any sort, and much more basic color modes/processing, it can save some time by simply not doing any of that. The Dell, by comparison, has a scaler unit and a bit more going on in the color category, and even when it's not doing anything fancy, just running through the circuitry takes a little time.

Absolutely none. They are literally the same video signal, just with different plugs on the ends. Which is why the adapters from one to another are like $1.

No, this is the best piece of info I have been able to put together in the last couple days. Thanks so much.

While I would love the on screen display from the Dell and the port flexiblity, I can make due with the HP. Seems like the HP is the right fit for me.

Again, thanks so much.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

HE ON THE TOILET posted:

e: Another question I have is if there's any benefit to HDMI over DVI, aside from having audio included in the HDMI pipeline.

DrDork posted:

It's also worth noting that DisplayPort operates exactly like HDMI does, audio pipeline and all. The two are virtually singal-compatible, even.

All of this being said, it's worth noting that for some applications (like plugging a console or a cable/satellite box in to a monitor) the audio portion of the HDMI signal is goddamned handy, since it can basically turn your monitor into a TV for many functions. A Dell Ultrasharp with a soundbar is p. much a television, good sound quality and all, when you plug devices into the HDMI and DisplayPort ports; the only thing it lacks is RCA jacks for the audio portion of composite/component A/V input, which remains a personal bugbear of mine. :argh: If you're after just video, though, DVI is exactly the same as HDMI.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Doublepostin'~, but there is something from last page I wanted to get a word in on.

Rookersh posted:

I don't really care about size or anything here, my main focus is on a good monitor I can use for gaming ( but I don't need a monitor built for gaming, just one that can be used for it without strain. ), doesn't get black bars on ports, and will last me a year or so. From what I gathered in the OP, that means 23/24"? If I'm wrong, correct away and give me some better options here, I'll be happy to know I'm totally wrong.

I feel the need to hammer home what Movax said: a monitor isn't like a video card or something. Approach buying a monitor like buying a television - ideally, it's an investment that should last you a decade or more without issue. That's why I invested in an Ultrasharp, I intend on using this into the 2020s unless we all become energy beings or the world blows up before then or whatever. That's also why it can be worth it to sink a bit more than $200 into this, especially for a primary monitor for your recreational desktop - you are going to be using this thing a lot, so it's worth getting an item of quality.

The ASUS is probably what you're after of the two you listed, but you may want to think hard about exactly what you want out of a monitor and how long you're going to use it. A good monitor will last you a dog's age, so it can be worth it to throw down the extra money for something nice.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

Doublepostin'~, but there is something from last page I wanted to get a word in on.

I feel the need to hammer home what Movax said: a monitor isn't like a video card or something. Approach buying a monitor like buying a television - ideally, it's an investment that should last you a decade or more without issue. That's why I invested in an Ultrasharp, I intend on using this into the 2020s unless we all become energy beings or the world blows up before then or whatever. That's also why it can be worth it to sink a bit more than $200 into this, especially for a primary monitor for your recreational desktop - you are going to be using this thing a lot, so it's worth getting an item of quality.

:highfive: bro. I used a Dell P991 for nearly ten years and a few Sony FW900s for eight years, and those CRTs STILL work, they are just in storage. To this day, you could buy a HDFury adapter to keep it compatible with digital display standards. Do not be afraid to spend coin on a monitor Rookersh, it's not like a GPU or something that's going out of date due to tech advancements.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Does poo poo like the Cirago HydraDisplay X3 actually work?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Sinestro posted:

Does poo poo like the Cirago HydraDisplay X3 actually work?
I don't see why not. The DisplayPort protocol allows for multiple monitors to be driven off of one source port via daisy-chaining; that sort of trick was why DisplayPort went with a packet-based transmission method. Considering the price, it's entirely believable that they packed in the required circuitry to fake 3 monitor sinks.

Also the one NewEgg review for it says it works fine on a MBP, so there's that.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

SpaceDrake posted:

ideally, it's an investment that should last you a decade or more without issue. That's why I invested in an Ultrasharp,

My 2001FP Ultrasharps are at 6 and 7 years old. I don't think they'll make the decade mark since 24" are getting cheap enough to make upgrading fairly cheap, but there's still not anything of the same size that would tempt me.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Has anyone bought a Displayport cable from Monoprice lately? Because the last DP-to-mini-DP cable I bought in May was the 3rd defective one in row, and I'm not about to pay $30 for a Belkin because some retard messed up the pinout on a 500,000 or so DP cables

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Has anyone bought a Displayport cable from Monoprice lately? Because the last DP-to-mini-DP cable I bought in May was the 3rd defective one in row, and I'm not about to pay $30 for a Belkin because some retard messed up the pinout on a 500,000 or so DP cables

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

I bought 3 of those exact cables about a month ago and none of them have any issues for me :\ I use them to plug my Dell 30" into my iMac via the Thunderbolt ports.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Anyone familiar with the Dell Professional line? I'm looking at the P2411H 16:9 TN Widescreen 24". It's $240 (w/ tax and shipping) after a $90 coupon. A 16:10 Ultrasharp would be nice, but the 24" U2412M is $400 + tax so that's a pretty big jump up in price. Not a gamer, just movies, youtube, and programming.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I bought a StarTech Mini-DP to DP Cable so I could do the reverse, plug my Latitude E6400 into an iMac and it didn't work. I thought it was some strange Apple issue with Target-Display mode. Turns out, the Displayport on the E6400 was bad, confirmed by testing other E6400s which worked fine. A motherboard replacement and all is fine and dandy, nothing was wrong with the cable.

I'm not sure how this helps you really, but it's worth checking into I guess.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

How's the build quality on Hazro monitors? The price is great but I am worried if there's an issue I will lose the difference shipping it back to the UK for servicing.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mouse Cadet posted:

Anyone familiar with the Dell Professional line? I'm looking at the P2411H 16:9 TN Widescreen 24". It's $240 (w/ tax and shipping) after a $90 coupon. A 16:10 Ultrasharp would be nice, but the 24" U2412M is $400 + tax so that's a pretty big jump up in price. Not a gamer, just movies, youtube, and programming.

Not too familiar with it, but it seems to be your average TN panel, the shortcomings of which are detailed pretty well in the OP (I think). Briefly, it'll get the job done for what you describe, but won't have the greatest viewing angles (as you move side-to-side or up-to-down, the screen will start washing out) or color reproduction. That price isn't bad though for a 24" screen.

e:

quote:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&seq=1&format=2

Holy poo poo, you too? I went through four Mini-DP to DP from Monoprice, not a single one would work consistently with my 2010 MacBook Pro and my U3011.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I had to RMA a Startech mini-dp to dp cable here in the UK... Perhaps the entire product range has a defect.

I did have a better track record than you guys though. 2 out of 3 worked.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

movax posted:

Holy poo poo, you too? I went through four Mini-DP to DP from Monoprice, not a single one would work consistently with my 2010 MacBook Pro and my U3011.
I've been using a miniDP to DP cable about 3 ft long with my U2711 monitor just fine. I guess I got lucky buying it around the March 2011 timeframe.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

So how about these cheap 1920x1080 resolution 27" LCD's. Do they have huge lego-sized pixels like my friend keeps telling me or are they just fine? I don't have any stores nearby where I could check some out.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
They have Lego-sized pixels. Some people aren't bothered by it though. Personally I can't stand it, even 24" with 1920x1200 seems to have borderline huge pixels after a few months on a 27" 2560x1440 monitor.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Decius posted:

even 24" with 1920x1200 seems to have borderline huge pixels

I was actually thinking this, with my new Dell U2410 next to my Dell 2007wfp. Sure, the difference isn't enormous, but 20" @ 1680x1050 (99ppi) has noticeably smaller pixels than 24" @ 1920x1200 (94ppi). Of course my old laptop, 15.4" @ 1920x1200 shits on them (147ppi). We want higher densities drat it!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 8, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Elos posted:

So how about these cheap 1920x1080 resolution 27" LCD's. Do they have huge lego-sized pixels like my friend keeps telling me or are they just fine? I don't have any stores nearby where I could check some out.

My dad bought one, Samsung Syncmaster. Mom loves it since she can run her stock trading stuff on it with no eye-strain while still surfing the net on the 24" display. (That's right, I got my parents doing multi-monitors :smugdog:)

It all depends on what you're used too, what kind of monitor/resolution do you have right now?

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

movax posted:

My dad bought one, Samsung Syncmaster. Mom loves it since she can run her stock trading stuff on it with no eye-strain while still surfing the net on the 24" display. (That's right, I got my parents doing multi-monitors :smugdog:)

It all depends on what you're used too, what kind of monitor/resolution do you have right now?
1680x1050 22"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What I want:

27"+

IPS

2560 x 1440/1600

Glossy or a not horribly obvious AG coating

Decent response time for gaming

Do I have many real options? I'm using a U2410 now but the ag coating makes everything look slightly off and the response time isn't exactly fantastic. I was considering the U2711. How does the coating and response time of that compare to the U2410?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Do I have many real options? I'm using a U2410 now but the ag coating makes everything look slightly off and the response time isn't exactly fantastic. I was considering the U2711. How does the coating and response time of that compare to the U2410?
The AG coating is pretty uniform across the entire Ultrasharp lineup. What you see on the U2410 is pretty much what you'll get on the U2711, and the input lag is almost twice what the U2410 in game mode is (about 30ms vs 15ms)

27", unfortunately, seems to occupy something of an odd spot in the market, and is not particularly well served. You're mostly limited to the U2711, the ACD 27" (which has its own downsides), some Hazro monitors (if you're in Europe), and a mess of TN panels. If you're willing to step up to 30", life becomes a lot better for you, and there's the ZR30W that I can happily recommend you, which keeps most of the good features from the U2410/U3011, but scales back the price and AG coating, as well as having a better response time than the U3011 (about 12ms vs 24ms). Downside is no scaler (so no using it for anything other than as a PC monitor), and minimal inputs.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Elos posted:

1680x1050 22"

The pixels are going to be around 20% bigger. It's kinda hard to convey without just having two monitors with different DPIs you can look at.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Kilometers Davis posted:

What I want:

27"+

IPS

2560 x 1440/1600

Glossy or a not horribly obvious AG coating

Decent response time for gaming

You want a Hazro, they are actually a great deal too because you don't have to pay tax and shipping to the U.S. is free. As far as I know these are the only Glossy IPS monitors around besides Apple's.

http://www.hazro.co.uk/HZ27WC.php

surrender903
Dec 22, 2006
U2 Fan
Pillbug
Im thinking of getting a 27" and upgrading thedual setup with my 20"/17" that I have right now. Im using a GTX 260. Would the card be powerful enough to handle that? Ditch the second monitor if I go with a 27" ?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Great deal on a U3011 in SA-Mart.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does anyone know how I can keep track of u2311h (Dell) prices? I want to get a second one.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

kri kri posted:

Does anyone know how I can keep track of u2311h (Dell) prices? I want to get a second one.

I think you can setup price alerts on Slickdeals, that's probably your best bet. People usually post in this thread pretty quickly about sales though I've found.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

pokecapn posted:

The pixels are going to be around 20% bigger. It's kinda hard to convey without just having two monitors with different DPIs you can look at.
I guess I'll have to postpone my purchase until I can check this out.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

kri kri posted:

Based on the recommendations in this thread I ordered one on ebay, new, overnight shipping $250. Seemed like a reasonable price, how cheap do they get?

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

In shame of selling my U2711, I may be picking up a U3011 here on SA-mart.

I just have a quick question. I'm using my experience with the U2711 as a benchmark to see if I would feel any input lag with the 3011 (since I did not with the U2711) and I'm seeing a few conflicting reports. While Anandtech rates the U2711 with a 15 ms response time, significantly higher than the U3011, (http://www.anandtech.com/show/2922/4), tftcentral gives it a 30 ms rating which is actually lower than the 3011 (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm).

Anyone know what could be the cause for the variance?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sleepness posted:

Anyone know what could be the cause for the variance?

Possibly because Anand compared relative to another LCD whereas TFT central still uses a real CRT as the basis of comparison.

As a U3011 owner though, I play plenty of FPSes and haven't noticed/been put off by input lag. I use my nvidia GPU scaling when needed as well, not the display's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

movax posted:

As a U3011 owner though, I play plenty of FPSes and haven't noticed/been put off by input lag. I use my nvidia GPU scaling when needed as well, not the display's.

Thanks movax. I decided to bite the bullet and buy it. Can you expand a little bit on what you mean by GPU scaling and what it does? When I owned my U2711 I never changed any settings within my nVidia control panel.

sleepness fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 9, 2011