Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Is anyone else going to nats? Early registration discount ends on Friday...

if you haven't been.. imagine 1200 AI goons in the middle of an airfield autocrossing on some of the best courses you've ever driven. Much booze is consumed, and much Four Square is played.

Did i mention it's a week long? and the welcome dinner is held in speedway's motorsports museum? yeah, it's pretty awesome if you're a cone dodger.

shane86 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The idea of it is fun and I'd love to go, but a guy locally drove his ITR a few years ago and brought 21 wheels with A6s on them. gently caress that.

That and he got DQ'd along with half of the ITRs on the field due to some gasket around the airbox missing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phone posted:

That and he got DQ'd along with half of the ITRs on the field due to some gasket around the airbox missing.

That is the problem, they hyper competition. It would be more fun if people cared slightly less about getting a trophy for running around a parking lot fastest.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

Phone posted:

The idea of it is fun and I'd love to go, but a guy locally drove his ITR a few years ago and brought 21 wheels with A6s on them. gently caress that.

I was there that year, They DSQed the ITRs over that? i thought they threatened it but then gave a group "just don't do it next year"

Some people come crazy equipped, and others just pull a run-what-you-brung kinda event. My car's still a somewhat under prepped, and i'm not sure i'll have the budget for fresh tires and the event... i'm going anyway for the fun.

and on that note, ITRs are ridiculous to make nationally competitive. they EAT tires like crazy to be fast. 21 wheels is overboard though.

nm posted:

That is the problem, they hyper competition. It would be more fun if people cared slightly less about getting a trophy for running around a parking lot fastest.

People think that, but unless your in the trophies or really close, or just plain blatantly breaking the rules, you won't see much bullshit.

The ITR gasket thing was because i believe 2nd place was an ITR. Basically a K&N or other popular aftermarket air filter wouldn't fit with the foam around the edges of the air box in place. Stock class is supposed to be unmodified cars. if you can't make the filter fit without modifying any parts, it's not a legal filter.

Problem on that one was when a protest like that comes down the line, especially in stock classes where modifications are pretty uniform, they start to look at other cars for reference

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
From what I can remember, there was a gasket that goes around a part of the box that holds the air filter and this was all pre-MAF. I'll see if I can dig up some articles about it.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn
The hyper serious/competitive thing is why I don't go to my local SCCA autocross. They are insane, their tech inspection is extremely involved and the people there are so :spergin: it's unbelievable. They also make sure to put as many "options" (two options for a corner, one is always obviously faster than the other so it's stupid) as possible in the course.

My local miata club autocross is full of chill guys who just want to have a fun and safe day ragging on their cars. Their parking lot is also adjacent to a wide variety of food (within walking distance), while the SCCA's main lot is next to the state police headquarters and prison.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Any local Southern AZ goons going to the Marana meet tomorrow? It's looking like it's going to be a fun course and a cool-ish summer day so you won't bake as a worker. Look for the short, Charlie Brown looking guy driving the Yaris if you do. Should be a blast!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Podothehobbit posted:

Any local Southern AZ goons going to the Marana meet tomorrow? It's looking like it's going to be a fun course and a cool-ish summer day so you won't bake as a worker. Look for the short, Charlie Brown looking guy driving the Yaris if you do. Should be a blast!

Car is in the garage on jack-stands partially disassembled, so I won't be down there tomorrow. Have fun, weather looks like it might be pretty damned nice (for July in Marana anyway).

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Anyone know what clubs run in San Diego? I'm most likely going down there in the first week of august to pick up an AE86 from my brother's friend. So I figured that I'd see if there were any events while I was down there.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Just woke up at 5:30am on a Sunday to stand in 100 degree heat all day for 5 minutes of driving action :thumbsup:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

chem42 posted:

Just woke up at 5:30am on a Sunday to stand in 100 degree heat all day for 5 minutes of driving action :thumbsup:

No fun runs at the end? I'm usually well past 8minutes of seat time then. :smuggo:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NinjaTech posted:

Anyone know what clubs run in San Diego? I'm most likely going down there in the first week of august to pick up an AE86 from my brother's friend. So I figured that I'd see if there were any events while I was down there.

The events there are spread among several clubs, but they keep a coordinated calendar and work together.

Go here - http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

chem42 posted:

Have fun, but that's a big reason I mainly do HPDEs now. ;)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

DogDodger posted:

The increased level of expense and risk makes a difference for many people. Autocross may not be the cheapest per minute of seat time, but it's much cheaper overall per 'event'. On the risk side, it's fairly unlikely that I do more than break something on the car at an autocross, and wear items (like brakes/rotors) last seasons, rather than days. Concrete walls and other cars are not part of the risk assessment at an autocross.

Having said that, if my income were somewhat higher, I'd do more HPDE's.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Yep, I agree. Return on investment is lower at an autocross, but so is the total invested. You're right that the risk is also less. I only know of one car being severely damaged at a local autocross: a guy driving his C5 Z06 in its first event lost control, hopped a curb, and flew into a building. Also, for competitive people autocross provides that rush.

I definitely wasn't saying it's not fun, just a personal preference. :)

Edit: And where else could these guys have legal fun? I took these shots at the last local event.

The closest kart track is hours away from here.

DogDodger fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 24, 2011

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

The Locator posted:

The events there are spread among several clubs, but they keep a coordinated calendar and work together.

Go here - http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/

Thanks. It looks like there aren't going to be any events while I'm down there. :(

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Another fun event day in Marana as usual. We had a pretty big turnout as quite a few guys from Phoenix showed up this time. I'm thinking a lot of the guys are getting sick of the Firebird skidpad and Marana seems to be picking up steam.

Here's some dumb guy driving a dumb car -->
http://youtu.be/8JXKW7K1qHw
Those RS3s are a bunch of whiny bitches on turns though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, aside from the roadcourse layouts, I really, really like the look of the Marana layouts. Unfortunately it does mean that an already time-consuming activity takes even more time.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

coinstarpatrick posted:

The hyper serious/competitive thing is why I don't go to my local SCCA autocross. They are insane, their tech inspection is extremely involved and the people there are so :spergin: it's unbelievable.

DogDodger posted:

This is one of the reasons I don't autocross locally anymore either. Spokes Autocross has some really wonderful people in it and I love hanging out with them and talking shop and a lot of them are close personal friends.

That said, it's tough competing in a local event with multiple national championship winners. When you're always racing against people like Andy Hollis, it's a supremely humbling experience. Plus, these guys drop thousands of dollars into their cars, even specifically buying certain year models and option packages because that's the only way to be competitive. It ends up being a massive black hole for your bank account.

I just don't have the time and money and desire to be nationally competitive, but I really hate losing, so I just stay home or do track days instead. Dollar for dollar, I get more seat time, and with the massive amount of money required to compete even locally, track days end up having less money invested too.

Also, if you live in Texas, it's likely your insurance policy covers you at an HPDE.

einTier fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 25, 2011

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I thought insurance covered pretty much any HPDE since it's "driver education"?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
You wreck your car at an HPDE and they'll call it racing.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Joe Mama posted:

Well if they do you just need to educate them :eng101:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Joe Mama posted:

For some insurance companies, the factor is whether or not it's timed. If it's not timed, regardless of speeds reached, it's driver education.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

Those RS3s are a bunch of whiny bitches on turns though.

What pressures were you running vs. what were you running in the previous tires?

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I thought insurance covered pretty much any HPDE since it's "driver education"?

Read your policies.

Progressive insurance clearly states that if the accident occurs on any surface that was prepared or used for any kind of racing, you're out of luck.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
State Farm as well, but Lockton Affinity has HPDE policies that you can buy per event or annually. You tell them the worth of your car, and they calculate a premium based on that as well as the organization, track, run group, etc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Texas and NC both have prescribed insurance policies that don't have exclusions for HPDEs. The insurance company might (read: will) give you a hassle, but they are required to cover it.

For my R-S3s I found 36psi on my 15x7s to be the sweet spot. 40psi was way too high and loose and 34psi was absolutely a dog in a mildly prepped CSP Miata. I'm actually surprised as to how well the R-S3s hold up compared to R-comps; I know I can't beat 275 A6s but I'm not like 4 seconds down.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

DogDodger posted:

State Farm as well, but Lockton Affinity has HPDE policies that you can buy per event or annually. You tell them the worth of your car, and they calculate a premium based on that as well as the organization, track, run group, etc.

Out of curiousity, how much do those run for, say, a $40k vehicle?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

shodanjr_gr posted:

Out of curiousity, how much do those run for, say, a $40k vehicle?

About $260
http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx?cID=3
Closer to $100 for my car, think I may have to start doing this. Very high deductible though, think it is 10%

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Went to my first autox in the S2000. Tons of track time, only 23 cars showed up so we got in 17 runs and the course was 75 seconds for slow fucks like me or 62-66 for the FFR cobras. Definitely a bit of a change coming from karts and actual track, most of my problems were staying in way too close. After an instructor gave me a ride in his viper and showed me how much extra room I had with the right line I managed to pull a time good enough for a novice class win by about a second out of my rear end. I had him sit in for the next several laps and managed to beat that time by another second but he found my foot of clearance on cones to be a bit excessive so I downed 5 to appease him.

Aftermath of me "showing those cones whose the goddamn boss":

I took a few to the passengers side door going way too deep or turning too early.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 7, 2011

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I used to autox a lot in Missouri in the Kansas City area in my 1993 RX-7 and we had a great scene up there. Had a mom/son team in matching Evos, old Datsuns, Miatas, seen cops out there in uniform gun and all racing. Pretty sure I have seen all type of odd combos on that tracks up there, was a blast and finally got to see other (all though very few) RX-7 owners.

Now I moved to north Texas, Wichita Falls area and we have no local autox. Other than the Dallas/Fort Worth area, which is a good 2 1/2 hrs away in a car with no AC is rough as hell. Looks like my autox days are done untill I get orders out of north TX.

We have a really safe track worse I have seen was during a ride along in a FC RX-7 the battery came lose in a tight turn and tore up the engine a bit as it bounce around. Another time a first timer ran over the box at the finish that stops the time sending it flying away 300+ ft and took about 45 mins to reset/fix.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Went autocrossing for the first time on Sunday. It was a ton of fun and I'm definitely going again. Have to work on my technique, though. I was ~70.5 versus the 59.XX that was quickest. No pictures, but highlights for me were the FFR Cobra (god the sound) and the Mini that were there.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Rythe posted:

and finally got to see other (all though very few) RX-7 owners.

You can't expect them to work all the time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

We had a 2 day event in Taylor this past weekend. 12 runs on Saturday, 11 runs on Sunday.

Here is the Saturday AM course, 6 runs on this.

http://vimeo.com/27467505

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Here's an autocross video I just finished. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjearTKquGg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjearTKquGg

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

We had a 2 day event in Taylor this past weekend. 12 runs on Saturday, 11 runs on Sunday.

Here is the Saturday AM course, 6 runs on this.

http://vimeo.com/27467505

I've lived in AZ my entire life and I had to map where the hell Taylor is. That is a long way to go for some cone-killing but I bet it was a lot nicer up there, and that track layout looks awesome.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've lived in AZ my entire life and I had to map where the hell Taylor is. That is a long way to go for some cone-killing but I bet it was a lot nicer up there, and that track layout looks awesome.

We try to do two events up there each summer, so that we can get the heck out of the Valley, enjoy great weather, oh, and have a 2 day autocross as a bonus. A bunch of us had dinner together Saturday evening, and a few of us tried out a nice little Italian place on Friday night too.

It's really not that bad of a drive either, it's 210 miles from my house, and I live WAY out west of Phoenix, so it's anywhere from 130-170 miles from town for most people, or about an hour more than Marana (at least for me). Making it a two day event makes the drive much more bearable, combined with lots of runs, and it's just a great fun autocross weekend.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Was autoxing yesterday, this time in the miata rather than the old sunfire. What a difference! I improved by 7 seconds from my first to last runs, but man do I need new tires. I was running them at ~23 PSI in the front, 25 in the rear, because anything higher and the fronts wouldn't turn in. I'm pretty sure the sidewalls are the only part of those tires left with any grip... Star Spec's next summer. :D

If anyones in the ottawa area and hasn't heard of motorsports club of ottawa, https://www.mco.org I suggest checking them out. Great group of people, tonnes of events from atuox to lapping at calabogie at pretty good prices overall. They also set me up with one of the guys who instructs for their lap days to help me out, which was awesome. I let him do a run in the miata so I could feel what is should be like; and I managed to get within ~1.5 seconds of his time. Fun day all around, can't wait for the next one :D

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
One of my buddies dinged the timer box Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcC_XTrgBQ

I was supposed to be co-driving that car (B16 turbo SMF Civic), but work wouldn't get the hell out of the way. I let him run on my tires so he could get an idea of what he was missing out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
One of the faster autox guys here bombed the slalom heading up to the stop box on Saturday, grabbed a cone under the front lip of his car and fired it at the timing gear, knocking it over.

It was actually really impressive to watch.

At the same event, I discovered the Hankook Mileage Plus II tires that came with my Outback Sport basically give you no indication of when they're going to give up traction because they never stop squealing and only the shoulder and sidewall ever get warm. I've never had tires squeal at half throttle before. I should've swapped on the RS3s from the WRX I usually run with.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 23, 2011

• Locked thread