Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wait, the radial is already spinning... I've got an idea...

(I think it sold for something like $200k at auction recently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cygni posted:

Wait, the radial is already spinning... I've got an idea...

(I think it sold for something like $200k at auction recently)

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!

coolest scooter ever.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Saw this the other day, made me chuckle.

30 years of progress at Bagram Airfield.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slo-Tek posted:

Saw this the other day, made me chuckle.

it has to be easier to start missions without deciphering a code word in Cyrillic, at least

but not as fun

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Slo-Tek posted:

That's pretty great. The Su-25 is a cool bird.

Comically large russian missiles spotted.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The A-10 and Su-25 may be the coolest modern aircraft of all, because most of them are painted like it's 1943.

Everything else is gray, unless they are at an airshow.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Not sure it belongs here, but I'm pretty sure I now know what I want my roof to be made of.

http://www.fubiz.net/2011/06/27/747-wing-house/

Not that I will ever be able to afford one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not convinced that having your roof be an actual airfoil is a good thing.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Phy posted:

I'm not convinced that having your roof be an actual airfoil is a good thing.

Flip it upside down, that poo poo ain't goin' nowhere.

Ballcock
Jul 1, 2005

Safety Control Rod Axe Man
Should be okay as long as there's no angle of attack.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

InitialDave posted:

The Right Stuff for, well, everybody. It's still awesome.

Toward The Unknown for us fans of the XB-51.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

quote:

CMP - Command Module Pilot
CDR - Commander
LMP - Lunar Module Pilot

CMP - Yes, that's what I was talking about just a minute ago. It's kind of hard to believe that that's volcanic and formed by some faulting, isn't it? I don't believe that - but it's such a perfect straight line.

CMP - Hope none of those meteors come by right now.

CMP - Let me look through the sextant, Neil.

CMP - Well, where's the freaking earth going to be now? I'm confused.

LMP - In plane, I hope.

CDR - How are you doing on your roll there?

LMP - Well, we got about another 60 degree to go. When's AOS?

CDR - 15 - we're 7 minutes away.

CMP - God, look at that moon!

CMP - Fantastic. Look back there behind us, sure looks like a gigantic crater; look at the mountains going around it. My gosh, they're monsters.

CDR - See that real big - -

CMP - Yes, there's a moose down here you just wouldn't believe. There's the biggest one yet. God it's huge! It is enormous! It's so big I can't even get it in the window. You want to look at that? That's the biggest one you ever seen in your life. Neil? God, look at this central mountain peak.

CDR - Look at the ... Did you get some pictures of that?

CMP - Yes, I just took one. Can take another one here when he gets around a little better. It's fantastic!

CDR - That's kind of a foggy window.

CMP - That's a horrible window. It's too bad we have to shoot through this one, but - Oh, boy, you could spend a lifetime just geologizing that one crater alone, you know that?

CDR - You could.

CMP - That's not how I'd like to spend my lifetime, but - picture that. Beautiful!

LMP - Yes, there's a big mother over here, too

CMP - Come one now, Buzz, don't refer to them as big mothers; give them some scientific name.

LMP - It sure looks like a lot of them have slumped down.

CMP - A slumping big mother. Well, you see those every once in a while.

LMP - Most of them are slumping. The bigger they are, the more they slump - that's a trusim, isn't it?

LMP - That is, the older they get.

The Apollo 11 transcript and audio archive is hilarious, amazing and is going to ruin the productivity of this week.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/apollo11_audio.html

edit: it's from the middle of this clip: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/history/apollo/apollo11/audio/11_highlight_3.mp3

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 8, 2011

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
It's not apparent at first read that by "moose" he means "great hulking thing", specifically the mountain. I thought the CMP was leading on the LMP as a gag, with the CDR in on it.

That made it even more amazing.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Revolvyerom posted:

It's not apparent at first read that by "moose" he means "great hulking thing", specifically the mountain. I thought the CMP was leading on the LMP as a gag, with the CDR in on it.

That made it even more amazing.

gotta conserve syllables in space!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

:black101:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

:toot:

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

Delta a330 or 747-400 (former NWA business class seats). Soon to go way of the dodo

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Delta's all about the cattle class?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PatrickBateman posted:

Delta a330 or 747-400 (former NWA business class seats). Soon to go way of the dodo

The former; snagged an A330 repositioning flight for SLC-ATL on Monday.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
DL is moving everything to the lie flat beds like on the 777. Kinda glad, I always slid down the seat on the whale. wasn't fully lie flat, but still nice.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PatrickBateman posted:

DL is moving everything to the lie flat beds like on the 777. Kinda glad, I always slid down the seat on the whale. wasn't fully lie flat, but still nice.

I haven't been on any of Delta's other BusinessElite aircraft; I liked that the A330 had adjustable thigh support, missing from KLM WBC and the AA 767 that had an International Business Class seat.

Unfortunately, the power port only provided enough power to operate my MacBook, not charge it, so I had some awkwardness running it without the battery, and they don't put wifi on international planes since it only works CONUS for now.

Revel in my first world problems.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

BonzoESC posted:

Economy class. Alliance Airlines (a small regional airline that charters to Qantaslink) Fokker F100, exit row. That's my legs stretched out as far as I can to touch the rear strut of the seat in front. I'm 6 foot tall.

Normal rows are also very good for leg-room too, but the exit row is insane. I had to lean forwards even to reach my tray table properly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PatrickBateman posted:

NWA business class seats
They certainly seem to have enough room for you to express yourself.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

InitialDave posted:

They certainly seem to have enough room for you to express yourself.

Being a suburban teenage white boy in the 90's, it was fun to meet up with former friends at reunions and say I worked for NWA. They were all "really? Thinking the rap group" yea the airline. Oh. Still got some NWA business cards here somewhere.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nam Taf posted:

Economy class. Alliance Airlines (a small regional airline that charters to Qantaslink) Fokker F100, exit row. That's my legs stretched out as far as I can to touch the rear strut of the seat in front. I'm 6 foot tall.

Normal rows are also very good for leg-room too, but the exit row is insane. I had to lean forwards even to reach my tray table properly.

I'm a big fan of the exit row seat on Southwest that has nothing in front of it:

Delta has these too; the only non-upgraded flight during my July-August vacation had me in the legroom seat MSP-MCO.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

BonzoESC posted:

I'm a big fan of the exit row seat on Southwest that has nothing in front of it:

Delta has these too; the only non-upgraded flight during my July-August vacation had me in the legroom seat MSP-MCO.
I love that seat; I beeline to it every chance I get. Once, I had that seat with nobody else in my row and nobody in the rows immediate in front or behind me.

Still doesn't make up for all the times flying cattle coach on massive-long 12 or 14 hour flights with my knees pressed painfully by the seat in front of me, and elbows over the armrest and into mine. There really need to be laws passed on minimum seat sizes; business class should be standard. And 8 flights with no meal service because they're a "domestic" flight? Inhuman. At least I've got enough FF miles on American and Delta to get their economy plus/premium/whatever seats that have slightly more legroom. gently caress united, btw; I flew 50,000 miles with them in 14 months and they refused to give me their 25,000 mile tier because the flights spanned 3 calender years. Actually, gently caress American and Delta, too, they all suck in their own special ways. USAir can kiss my rear end, too; at least the other airlines will honor seat reservations and not surprise you when you arrive at the airport with a middle seat at the back of the plane when you had reservations for a window/aisle up near the front made a month prior.

I do like that several of the airlines flying A380s have installed bars and lounges that conjure up visions of the promise of flight everyone dreamed about when the 747 was new...

grover fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 12, 2011

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
UNCOMFORTABLE AIRPLANES WITH poo poo SERVICE

Was supposed to have two flights in one of these, but US Failways needed to maintain their 50% failure rate and cancelled the flight; my coworker and I (both from Florida, never having driven in freezing conditions) had to drive two hours in freezing rain in an awful rented 2007 Hyundai Sonata.

grover posted:

I love that seat; I beeline to it every chance I get. Once, I had that seat with nobody else in my row and nobody in the rows immediate in front or behind me.

Still doesn't make up for all the times flying cattle coach on massive-long 12 or 14 hour flights with my knees pressed painfully by the seat in front of me, and elbows over the armrest and into mine. There really need to be laws passed on minimum seat sizes; business class should be standard. And 8 flights with no meal service because they're a "domestic" flight? Inhuman.

Air travel is a real life example of Rule 36. Every airline sucks in some ways until you start spending ridiculous amounts of money either by flying a lot or paying for better treatment.

My LAS-SLC flight on Monday got switched from a CRJ-700 (with first class cabin) to a CRJ-200 (no first class cabin), but the gate agent moved all the paid first class people to a MD-90 flight that had been delayed three hours and was going to end up leaving at the same time and had wifi, so that was a win.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My outlaws flew to Auckland this past spring via Air New Zealand 747 first class. They took a couple photos (I don't have any on my PC unfortunately) but their first class "pods" looked absolutely awesome and were incredibly comfortable, so they say.

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

Anybody going to the Boston-Portsmouth Air Show this weekend? It kind of doesn't seem like a big deal, but it has a bunch of flight displays (including a MiG-17). Not a lot of static displays, but there are a couple A-10s and some F-16s and stuff.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
See, I fly a lot (YTD I've done about 150 segments) and even on airlines where I don't have status, I really don't have too many issues. They key is to just Not Give A gently caress At All - it's gonna happen, you can't do anything about it, getting mad does nobody any good, so just get out the laptop and do a little work or go to the bar or whatever. gently caress it. Zen flying.

It helps that I'm 5'10 165 though. If I was a lot bigger I might have more issues.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

BonzoESC posted:

Air travel is a real life example of Rule 36. Every airline sucks in some ways until you start spending ridiculous amounts of money either by flying a lot or paying for better treatment.
Yep. It's too damned expensive for us poors to fly anything but cattle coach. Actually, most of my flying is for business, but the US Government has a strict policy against humane service, and requires us to only fly economy. I've gotten a handful of complementary upgrades for 1st and business, but only ever on really short domestic flights when I really don't care, and never on the really long flights I actually need it, probably because everyone on those really long international flights has hundreds of thousands of miles and I don't even rate mention on the monitor, letalone an upgrade.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Nam Taf posted:

Can't you at least wear shoes when you fly?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

n8r posted:

Not since Richard Reid.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

n8r posted:

I used to wear sandals and shorts to fly, and then I discovered boat shoes.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

go to the bar or whatever. gently caress it. Zen flying.

This is how I fly.

Drunk.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

VikingSkull posted:

This is how I fly.

Drunk.

Yeah same here. If a flight is really delayed then I am going to be boarding really drunk.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Protip: you can't bring bottled water through security, but you can bring empty bottles, and fill them at the water fountain. And any dry food or drink mixes you want, like those little kool-aid things you mix into bottled water. Incidentally, you can also bring liquor shots, as many as will fit in a 1qt bag, or buy a bottle at the duty free store.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

grover posted:

as many as will fit in a 1qt bag

Next time I fly international this will be my challenge. To finish a qts worth of shots.

AKA: Why Matt is in a German jail.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

revmoo posted:

Yeah same here. If a flight is really delayed then I am going to be boarding really drunk.

"Attention passengers, we are going to be switching planes because of a serious mechanical malfunction, your luggage will be swapped but this will take some time. Boarding is estimated to begin an hour from now, thank you and thank you for flying Delta."

Where's the bar? I hate flying under the best circumstances, when I heard that I was already walking towards the bar we had just left while my boss was trying to process what just happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

VikingSkull posted:

Where's the bar? I hate flying under the best circumstances, when I heard that I was already walking towards the bar we had just left while my boss was trying to process what just happened.

I've had the opportunity to fly BA business class twice now, and while it's still flying and it's not exactly something pleasant that you'd jump at the chance to do, this sort of exchange makes an 18-hour flight go by a lot faster:

"Would you like some wine?"
"Yes, I'll have the malbec."
"Would you like more wine?"
"Yes please."
"Yes please.
"Yes please."
"Yes please.
"Yes please."