Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

The Modern Leper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQmwevsggg

Yup, batshit.

That was incredibly awkward and creepy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

plastered quack posted:

So Moshe Kasher, a pretty funny UCBLA comedian and podcast guest started his own podcast with Neal Brennan and Tim and Eric's DJ called The Champs.

I'm over two-thirds through the first episode and so far it's pretty so-so, but I think it might be worth watching or checking out down the road.

"Moshe Kasher? drat nigga your name might as well be Jewish Jewish"
- Patrice Oneal

For those who aren't in the know Neil Brennan is the co-creator of The Chappelle show and co-writer of Half Baked. He also has more issues with the concept of healthy competition and humility than Marc Maron. As evidenced by his appearance on Marc Maron.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Teepkick Shakur posted:

As evidenced by his appearance on Marc Maron.

Joe Rogan too, as I recall.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Teepkick Shakur posted:

"Moshe Kasher? drat nigga your name might as well be Jewish Jewish"
- Patrice Oneal

For those who aren't in the know Neil Brennan is the co-creator of The Chappelle show and co-writer of Half Baked. He also has more issues with the concept of healthy competition and humility than Marc Maron. As evidenced by his appearance on Marc Maron.

I never listened to his WTF episode but any interview or video I've seen with him he seems so smug. I don't know if that's the right word but something about him rubs me the wrong way. I'm a big fan of both Chappelle show and Half Baked but I can't stand that guy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh poo poo Aziz Ansari on the latest DLM.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

The Modern Leper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQmwevsggg

Yup, batshit.

Christ, this was fun to watch but it makes me feel sorry for Tig. (I still don't like her on podcasts)

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh poo poo Aziz Ansari on the latest DLM.

According to Joe Rogan's podcast he's really let the fame go to his head and become a Hollywood rear end in a top hat.

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 5, 2011

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Evil Agita posted:

According to Joe Rogan's podcast he's really let the fame go to his head and become a Hollywood rear end in a top hat.

That came up on a Walking the Room, too. They were saying that neither of them had had bad experiences with Aziz, but that he's building up a crappy reputation.

I like Walking the Room because they don't worry about burning bridges. The comedians they complain about the most seem to be Dane Cook and Bill Cosby.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
How could someone hate Aziz Ansari?

Nadine Hauklund
May 17, 2002

A boy's best friend is his mother.
The Moshe Kasher episode of Who Charted made me really like that guy. His Twitter feed is absolute poo poo, though, so he must be only good at talking.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

substitute posted:

How could someone hate Aziz Ansari?

Apparently he was once a cool guy with lots of comedy friends, but has recently become a douche. I forgot what comedian was in with Rogan when they were trash talking him. Maybe it was Ari Shaffir but I could be wrong.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Evil Agita posted:

Apparently he was once a cool guy with lots of comedy friends, but has recently become a douche. I forgot what comedian was in with Rogan when they were trash talking him. Maybe it was Ari Shaffir but I could be wrong.

Sounds like a bunch of jealousy.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
His newest act still focuses on the "I'm a down to earth guy that is now in all these bizarre celebrity situations". I know his act isn't a definite representation of him but he plays himself off as not having an ego.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I was a little confused when Marissa Wompler said that she had to register wompitup.com/wompupthejams because wompitup.com wasn't available, because that didn't make sense to me. But I was wrong and she was right.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Nadine Hauklund posted:

The Moshe Kasher episode of Who Charted made me really like that guy. His Twitter feed is absolute poo poo, though, so he must be only good at talking.

I saw him on an episode of John Oliver's Stand Up Show and Moshe Kasher seemed like he was trying to do Greg Proops or someone similar really hard.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
The end of the latest MATES with our hosts roleplaying the Haagen-Dazs and Ben and Jerry's workers gave me one of those uncontrollable-laughing-in-public moments. THIS IS WHY I LISTEN TO PODCASTS

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The end of every episode of Mike and Tom Eats Snacks gives me a fit of uncontrollable laughter. The beginning and middle are just as funny, but I can usually suppress my laughter for twenty-five minutes. What I'm trying to say is that everyone should be a viewer listener of MATES.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah it can be very funny, though I think Toblerone got screwed!

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know what's happened to Red Bar? The website is going to one of those placeholder things...

http://redbarradio.com/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Jimbola posted:

Does anyone know what's happened to Red Bar? The website is going to one of those placeholder things...

Mike David's Facebook wall is gone too, and his Twitter account hasn't been updated since the fifth. Did anyone listen to Friday's show live? Wondering if something bad happened :ohdear:

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jimbola posted:

Friday's show never happened. Mike and Kyle are no longer facebook friends. Kyle has scrubbed any mention of Redbar from his profile, the Red Bar Comedy Club is now The Comedy Bar, and no one is saying anything.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Friday's show never happened. Mike and Kyle are no longer facebook friends. Kyle has scrubbed any mention of Redbar from his profile, the Red Bar Comedy Club is now The Comedy Bar, and no one is saying anything.

:psyduck: Holy poo poo. Guess my prediction about the show being a trainwreck was more accurate than I thought.

Last time Mike had a hard falling out like this with someone was when Dean hosed his ex, but Dean was just a co-host; Kyle being his business partner makes me think that something really loving bad happened. Weird.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Marc Maron tweeted something about not being able to do the show because of technical issues.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
While today's CBB was pretty average in my opinion, earwolf did release yet another new podcast called Earwolf Presents, which sounds like a randomly-released Q&A with recurring guests on the network.

The first one is Harris Wittels defending Phish to Scott.

Edit: oh lord, part 1 of 2...

Urk! fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 8, 2011

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

plastered quack posted:

While today's CBB was pretty average in my opinion, earwolf did release yet another new podcast called Earwolf Presents, which sounds like a randomly-released Q&A with recurring guests on the network.

The first one is Harris Wittels defending Phish to Scott.

Woah, I figured it'd be a few minutes long. It's 1:05:47! I really like this idea as a kind of improved version of Eardrop

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

http://www.hulu.com/watch/264394/the-morning-after-cake-boss-dubbed

PFT doing an overdub of cake boss for some Hulu Show. Its entertaining.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Riptor posted:

Woah, I figured it'd be a few minutes long. It's 1:05:47! I really like this idea as a kind of improved version of Eardrop

Man. I thought I hated Phish before this but if I could get angry at podcasts I might punch something really hard.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I made it a half-an-hour in before I finally accepted that it was actually, truly, seriously was a podcast about Phish. It's such a funny concept for a show, too bad they actually executed it in such a straightforward way.

Kizzicharlie
Feb 9, 2005

"Freelance Peacekeeping Agent, Yes"

Jimbola posted:

someone setup a wordpress blog, with a bunch of internet detectives doing their funky thang..

http://whereisredbarradio.wordpress.com/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Kizzicharlie posted:

someone setup a wordpress blog, with a bunch of internet detectives doing their funky thang..

http://whereisredbarradio.wordpress.com/

Seems to be set to private. Honestly, I don't even know where people would organize at this point. Forums are gone, Facebook Walls are gone, no one's talking about it on Twitter (I checked everyone from Fritz to Babylon to Burke)... so weird. Honestly worried about Mike as much as I am his podcast, at this point.

e: found a cache of the Where is Red Bar Radio blog: here

Even the Oink show (Othy Schwering's joint) blog doesn't seem to know what's going on: http://oinkshow.wordpress.com/

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 9, 2011

Kizzicharlie
Feb 9, 2005

"Freelance Peacekeeping Agent, Yes"
literally an hour ago it wasnt private.. the meat of the site was a post Lewis Rhine put up here though.

http://www.prattlerattle.com/posts/2011/8/8/what-happened-to-red-bar-radio.html

really dont know what im gonna do without redbar.. this is worse than the time we all thought Mike was dead.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

This might be more traumatic for me than when Keith and Chemda broke up :ohdear:

It's never had many fans here, or anywhere, but Red Bar was the first comedy podcast that I seriously listened to. I couldn't tell you how I found it, or what it was that made me want to listen, but I must have listened to hundreds of hours of RBR by now. I started listening... I'd guess late 2007. Dean was on the scene by then, and I remember some listening live to the first big marathon show they did. I don't think anything ever topped the entire Mike David boarding school story, though. But while they never really had huge bits, there was so much great incidental chatter about Chicago and its comedy scene, Whoopi Goldberg, daytime talk shows, James Fritz's Kentucky upbringing...

If it turns out Mike broke off from Red Bar Comedy, or Kyle fired him as Lewis claims, I hope he finally moves to LA like he's always wanted. Dude deserves it at this point.

Really, though, I hope that poo poo gets fixed up and goes back to how it was. poo poo was looking up! Mike went from being a completely depressed graphic designer to the owner of a comedy club, he produced several successful CDs, and the club was even gettin' a sign and everything to maximize on its four shows per week, there was gonna be live RBR at the club every thursday, and now this :smith:

e: also, Fritz and Lewis jokin' in the comments :allears:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 9, 2011

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This is all looking very fishy. Why would Kyle wait to pull the plug until right before Maron's scheduled appearance? He's not a mean guy.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Welp, Where is Red Bar Radio is back, with a letter from Mike:

quote:

Hey all – I know a lot of you must be very confused right now as to what the state of RED BAR is – let me tell you, no one is as confused as I am. Currently I only have certain pieces of this extremely complicated puzzle, and without figuring out what is really going on, I can say very little. No one is more frustrated and out of the loop than I am at this moment, but I think that patience will be the best bet right now.

All I can possibly say without endangering myself, is that I have no way of communicating with my audience, or any access to my accounts – personal or Red Bar related.

I can’t really say much more, but I would like to ask EVERYONE to keep an open mind about everything you may hear until I am able to speak. I do not know what is going on, and until I am in the proper position to be part of the conversation, I kindly ask that everyone keep the assumptions to a minimum. Everyone will have a chance to hear this story, and comment on it, but again, I feel that that cannot be done fairly without my ability to be a part of it.

I’m not sure if even saying this much has put me in jeopardy, but I can’t sit here knowing that the fans are overwhelmed with questions. Currently, there is NO WAY of getting in contact with me, so again, please be patient.

Oh, I should probably add that I am not being held hostage, in jail, or anything like that. I am safe in that sense.

Again, my biggest request right now is that until I find out what is going on, that all talk and rumors be put on hold. I know that is asking a lot, and this message probably just makes things more confusing. I don’t not want things to spin out of control until I am able to comment on them myself.

I would like to add that this is not just a statement to listeners of Red Bar, but also to everyone that knows me personally. Friends, enemies, listeners, etc – I know that everyone has something to say or to ask, but just try to remind yourself that I am unable to comment, and that there is a reason for that. It is so very important to everyone that we don’t let rumor become the unofficial truth right now.

I will continue to release updates when I am able to. Thank You.

MIKE DAVID

:ohdear: Wow, this is getting ridiculous. The gently caress kinda behind the scenes drama would cause something like this?

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Finally checked out Who Charted? for the first time. Fun stuff and all, but more than anything the comment I have to make is: holy god that "Sloppy Timmy Slotsman" jingle is catchy as gently caress

militarygrade
Apr 7, 2011
Regarding Red Bar

As a long term, hardcore listener since the Angelo days, this is all very interesting in an internet voyeur sort of way. I absoutely love Angelo and Dean era Red Bar, it's some of my favourite comedy of all time.

As the earlier poster said, watching Mike go from goofball graphic designer to narcisstic, self obssesed idiot fuckwit was a fairly interesting experience, even if the humour of the show took a huge nosedive. The stories and the comedy talk became the best thing about the show, while MD's painful attempts at making the words "friend of the family" and "human being" funny was nails on a chalkboard awful.

Anyways, assuming the gossip to be true, I am hoping for a classic Rise, Fall, Redemption story in which Mike is left bankrupt, addicted to aderall, and, no longer having power over the comedy scene, becomes hated and alone. Then he is reborn, moves to NY , teams up with Angelo and they do a show every day.

The fact the both Dean and Kyle have turned agaisnt Mike perhaps should give him an inkling that being a sociopath has long term consequences.

Anyway, way too many words about an internet comedy show.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003

Transfatuation posted:

holy god that "Sloppy Timmy Slotsman" jingle is catchy as gently caress

This. Holy poo poo this. I find myself singing it to myself on the bus. I feel retarded.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!
Judge John Hodgman used to come out on the regular but there hasn't been a new one in weeks. Is it dead or something?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

militarygrade posted:

Regarding Red Bar
[...]
Anyway, way too many words about an internet comedy show.

Nah, I'm glad you posted that; it gives a good perspective on it. I was never really around for the Angelo days, so I didn't really see the long-term quality drop you were talking about - to me, Mike's basically always been a complete sociopath, tempered by the various guests. It's hard to tell how much of that is an act and how much of that is real, though you can tell he's pretty loving off.

Though... if Mike moves to New York, what will happen to Fritz? :ohdear:

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

Judge John Hodgman used to come out on the regular but there hasn't been a new one in weeks. Is it dead or something?

Jesse Thorn and his wife just had a baby last week, and I think that's impacted the schedule of the dozen or so podcasts he's involved with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

militarygrade
Apr 7, 2011

Anal Volcano posted:

Nah, I'm glad you posted that; it gives a good perspective on it. I was never really around for the Angelo days, so I didn't really see the long-term quality drop you were talking about - to me, Mike's basically always been a complete sociopath, tempered by the various guests. It's hard to tell how much of that is an act and how much of that is real, though you can tell he's pretty loving off.

Though... if Mike moves to New York, what will happen to Fritz? :ohdear:

Mate, do yourself a favour and check out a few Angelo shows from the archives. There's a bizzare relationshop between the faux-intellectual pun obsessed ramblings of Angelo and the goofiness of younger, with girlfriend Mike. You'll notice that even now during this drama, the quotes you see people post are often back from the Angelo days. Ah, twas a good time.

Mike has admitted several times that he has basically no human empathy. Part of the reason for the rotating cast of characters on Red Bar has been his difficulty holding down anyone for a long time. Dean, Stanley, Mcgowan, now Kyle. He really is a hardcore through and through dick - but it's tolerable because he is actually fairly up front about it. it's not like he makes pretensions towards being a marvellous human being.

Hey, Fritz is my boy. He is welcome aboard the future Red Bar train.

• Locked thread