Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

Saying the language used in a fantasy novel that contains dragons, and magic is unrealistic makes absofuckinglutely no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Mr.Brinks posted:

Saying the language used in a fantasy novel that contains dragons, and magic is unrealistic makes absofuckinglutely no sense.
No. The language should be consistent in any novel. Martin's is.

Your reasoning leads to "well it's fantasy so the writing doesn't have to be good" which is sadly what a lot of people think.

SharpyShuffle
Aug 20, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

I think I might be the only one that likes the Aegon plot. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I'm anticipating a huge battle to come from it. I want to see the Golden Company plus Dorne fighting the Lannisters and Tyrells or something.

The whole plot to me seems to have the most potential for another big war scenario where there are a bunch of armies all moving around trying to outmanoeuvre each other. I think that War of the 5 Kings is my favourite part of the series so far.

I'm also really looking forward to the Sansa/Davos chapters next book. It'll be interesting to see how LF's plans to have Sansa rule the North for him are impacted by Rickon being discovered as 'true' hier to the North.

The Aegon/Connington plot is fantastic.

"Hey Aegon, you should go this place and do this thing."

"Okay."

It's great to see a character get from point A to point B without kidnapping, pirates, bandits, warfare or other diversions, and to make a life-altering, proactive decision without worrying about it for 3 months and 200 pages.

Connington's reaction to Aegon's sudden change of plans is similarly awesome: "Hmm, maybe this isn't a good idea...but gently caress it, all men must die." How many of the other remaining PoV characters would go along with such a risky scheme without a ton of italicised stressing and doubting and misliking?

Even then I assumed something would go wrong, as always happens when anyone makes a journey of more than 2 miles in this world, but no, The Golden Company just show up in Westeros and start taking castles like it's no big thing. It's probably only because Grrm didn't want to waste too much time on something boring like a Targ prince landing in Westeros at the head of an army - not when he had dwarf-jousting to write about. But still it's a very nice change of pace.

SharpyShuffle fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 7, 2011

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

He learned his lesson with the Mer knot.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Adama posted:

Both the posters you quoted have explained that they both know that the words exist and know their meaning... they aren't complaining that Martin is using words that they don't understand.

Martin, an American writer, is inserting British quaint-sounding words to make the books read as "olde tyme" to his audience.

Might as well not even write a fantasy novel at all if you don't want to insert British influence into it.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
The Golden Company was founded by Bittersteel, one of Aegon IV's bastards, right? And him and Bloodraven hated each other. (Their mothers were a Blackwood and a Bracken, the two feuding houses in the Riverlands, they took opposite sides in the Blackfyre Rebellion, Bittersteel put out Bloodraven's eye) And now Bloodraven is back in the same book that has Bittersteel's sellsword company returning to Westeros. I'm guessing that Bittersteel's forces versus Bloodraven's (the Night's Watch or the Others or whatever) will be one of the final conflicts of the series. I mean, it would, if the series ever gets finished.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Is it bad that I have NO loving IDEA who Bloodraven is?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In as much as it means you haven't bothered to read even the last few pages of the thread, yes. Yes it is.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

Quantify! posted:

Is it bad that I have NO loving IDEA who Bloodraven is?

http://iceandfire.wikia.com/wiki/Bloodraven
As people were saying earlier, he's more prominent in the Dunk & Egg stories.

Also, I forgot to add in my previous post that the two swords that came over with Aegon the Conqueror ended up with those two; Bittersteel took Blackfyre with him after the end of the Blackfyre Rebellion and Bloodraven was the last known owner of Dark Sister. (Although I might be mistaken about that last one.)

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm not suggesting that Martin isn't good at what he's doing- entertaining- but things stick out while reading. I agree that his writing is very consistent on a novel-to-novel basis.

quote:

Your post is entirely wrong. It's quite magical.

The "no-thing" part is quite accurate, aside from your disagreeing with my opinion and calling it wrong.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The medieval term for "oval office" would be "oval office". That there were other words for it doesn't mean that Martin using the actual word "oval office" instead of an Elizabethan slang word suddenly makes it anachronistic within the setting he has created, which is what you were arguing.

I assume your problem with "oval office" & "poo poo" would also extend to "gently caress" ?

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 7, 2011

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I assume your problem with "oval office" & "poo poo" would also extend to "gently caress" ?

A lot of the issues that most people have with Martin's writing is that they're complete prudes - that is to say, they can't handle sex or sexuality at all. Gory as gently caress violence with guts spilling out everywhere and brains splattered all over the walls? No problem. Sex? YOU PEDOPHILE PERVERT!!

Honestly I can't really take most people seriously when they complain about the diction in ASOIAF. They invariably sound like they're trying to find something to nitpick about.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Stopgap posted:

The Golden Company was founded by Bittersteel, one of Aegon IV's bastards, right? And him and Bloodraven hated each other. (Their mothers were a Blackwood and a Bracken, the two feuding houses in the Riverlands, they took opposite sides in the Blackfyre Rebellion, Bittersteel put out Bloodraven's eye) And now Bloodraven is back in the same book that has Bittersteel's sellsword company returning to Westeros. I'm guessing that Bittersteel's forces versus Bloodraven's (the Night's Watch or the Others or whatever) will be one of the final conflicts of the series. I mean, it would, if the series ever gets finished.
I'd think that after spending 100 years as a tree he wouldn't have to feud against the distant (possible) descendant of some guy he didn't like

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I think the correct resolution to this inane argument is to say "gently caress all words" and move on.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Iggles posted:

I'd think that after spending 100 years as a tree he wouldn't have to feud against the distant (possible) descendant of some guy he didn't like
Yeah having tree guy take up his old conflicts when he barely remembers who he is sounds like some lovely typical fantasy type stuff.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Iggles posted:

Well, Bittersteel is now a golden skull atop a golden spear and the last (male) Blackfyre was killed decades ago so yeah, it would be quite petty.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

Oh, I don't mean that it's literally going to be like "Wait, Bittersteel's great-great-great-great-grandson is back? gently caress YES IT'S ON NOW!" or that there's going to be a Bran-with-Dark-Sister versus Aegon-with-Blackfyre duel. I just mean in a thematic sense; Bloodraven's heir/heirs (literally or otherwise) versus Bittersteel's heir/heirs (literal or otherwise), whether they know about the previous conflict between brothers or not.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I kind of doubt Martin really cares that much about it.

I mean he throws all this backstory in because it enriches the universe but that doesn't mean everything will have a big payoff.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

Bloodraven was transformed into this near-omnipotent god, I bet his past life grudges disappeared the moment he was turned into a tree.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

Might as well not even write a fantasy novel at all if you don't want to insert British influence into it.

I think the problem with 'whilst' specifically is that, in America, it tends to mostly be used by the same sorts of greasy nerds who wear fedoras, for the same reason. They think it makes them seem classy, so they pick it up as a painstakingly deliberate affectation. Obviously in the UK that's not the case, but as an American, whenever I see 'whilst' I think 'sweaty Renfaire attendee'.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Roark posted:

Yeah. And the "historical" (in-world) Dance of the Dragons is pretty overtly The Anarchy, to go along with the whole Targs as the Normans/Angevins thing.
Also: Rhoyne river valley (where the invaders who captured and settled Dorne came from) = Rhine river valley (where the Saxons who invaded and settled the south and east of Britain came from). More or less.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Stopgap posted:

Oh, I don't mean that it's literally going to be like "Wait, Bittersteel's great-great-great-great-grandson is back? gently caress YES IT'S ON NOW!" or that there's going to be a Bran-with-Dark-Sister versus Aegon-with-Blackfyre duel. I just mean in a thematic sense; Bloodraven's heir/heirs (literally or otherwise) versus Bittersteel's heir/heirs (literal or otherwise), whether they know about the previous conflict between brothers or not.
Ah, sorry, that does make sense now.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Mr.Brinks posted:

Bloodraven was transformed into this near-omnipotent god, I bet his past life grudges disappeared the moment he was turned into a tree.

Gods can be selfish jerks. Haven't you read read any of the old testament?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Iggles posted:

Plus if Aegon is really Aegon (which I to be honest, doubt), he's the descendant of Daeron (the good), Bloodraven's brother who he loved.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mr.Brinks posted:

Omnipotent? He's not even omniscient (owing to a lack of weirwoods with faces), and his power to actually effect actions is dubious.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Neurosis posted:

Omnipotent? He's not even omniscient (owing to a lack of weirwoods with faces), and his power to actually effect actions is dubious.

He indeed hardly has any powers to actually do anything. In fact, the only thing he has done is summon Bran to him via his dreams.

I think he is still fairly omniscient, and I think he does it via Raventree.
Remember, Bloodraven was a bastard from a Blackwood: the residents of Raventree.

I think the ravens of Raventree everyday go out "scouting" and return in the evening to tell the news to the (dead) weirwood and thus to Bloodraven.

The Jaime chapter in ADWD has a great connection with the Dunk & Egg stories.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

showbiz_liz posted:

I think the problem with 'whilst' specifically is that, in America, it tends to mostly be used by the same sorts of greasy nerds who wear fedoras, for the same reason. They think it makes them seem classy, so they pick it up as a painstakingly deliberate affectation. Obviously in the UK that's not the case, but as an American, whenever I see 'whilst' I think 'sweaty Renfaire attendee'.

Yeah this exactly, I just think it's a stupid sounding word. He's got quite a few words that break up the flow for me and this was the worst for ADwD. It reminds me of bad poetry and dorks with foam rubber swords sweating in the park.

Some of you are taking this discussion waaaaay too loving seriously. It was a word that stuck out to me but I don't think he's a bad writer and I'm not shocked others don't have a problem with it.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Brannock posted:

A lot of the issues that most people have with Martin's writing is that they're complete prudes - that is to say, they can't handle sex or sexuality at all. Gory as gently caress violence with guts spilling out everywhere and brains splattered all over the walls? No problem. Sex? YOU PEDOPHILE PERVERT!!

Honestly I can't really take most people seriously when they complain about the diction in ASOIAF. They invariably sound like they're trying to find something to nitpick about.

I think GRRM's largest audience is America, and we as a country are just loving retarded about sex. It pervades our culture down to its very bones and yet we can't talk about it openly without some nutjob faction of our society going crazy about it. What's funny about A Song of Ice and Fire is that the sex is fairly vanilla stuff. Anyone ever read Gary Jenning's classic historical novel Aztec, from 1980? That has lesbian rape, gang rape, incest, and some of the most brutal violence I've ever encountered outside of a Peter Sotos book. And yet Aztec was a bestseller and I think the sex/violence actually added to the story.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Maytag posted:

Yeah this exactly, I just think it's a stupid sounding word. He's got quite a few words that break up the flow for me and this was the worst for ADwD. It reminds me of bad poetry and dorks with foam rubber swords sweating in the park.

Some of you are taking this discussion waaaaay too loving seriously. It was a word that stuck out to me but I don't think he's a bad writer and I'm not shocked others don't have a problem with it.
The only people who say "teats" are Harlan Ellison so every time someone in the book says teats I'm reminded of a bitter little troll of a man. It really takes me out of the books!

Argali posted:

Anyone ever read Gary Jenning's classic historical novel Aztec, from 1980? That has lesbian rape, gang rape, incest, and some of the most brutal violence I've ever encountered
Thanks for the recommendation!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Plus if Aegon is really Aegon (which I to be honest, doubt), he's the descendant of Daeron (the good), Bloodraven's brother who he loved.
Are we sure the "brother that i loved" was actually Daeron? I mean it would make sense since Bloodraven was on Daeron's side but the brother he loved could also be Daemon (everyone apparently loved Daemon until Fireball and Bittersteel convinced him to start the rebellion) which would make it even more tragic, Bloodraven siding against his beloved brother and finally killing him and his two sons.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Quantify! posted:

Thanks for the recommendation!

In all seriousness, it's a great book. Never read the sequels though. His book Raptor was pretty weird - the main character is a hermaphrodite - and I only got halfway through it.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

So what's the theory on Bloodraven, anyway? Normally he would have died about 100 years ago, right? Who does he serve, what is he doing, etc.?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Argali posted:

So what's the theory on Bloodraven, anyway? Normally he would have died about 100 years ago, right? Who does he serve, what is he doing, etc.?
It seems to be a perk of the Old Gods that you get to be sort of immortal. Melisandre doesn't have to eat like normal humans, etc.

It throws an interesting wrench into the whole religion story, because the main thing about the Others is that they bring back the dead. But apparently the green and red gods can do this too. And according to Melisandre there's only TWO gods - the good one and the bad one. Then there's the song of ice and fire which seems to leave no room for a song of trees.

Who Arya is serving is another matter. Melisandre often mentions "serving death", and the House of Black and White pretty much does this. Is she mistakenly serving the bad guys? But then they seem to be opposed to the Maesters who are opposed to the dragons which are probably going to fight the Others so they must be good, right?

No wonder it takes Martin years to write this stuff it must've taken years to just figure out what side everyone was on.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Am I the only one who thinks that trying to sort the various people and factions and religions into neat sets of "good" and "evil" is missing the point? The reason it's not building toward a Tolkienesque final showdown of good and evil might be because there is no showdown of good and evil because there are no good and evil.

One of the main themes all through since AGoT has been that nothing is black and white and that trying to draw lines and section things out into good and evil doesn't work, so to me it makes perfect sense that the characters themselves are frequently wrong about things, that the religion and ideology of various characters and factions don't fit tightly together (there's overlap, there's conflict, etc.), and that it's very unclear how exactly things will (or even should) shake out.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

hailthefish posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that trying to sort the various people and factions and religions into neat sets of "good" and "evil" is missing the point?
No but it's going to come down to good vs. evil so I wonder what side everyone will fall on.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Quantify! posted:

No but it's going to come down to good vs. evil so I wonder what side everyone will fall on.

No, that's what he was saying, it might not come down to good vs. evil.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Jakabite posted:

No, that's what he was saying, it might not come down to good vs. evil.
You think Martin will make the Others sympathetic?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I doubt he'll make the Others "sympathetic" but it could happen. More likely it's a choice between a handful of evils, or evil and good-but-with-horrifying-unintended-consequences, or maybe the Others aren't evil at all but are just trying to protect the old gods of the North and the Children of the Forest? What if the Children of the Forest are really terrifyingly evil and Bran has to choose between two horrible options?

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

hailthefish posted:

I doubt he'll make the Others "sympathetic" but it could happen. More likely it's a choice between a handful of evils, or evil and good-but-with-horrifying-unintended-consequences, or maybe the Others aren't evil at all but are just trying to protect the old gods of the North and the Children of the Forest? What if the Children of the Forest are really terrifyingly evil and Bran has to choose between two horrible options?

So long as he doesn't spend 600 pages in Mereen pondering what decision he's going to make, such a thing could be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I just finished reading the book and one thing kind of stuck in my craw a little -- sorry if it's been discussed already but the thread is so long that I can't really sift through it to see.

So, Stannis rallies about 3,000 guys from the mountain clans to his cause before marching south to take on the Boltons. Where were these guys during the whole war of the five kings? If they're willing to rally to Stannis to go "rescue Ned's daughter" then surely they would have joined up with Robb's main force when Ned himself was taken captive? Or later on, when the Ironmen took the North, it never occurred to Robb to try to get those guys to retake Moat Cailin (from the north, which is apparently way easier than from the south)?

Maybe I missed some explanation along the way but it just seems kind of contrived to me that as soon as Stannis needs soldiers, Jon is like "oh hey, here are a bunch of guys in the woods and mountains who somehow haven't been part of the action so far, they'll help you."