Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Moey posted:

As well as what others said, are you doing off site backup and storage of this? If this is for a TV station, the array failing and losing data may be devastating. Also depending on what kind of work they are doing, I wonder the performance out of that enclosure, and if it will have a negative impact on their work (video editing?).

As it stands right now, our producers delete projects on an as-needed basis. We maintain an archive of finished, aired programming elsewhere. This would be for raw footage storage, which right now just gets deleted, never to be seen again. We're a tiny non-profit, so i'm trying to maximize our dollars spent. I'm going to propose the idea of building either two arrays, or cherry picking select stuff to back up onto external drives kept elsewhere. I'm also fine with using Raid 6 as well.

As far as performance is concerned, right now they are editing off of a USB 2 GreenDrive, which is hideously slow and constantly goes to sleep. Again, that was the cheapest thing we could buy to fulfill our need at the time. I'm pretty sure the Qx2 would be much faster in most raid implementations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tronester
Aug 12, 2004
People hear what they want to hear.
Not impressed at all with Netapps phone support. It took almost 24 hours and 6 phone calls and 3 emails to get my online account changed from guest to full access to download updated firmware for a FAS2020 head.

I was able to reconfigure with each head providing a 384gb iscsi lun to the ESXi box so it all worked out.

Now I am curious if the FAS2020 can do some sort of volume backup even while their is a lun in use ala VSS? Tomorrow I am going to set up ghettovcb, but it would be nice to have an alternate backup method as well.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

tronester posted:

Not impressed at all with Netapps phone support. It took almost 24 hours and 6 phone calls and 3 emails to get my online account changed from guest to full access to download updated firmware for a FAS2020 head.

I was able to reconfigure with each head providing a 384gb iscsi lun to the ESXi box so it all worked out.

Now I am curious if the FAS2020 can do some sort of volume backup even while their is a lun in use ala VSS? Tomorrow I am going to set up ghettovcb, but it would be nice to have an alternate backup method as well.

24hours is fast like lightning. EMC took two days, HDS took two weeks and several complaints. I still haven't got my personal account at netapp verified and i belive it's been two years now since i requested it. Fortunatly we have a department account i can use.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Welp, I solved my previous mentioned problem. Made a VM and gave it direct access to the USB drive.

Here's what I learned from my research, ZFS-FUSE does some weird stuff. I've always been told use the entire disk for ZFS, let the filesystem do it's thing. Well, apparently ZFS-FUSE doesn't create a partition type that's standard to ZFS (or create one at all for that matter). When you zpool create in Solaris/FreeBSD/OI/Nexenta, apparently it automatically creates a partition, while fuse just formats the raw drive. That's what OI didnt like when I tried to import it (even though I could query the filesystem metadata from within OI).

Lesson of the story? Make sure if you're using FUSE to point zfs to a parittion on a hard drive (sda1), not the entire thing (sda).

Or maybe I'm an idiot that can't read directions.

Thank god for Virtualbox.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Well I can't get ZFS native on Linux to work. I built and installed the 0.6.0rc5 of spl and zfs, and the kernel modules all appear to load, but when I run any zpool commands, I get an error that the modules aren't in the kernel. I'm using Linux 2.6.32 so I don't know what the hell.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

gregday posted:

Well I can't get ZFS native on Linux to work. I built and installed the 0.6.0rc5 of spl and zfs, and the kernel modules all appear to load, but when I run any zpool commands, I get an error that the modules aren't in the kernel. I'm using Linux 2.6.32 so I don't know what the hell.

I just tested out the DEB instructions on their site and had it up and running in about 3 minutes (Debian 6). What distro are you using?

gregday
May 23, 2003

LamoTheKid posted:

I just tested out the DEB instructions on their site and had it up and running in about 3 minutes (Debian 6). What distro are you using?

A fairly new Slackware build since I like to do things manually.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

gregday posted:

Do the kernel modules "appear" to load as in not throw an error message, or does `lsmod` *say* they are loaded?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
Speaking of ZFS on Linux, is this a good idea at this point or should I stick with FreeBSD or something that has a stable implementation?

I'm currently running Debian 6, but I'm not particularly partial to it. I could blow away my current OS and data at this point and go with any filesystem or OS. From what I hear, ZFS-fuse is pretty terrible?

I was thinking that ZFS was the way to go, but I fear that something like FreeNAS will limit the other packages I can install on the system.

This is on a 12TB media server / NAS.

Any ideas or suggestions?

gregday
May 23, 2003

teamdest posted:

Do the kernel modules "appear" to load as in not throw an error message, or does `lsmod` *say* they are loaded?

lsmod says they are loaded. I replaced all the zfs-fuse versions of the libs and zpool/zfs and the like with the native versions, and I made sure the zfs-fuse process wasn't running.

edit: Assuming I get this working, can I import and use my existing ZFS pool that I created with zfs-fuse?

2nd edit: The particular error says

code:
# zpool status
Unable to open /dev/zfs: No such file or directory.
Verify the ZFS module stack is loaded by running '/sbin/modprobe zfs'.
Is /dev/zfs created dynamically or do I need to mknod?

gregday fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 5, 2011

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
you should be able to import your existing pools, contingent upon what someone a bit ago mentioned re: partitions vs. disks on FUSE. I don't know if /dev/zfs is supposed to be created dynamically, since I do my work on Ubuntu which had a PPA repo available.

Just for fun, does modprobe zfs tell you what you expect?

I don't think they have a wiki and their documentation right now is mostly just the official stuff from solaris, so you might have to hit up the mailing list and see if someone can help.

gregday
May 23, 2003

'modprobe zfs' returns nothing, which means it worked. I can see all the modules loaded with lsmod
code:
Module                  Size  Used by
zpios                  15627  0 
zfs                   872659  1 zpios
zcommon                27059  1 zfs
znvpair                23377  2 zfs,zcommon
zavl                    3496  1 zfs
zunicode              319350  1 zfs
spl                    67275  6 zpios,zfs,zcommon,znvpair,zavl,zunicode
and I can see the kernel messages with dmesg where it loads everything:

code:
SPL: The /etc/hostid file is not found.
SPL: Loaded module v0.6.0, using hostid 0xff412372
SPLAT: Loaded module v0.6.0
ZFS: Loaded module v0.6.0, ZFS pool version 28, ZFS filesystem version 5
It looks like it's probably some udev fuckery not working. If anyone with this working would like to post the output of ls -l /dev/zfs I could try manually creating the node and see if that works.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
sorry, yea I'm not that great with linux, though I manage to get by most days.

code:
xxx@yyy:/usr/local/crashplan/conf$ sudo ls -l /dev/zfs
crw------- 1 root root 10, 56 2011-07-30 01:59 /dev/zfs

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
What performance is to be expected from four WD20EARS (2TB) drives in a raidz configuration? I am getting ~60Mb/s through dd and this strikes me as a bit low. The hardware is a HP proliant microserver.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
So, I have this HP Compaq that does nothing but collect dust and I got the idea to set it up as a server. I, also, have a 1.5TB external hard drive.

All I want to do is set it up to stream media to my 360, share files across my network and take care of my usenetting (using SABnzbd+ and SickBeard). I've been googling around for an easy solution for a few hours. Just point me in the right direction. :D

Aafter fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 5, 2011

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

heeen posted:

What performance is to be expected from four WD20EARS (2TB) drives in a raidz configuration? I am getting ~60Mb/s through dd and this strikes me as a bit low. The hardware is a HP proliant microserver.

The performance of any RaidZ/Z2/Z3 array is equivalent to the performance of the slowest drive in the array. I think someone linked to this earlier in the thread, but it goes into detail:

http://constantin.glez.de/blog/2010/06/closer-look-zfs-vdevs-and-performance

In short, use more, smaller vdevs and use mirrors instead of raidz's if you need performance. 60MB/s is not that hot for a Sata II drive overall, but I think the green's are low power so that might affect things.

Additionally, bandwidth (MB/s) is not the only measure of hard drive performance, IOPS can be a major factor too, and can be a more noticable bottleneck than low bandwidth, since there aren't many household uses of a fileserver I can think of that require sustained transfer rates of 60+ megs a second, and that's getting on towards saturating a gigabit bus anyway.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
Right. It just struck me as odd when I started to fill the pool with large media files that even after some tweaking I couldn't get over 60Mb/s. Anyways, the 60Mb/s number coincidences with various speed benchmarks I found, e.g:

If zfs chose to begin writing at the end of the drive, that is.

heeen fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 5, 2011

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

heeen posted:

Right. It just struck me as odd when I started to fill the pool with large media files that even after some tweaking I couldn't get over 60Mb/s. Anyways, the 60Mb/s number coincidences with various speed benchmarks I found, e.g:

If zfs chose to begin writing at the end of the drive, that is.

well, can you run some benchmarks and see if this is a consistent thing? dd isn't the most exacting test of a disk's capabilities, after all.

Edit: also how full is your array? copy-on-write filesystems have issues when they get fragmented and largely full where finding a contiguous chunk large enough for the data becomes more difficult.

teamdest fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 5, 2011

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

Factory Factory posted:

2-5 hours instead of 4-24, depending on the controller and how much data there is.

Currently rebuilding a 3x2TB RAID5 to a 7x2TB RAID5, it'll take ~88 hours... Kill me now. :(

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

teamdest posted:

well, can you run some benchmarks and see if this is a consistent thing? dd isn't the most exacting test of a disk's capabilities, after all.

Edit: also how full is your array? copy-on-write filesystems have issues when they get fragmented and largely full where finding a contiguous chunk large enough for the data becomes more difficult.

The array is empty and I got the values confirmed from diskinfo.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Got it working. Yes the udev scripts on Slackware don't quite work so I had to consult /sys/class/misc/zfs/dev and found that on my system the device needed to have major/minor of 10/57 (not 56)

mknod /dev/zfs c 10 57

And all is working great. Now to import my pool over from zfs-fuse.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looking for some recommendations for a file store solution at work I'm trying to set up. I don't know all the ins and outs of the NAS world, but I do run an Unraid setup at home. Unfortunately since it runs on a Unix variant, it would create more trouble than it's worth here at work to stay IT-compliant with security patches and whatnot.

What I'm trying to do:
- Store 100's of thousands of small files. A couple megs each, most of the time smaller.
- I do not anticipate needing more than 10TB of storage.
- Need redundancy in case of a drive failure.
- Write/Read speed is very important.
- Would like the ability to be able to add drives of multiple sizes if/when more space is needed.

After reading the FAQ, given my pretty much Windows constraint, it seems my best may be Windows Home Server. Especially since it has the ability to have drives of multiple sizes with the Drive Extender function. I could throw in a few drives of not-matching capacity and access it as one huge drive without the need for a RAID controller.

Does this suffer any loss of speed since it doesn't really have a hardware RAID controller? How does it do parity/redundancy? Does it need an extra disk at all? The technical brief that I read through on microsoft.com doesn't really say other than it runs CHKDSK once a day.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Looking for some recommendations for a file store solution at work I'm trying to set up. I don't know all the ins and outs of the NAS world, but I do run an Unraid setup at home. Unfortunately since it runs on a Unix variant, it would create more trouble than it's worth here at work to stay IT-compliant with security patches and whatnot.

What I'm trying to do:
- Store 100's of thousands of small files. A couple megs each, most of the time smaller.
- I do not anticipate needing more than 10TB of storage.
- Need redundancy in case of a drive failure.
- Write/Read speed is very important.
- Would like the ability to be able to add drives of multiple sizes if/when more space is needed.

After reading the FAQ, given my pretty much Windows constraint, it seems my best may be Windows Home Server. Especially since it has the ability to have drives of multiple sizes with the Drive Extender function. I could throw in a few drives of not-matching capacity and access it as one huge drive without the need for a RAID controller.

Does this suffer any loss of speed since it doesn't really have a hardware RAID controller? How does it do parity/redundancy? Does it need an extra disk at all? The technical brief that I read through on microsoft.com doesn't really say other than it runs CHKDSK once a day.

What's you're budget? It sounds like you're really close to the point where you should buy a small/medium business product, though I don't have any to recomend at the moment.

At the very least, Home Server with drive extender is a dead end, WHS2 removed the feature, and who wants to run a 2003 based product in this day in age?

All that being said, pretty much any solution other than building a Windows Server box is going to run Unix in some variant, so if you're policies flat out prevent that, you should look into... changing that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are there any suggestions for a cheap NAS that's compatible with OS X? I don't necessarily need Time Machine support, just looking for something that I can use for iTunes/Photos/streaming. Would the d-link 323 still work?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

What's you're budget? It sounds like you're really close to the point where you should buy a small/medium business product, though I don't have any to recomend at the moment.

At the very least, Home Server with drive extender is a dead end, WHS2 removed the feature, and who wants to run a 2003 based product in this day in age?

All that being said, pretty much any solution other than building a Windows Server box is going to run Unix in some variant, so if you're policies flat out prevent that, you should look into... changing that.

poo poo. Yeah I didn't really figure they'd remove a feature that seems pretty drat useful.

The policies don't flat out disallow it, but running anything other than Windows would require me to put it on a different network that's meant for not being IT-compliant. The consequences being that I couldn't directly map a drive due to the retarded rules that a certain someone with too much power set up recently. That pretty much makes it a deal-breaker if I can't map a drive.

It's seriously retarded. I'd literally have to VNC into the server, copy my files to a third server that's IT-compliant, then finally move the files to my desk PC. Somehow they thought that this would be an... improvement. I work at a gigantic tech company too, which makes it even more absurd.

I may end up just having to stuff extra drives into my bench PC.

:sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 6, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

poo poo. Yeah I didn't really figure they'd remove a feature that seems pretty drat useful.

The policies don't flat out disallow it, but running anything other than Windows would require me to put it on a different network that's meant for not being IT-compliant. The consequences being that I couldn't directly map a drive due to the retarded rules that a certain someone with too much power set up recently. That pretty much makes it a deal-breaker if I can't map a drive.

It's seriously retarded. I'd literally have to VNC into the server, copy my files to a third server that's IT-compliant, then finally move the files to my desk PC. Somehow they thought that this would be an... improvement. I work at a gigantic tech company too, which makes it even more absurd.

It sounds like with that stupid situation, vanilla Server 2008 R2 is going to be your best bet. You can get some Dell server towers for a pretty reasonable price, and you can eaiser use a RAID card or Windows built in RAID. Not sure how good the software stuff is.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Are there any suggestions for a cheap NAS that's compatible with OS X? I don't necessarily need Time Machine support, just looking for something that I can use for iTunes/Photos/streaming. Would the d-link 323 still work?

I'm also a bit stuck on if the d-link 323 is still a viable NAS. Picked up a WD My Book live 2tb for 150. But I'm thinking I might want to spend the extra 50-100 and go with the 323 and some green drives.

My own reasons are for raid so a single drive failure won't take everything with it. It may work as a print server, and I can play around with linux on it. The only advantage I can see with the WD live is newer, and might support media to an ipod touch better.

Features I'd like is scheduled back up to external drive of certain files.
Access to files over the internet
Bit torrent client

Not making much headway with small net builder in coming to a conclusion. Also any other BYOD in the 100-150 range that have a nice feature set/performance? or is that mostly in the 200+ range.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

So windows is being held as the security standard?

Also, if you're able to use VLANs, it would be possible to hook the mail sever up to the disk store directly on it's own VLAN, so it's not possible for anything BUT the mail server to talk to it?

If so, then a Nexenta or OpenIndiana setup should work nicely. It's pretty easy to get a bit set of striped mirrors set up that will saturate the gigabit lan with 4k reads. Especially if you get 2-3 SSDs as a cache device.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

I think you can trick Time Machine into backing up anywhere with something like this.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
I'm starting to see some worrying messages:

code:
Aug  6 15:06:33 freenas kernel: ahcich2: Timeout on slot 4 port 0
Aug  6 15:06:33 freenas kernel: ahcich2: is 00000000 cs 00000000 ss 00003ff0 rs 00003ff0 tfd 40 serr 00000000
Aug  6 15:07:04 freenas kernel: ahcich2: AHCI reset: device not ready after 31000ms (tfd = 00000080)
Aug  6 15:07:28 freenas root: ZFS: vdev I/O failure, zpool=tank1 path=/dev/gpt/disk2 offset=270336 size=8192 error=6

(ada2:ahcich2:0:0:0): lost device
(ada2:ahcich2:0:0:0): Invalidating pack

also once I got lots of these:
code:
 freenas kernel: swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 1051647,size 4096, error 6 
code:
freenas# zpool status
  pool: tank1
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: [url]http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P[/url]
 scrub: none requested
config:

NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank1          ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1       ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/disk0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/disk1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/disk2  ONLINE       3  196K     1
            gpt/disk3  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Sounds like you're using a consumer drive and its developed at least one bad sector. Can you check the SMART info on the individual drives?

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
I did short offline checks on all drives which appeared ok, and the self asessment said it passed. what should I look out for?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

heeen posted:

I did short offline checks on all drives which appeared ok, and the self asessment said it passed. what should I look out for?

Raw values for uncorrectable, pending, or reallocated sectors to be anything other than zero, most likely. For most manufacturers' SMART schema, this isn't reported as a failure, but it is.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

heeen posted:

Try reseat all the sata cables and the sata card if you have one. reset the error counters and scrub the pool. There is a small chance you won't get new errors.

I have done this a few times after getting wierd errors.

Edit: and/or change/shift the sata cable for the error throwing device.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Galler posted:

:effort: post Incoming!

ITT I build an 8TB NAS with drives & UPS for ~$750.

Just wanted to say that this is awesome, and the price was low enough that I was compelled to make the jump.

I am running into a snag with getting this server to boot from USB though, I've had literally zero luck with it so far. In my case I'm trying to make a NexentaStor ISO into a bootable USB drive. I don't suppose anyone else has tried to make NexentaStor image bootable from USB storage? If I can't get the server to boot / install from USB, then I am going to be down a drive slot, which is rather frustrating.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Since it's opensolaris based which is solaris based I would think any method turns a solaris or opensolaris iso into a bootable usb installer should work. What have you tried/what's been happening?

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
I think the drive is actually dying:
code:
kernel: (ada2:ahcich2:0:0:0): lost device    

# ataidle ada2
ataidle: error opening ada2

camcontrol identify ada2
camcontrol: cam_lookup_pass: CAMGETPASSTHRU ioctl failed
cam_lookup_pass: No such file or directory
cam_lookup_pass: either the pass driver isn't in your kernel
cam_lookup_pass: or ada2 doesn't exist
It also isn't listed under camcontrol devlist.
code:
# camcontrol devlist
<WDC WD20EARS-00J99B0 80.00A80>    at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)
<WDC WD20EARS-00J99B0 80.00A80>    at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)
<WDC WD20EARS-00J99B0 80.00A80>    at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass3,ada3)
<JetFlash Transcend 4GB 8.07>      at scbus6 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,da0)
But the weird thing is: zpool claims it is still there and resilvering it:
code:
freenas# zpool status
  pool: tank1
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: [url]http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P[/url]
 scrub: resilver in progress for 0h15m, 10.69% done, 2h7m to go
config:

NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank1          ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1       ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/disk0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/disk1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/disk2  ONLINE       3 1.56M     3  148M resilvered
            gpt/disk3  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

freenas root: ZFS: vdev I/O failure, zpool=tank1 path=/dev/gpt/disk2 offset=1998251106304 size=8192 error=6
Why does zfs not notice one drive is offline!?

edit: one more thing: would it be a good idea to swap drive bays of the faulty drive to check if it's really the drive or rather the cabling? or will that mess with the remaining drives somehow?

heeen fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 7, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

McRib Sandwich posted:

Just wanted to say that this is awesome, and the price was low enough that I was compelled to make the jump.

I am running into a snag with getting this server to boot from USB though, I've had literally zero luck with it so far. In my case I'm trying to make a NexentaStor ISO into a bootable USB drive. I don't suppose anyone else has tried to make NexentaStor image bootable from USB storage? If I can't get the server to boot / install from USB, then I am going to be down a drive slot, which is rather frustrating.

You should be able to install to a USB device, but booting the install media from one is another story. Unless they specifically release a USB image, it can't be done (there's no unetbootin for Solaris the way there is for Linux). I'm pretty sure OpenIndiana and Solaris 11 Express both have released USB boot media.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich
Well, this is roundly disappointing. Finally got NexentaStor running on my ProLiant (broke down and used a SATA CD drive cause I was tired of messing with USB sticks). For some weird reason, even in a RAID 0-equivalent configuration across 4x500GB drives, I can't seem to coax more than about 30MB/s out of the system. This is over CIFS, gigabit, from the server to a Mac OS X client. Maxed out the server with the 8GB ECC RAM that Galler linked to in his howto, so I don't think memory is a constraint here.

Something I noticed during the file transfers is that the disks are rarely getting hit -- the HDD activity light comes on only in spurts. Some of this is expected due to the way ZFS works with the disks, but it makes me wonder where the bottleneck is occurring here. It didn't matter if I configured my disks a RAID-Z, RAID-Z2 or RAID 0 equivalent, I was always stuck between 20-30MB/s read or write. I know almost no one else here is running NexentaStor, but maybe you've got an idea about what might be going wrong here? This has been a pretty frustrating foray so far, I had comparable Nexenta performance on my VM, with 4 virtual disks being read from a laptop drive...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
If anyone is looking for an up-to-five-drive NAS box that's also a pretty decent PC for any number of reasons, I'm selling my old server in SA Mart. If I didn't have a Dell server now, I'd gladly go back to it, but I do have a Dell server. This box is like a Proliant Microserver on steroids. Link.