Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

spincube posted:

So what was the name of the show where a group of kids had to start at the bottom of a building and solve Crystal Maze-y puzzles on each floor, going up towards the penthouse at the top using the lifts? This would have been a BBC show, mid nineties. Like Finders Keepers, I've never been able to convince anyone else it existed at all.

Yeah! I had a sort of weird Max Headcase-type guy as presenter, didn't it? He was scary.

I seem to recall one of the games was set on a giant kitchen table, where the kids had to jump into a swimming-pool sized bowl of soup and hunt for giant letters to win a prize.

Childrens' TV of the mid-nineties was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Kin posted:

It's weird because for where it is, as far as i understand, it's one of the businest parts of london, so i don't know how it could get so dilapidated. It seemed like some seedy place that you stumble into when you're in central europe somewhere or like some 80's dystopian vision of the future. A bit more smoke and some japanese writing and i might as well have been in Blade Runner.

Not been in the ladies lavs in the sports bar I take it then? The distopian future is now. One day I'll walk in there and there will be waves of pidgeons on fire.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Irisi posted:

Yeah! I had a sort of weird Max Headcase-type guy as presenter, didn't it? He was scary.

I seem to recall one of the games was set on a giant kitchen table, where the kids had to jump into a swimming-pool sized bowl of soup and hunt for giant letters to win a prize.

Childrens' TV of the mid-nineties was the best.

Yes! I remember that soup! I thought it might be Funhouse but I'm not sure. I do remember Funhouse had a go-karting section.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
According to a distant sense memory that was activated by reading the sentence "a giant kitchen table, where the kids had to jump into a swimming-pool sized bowl of soup and hunt for giant letters to win a prize" I have a feeling that show was on ITV. If my idiot mush brain is to be trusted the guy presenting it kind of looked like he was from that band Cartoons.

edit: just looked up that Cartoons music video on youtube and pissed myself laughing.

Wormophile fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 6, 2011

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
It was Incredible Games, apparently. It was BBC after all and starred none other than David Walliams in the first series. Seemingly it clashed with Funhouse on CITV, so I must have only seen it once or twice.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
I went on a "Back in my day" quest a few months back. One of the theme tunes I most vividly remembered was Animal Hospital. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWhJuOfWeSs I think it was on weekday evenings or something like that. Rolf Harris = 90s superstar.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soVnzzJatNU&t=2m50s

Whoa, David Walliams. And that wiggy music. It's odd how these kinds of shows have evolved from things like The Generation Game to The Crystal Maze. Hard to really say what the current gameshow setting is, though they seem to mostly take the tension and set dressing from Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. And though a lot of these shows now have big cash prizes they usually only do one an episode as they crawl along at such an artificially slow pace.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Needs more Byker Grove, where were you when PJ was blinded? :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dr Snofeld posted:

It was Incredible Games, apparently. It was BBC after all and starred none other than David Walliams in the first series. Seemingly it clashed with Funhouse on CITV, so I must have only seen it once or twice.

Is this the same one with the laser grid and creepy guy who looked like Darth Vader? The kids had to move along the grid lines and if Vader caught them they were lost forever.

The only decent kids show in recent years was Raven. That was pretty good, and had a final challenge even more unbeatable than Knightmare.

shabutie
Aug 19, 2005

Peter Simon who did presented the games bit of live & kicking is a presenter on one of those auction channels now, a bit of my childhood dies every time I see it :smith:

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Rarity posted:

Is this the same one with the laser grid and creepy guy who looked like Darth Vader? The kids had to move along the grid lines and if Vader caught them they were lost forever.

The only decent kids show in recent years was Raven. That was pretty good, and had a final challenge even more unbeatable than Knightmare.

Oh no way there have been loads of decent kids shows! Sorry I've got no head, Stupid, that sort of prison talent show thing, Young Dracula and Horrible Histories are all shows I would have loved when I was younger.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Is he still doing bid up/price drop tv?

Daytime tv is now filled with Waybaloo and Rastamouse rather than bad teleshopping channels.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Rarity posted:

what about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMavwC-Zb0

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I already said it was Incredible Games and it owned. :mad:

And yeah, it was the one with the dark knight guy on the green lasery grid.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Needs more Byker Grove, where were you when PJ was blinded? :colbert:

Me meeht! Ah've bliyndid me meeht!

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Not been in the ladies lavs in the sports bar I take it then? The distopian future is now. One day I'll walk in there and there will be waves of pidgeons on fire.

Oh my god, that bar. It can't be possible for the ladies to be worse than the gents. It just can't. I really need to figure out an alternative source of free public conveniences in that region so I never have to venture into that place again. The bathroom in Saw looked more pleasant and sanitary, even by the end of the film.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 6, 2011

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

spincube posted:

Also, didn't Neil Buchanan present some kind of show about the paranormal on ITV? I remember that having really, really weird theme music.
I remember he co-presented a show called 'It's A Mystery', with memorably spooky theme music. Terrified me as a child.

Rarity posted:

Was this called 'Virtually Impossible'?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Does anyone remember a kid's show that ran for an entire summer holiday many, many years ago? It had this character named Reg who wore a sort of plastic hat in the shape of a quiff, and he looked vaguely like a 50s rocker. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think it also had Mark Speight presenting, and he tended to wear a blue suit and had very, very blonde hair. Also, they showed the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

I seriously hope someone remembers this, I think I may have gone mad otherwise.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Daktar posted:

Does anyone remember a kid's show that ran for an entire summer holiday many, many years ago? It had this character named Reg who wore a sort of plastic hat in the shape of a quiff, and he looked vaguely like a 50s rocker. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think it also had Mark Speight presenting, and he tended to wear a blue suit and had very, very blonde hair. Also, they showed the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

Did it have a spinning red ufo in the titles?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Trickjaw posted:

Did it have a spinning red ufo in the titles?

I seem to recall something along those lines. Though you may have just implanted a false memory.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
There is a CBBC kids show at the moment that is a half hour version of The Mole, with a kid having to sabotage a task. After the kids vote for who they think is the mole and their reasoning is often hilarious.

Also if the task is a failure the witch like host tells them "You have failed!.... Miserably!!!" It's probably what Goons will go banging on about in this thread in the year 2026.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
It's called Trapped and yeah, it's pretty awesome.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Daktar posted:

I seem to recall something along those lines. Though you may have just implanted a false memory.

I have just gone through my LOG dvds for you- at no charge- as I remember the opening showing up on Pauline's telly whilst the Job shop calls her up to work in the burger shop. It says Dog Dinousaur World, which makes no sense and does not ring a bell, and google has feck all on it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

spincube posted:

Also, didn't Neil Buchanan present some kind of show about the paranormal on ITV? I remember that having really, really weird theme music.

Yes, he absolutely did! It was called It's a Mystery and was just reenactments of bizarre little mysteries and scary things. I especially remember the titles had a skeleton hand beckoning.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mellomeh posted:

I remember he co-presented a show called 'It's A Mystery', with memorably spooky theme music. Terrified me as a child.

Was this called 'Virtually Impossible'?

Holy crap I think I love you. I knew something like Virtually Impossible existed, but everyone only suggested Knightmare, but I knew that wasn't it. drat that VR stuff looks dated now. I think they all had some variant of escape-the-creepy-bad-guy, but Incredible Games owns because he teleported them into the laundry.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Earlier I watched Superheroes of Suburbia that was on 4od. I thought it was quite good, unsure about the whole documentary aspect but it made me laugh a few times. It's about three people around England who dress as heroes and then try to fight crime.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Daktar posted:

That would have been Scratchy and Co. I wasn't really a fan; I only watched because Gail Porter would occasionally appear.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching latter-day episodes of Absolutely Fabulous, and I have to ask, why the Hell did they give so much screen time to Mo Gaffney? Is she huge in Britain or something? That goddamn preacher character is so shrill, even on what's already a broad over-the-top show. Did she save Jennifer Saunders from drowning?

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

Wormophile posted:

that sort of prison talent show thing,

That would be The Slammer

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

incredible bear posted:

There is a CBBC kids show at the moment that is a half hour version of The Mole, with a kid having to sabotage a task. After the kids vote for who they think is the mole and their reasoning is often hilarious.

Also if the task is a failure the witch like host tells them "You have failed!.... Miserably!!!" It's probably what Goons will go banging on about in this thread in the year 2026.

It's not on now, but I quite liked Raven as far as newish kids fantasy-based game shows go. Instead of putting them into a cutting-edge virtual fantasy world like Knightmare did, or making elaborate sets like The Crystal Maze, the BBC just had a guy in a cloak take some kids to run around a forest and jump in a lake a bit. That said, though it's cheap, it's not bad. I used to watch it instead of the news before work.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
I used to love how seriously that show took itself.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Daktar posted:

Sorry man im well older than most people on the Forums but that means nothing. I do remember the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon though. (that was poo poo even when I was that age)

So no sorry, not a clue what you on about. Head doctor?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

justcola posted:

Earlier I watched Superheroes of Suburbia that was on 4od. I thought it was quite good, unsure about the whole documentary aspect but it made me laugh a few times. It's about three people around England who dress as heroes and then try to fight crime.

And they're all somewhat mentally ill (no joke).

Felt a little bit exploitative to be honest.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I was always a Citv kid, but the one BBC thing I liked was their Demon Headmaster adaptations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Szmitten posted:

I was always a Citv kid, but the one BBC thing I liked was their Demon Headmaster adaptations.

I used to like Ghost Hunter until it got into weird time travel stories.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Wot, no Look & Read and the Uncle Jack adaptions?

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Graviton v2 posted:

Sorry man im well older than most people on the Forums but that means nothing. I do remember the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon though. (that was poo poo even when I was that age)

So no sorry, not a clue what you on about. Head doctor?

I remember it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TijnZsmbGo&feature=related

Edit: Doh, just saw that MisterLizard already answered this.

Lord Dekks fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 7, 2011

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Here is a special celebrity edition of Incredible Games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYK-1ICTdYk

Yes, it features THE DARK KNIGHT'S LAIR!!!!!!!!!!!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Trin Tragula posted:

Here is a special celebrity edition of Incredible Games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYK-1ICTdYk

Yes, it features THE DARK KNIGHT'S LAIR!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the 3rd time that link's been posted on this very page.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

justcola posted:

Huh, apparently this isn't a mockumentary like I had assumed it was. I knew they had these people in America, since CLiNT had an article interviewing a few of them, but I wasn't aware it had caught on here. I'll have to tune in from now on.

Some might call this irresponsible and inevitably tragic vigilantism, but I sort of like to think of it as The Big Society in full effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Lord Dekks posted:

I remember it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TijnZsmbGo&feature=related

Edit: Doh, just saw that MisterLizard already answered this.
I find that genuinely terrifying, i could almost feel the onset of a fit halfway through.