Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Have you goons been having problems with never getting vibration when you receive a text message? That's my primary means of communication, and I am sick of checking my phone every ten minutes for surprise messages.

This mainly happened with the last few CM7 updates on my EVO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

To Dominoes: for those phones not receiving update support from manufacturers (say, those on 2.1 or 2.1 with no 2.3 updates on the horizon), custom ROMs are worth looking into.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

CombatMedic posted:

Yeah, but then I don't get alerts when I get a voicemail. Why did Google not think that I might not want to get my texts through their program?

If you don't mash the ok button on your way through setting up Google voice the first time you don't have these problems. I receive my texts normally through my phone and get voicemail forwarded to Google voice just like on any other carrier and it works perfectly.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
From what I can tell, there is still no solution to rooting the newer Evo 4g? I just got my replacement phone today and I am a very sad boy.

e: I'm dying here, my phone feels useless with sense ui.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 7, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

CombatMedic posted:

Yeah, but then I don't get alerts when I get a voicemail. Why did Google not think that I might not want to get my texts through their program?

Huh. I get a text from voice when I someone leaves me a voicemail. Maybe check the app thread and see if you did everything they told me?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

CombatMedic posted:

I'm not having any luck with Google Voice. I want to use it for Voicemail only (Evo 4G running CM7). I do NOT want to use it for texts. There doesn't seem to be any way to stop it from intercepting my texts. I've gone to the Google Voice settings online, and in the app, but I can't figure it out.

What do you mean? Did you change to GV as your voicemail provider?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Ended going back to CM7. I tried Bionix, everything was fine exept when I went to go make a call it says android process fail. Fixed permissions and rebooted, still got the same thing. GPS and everything else worked fine. So many tradeoffs I don't know why.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I'm still on the fence as to whether I should jump to CM7 or MIUI. I'm currently using a Droid X with Liberty GB v0.9. I'm more inclined to move away from Liberty though since the current devs seem to be working on Justice more these days.

My only gripe is will they ever figure out a way to manipulate the GB kernel to allow ROMs like CM7/MIUI to work, as they did with the Froyo kernel (through 2nd init)? And should I even wait at all for this to happen? Or should I just stay where I am at the moment?

As far as features go, I'm definitely a fan of the battery life on Liberty, as well as the fact that I can use the Blur camera over the lovely AOSP version. The latter option doesn't seem to work too well on CM7 or MIUI, which is a near-dealbreaker for me.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Dancing Peasant posted:

As far as features go, I'm definitely a fan of the battery life on Liberty, as well as the fact that I can use the Blur camera over the lovely AOSP version. The latter option doesn't seem to work too well on CM7 or MIUI, which is a near-dealbreaker for me.

Even the Froyo version of MIUI has a custom camera app rather than the AOSP one.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!

b0nes posted:

What do you mean? Did you change to GV as your voicemail provider?

I've been using Google Voice for a while now as the voicemail program, since the Sprint VM app didn't work with CyanogenMod.

I recently updated, and wanted a clean wipe of the phone, so I had to re-install Voice, only this time it did the "Sprint integration" step, which apparently opts you into receiving your texts through Google Voice. I'm a creature of habit, and I miss having my texts come through Handcent.

So far, the responses I've gotten tell me to turn off GV notifications. Which would be fine, except that Handcent stopped notifying me of texts when GV took over. It also means I won't be notified when GV gets a voicemail.

Am I missing a menu option online?

edit: Well, at least I'm not the only one. http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=2d0f1b0b2c4465c8&hl=en

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 7, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Turned off notifications on the phone, turned on "Send a text to this phone" on the website, everything works fine for me except voicemail notifications.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!

Leathal posted:

Turned off notifications on the phone, turned on "Send a text to this phone" on the website, everything works fine for me except voicemail notifications.

Considering the only reason I started using Google Voice was as a Voicemail client for AOSP ROMs, this is a stupidly broken "feature".

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Dancing Peasant posted:

I'm still on the fence as to whether I should jump to CM7 or MIUI. I'm currently using a Droid X with Liberty GB v0.9. I'm more inclined to move away from Liberty though since the current devs seem to be working on Justice more these days.

My only gripe is will they ever figure out a way to manipulate the GB kernel to allow ROMs like CM7/MIUI to work, as they did with the Froyo kernel (through 2nd init)? And should I even wait at all for this to happen? Or should I just stay where I am at the moment?

I don't think it needs to be a big decision on switching. It probably takes me an 20 minutes to switch roms so I try out most things that come around. I'm thinking about trying out MIUI just to see it even though I know the froyo kernel is going to give me reboots.

I wouldn't expect them to be ported to the GB kernel soon because the exploit used for 2nd-init doesn't work on the GB kernel as it does on froyo. Cvpcs said he was looking into it but that it was low priority.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Dancing Peasant posted:

The new version of MIUI (1.8.5 I think?) seemed to be giving me really good battery life again, and has the MIUI camera instead of the AOSP camera. Overall it's still not as stable as Liberty, and I don't think you can use the shutter button on the camera still.

I'd say CM7 and MIUI are both to the point where it's definitively usable and worth trying out if you have an hour or two to spare.

On a related note, I should be able to swap between CM7 and MIUI without major issues, right? That shouldn't require an sbf like going from a gingerbread based rom would.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I want to know what I can do about my buggy/2sec+ latency Droid. I've reset the phone twice (using Recovery and Titanium), flashed CM7 both times. Just the other night, I couldn't unlock the phone at all because the unlocker would stutter. What should I try at this point?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

CombatMedic posted:

Considering the only reason I started using Google Voice was as a Voicemail client for AOSP ROMs, this is a stupidly broken "feature".

Voice->more->settings-> Check text messages, uncheck inbox notifications. Have "send me a text to [sprint phone number] under the voice options online. That is what I have right now, And while voice still gets my texts, it gives me no notification and does not replace handcent. All this is after enabling sprint integration. When someone calls my cell and I don't pick up, they can leave a message to my voice account. If all that doesn't work, just read the app thread. I asked about this not one whole page ago and they were able to clear it up.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm getting ready to root my Droid X as it's been a bit buggy the past few months with random reboots etc. However I'm getting a little confused with all the different revision numbers. I'm currently running Verizon Gingerbread OTA, according to my phone it's Android v. 2.3.3 and System v. 4.5.596.MB810.Verizon.en.US.

I'm currently digging around the XDA DX forum, but I'm not sure if I need revert back to a Froyo build before moving forward with CM7 or MIUI (or something else, not sure what I want to do just yet).

I have z4 Mod installed (from a past endeavor into rooting that I decided I didn't have enough time to dick with my phone once I got to that point) and am currently running it. IIRC, when I started this it was because I saw CM7 had been released for the DX and wanted to play with it. I think there was a mention that either the camera or GPS wasn't functioning with CM7, I can probably live without the camera, but I use the GPS pretty regularly. Is it functional at this point?

Meh, sorry for the scattered post & train of thought, but that's where am I with this process, somewhat scattered.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

highme posted:

I'm getting ready to root my Droid X as it's been a bit buggy the past few months with random reboots etc. However I'm getting a little confused with all the different revision numbers. I'm currently running Verizon Gingerbread OTA, according to my phone it's Android v. 2.3.3 and System v. 4.5.596.MB810.Verizon.en.US.

I'm currently digging around the XDA DX forum, but I'm not sure if I need revert back to a Froyo build before moving forward with CM7 or MIUI (or something else, not sure what I want to do just yet).

I have z4 Mod installed (from a past endeavor into rooting that I decided I didn't have enough time to dick with my phone once I got to that point) and am currently running it. IIRC, when I started this it was because I saw CM7 had been released for the DX and wanted to play with it. I think there was a mention that either the camera or GPS wasn't functioning with CM7, I can probably live without the camera, but I use the GPS pretty regularly. Is it functional at this point?

Meh, sorry for the scattered post & train of thought, but that's where am I with this process, somewhat scattered.

You need to SBF back to .340 Froyo before you can root and install CM7. There are fixes for the camera and GPS I'm pretty sure.

Google for the Linux bootable CD (droidxforums thread titled something like Linux solution to your RSDlite problems) to SBF as that is the easiest way to do it. You just boot up the CD, plug in your X and it does the work.

jfreder fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 8, 2011

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

highme posted:

GPS is totally functional in the latest nightly (and has been for a long time) without any modifications. Camera and Torch need an extra .zip install whenever you flash a new nightly.

highme
May 25, 2001

I used one of the Linux to SBF discs to revert back to froyo. Jumped through the hoops to install the latest nightly of CM7 and ended up caught in what I'm assuming is a boot loop (skateboard dude would zoom in, then the CM7 logo animation would run a few seconds, before repeating all over again).

I just got back to a rooted froyo platform and will redo the process with a day older build.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

highme posted:

I used one of the Linux to SBF discs to revert back to froyo. Jumped through the hoops to install the latest nightly of CM7 and ended up caught in what I'm assuming is a boot loop (skateboard dude would zoom in, then the CM7 logo animation would run a few seconds, before repeating all over again).

I just got back to a rooted froyo platform and will redo the process with a day older build.

Do a factory reset in CWM next time you hit a boot loop. That has solved the issue for me almost every time and saved me from having to start over by SBF'ing.

highme
May 25, 2001

I think I tried that. This time through the process I grabbed the Rom Manager and since the free version doesn't automatically install/dl CM7 apps I figured I'd see what MIUI was like. I hit a boot loop issue with it, but did the factory wipe reset and it worked.

So far, I'm not a huge fan of this wannabe iPhone interface, so I'm going to retry getting CM7 to work again.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Anyone know how long until there's a usable CM7 for Evo 3D?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

blargle posted:

Anyone know how long until there's a usable CM7 for Evo 3D?

Honestly, there isn't an answer for that. CM devs don't set dates and belligerently remind people of that (hell it's in their modified Help widget on boot).

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Honestly, there isn't an answer for that. CM devs don't set dates and belligerently remind people of that (hell it's in their modified Help widget on boot).

Even a place to check for updates would be nice. I'm not sure myself where to track any sort of progress.

Kinda sucks that the rom scene is basically "Wait for CM7 or MIUI if you want something good. Otherwise, use ~ViperAnimeFontSuperROM~ with maybe five things changed from stock."

Hopefully this will change as roms gain wider appeal.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Krittick posted:

Kinda sucks that the rom scene is basically "Wait for CM7 or MIUI if you want something good. Otherwise, use ~ViperAnimeFontSuperROM~ with maybe five things changed from stock."

It won't since a large portion of the real Android dev community is associated with either of those ROMs. You have your exceptions in each device community and the kernel guys, but this statement still generally holds true.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I remember when cyanogenmod was "that really crappy ROM that isn't Sense" on page 3 of the HTC Dream development section. :v:

Ah those were the days.

/hipster

Edit:

Krittick posted:

I'm not sure myself where to track any sort of progress.
lurk in their SUPER EXCLUSIVE IRC CHANNELZ. No, really. That's about your only option.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 8, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

quadratic posted:

Something is definitely wrong with your install. 3G should work. GPS may or may not, but 3G should without question.

OK I can confirm that I have hsdpa now did a speed test got 3.6 down aparrently the 2g/3g switch doesn't work right.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'd use MIUI on the EVO more often if I didn't have to worry about application compatibility modes and weird font/text issues.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Krittick posted:

So, CyanogenMod is pretty much the AOSP source-based ROM, mostly since a shitload of effort was placed into it to get it to run on a bunch of devices. Although hopefully at some point, we'll see more prominent derivatives based on it like MIUI.

The problem is that platform sources are, for the most part, unavailable with vendor ROMs, and their framework modifications run pretty deep. This makes doing any code-level changes, outside the kernel, a giant pain in the rear end. Which is why most vendor-ROM derivatives basically have an overclock kernel, new theme, and maybe one or two minor framework changes. Then, when vendors finally do release new ROM versions, inevitably everything is different framework-wise and whatever changes were made have to be ported over.

So basically, "serious developers" won't waste their time hacking on a vendor ROM for too long if they can avoid it (i.e., a CyanogenMod port either exists or can be feasibly made).

sl0wturtle
Jul 5, 2011
I just bought a nexus s 4g, can I un-do the rooting and revert back to factory state in case I don't want it anymore? I really want to root the thing, but kind of hesitant because of this.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

sl0wturtle posted:

I just bought a nexus s 4g, can I un-do the rooting and revert back to factory state in case I don't want it anymore? I really want to root the thing, but kind of hesitant because of this.

Yes, it's completely reversible.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Krittick posted:

Even a place to check for updates would be nice. I'm not sure myself where to track any sort of progress.

I know it has Comic Sans in the OP, but have you tried Synergy ROM yet?

I'm getting better battery life than stock and there's a lot of little usability tweaks like brightness controls in the notification bar and some nice eyecandy (including the Gingerbread CRT animation).

Not too bad if we're gonna be stuck with Sense until CM7/MIUI get released.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
So I managed to wipe my phone because I didn't lock the thing before putting it in my pocket. I somehow managed to select wiping it and confirming by walking, clockwork can't find anything to recover. Is there any other program I should try or just start downloading everything again?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Wow really? That's some impressive pocket presses.

What kind of phone? Can you flash a downgrade or anything like that?

Doesn't wiping it just put it back to a fresh install of the ROM? I'd think you'd be able to get into the phone.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So basically, "serious developers" won't waste their time hacking on a vendor ROM for too long if they can avoid it (i.e., a CyanogenMod port either exists or can be feasibly made).

And then you have developers who don't overly care about CM7 like supercurio where his sound work on the SGS1/asus transformer is seriously amazing (it has been ported over to custom kernels though).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tornhelm posted:

And then you have developers who don't overly care about CM7 like supercurio where his sound work on the SGS1/asus transformer is seriously amazing (it has been ported over to custom kernels though).
Supercurio's voodoo sound work is largely independent of the CyanogenMod/manufactuter ROM split. I believe the patches work with any kernel that's vaguely AOSPish, which is all of them.

The rest of his work SGS-work (e.g, voodoo lagfix) is Samsung ROM focused, mostly because CyanogenMod wasn't a feasible option on Samsung until rather recently, so there's little option. Even there, it's still largely kernel focused, and what parts do touch the ROM are independent of the Android framework.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Sure his work is kernel related, but categorising developers like that is fairly disingenuous - especially when you look at the devs who have worked on the sgs line of phones.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tornhelm posted:

Sure his work is kernel related, but categorising developers like that is fairly disingenuous - especially when you look at the devs who have worked on the sgs line of phones.
How so?

I think Supercurio is a fine developer, but my earlier point is that you won't find many framework hackers outside CyanogenMod/MIUI (or other source-based ROMs) because it's a pain in the rear end. Supercurio's stuff exists outside the scope of the Android framework, which is great, but my point is that vendor-ROM derivatives aren't all that functionally different from stock ROMs the way the CyanogenMod is precisely because it's a giant pain in the rear end.

SGS ROMs are a bit of an exception as a stable CyanogenMod port was unavailable for so long. But even there, most of SGS ROM development was fixing poo poo Samsung broke on the device, which while totally necessary, isn't adding a bunch of framework-level functionality.

Edit: More to the point, supercurio is a "serious developer", and he appears to avoid spending time hacking on vendor ROMs. His work is largely kernel and initramfs related, along with app-level development to complement that.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I keep having to reapply my widgets on every CM7 nightly I install since it shows "Problem displaying widget". It's a minor annoyance, but is this happening to anyone else?