Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

I'm just trying to understand shares and have a few questions.

Firstly, if I bought enough shares in a company, would I become the owner and manager of said company? For example, say that Amazon has 1 million shares, I then went and bought 1.1 million of them, would I then own Amazon?

If so, if someone is putting their relatively new company on the stock market (if that's the correct term) wouldn't they be very nervous that some rich rear end in a top hat suddenly takes over their company that they put a lot of time and effort into and puts them out of work?

Do some companies decide not to put themself on the stock market out of fear of this happening? Is doing the stock market thing something companies don't want to do but do it because of the capital they can get from it?

Secondly, how do I see how much a company is worth? I've know how to see how much the shares are worth each, but can I see the total amount of shares associated with a company? Can I work out the value of a company by (share price)*(share quantity)=company value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
You can decide how much stocks you want to publicly sell. So for example you can keep 51% of the stocks split between the creators of the company and publicly trade the rest of the 49%.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Long Wang posted:

Firstly, if I bought enough shares in a company, would I become the owner and manager of said company? For example, say that Amazon has 1 million shares, I then went and bought 1.1 million of them, would I then own Amazon?

If a company has a millions shares, you can't buy 1.1 million shares in that company. I don't even understand how you think that could be possible. With 500,001 shares, though, you would have a controlling interest, and you would then essentially own the company. That's basically how hostile takeovers work. I mean, there's more to it than that, but that's the hard part.

Rubies posted:

...I don't like bed frames because they make too much noise when you're loving someone.

My experience is that women are more enthusiastic about getting into a proper bed than a mattress on the floor. At least once you're past your early twenties. I've also found that most of the noise doesn't come from the bed frame, if you know what I mean. My sample size is way to small to be statistically significant, though.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Eyeball posted:

If a company has a millions shares, you can't buy 1.1 million shares in that company. I don't even understand how you think that could be possible. With 500,001 shares, though, you would have a controlling interest, and you would then essentially own the company. That's basically how hostile takeovers work. I mean, there's more to it than that, but that's the hard part.

I'm pretty sure this is just a communication error. I think what he's saying is, "If Amazon owned 1 million shares of themselves, out of X millions floating around out there in the market, could I buy available shares until I owned more stock in Amazon than Amazon does itself?"

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

Pogo the Clown posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just a communication error. I think what he's saying is, "If Amazon owned 1 million shares of themselves, out of X millions floating around out there in the market, could I buy available shares until I owned more stock in Amazon than Amazon does itself?"

Well, to be honest I thought that shares were 'created' when you bought them and there was no limit to how many you could buy.

I'm guessing now that the company sets the number of shares and that if you tried to purchase more shares 'floating in the market' than the company owned then you would get to a point where you could purchase no more shares.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Long Wang posted:

I'm guessing now that the company sets the number of shares and that if you tried to purchase more shares 'floating in the market' than the company owned then you would get to a point where you could purchase no more shares.

Companies can also (and I forget the term for this) split shares, so that there are more, but they're worth less than the old ones.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
It's called a stock split.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I asked this in the audio thread, but it's a bit slow so I'll ask here as well:

I'm listening to a recording of dialogue in a room. Is there something fairly easy I can do with a program out there that lets me cut out any part of the track that is less than X decibels? So there are bits and sometimes gaps of silence that I'd like to be found and cut out automatically; is this possible?

I looked around a little bit in Audacity and there's a silence finding tool, but it just marks the areas of silence as far as I can tell.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Long Wang posted:

For the case of Amazon.com, there's apparently about 454,000,000 shares of stock. As such, each share makes you the proud owner of 1/454,000,000 of the company. Owning stock (generally) gives you the right to a vote on how the company is run, with your vote being counted in proportion to the number of shares you own. In practice you'd need millions of shares for your vote to be meaningful, but if you bought up a few million shares of stock then in fact you would have a real say as to how Amazon operated. If you bought 227,000,000 shares, you'd be in possession of more than half the votes and you'd effectively be in charge of the company. At current prices this would cost you around $45 billion, and your act of buying all those shares would probably drive prices up.

Buying a controlling share is not always possible, since if someone already owns 50% + 1 shares they're not under any obligation to sell their shares at any price.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Since mp3's are lossy, if you open up an mp3 and recompress it several times in an editor, will there be a noticeable loss in quality ever, like with jpegs?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Since mp3's are lossy, if you open up an mp3 and recompress it several times in an editor, will there be a noticeable loss in quality ever, like with jpegs?

You do lose quality. Now if or not you can hear the sound loss depends on a variety of factors such as how well your own hearing is and what you're using to listen to the audio. Cheap computer speakers probably won't have any difference between a low bit rate mp3 and a FLAC file.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Why do white trash meatheads say things like "uhhh, yeah, THAT just happened"? Is it like a "I think therefore I am" reminder?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
How is "I think therefore I am" a reminder? What is it a reminder of?

Anyway, the phrase, "that just happened," is usually used to acknowledge that an event occurred, but that it was unexpected or otherwise difficult to process. Humans like to talk about things, especially things that happen. Sometimes humans want to talk about a thing that has happened, but they don't really have much to say about it except that it happened. Also sometimes there's an implied, "but I don't want to talk about how it came to happen, or who might be responsible for it happening."

It's also probably more comparable to "it is what it is," than to "I think therefore I am."

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Why do white trash meatheads say things like "uhhh, yeah, THAT just happened"? Is it like a "I think therefore I am" reminder?

It's a "funny" way of saying "that was weird". It will go away.

I remember a few years ago in college every idiot I knew would go around saying "I heart you" and "You're a gentleman and a scholar" every five minutes like it was the greatest thing ever.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Of course, but you won't notice it if you don't really know what the original sounded like. Speakers of average quality are fine for hearing the difference if you have the original handy.

Human Tornada posted:

I remember a few years ago in college every idiot I knew would go around saying "I heart you".,,
My friend Joel used to say that almost 15 years ago.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I've been hearing "you're a gentleman and a scholar" for like twenty years and it started getting annoying the third or fourth time, but i have never noticed a spike or dip in its popularity.

The first time I noticed "So... that happened," was Alec Baldwin in State and Main, which came out in 2000. I thought it was a pretty funny line. Does it predate that?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
The only person I've ever heard say "You're a gentleman and a scholar" is my father, and he's been saying that for at least 30 years. I've certainly never heard college kids saying it. Anyway, I don't see what's so offensive about it. It's not like they're misusing the word "literally" or something.

I think some of you are using local trends as a meter for an entire population when it's only common within your town.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Melicious posted:

The only person I've ever heard say "You're a gentleman and a scholar" is my father, and he's been saying that for at least 30 years. I've certainly never heard college kids saying it. Anyway, I don't see what's so offensive about it. It's not like they're misusing the word "literally" or something.

I think some of you are using local trends as a meter for an entire population when it's only common within your town.

Who said anything about an entire population? My point was that sometimes little sayings go through certain peer groups (e.g. every idiot I knew) and get parroted ad nauseam for a few months and then die out.

There's nothing offensive about it other than hearing it fifty times a night because college kids are trying to be quirky.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Melicious posted:

"I haven't heard anyone use it, so clearly your limited experience is misleading you."

I love the internet.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I work for a small business, and my company's e-mails keep getting automatically captured by Junk mail folders. Is there a quick fix for this?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Tostito posted:

I work for a small business, and my company's e-mails keep getting automatically captured by Junk mail folders. Is there a quick fix for this?

Can you post an example of one of the emails here? You might be using words in the subject line or body of the email that set off spam filters. There are heaps of lists online of common trigger words, looking at those might help. Eg. if you're using 'free' in a subject line, that can cause your emails to go to spam.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
We're a tiny marketing and advertising firm trying to run promotions for our website development and design. We're targeting other small local businesses that may not have the best websites so one of the e-mails started with just a quick lead in on some statistics:

"Do you know how much the Internet affects your business? According to https://www.internetworldstats.com 77.3% of Americans are Internet users, with 44.3% of the United States population on Facebook. That totals to almost 144 million people. For better or for worse, the Internet has massive influence over our everyday lives and our businesses. Even small businesses are greatly affected by our digital age."

And the subject line was "Get your business moving with (our name)"

If I had to guess, maybe the spam filters see "business" and "Internet" and think it's one of those MLM spam e-mails.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Is there an unsubscribe link? Are people opting-in or are you just sending unsolicited emails?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Tostito posted:

We're a tiny marketing and advertising firm trying to run promotions for our website development and design. We're targeting other small local businesses that may not have the best websites so one of the e-mails started with just a quick lead in on some statistics:

If I had to guess, maybe the spam filters see "business" and "Internet" and think it's one of those MLM spam e-mails.

Also, the one paragraph of text with one URL in the email is most certainly a trigger. When I look through my Gmail Spam folder I find lots of "girls" telling me about them in a paragraph including one URL to some web profile with "pictures you haven't seen before".

Either way, you're (probably) sending unsolicited email advertising, which is what spam filters were made for. v:shobon:v

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
We will definitely have to make some adjustments. Thank you for your help. This particular one was unsolicited which I suppose explains mostly everything...

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Tostito posted:

"Do you know how much the Internet affects your business? According to https://www.internetworldstats.com 77.3% of Americans are Internet users, with 44.3% of the United States population on Facebook. That totals to almost 144 million people. For better or for worse, the Internet has massive influence over our everyday lives and our businesses. Even small businesses are greatly affected by our digital age."

And the subject line was "Get your business moving with (our name)"

That's pretty drat spammy-looking. If I got this email, personally, I wouldn't bother to open it before clicking the "Mark as Spam" button, and then you're pretty much hosed. Enough people doing this can do damage to your domain name.

You might want to consider a bulk emailing service, if you're not already using one. The established ones have sort of a quasi-trusted status with most major email providers. They are used primarily for advertising, but they only take legitimate customers (no "v1agr3h 4 ur r0d!!!" type stuff), and they provide all of the necessary opt-out stuff for you. You might also want to consult with someone in SEO, to rewrite your message to be less spammy. I mean, I don't know exactly (or even kind-of) how Google's spam algorithms work, but you're hitting like five or six of my bullshit alarms in as many sentances.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just spent all day assembling furniture and my right thumb and forefinger are really feeling it where I was using the screwdriver. I'm guessing that I'll get some blisters on them tomorrow - is there any way to lessen the chance of this? My Google searches are just bringing up how to prevent yourself from getting them in the first place, not how to lessen their effects if you suspect they're forming.

Should I just ice them and hope for the best?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 8, 2011

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Gravity Pike posted:

You might also want to consult with someone in SEO, to rewrite your message to be less spammy. I mean, I don't know exactly (or even kind-of) how Google's spam algorithms work, but you're hitting like five or six of my bullshit alarms in as many sentances.

Don't even bother with SEO at this point. Hire a copywriter. Even if your email didn't sound like spam, it still sounds like every other business in the world.

You're telling them why they should have a web presence, not why they should hire you to make it for them. That's ultimately the core of the issue. Emails that sound like they were written by real people about actual businesses don't go into spam folders.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I'm going to replace the sink and faucet in my kitchen. I checked out Home Depot and Lowes, but their stuff feels very cheap. When I look at the reviews for the faucets on the website, they're all pretty low.

I don't mind paying extra for quality, but where should I look? Are there any particular brands I should be avoiding?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Sizzlechest posted:

I don't mind paying extra for quality, but where should I look? Are there any particular brands I should be avoiding?

We've always gone with Pfister and they've not let us down yet.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I just spent all day assembling furniture and my right thumb and forefinger are really feeling it where I was using the screwdriver. I'm guessing that I'll get some blisters on them tomorrow - is there any way to lessen the chance of this? My Google searches are just bringing up how to prevent yourself from getting them in the first place, not how to lessen their effects if you suspect they're forming.

Should I just ice them and hope for the best?

Just leave them alone. The damage is already done, to whatever degree, and your body will be busy tonight dealing with it, which, yeah, may involve puffing up some blisters, and AFAIK icing your fingers won't prevent your body from manufacturing those, since they're a function of the separation of skin layers due to physical damage. Just keep it clean.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I'm going to be buying some new headphones this month or the next. Headphones are very costly in Canada so I have some questions about importing.

What's the purpose of re-shipping, why do people do it and how does it save me money?
Why are headphones so much money in Canada to the point of being double the cost in most cases?
How do I know how much customs will charge for an item?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Sizzlechest posted:

I'm going to replace the sink and faucet in my kitchen. I checked out Home Depot and Lowes, but their stuff feels very cheap. When I look at the reviews for the faucets on the website, they're all pretty low.

There are stores that only sell kitchen and bath fixtures. I don't know what they're called collectively, but they generally have some pretty nice stuff.

Tostito posted:

Spam filters are catching your company's emails because your company is sending people spam email. The quick fix is to stop loving doing that.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
For whatever reason, the following has been on my mind:

I remember reading about two young brothers in SE Asia (maybe Cambodia or the Philipines, possibly Burma) who ran some sort of cult or military unit. Pretty sure that they were 10 and 12 when the story broke. Any idea who they might be?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_and_Luther_Htoo

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Fire In The Disco posted:

It's called a stock split.

Warren Buffet has famously never allowed his stock to split, which is why a single share of Berkshire Hathaway currently goes for ... $107,300. (he has a b-class stock that does split, though)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Cubemario posted:

Why are headphones so much money in Canada to the point of being double the cost in most cases?
The simple version of the answer is that people are willing to spend that much.

The more complex version is that they're accessories: They're more prone to impulse purchases and they're often not the items people come in for, so shoppers have a poor idea of what they're actually worth, and that makes them pretty much immune to competitive price pressure. They can, instead, price them as almost as high as will get people to say "gently caress it" and just not buy it at all. That number happens to be higher in Canada for headphones, but a lot of it is status-quo.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eyeball posted:

Spam filters are catching your company's emails because your company is sending people spam email. The quick fix is to stop loving doing that.

Also he needs to read this before he starts getting sued.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus61-can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Tostito posted:

Are you sure your e-mail is setup properly to not look spammy? This is not my first job but I know you need extra records in your DNS and all sorts of other stuff. Along with a copy writer maybe someone who knows how to setup an e-mail server would help. The other option is to outsource sending your e-mail newsletter to a trusted third party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been watching Seven Days recently, and I've been thinking.

Isn't the fact that people still die in terrorist attacks and disasters, proof that time travel doesn't exist? The bombing and shooting in Norway, mass death tolls in tsunamis, 9/11 and so on.

I mean, even if we assume the government wants to keep it secret (like in Seven Days), shouldn't we see a much lower incident of attacks or at least lower death tolls?

It's not exactly a QED-proof, but either time travel doesn't exist, or the people of the future are jerks.