Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I fear this will be seen as a "lawl im drunk kk" post, but despite my current intoxication, I feel I am required to ask:

At the bar I was just at, Point Break was playing. Because of the aforementioned intoxication, combined with the lack of sound... is it normally as confusing-to-follow as it appeared to me? Because it didnt make a lot of sense to me, and felt like I was watching three movies (Keanu as a surfer, Keanu as a police officer, Keanu as a criminal).

I'm going to be very, very embarrassed if it turns out it was multiple movies.

You watched the hallowed Point Break while intoxicated? Shame on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FishBulb posted:

The thing about Total Recall is that the whole 'is it real or a simulation' thing could be pretty interesting but since they cast Arnie nobody really cares because OF COURSE Arnie is a super hero secret agent that can kill a million dudes and save Mars. Of loving course he can, we expect no less from him.

When it was still Cronenberg's project William Hurt and Richard Dreyfus were considered for Quaid. I think people would have reacted differently to it with that kind of casting.

The Terminator movies have a similar problem. Of course Arnold cuts an imposing figure but his body type sure as poo poo doesn't make sense for a post-apocalyptic infiltrator unit. The war's been going on for 20 odd years and we're in California but sure, lets believe the bodybuilder with an Austrian accent is on the level!

The movie would have made a lot more sense with the original choice of Lance Henriksen.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
In Smokin' Aces, is Andy Garcia speaking in some kind of southern colonel accent or what?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

The Terminator movies have a similar problem. Of course Arnold cuts an imposing figure but his body type sure as poo poo doesn't make sense for a post-apocalyptic infiltrator unit. The war's been going on for 20 odd years and we're in California but sure, lets believe the bodybuilder with an Austrian accent is on the level!

The movie would have made a lot more sense with the original choice of Lance Henriksen.

Also the terminator is probably the least subtle assassin imaginable and "gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat" is about as infiltrate-y as he gets.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also the terminator is probably the least subtle assassin imaginable and "gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat" is about as infiltrate-y as he gets.

I still love the story how OJ Simpson was up for the role but they thought he would not be believable as a killer.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Uncle Ben was real, but his appearances are distorted by memory or wholly invented.

Was Uncle Ben's existence mentioned by one of the other characters or something? It's been a while since I've read it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I am watching Mimic right now, and a my friends and I recall another movie that was kinda similar to it that came out at roughly the same time. I am pretty sure that the cover is also green like Mimic's.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

To be fair, they show how they 'infiltrate' in Reese's dream\flashback in the first movie. It only gets as far as finding out where the human hideout is and getting its foot in the front door before it whips out the giant laser gun and starts loving poo poo up. It's not really trying to lay low and infiltrate, just catch everyone with their pants down.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Fat Lou posted:

I am watching Mimic right now, and a my friends and I recall another movie that was kinda similar to it that came out at roughly the same time. I am pretty sure that the cover is also green like Mimic's.

Are you thinking of The Relic?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Fat Lou posted:

Species (1995)?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zogo posted:

Are you thinking of The Relic?

The Relic's poster was not green but the cover of the novel it was based on is.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

muscles like this? posted:

Well if we accept T:Salv as canon, and looking at the resistance fighters they have in that movie, then fancy accents and built dudes seem pretty Common (heh) in the ranks.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
In the future, mankind lives off of nothing but protein powder and the only recreation is bench pressing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I fear this will be seen as a "lawl im drunk kk" post, but despite my current intoxication, I feel I am required to ask:

At the bar I was just at, Point Break was playing. Because of the aforementioned intoxication, combined with the lack of sound... is it normally as confusing-to-follow as it appeared to me? Because it didnt make a lot of sense to me, and felt like I was watching three movies (Keanu as a surfer, Keanu as a police officer, Keanu as a criminal).

I'm going to be very, very embarrassed if it turns out it was multiple movies.

It's not so much that the plot is confusing, as it is that it has a very surreal intensity to it- I think Kathryn Bigelow was looking to capture some of the mystic hippie-ness of surfer culture and really get into the mindset that Swayze's character has, so it feels weirder than your average cop thriller.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Anyone here know anything about British noir? An indie theater near me is doing a series of them this fall, but I know nothing about the genre - or even that it was a "thing" - or really that much about American noir either. What are some good titles, and what sorts of things should I expect thematically/know going into these films? AFAIK they haven't released the schedule yet, but I'm going to try to go to a few because these film series (they've done American noir, musicals, and usually do a 6-8 week series of Janus films once a year) are either free or like $2, so I figured it'd be worth it to see some quality films.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Does Night and the City count? Dassin was technically an American, but it was shot on location in London. If they show it, see it. Can't go wrong with sleazy Richard Widmark.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Third Man was the first one I thought of.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

dreadnought posted:

Anyone here know anything about British noir? An indie theater near me is doing a series of them this fall, but I know nothing about the genre - or even that it was a "thing" - or really that much about American noir either. What are some good titles, and what sorts of things should I expect thematically/know going into these films? AFAIK they haven't released the schedule yet, but I'm going to try to go to a few because these film series (they've done American noir, musicals, and usually do a 6-8 week series of Janus films once a year) are either free or like $2, so I figured it'd be worth it to see some quality films.

Watch Third Man. It is british noir and an amazing movie.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Third Man was the first one I thought of.

And if it were the only British film noir ever made, Britain would still be doing fine in the film noir department.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

bobkatt013 posted:

Watch Third Man. It is british noir and an amazing movie.

I had no idea it was British, but yes, I've seen it. If they end up showing it in the series, I'll probably see it again. It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but I was also a little distraught at the time I watched it. Plus I saw it on Netflix - seeing a restored print on the big screen is a totally different beast.

Any other titles I should look out for? The series will probably be six weeks or so, so there will be several others. It would help if the schedule was up, sure, but I was just curious if FFD or any other noir junkies around here had recommendations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Check out Contraband (not really a noir but fun), They Made Me a Fugitive (loving fantastic) and Odd Man Out (another Carol Reed film).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Fallen Idol, too.

Man, Carol Reed rules.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Is there any real difference between the Criterion and the current not-out-of-print version of The Third Man on blu-ray? At least, enough for me to consider finding the Criterion?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Criterion version has more extras than the current StudioCanal release, and the StudioCanal Blu-Ray has a noticeable amount of DNR applied. DVDBeaver. It's one of the better StudioCanal releases (which isn't saying a lot, frankly).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
This probably gets asked a lot but which DVD version of the original Night of the Living Dead should I get, assuming I don't care about extras and only want the best quality transfer?

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

This probably gets asked a lot but which DVD version of the original Night of the Living Dead should I get, assuming I don't care about extras and only want the best quality transfer?

I got the Elite Entertainment version, and it's pretty great. It's "THX Digitally Mastered" for what that's worth. Also, it has commentary tracks from Romero and the cast, so it's pretty "official", I guess, considering the murky rights issues surrounding this film.

I couldn't find that one on Amazon, but the "Millenium Edition" seems to be the same thing, going by the extras, so it's probably the same transfer.

:eng101: Just don't get the 30th Anniversary edition with the extra scenes. They weren't done by Romero, and they're terrible.

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 7, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Human Tornada posted:

If you have a small amount of cash and a Blu-Ray player, I think there was a region free version released in the UK

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Fat Lou posted:

This? I don't think this involves bug-like things, but I always lump these two movies together even though I've never seen this one.

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
I've a question about a certain character type that usually appears in Italian American gangster films.

He's generally the less physically intimidating underling to a mafia boss with a recognizable high pitched voice. Joe Pesci from Goodfellas would be the obvious example I can think of. And the character is definitely recycled as mafia henchman Louie in The Simpsons.

Want I want to know is if there are other examples of this character from older gangster films or from other Scorsese works?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I know tons of films go through the test audience routine, and that changes can be and usually are made to films (sometimes against the wishes of writer/directors) if audience reaction at test screenings is negative. Are there any known cases of criticism from test audiences actually improving a movie?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

I know tons of films go through the test audience routine, and that changes can be and usually are made to films (sometimes against the wishes of writer/directors) if audience reaction at test screenings is negative. Are there any known cases of criticism from test audiences actually improving a movie?

The test screening for Videodrome was overall a disaster and led to it getting a weird release that didn't find an audience, but it did tell Cronenberg that he'd edited the movie down too much and he actually had to put some stuff back in to make it more comprehensible. The preview cut was 75 minutes long.

Arguably, Little Shop of Horrors. On paper it's the old case of a downbeat ending being scrapped in favor of a happy one, but even some critics felt it was a change for the better. The stage version has a certain emotional distance which makes the 'everyone dies' ending not too tragic, but the movie ends up being more intimate and so we like the characters more.

My understanding is that actually, most of the time, a test screening can be helpful and tell you some things are working and some things aren't. The problem is when a studio uses a bad score as a pretext to step in and change everything because they wanted to in the first place.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Supposedly, the screenplay for Mrs. Doubtfire ended with the parents staying divorced, but the studio wanted a happy ending where Robin Williams and Sally Field get back together. The writer objected to this change, as it wasn't 'real' and might give kids of divorced parents false hope that their parents could reconcile.

So as it goes in Hollywood, the writer was paid and the script given to another writer who was willing to make the changes the studio wanted. The ending was filmed. The movie was screened for test audiences.

They hated it.

So the studio brought the original writer back, replaced the original ending, and movie was a hit.

Not sure how much of this is true, but that's the story.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Not quite a test screening, but Kubrick's The Shining (1980) had a couple minutes at the end cut after it had been in theatres a couple days. Originally there were a couple scenes between the shot of Jack's face and the dolly into the photo: first with cops showing up at the Overlook; then a scene at a hospital with Wendy and Danny; finally, a bunch of dollying around the Overlook corridors, ending with the dolly into the photo as in the familiar cut of the film.

Roger Ebert, in his `Movie Answer Man' column said, when asked about test screenings, that Billy Wilder `killed the first reel of Sunset Boulevard after a screening'. I don't know more about it than that, but I'd love the hear the rest of that story.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

SubG posted:

Roger Ebert, in his `Movie Answer Man' column said, when asked about test screenings, that Billy Wilder `killed the first reel of Sunset Boulevard after a screening'. I don't know more about it than that, but I'd love the hear the rest of that story.

Come to think of it, I think the same thing happened with Escape From New York.

Left Hand
Apr 5, 2011

SubG posted:

If I recall correctly, it was something along the lines of a pan across a series covered cadavers in a morgue, each relating the circumstances of their demise in a fashion similar to William Holden's opening narration. It may have been an interesting scene, but I could see how it would better serve the story to get right into it. Plus you would miss the cold open of Holden face down in the pool, and it would be pretty tough in general to improve on anything in Sunset Blvd.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think my question got buried in the Total Recall discussion, so I'll ask it again, but only this once more. What happened with the release of Ride with the Devil?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Left Hand posted:

If I recall correctly, it was something along the lines of a pan across a series covered cadavers in a morgue, each relating the circumstances of their demise in a fashion similar to William Holden's opening narration. It may have been an interesting scene, but I could see how it would better serve the story to get right into it. Plus you would miss the cold open of Holden face down in the pool, and it would be pretty tough in general to improve on anything in Sunset Blvd.

Yea, I remember hearing about that. It opened in a morgue with a lot of corpses talking amongst themselves about how they died and how they had a lot of loose ends that needed to be resolved. One corpse laments over the fact that he had a bet on a White Sox baseball game and didn't know the outcome.

The dialogue sounded hilarious but it was almost too funny for the film.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Left Hand posted:

Yeah, that's the (in)famous opening scene. As I recall the Paramount R1 DVD has a copy of the script for the scene. Ebert's comment seem to suggest there was additional material cut---the morgue opening is just a minute or two, while the `first reel' would be 10 or 12 minutes of film. Perhaps I'm just reading too much into it.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

The bollywood dance sequence in the train station in the credits of Slumdog Millionaire was the actual end of the movie originally, but the test audiences didn't like it, so they pushed it into the credits and made it more of a joke almost. Minor change, but a positive one it seemed to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
One question relating to test screenings- have rights issues ever arisen with regards to the temp score? Do filmmakers have to limit themselves to stuff the studio already has clearance for, or do they just take some of the temp tracks out before showing it to anyone?