Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

See, the thing that I liked was that the twist was that the father was not an incestous pedophile rapist.

Precisely.

The movie basically leads you down one path, and then goes "hey, you're wrong, and we've been dangling the truth in front of you the whole time. We've practically outright told you what's actually happening, but you put your faith in one guy's point of view and refused any other possibilities until it was too late, much like the character himself! You dummies."

The movie legit jangles some keys and both the characters and the audience keep their eyes on that, while the reality of what's going on goes completely ignored. And in the end, the characters are destroyed, punishing both them and the audience for following the misdirection so easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

wormil posted:

Do you mean Gom jabbar?

I did. But I am internet dyslexic.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

The Cameo posted:

Precisely.

The movie basically leads you down one path, and then goes "hey, you're wrong, and we've been dangling the truth in front of you the whole time. We've practically outright told you what's actually happening, but you put your faith in one guy's point of view and refused any other possibilities until it was too late, much like the character himself! You dummies."

The movie legit jangles some keys and both the characters and the audience keep their eyes on that, while the reality of what's going on goes completely ignored. And in the end, the characters are destroyed, punishing both them and the audience for following the misdirection so easily.

I'm a little frustrated that it didn't read that way for me.

Was there any... like, background evidence to hint at the ultimate conclusion?
Serious question. I only saw it the one time, and I don't remember it too well. I just remember being completely floored at how out of nowhere it was.
It's not like he was wrong about the girl not really being possessed. I mean, she wasn't. She just happened, peripherally, to have been impregnated with a demon baby.

also

Xenomrph posted:

I did it because the guy who responded to me did it. It's sort of a habit I do, when someone breaks out the spoiler tags, I respond in kind.
hey me too

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

When Nell is found to be pregnant, the father says what pretty much happened: that the demon possessing her, Abalam, impregnated her. But because we've been led to believe (since we're taking Cotton's point of view) that her father is a backwoods hick with a twisted moral view, we take Cotton's tack on it, that the baby comes from an incestual relationship. And then when Nell denies it, they get the story that a kid she knew got her pregnant, and when they confront that kid, he turns out to be A.) gay and B.) just someone she met once... at a party the local pastor threw. The same one who, early in the movie, says he hasn't seen Nell in a long, long time. Around this point one could/should realize that much of what you've been told and believed is misdirection, and that Nell's father has been telling the truth, and that Cotton has been operating on hunches based on the misdirection of not believing him more than anything else. At that point, everything you've been led to understand as what's going on is out the window.

I hope that paragraph makes sense.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Oh, okay. Yeah I remember the dad explaining it now.
That's not bad, then.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Cameo posted:

When Nell is found to be pregnant, the father says what pretty much happened: that the demon possessing her, Abalam, impregnated her. But because we've been led to believe (since we're taking Cotton's point of view) that her father is a backwoods hick with a twisted moral view, we take Cotton's tack on it, that the baby comes from an incestual relationship. And then when Nell denies it, they get the story that a kid she knew got her pregnant, and when they confront that kid, he turns out to be A.) gay and B.) just someone she met once... at a party the local pastor threw. The same one who, early in the movie, says he hasn't seen Nell in a long, long time. Around this point one could/should realize that much of what you've been told and believed is misdirection, and that Nell's father has been telling the truth, and that Cotton has been operating on hunches based on the misdirection of not believing him more than anything else. At that point, everything you've been led to understand as what's going on is out the window.

I hope that paragraph makes sense.
Well the problem is I guess I was expecting it to be a demon the entire time, and I never doubted the father. It was actually kind of refreshing when I thought it might be that it actually was all in her head and it was the depths of human insanity that could be that loving creepy (and breaking her own fingers and poo poo). When it did end up being a demon, just having all 3 characters get offed in rapid succession the way Nell's artwork foretold it just seemed really forced and heavy-handed. "HAY GUYS HERE'S A PICTURE OF ALL THREE OF US DEAD IN VERY VERY SPECIFIC WAYS, SHOULD WE PAY ATTENTION TO IT?" "NAH MAN IT'S JUST SOME GIRL'S CRAZY ARTWORK THERE'S NO WAY IT COULD COME TRUE" :doh:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People are talking about last Exorcism's plot and not the presentation. The ending is self-consciously fake - violating the rules of the found-footage genre and arguing, effectively, that God does not exist ("if you believe in Jesus, you must believe in demons too").

The non-existence of the demons is, simply, far more complex than Cotton's smug rationality can handle. The void left by the death of god and the failure logic is irrational and threatening beyond the scope of any science or christian theology. The horror in the film is incomprehensible to the point of being un-filmable. The pagan ritual shows us only a crude, theatrical mock-up of the true god.

"To put it in an even more pointed way: pagans were not celebrating images, they were well aware that the images they were making remained inadequate copies of the true divinity (recall the old Hindu statues of gods with dozens of hands, etc. - a clear example of how any attempt to render divinity in a sensual/material form fails by way of turning into a half-ridiculous exaggeration). In contrast to the pagans, it was the Jews themselves who believed/assumed that the (sensual/material) image of the divine Person would show too much, rendering visible some horrifying secret better left in shadow, which is why they had to prohibit it - the Jewish prohibition only has sense against the background of this fear that the image would reveal something shattering, that, in an unbearable way, it would be true and adequate."

-Slavoj Zizek, "From Proto-Reality to the Act"
http://www.lacan.com/zizproto.htm

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I bring this up every time we talk about this movie and I can never get an answer, but what ruined it for me is that Cotton randomly picks Abalam out of a book at the start when he's pretending for the cameras. And then it just so happens to be perfect and everyone was worshiping that particular demon the whole time, Everyone is chanting his name at the end. I could understand if Cotton was like, guided by God or whatever but absolutely nothing he does has any effect on Nell or the demon. Just felt a bit weird to me.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I just checked out Meadowlands on Netflix. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Granted, I got really bored after the first 20 minutes and began skipping forward. The movie does the same kind of plot telegraph that I thought Bully did (As in, these kids are so obviously out of their element in trying to murder someone, it's clear from the beginning that they're going to gently caress everything up). Watch Man Bites Dog instead.

Doppelganger fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 3, 2011

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I brought this up when we discussed Last Exorcism before, but one of the things I liked was that the son actively tries to get rid of Cotton up until he discovers he is a fake. It reveals that had Cotton been legitimately trying to get rid of the demon things probably would've gone down differently.

Also, I think at the beginning when Cotton asks for directions to the farm doesn't some local say that they are Satanists or something? It is kindof an eyeroll moment so it isn't taken seriously.

I liked the ending of Last Exorcism. There is only so many places you can go with an exorcism movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Not sure if this is relevant here, but they just announced the Midnight Madness lineup for the Toronto International Film Festival. It's not all horror, but here's the horror selections:

The Incident
Alexandre Courtes, France
World Premiere
George, Max and Ricky are in a rock band and waiting for their big breakthrough. Between small gigs and rehearsals they work in the kitchen of a high-security asylum for good pay at minimum risk – they have no physical contact with the inmates. One night just before dinnertime, a big storm shuts down the security system, the doors open and the lunatics break loose. Help is on its way and should soon arrive... they just have to survive until it does.

Kill List
Ben Wheatley, United Kingdom
Canadian Premiere
Eight months after a disastrous job in Kiev left him physically and mentally scarred, ex-soldier-turned-contract-killer Jay is pressured by his partner Gal into taking a new assignment. As they track their prey, they descend into a disturbing world that is darker and more depraved than anything they experienced on the battlefield.

Livid
Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo, France
World Premiere
The directors of 2007’s Midnight Madness hit A L’Interieur (Inside) return with a twisted gothic nightmare. A young woman and her friends break into a decrepit mansion looking for treasure, only to unlock a dark secret of unspeakable horror ready to dish out bloody punishment for their greed.

Lovely Molly
Eduardo Sanchez, USA (synopsis needed)
World Premiere
When newlywed Molly Reynolds returns to her long-abandoned family home, frightful reminders of a nightmarish childhood begin seeping into her new life. She soon begins an inexorable descent into evil that blurs the lines between psychosis and possession. From the director of The Blair Witch Project.

You’re Next
Adam Wingard, USA
World Premiere
From the director-writer team that brought TIFF audiences A Horrible Way To Die in 2010 comes a new experiment in tension. A family comes under a terrifying and sadistic attack during a reunion getaway. Barricaded in their secluded country home, they have to fight off a barrage of axes, crossbows and machetes from both inside and outside the house. Unfortunately for the killers, one of the victims proves to have a talent for fighting back.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
It looks like Warner are really getting behind Final Destination 5, I've seen more advertisement and stuff for it then any of the other ones. Here's a new spoof video which is Final Destination meets Saved By The Bell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNEQAXX43g&feature=player_embedded

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Miles Fisher! That guy did a fantastic Talking Heads cover, and the video is a take on American Psycho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlLa5Zt7NEU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Slasherfan posted:

It looks like Warner are really getting behind Final Destination 5, I've seen more advertisement and stuff for it then any of the other ones. Here's a new spoof video which is Final Destination meets Saved By The Bell.

That was surprisingly funny. Haven't seen an FD movie since the first, but I'm willing to reconsider that...

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Miles Fisher! That guy did a fantastic Talking Heads cover, and the video is a take on American Psycho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlLa5Zt7NEU

You mean he did a horrible cover with a pretty good video.

gopperhopper
May 9, 2005

hey, are those my chips?
Have you guys talked about Stakeland yet? Basically a post-vampire apocalypse road movie with a dash of the Karate Kid, all made on no budget but you sure as hell can't tell. It's by the same team that did Mulberry Street (the rat one) if you remember.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gopperhopper posted:

Have you guys talked about Stakeland yet? Basically a post-vampire apocalypse road movie with a dash of the Karate Kid, all made on no budget but you sure as hell can't tell. It's by the same team that did Mulberry Street (the rat one) if you remember.

We presented that last year at the Toronto Film Festival and it won the Best of Midnight Madness Award. It's really good and features Michael Cerveris (the Observer from Fringe) in a really cool role. It's a little Zombielandish but played totally straight. Great flick.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I enjoyed Stakeland quite a bit. Hard for me not to enjoy a post apoc vampire movie. I thought the plot was creative too.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Juanito posted:

I enjoyed Stakeland quite a bit. Hard for me not to enjoy a post apoc vampire movie. I thought the plot was creative too.

Just saw it, and was very impressed. I can't even tell it's made on a budget, the gritty scenery and bleak music was top notch, the acting was decent and the plot, while slow going was great. Think of it as The Road meets a bloodier, darker Zombieland. If you are a fan of post-apocalyptic movies and/or more serious type vampires, don't hesitate to catch this one.

And man, the part with the pregnant girl was brutal. I understood why she had to die, but it was still hard to watch.

I hope they will do a sequel, they have crafted such a despairing, dreadful universe and great charactors, it would be a pity to just leave it as such.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 5, 2011

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Slasherfan posted:

I must say, I have never seen an advertisement for a horror film like that.

I especially love how the girl studying for the test is taking "caffeine pills", the default Very Special Episode drug for 80s sitcoms (because we can't have our characters on actual drugs, heavens no). The makers of this promo really know their poo poo. They should just set the whole movie in the 80s. Horror rarely messes with setting like that.

Also, it took this video to make me realize that the protagonist is :haw: West :haw: from Heroes, possibly the worst character that awful show ever had in its 2nd season trainwreck of a love story.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Goddamn I would watch the hell out of a Final Destination set in a Saved by the bell reality. Maybe something like a Pleasantville scenario where everybody is healthy and Death really has to work to get his quota.

Basically I want to see a stylised horror movie that goes from black and white Leave it to Beaver land into a bloody slashathon with 60s housewives and perfect fathers being killed by slippery kitchen floors and lawnmower blades.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Bonk posted:

I especially love how the girl studying for the test is taking "caffeine pills", the default Very Special Episode drug for 80s sitcoms (because we can't have our characters on actual drugs, heavens no). The makers of this promo really know their poo poo. They should just set the whole movie in the 80s. Horror rarely messes with setting like that.

To tie this in with a previous conversation in this thread, I think that's the girl from Frozen.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bonk posted:

They are spoofing a specific Saved by the Bell very special episode; one of the most popular ones at the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c

WentWhere
Oct 28, 2006
to the store

Darko posted:

They are spoofing a specific Saved by the Bell very special episode; one of the most popular ones at the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c

"I'M. . . . SO. . . . SCAAARED *sob*"

e: I'm now also only about 1/3 of the way through 'Noroi' and I really like it. I thought I just "didn't get" J-horror but I now realize that it wasn't because it was J-horror, it was just because the acting was ridiculous. Naturalistic acting and non-celebrity actors seem to create a much more immersive (and for me, scarier) horror film. Also, I appreciate the subtle humor. "...So he's a f---ing psycho."

WentWhere fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 6, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Noroi is entirely unlike its contemporaries.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Bonk posted:

I must say, I have never seen an advertisement for a horror film like that.

Also, it took this video to make me realize that the protagonist is :haw: West :haw: from Heroes, possibly the worst character that awful show ever had in its 2nd season trainwreck of a love story.

Nah, the worst was the scottish chick that Pete? randomly leaves in "future time" and then she never gets mentioned again.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

Local Group Bus posted:

Basically I want to see a stylised horror movie that goes from black and white Leave it to Beaver land into a bloody slashathon with 60s housewives and perfect fathers being killed by slippery kitchen floors and lawnmower blades.

While I wouldn't call it stylish or even a great film, John Water's Serial Mom does have some shinning moments, if you like Water's humor to warp that idea a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sqOGo0tglU&feature=related

I mean, I don't know what the gently caress...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9cXasof4Xg&feature=related

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
I'm glad that Noroi is getting a mention here since it's one of the most overlooked J-horror titles. It definitely has its flaws and the whole thing falls apart by the end but it did such a fantastic job at creating an unsettling atmosphere. It's actually a movie where I'd welcome a remake if it stuck to the subdued, dread-filled horror that was throughout the movie until the climax. Does anyone have any idea why this never got released in North America?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Serial Mom is both stylish and a great film.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

Serial Mom is both stylish and a great film.

it does what it does quite well, but it can be exhausting to get to the rewards at some points. You also have to enjoy John Waters movies, which for me can be trying at times.

edit: and I say that with 100% respect to the director. I have tried and tried to sink into his films, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

eckoelab fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 6, 2011

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just finished watching Stake Land and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Post-apocalyptic vampire film with a tone as serious as The Road? Sign me up! I had some problems with the climax/ending, but I understood what they were going for and commend the filmmakers for sticking to the nihilism of it all.

I'm sure the movie was made for like nothing, but I was also very impressed with the production design. I totally bought into the world. Also, is it just me, or could the actor that played Mister totally be Mickey Rourke's younger brother?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I saw the previews for Apollo 18 this weekend. I just read the last ~600 posts and didn't see it mentioned. Did I completely miss it, or has nothing been posted on here about it?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I posted about it when the first trailer got released a few months back, but no one seemed to have anything to say about it either. I'm interested in seeing it for sure.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

justlikedunkirk posted:

I'm glad that Noroi is getting a mention here since it's one of the most overlooked J-horror titles. It definitely has its flaws and the whole thing falls apart by the end but it did such a fantastic job at creating an unsettling atmosphere.

I found Noroi interesting for the opposite reason: the false-document tabloid ghosthunter show format cheapened the events even though the ghostly poo poo was unambiguously 'real'. It's akin to a highly factual true crime story told by a hack writer.

While a real show would certainly insert slow-motion replays of any ghostly footage (for example), it doesn't make much dramatic sense. It's the fictional filmmakers reviewing their actual ghost footage, and then saying "let's throw in some effects to make it better for our cheesy show". It's not comedy, but it definitely reads as satirical commentary on bad TV, intentionally or not.

Like you can tell what they were going for with the girl on the game-show being forced to perform, and how they bring the tinfoil guy on stage for a laugh, only to have him freak out. It's your usual 'toying with forces you don't understand' message. The question then becomes whether the protagonist is distinct from the exploiters or just more of the same.

The lack of ambiguity in the story points towards the latter, because he really has 'failed' to convey the true scope of what's happening, beyond a schematic, fact-based approach. He believes in the ghosts, but belief alone doesn't constitute respect. The final scene is a reversal of that, where it's suddenly intensely personal, but it's kinda stagey compared to other films in the genre.

This doesn't make the film bad, but it does make it not-too-scary.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 7, 2011

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hockles posted:

I saw the previews for Apollo 18 this weekend. I just read the last ~600 posts and didn't see it mentioned. Did I completely miss it, or has nothing been posted on here about it?

I'm also looking forward to it. The release keeps getting pushed back though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I found Noroi interesting for the opposite reason: the false-document tabloid ghosthunter show format cheapened the events even though the ghostly poo poo was unambiguously 'real'. It's akin to a highly factual true crime story told by a hack writer.

While a real show would certainly insert slow-motion replays of any ghostly footage (for example), it doesn't make much dramatic sense. It's the fictional filmmakers reviewing their actual ghost footage, and then saying "let's throw in some effects to make it better for our cheesy show". It's not comedy, but it definitely reads as satirical commentary on bad TV, intentionally or not.

Like you can tell what they were going for with the girl on the game-show being forced to perform, and how they bring the tinfoil guy on stage for a laugh, only to have him freak out. It's your usual 'toying with forces you don't understand' message. The question then becomes whether the protagonist is distinct from the exploiters or just more of the same.

The lack of ambiguity in the story points towards the latter, because he really has 'failed' to convey the true scope of what's happening, beyond a schematic, fact-based approach. He believes in the ghosts, but belief alone doesn't constitute respect. The final scene is a reversal of that, where it's suddenly intensely personal, but it's kinda stagey compared to other films in the genre.

This doesn't make the film bad, but it does make it not-too-scary.

This sounds like a double bill with The Fourth Kind.

I agree with justlikedunkirk, it's not "scary" (whatever that means) but it is certainly unsettling.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's a valid way of reading the movie but I never read into it too much (or at least at the level you're doing it). To me Noroi was just a good old fashioned ghost story told through the mockumentary/found footage format. I think Noroi actually benfits from doing the mockumentary style because that ghost hunter style of program/special is something we're all more accustomed to when seeing anything involving the supernatural. I liked the idea of having one of those corny SyFy shows actually discover something hosed up.

So right off the bat there's an angle to it that I found really involving. The inclusion of news reports, variety shows, pilots and other sources being cobbled together to start getting an overall sense of the mystery helped expand the movie's universe, and the way they did it (basically by putting a lot of detail into making everything look like legitimate sources) made it more believable. Of course I know that it's pure fiction but I think with any movie of this type there has to be some effort into making it all look real enough to stay immersed in the world the movie's presenting.

With all of those things working together I thought that Noroi really did a good job building up a sense of dread throughout the movie. The biggest problem was that all the tension didn't go anywhere when they tried (and failed) to make a sensational finale.

This sounds like a double bill with The Fourth Kind.

The Fourth Kind is a great example of how to do things in the worst way possible. That's a movie where everything about it makes no god drat sense in the way they try to pass this off as real. Every major sequence in the movie relies heavily on the 'real footage' but we still get this bizarre narrative with Milla Jovovich shoehorned in that did nothing but take me out of the movie completely. It actually could have been a lot better if they played it out like Lake Mungo instead of the piece of poo poo hybrid it turned out to be.

A better double bill with Noroi would be Ghostwatch.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Ghostwatch is awesome and I wish I'd seen it live because drat that would've been something else. Watched it on Halloween last year and I'll probably watch it again this Halloween, it's an awesome flick.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I'm finishing up a project so I decided to watch Quarantine 2 while working. It was.. uh... terrible. They were all over the place with it. In the first one, the more severe the injury it seemed that the quicker the person got infected- here, a chick got her mouth halfway bitten off and she didn't get infected til halfway through. Then it seemed like some of them were contorting all funny, bending backwards and even crawling on walls? Which was appropriate in the original movies because they were motherfucking horrifying possessed people but was just weird here. And then there were random screeching cat and rat noises. And worse yet, they set up the ending so they might have a Quarantine 3: Vegas movie!

They should have just shot the plane down :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Please stop watching the Quarantine movies. Just go watch the [rec] flicks. Please.