Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

Also my cardio has really fallen to some extremely bad limits during the past month's, should I run or just attempt boxing 10 rounds a day to up my sparring cardio? Goddamn cigarettes...

STOP SMOKING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I can't figure what happened, but I was drilling the mount to half-guard escape (with me on top) with someone and once we got into half-guard he somehow locked up my leg and my knee still hurts a couple hours later. I only started doing bjj again a few weeks ago (after like a year and a half off), but half-guard shouldn't be hurting like that, right?

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I don't know what the cause is but never train if your knees hurt. I learned this the hard way.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, my next BJJ class isn't until next week, but I'll probably take a couple days off from Muay Thai and the gym if it's still hurting. It was just unexpected since we weren't even sparring.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If people who can't judge range on their kicks don't trim their toenails, your shins will look like Jackson Pollock's easel.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

mewse posted:

STOP SMOKING

Oops forgot to add I usually don't but this summer has seen a little too much partying on my behalf. I basically never smoke when I'm sober. Which I haven't been a whole lot the past month or two ;) The question in itself was somewhat rhetorical, if I train like I do most of the year I'll be back there in no time.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Xandu posted:

I can't figure what happened, but I was drilling the mount to half-guard escape (with me on top) with someone and once we got into half-guard he somehow locked up my leg and my knee still hurts a couple hours later. I only started doing bjj again a few weeks ago (after like a year and a half off), but half-guard shouldn't be hurting like that, right?

Depending on how he locked you can do a pretty mean calf-slicer from underneath half guard. Works WAY more awesome than you would expect, too.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
There is also a very awkward knee bar that can sneak up on you. It's usually more of an accident of positioning than an intentional submission.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

There is also a very awkward knee bar that can sneak up on you. It's usually more of an accident of positioning than an intentional submission.

Doesn't it require a cup? I've never been able to get it without a cup

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's happened to me so rarely that I am really not sure. I know a guy had a cup and did it and it was pretty bad, but I cannot remember if it has ever happened cupless.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I've seen guys do the half guard kneebar in Ibjjf events and they don't allow cups.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

The doctor said it's probably just a sprained knee, might need to see an orthopedist if it doesn't get better on its own. At least two weeks off though.

I'm pretty sure he did something like this with the leg lock.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Whats a terror submission? Sounds scary.

http://i.imgur.com/HEi2g.png

VV Cool! What discipline though?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 5, 2011

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
got my first stripe tonight! two months and a shitload of sweat to get that piece of tape lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nierbo posted:

Whats a terror submission? Sounds scary.

it might be in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9eRehnMiY

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

mewse posted:

it might be in here:

Not sure what I'm looking for. Thats a hilarious vid though.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Rhaka posted:

I uh, train historical fencing at Zwaard & Steen over in Nieuwegein.

Man it's cool to see other historical fencing goons. I can't read Dutch except when it's English, so forgive me if this is explained on the site, but do you guys do the German style or Italian?

VVV: awesome.

Makrond fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 5, 2011

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
My Dutch is practically nonexistent, but it seems they mainly train in the German style, with some bits of Fiore here and there.

Also hi, I also do historical fencing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nierbo posted:

Not sure what I'm looking for. Thats a hilarious vid though.

OK well this sherdog thread says that Joe Son ran away from his opponent and verbally submitted, but they can't find any footage

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

mewse posted:

OK well this sherdog thread says that Joe Son ran away from his opponent and verbally submitted, but they can't find any footage

Oh I see. Thats a very strange way for wikipedia to report it. Thanks for the detective work!

JimmyCaladro
Apr 22, 2010

Makrond posted:

Man it's cool to see other historical fencing goons. I can't read Dutch except when it's English, so forgive me if this is explained on the site, but do you guys do the German style or Italian?

VVV: awesome.

I don't know poo poo about fencing, but I do know dutch. To add to what sniper party wrote, it seems that the long sword fencing is in German style and the dagger and unarmed fighting is Italian.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Sniper Party posted:

My Dutch is practically nonexistent, but it seems they mainly train in the German style, with some bits of Fiore here and there.

Also hi, I also do historical fencing.

Pretty much. Liechtenauer (German) longsword with Fiore's (Italian) Dagger and Abrazare (wrestling). We do other stuff as well, but our default classes don't cover it. Some I.33, messer and poleaxe, mostly.

Woo, historical fencing goons! What do you guys cover?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Warning to everyone here that ever dislocates their shoulder. Wait the goddamn 3-6 months before going back, believe me, the second dislocation is not a Rubicon you want to cross because there's no turning back till surgery. One dislocation is fine, but the second one usually leads to more.

Dislocated my shoulder, went back way too soon, dislocated it a second time at BJJ.

The third time I dislocated it by jumping in a pool.

Ten minutes ago? Dislocated by having a nap, with my hands behind my head lying on my back. That was enough to dislocate it, then having to spend an excruciating 15 minutes first getting up, with my grandma helping me, then googling the self-reduction method, till I could finally slide it back in on my own.

loving listen to your doctors and physiotherapists. You may think, oh, they dont know BJJ or MMA or whatever, so they're just being cautious. Or you think, oh I understand how I did it last time, I just will avoid putting my arm in that position. No, its not worth it. I have to wait for over a year for surgery, which will then take me another 6 months of recovery.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swagger like us posted:

Warning to everyone here that ever dislocates their shoulder. Wait the goddamn 3-6 months before going back, believe me, the second dislocation is not a Rubicon you want to cross because there's no turning back till surgery. One dislocation is fine, but the second one usually leads to more.

Dislocated my shoulder, went back way too soon, dislocated it a second time at BJJ.

The third time I dislocated it by jumping in a pool.

Ten minutes ago? Dislocated by having a nap, with my hands behind my head lying on my back. That was enough to dislocate it, then having to spend an excruciating 15 minutes first getting up, with my grandma helping me, then googling the self-reduction method, till I could finally slide it back in on my own.

loving listen to your doctors and physiotherapists. You may think, oh, they dont know BJJ or MMA or whatever, so they're just being cautious. Or you think, oh I understand how I did it last time, I just will avoid putting my arm in that position. No, its not worth it. I have to wait for over a year for surgery, which will then take me another 6 months of recovery.

This has been my experience as well from people I trained with. It really suck that you had to find for yourself

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Training makes me so happy :)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

become Emperor of Japan!

Rhaka posted:

Pretty much. Liechtenauer (German) longsword with Fiore's (Italian) Dagger and Abrazare (wrestling). We do other stuff as well, but our default classes don't cover it. Some I.33, messer and poleaxe, mostly.

We're entirely German. Our general sword work is Meyer blossfechten, mostly because it's the most 'complete' work out there at the moment in terms of explaining things, and the more sporting/duelling style looks great when we fight in front of the public. The armoured fighting draws more from Ringeck and Talhoffer though, as does our wrestling and dagger. I don't recall offhand what source our staff comes from but I'd guess Meyer as well, since a lot of it is built on the same basic roots as the swordwork and then ties back into halfswording and winding. We also do some dussack, but again I don't recall what that's sourced from.

I've been doing one class a week for about two years, although I took a six-month break for stupid personal reasons. I'm probably not as good as people who do it more days a week, especially since I can't spar or do much beside fight invisible ninjas in my backyard when I'm not at class, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it and it's fun to 'graduate' from the wasters to the Albion Liechtenauers we use for steel sparring. We cop a lot of poo poo from other groups for sparring exclusively with wooden wasters for anywhere up to two years before moving on to steel, but on the other hand they don't have nearly the same number of women who train and fight regularly, if they even let women fight, so we're clearly doing something right :v:

edit: Also we don't do a lot of thrusting or pointwork, which if the videos I've seen are any indication is sort of a mistake due to 90% of more serious fighting (competition, ARMA gradings etc) being pointwork, but at the same time it's difficult with inflexible wasters and no protective padding (we train in street clothes).

swagger like us posted:

shoulder stuff

drat that sucks dude :( I hope things get better for you, or at least not any worse.

Makrond fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 6, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Makrond posted:

(we train in street clothes)

Why do you guys train in street clothes and not in gym clothes?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Makrond posted:

edit: Also we don't do a lot of thrusting or pointwork, which if the videos I've seen are any indication is sort of a mistake due to 90% of more serious fighting (competition, ARMA gradings etc) being pointwork, but at the same time it's difficult with inflexible wasters and no protective padding (we train in street clothes).

Have you looked into getting some synthetic wasters? The Knight Shop produces some excellent nylons, if you put a steel guard on them the weight and balance is pretty close to that of a steel blade, but flexible enough to stab safely. We've been using these for the past year, and especially the Proline blades (..2011 blades, whatever they're calling them now) are excellent. I'm currently in the process of getting a Feder and hopefully moving to some more steel sparring. Also, please tell me you guys do use gloves and fencing masks.

And I have to concur, Meyer looks GREAT, but holy loving poo poo the deepness of his stance makes me want to die. Speaking of which, Dutch Rapier by Bruchius. Every drat time I manage to gently caress up my legs.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Rhaka posted:

I train at The School of European Swordsmanship in Finland. Our core syllabus is mostly based on Fiore dei Liberi's Fior di Battaglia, focusing mainly on the longsword and dagger portions of the manuscript. The wrestling, spear, and pollaxe sections are also used, though not very frequently in basic training.

Apart from Fiore, the school offers training in rapier or rapier and dagger according to Ridolfo Capo Ferro's Gran Simulacro, and sword and buckler as detailed in the Royal Armouries Manuscript I.33. Backsword and smallsword seminars are held occasionally as well.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
There was a kids judo tournament at my club so I went to watch and support our club and I was sitting behind one of the coaches from a club that had come down from up the coast. He kept talking about MMA and UFC's early days being dominated by judo guys the guy he was talking to (one of the dads whos kid was competing) replied 'yeah it still is'.
Its amazing to think that someone can live in such an idiotic close-minded bubble. I love judo as much as the next judoka but to convince myself and then try to convince others that the UFC is dominated by judo guys is just utterly crazy. He kept saying things like his doctor told him he had to lose weight but that he can't cos he's 'built like a brick poo poo house' even though the only big thing about him was his beer gut. I hate to think about the poor kids learning under someone so full of himself. Good day over all though. Kids are vicious.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

become Emperor of Japan!

niethan posted:

Why do you guys train in street clothes and not in gym clothes?

Expense and accessibility basically. The instructor loves the style and loves teaching it to people and wants to share it with as many people as possible, and one of the ways he feels he can achieve this is by training in street clothes.

Rhaka posted:

Have you looked into getting some synthetic wasters? The Knight Shop produces some excellent nylons, if you put a steel guard on them the weight and balance is pretty close to that of a steel blade, but flexible enough to stab safely. We've been using these for the past year, and especially the Proline blades (..2011 blades, whatever they're calling them now) are excellent. I'm currently in the process of getting a Feder and hopefully moving to some more steel sparring. Also, please tell me you guys do use gloves and fencing masks.

And I have to concur, Meyer looks GREAT, but holy loving poo poo the deepness of his stance makes me want to die. Speaking of which, Dutch Rapier by Bruchius. Every drat time I manage to gently caress up my legs.

Yeah, we've looked into synthetic wasters before but all the ones we've tried are way too floppy to defend properly with, and feel terrible in the bind. We might make the switch at some point if they make ones that, say, only flex in the last third of the blade or so, but as it stands wood is doing okay. For what it's worth we dont do no point stuff it's just that it has to be controlled. Generally it's more things like threatening with the point when out of range or cutting up into an unterstiche (that doesn't connect hard). I have no idea how accurate the focus on strikes instead of thrusts is.

We don't use gloves or fencing masks, but we also don't start going full speed straight away. As I mentioned, it's more the Meyer sporting/duelling style, and the focus is on not getting hit in the first place. That said all the students are really level-headed and I've never been hit hard (or hit anyone else hard) even when going at speed, except if I get my knuckles in the way of a strike somehow. When we start using steel we use gloves a lot more though, since by that point you're usually committed enough to spring for a pair of padded leather gloves, or later the steel gauntlets we wear for steel sparring at speed.

And yeah the deepness of Meyer's stances really got me when I first saw them as well, but stepping into that kind of a stance gives you a ton of reach and power, and surprisingly doesn't stick your feet to the ground as much as you'd think it would.

edit: nearly forgot to mention, we're the Marxbruder historical fightschool in Brisbane, Australia. I'd link to the site but it's down at the moment because the German Fencing Masters Academy got kind of annoyed that we managed to register the main marxbruder.com domain :v:

edit2: I also just noticed the nylon wasters you linked only flex for the last third of the blade. I'll see if we can't at least try them out :)

Makrond fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 7, 2011

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Makrond posted:

Expense and accessibility basically. The instructor loves the style and loves teaching it to people and wants to share it with as many people as possible, and one of the ways he feels he can achieve this is by training in street clothes.

Yeah, we've looked into synthetic wasters before but all the ones we've tried are way too floppy to defend properly with, and feel terrible in the bind. We might make the switch at some point if they make ones that, say, only flex in the last third of the blade or so, but as it stands wood is doing okay. For what it's worth we dont do no point stuff it's just that it has to be controlled. Generally it's more things like threatening with the point when out of range or cutting up into an unterstiche (that doesn't connect hard). I have no idea how accurate the focus on strikes instead of thrusts is.

We don't use gloves or fencing masks, but we also don't start going full speed straight away. As I mentioned, it's more the Meyer sporting/duelling style, and the focus is on not getting hit in the first place. That said all the students are really level-headed and I've never been hit hard (or hit anyone else hard) even when going at speed, except if I get my knuckles in the way of a strike somehow. When we start using steel we use gloves a lot more though, since by that point you're usually committed enough to spring for a pair of padded leather gloves, or later the steel gauntlets we wear for steel sparring at speed.

And yeah the deepness of Meyer's stances really got me when I first saw them as well, but stepping into that kind of a stance gives you a ton of reach and power, and surprisingly doesn't stick your feet to the ground as much as you'd think it would.

edit: nearly forgot to mention, we're the Marxbruder historical fightschool in Brisbane, Australia. I'd link to the site but it's down at the moment because the German Fencing Masters Academy got kind of annoyed that we managed to register the main marxbruder.com domain :v:

edit2: I also just noticed the nylon wasters you linked only flex for the last third of the blade. I'll see if we can't at least try them out :)

Do try them! They do exactly that (with the stupidly named Xtreme line being even better about the flex) and like Rhaka said the steel guard gives them some pretty drat good balance. I have one of those another nylon waster from Purpleheart Armoury and while it is awesome it has almost no give and makes thrusting pretty dangerous (weight and balance are better though).

As far as thrusts and cuts it will matter a lot more if you guys start doing a lot of work in the bind. At least with my group there is a lot more success ending with the point instead of winding to cut...depends on the people though I guess.

Also holy poo poo use fencing masks and at least leather gloves...I can't imagine not having my gear when I started going full speed and then stepping in to steel. Did it a couple times and no matter how well you can defend yourself you'll get nailed a few times. Since money is the issue maybe talk to the students and see if you can all chip in for a couple sets?

I am so happy there are other goons that do WMA. :v: I love my muay thai and BJJ but damnit swords are so much fun. :black101:

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

I'm rocking an XTREEEEME waster myself, but I stupidly got one of the rushed versions they took to Dijon, so the blade is incredibly shitfucking hard. Don't buy the claim of them being indestructible, though, saw a few breaks during the Dijon tourney. But they have basically no flop, and are excellent for binding.

Yeah, wow, I could not imagine training regularly without a mask and gloves. It's an excellent way to break your fingers or get a blade in the eye, and really not safe to do at more than 50% speed, let alone sparring. I've done some incredibly careful steel on steel sparring without gear on and it's terrifying--although it does work pretty well for not wanting to get hit, at all, ever.

I always feel a bit weird when I tell people I'm into WMA, usually people just think I'm admitting to LARPing :(

Xali
Feb 6, 2006

Hi, I'm starting uni in Aberdeen this september, wanted to know if anyone has any info on this gym: http://www.amag.org.uk/about_amag.htm
or any others for that matter; and the aberdeen MA scene in general,
thanks in advance

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Makrond posted:

Are you talking like jeans here?

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

become Emperor of Japan!

niethan posted:

Are you talking like jeans here?

Yeah. Jeans and the long-sleeved branded shirts we have.

UnholyCow posted:

Also holy poo poo use fencing masks and at least leather gloves...I can't imagine not having my gear when I started going full speed and then stepping in to steel. Did it a couple times and no matter how well you can defend yourself you'll get nailed a few times. Since money is the issue maybe talk to the students and see if you can all chip in for a couple sets?

Rhaka posted:

Yeah, wow, I could not imagine training regularly without a mask and gloves. It's an excellent way to break your fingers or get a blade in the eye, and really not safe to do at more than 50% speed, let alone sparring. I've done some incredibly careful steel on steel sparring without gear on and it's terrifying--although it does work pretty well for not wanting to get hit, at all, ever.

Honestly I can see the concern but it works out surprisngly well. We take it really easy for a long time and only go as fast as we feel comfortable. I've personally never gone to 100% speed yet, but even at 75% (or 50% steel) I feel pretty comfortable and safe and haven't been hit hard or hit anyone else hard. It's an issue of control and reading the other person I guess.

I think at higher levels we do start using a lot more protective equipment, but I think those are also more one-on-one classes, because I know that most freifechters and above have protective equipment but don't bring anything other than gloves to normal classes.

UnholyCow posted:

I am so happy there are other goons that do WMA. :v: I love my muay thai and BJJ but damnit swords are so much fun. :black101:

I agree wholeheartedly :hist101:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Makrond posted:

Yeah. Jeans and the long-sleeved branded shirts we have.

I think gym clothes simply mean clothes that you can wear doing housework or at the gym, but are too ugly/unfashionable to wear elsewhere. But what'd be wrong with training in shorts or sweatpants over relatively confining jeans?

And branded shirts?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
my 500$ hand-dyed japanese denim isn't compatible with your training methods, but i don't feel comfortable in other jeans at this stage of my life...suggestions?

boxing guys, i've been thinking about joining to your tribe and only keeping up with muay thai occasionally. which shoes would you recommend? low, mid, high..what's the difference in performance? 100$ limit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Paul Pot posted:

boxing guys, i've been thinking about joining to your tribe and only keeping up with muay thai occasionally. which shoes would you recommend? low, mid, high..what's the difference in performance? 100$ limit

i wear running shoes v:shobon:v

• Locked thread