Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
All right, that's Darwinia done. And I think it was the first RTS with a campaign mode that I actually played all the way through. That said, it's weirdly different enough from every other RTS I've tried that I don't know what that tells me about the genre.

Not that the parts that looked the most like RTS were particularly challenging. The "take out your mirror army" stage felt more like exterminate-and-colonize than a war, and I was feeling bad for them by the time I got really rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12
I just spent two days playing video games.
I felt like a kid again: Two days off from work, girlfriend out of town, and I'm on a night shift schedule so no friends or family awake to interrupt things.

I got through Runespell, Alpha Protocol, and Puzzle Agent.
None of which were actually on my Now Playing list.

Alpha Protocol is a pretty flawed game with some major failings, but the first thing I did after I beat it was start playing it again.
I don't even know why, I'm not a big fan of 3rd person stealth/shooters but holy crap the game is already playing out differently for me. It's one of the few games I have played where it feels like my choices really matter and I love it for that.
Alpha Protocol may have revived my love of RPGs.
Which is great because guess what over half of my backlog is!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Everyone said "Play as a shotgun toting rear end in a top hat" in alpha protocol. I don't know about "rear end in a top hat", but I all (good) iterations of shotguns and I want to know is it the gunplay of AP that makes people recommend it for that game?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Morter posted:

Everyone said "Play as a shotgun toting rear end in a top hat" in alpha protocol. I don't know about "rear end in a top hat", but I all (good) iterations of shotguns and I want to know is it the gunplay of AP that makes people recommend it for that game?

The gunplay of AP is pretty crappy. It takes a while for the AR to aim correctly and hit anything so its more of a sniper rifle than an actual assault rifle. The SMG can't hit anything ever. The Pistol is super overpowered for stealth gameplay but for open firefights it is not at all useful. The Shotgun is great for open firefights because you can do knockdown shots if you charge up your gun so even at range, the Shotgun can still knockdown an enemy and allow you to close in and finish them off. It's much less frustrating to play as a shotgun guy and just run around blowing people away than it is to shoot from cover and get blown apart while you wait four seconds for the reticle on your Assault Rifle to become accurate. I think the rear end in a top hat part comes because a lot of people play the good guy first time around and since almost everybody recommends Stealth/Pistols for the first playthrough, most people do that. Then the second runthrough is usually the "I'm a big jerk" run and people want to try out a combat-oriented character instead, it becomes the Shotgun rear end in a top hat run. It's also fun to roll through a level and blow away every civilian while Mina loses her mind.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bam, Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom leaves the backlog without ever entering Now Playing. There's still the bonus time-attack levels to do, though.

Unfortunately, while I was playing PBW, I was also getting the Humble Bundle mk 3.

:negative:

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

Morter posted:

I think that's mostly because the shotgun is one of the few weapons that works really well without any points, and because of the spread you can blind fire at close range and still hit your targets.

The other guns all seem, so far, to be pretty reliant on having at least a half dozen points invested in them before they really become any sort of useful - like the pistol getting the ability to focus from behind cover, and chain shot being stupidly powerful for taking down a boss.
It also felt a bit like the points I was investing didn't matter much unless they were getting or upgrading a skill on the radial.

That said, Pistols/Hand to Hand/Stealth was an amazingly fun playthrough.
I didn't even touch a shotgun until my second run, and I still only use it for crowd control.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It finally happened. With the successful conclusion of Divinity 2 and it's expansion, Jamestown, and Dawn of Discovery all finally retired to my "Completed" folder, my Completed folder is now larger than my "Incomplete" + "Not Yet Started" folders combined.

I did it. I played some games to completion.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, just beat Trine. That last level can lick my nuts, but other than that it was a fun game. The Backloggery fortune cookie gave me Civcity: Rome as the next game I should play, but I think I'll give that a pass in favor of Bioshock. I've heard lots of good things about this game so maybe it's about time I give it a shot.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
As an alternative to the Alpha Protocol Shotgun rear end in a top hat run, SMGs work great too. If anything you feel like a bigger psychopath because for every crowd of enemies you end up charging into the middle spraying bullets along the way, then you trigger Bullet Storm and get unlimited ammo for up to 16 seconds. By doing this properly, you basically end up polishing off the last enemy or two with the beginning of the storm, and then have a good dozen seconds where you're just spraying lead into everything (corpses, walls, windows, artwork, etc), because gently caress it you've got unlimited ammo and you might as well use it.

Alpha Protocol's gunplay is a bit wonky, but it's certainly not horrible, it's just easy to get a skewed perspective because of how over the top overpowered the obligatory stealth+pistols run makes you.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Man, the HIB is the worst; instant ~11 game growth. I did end up beating Limbo over that last few days. I don't know why I bother trying to beat anything, I just keep going back to StarCraft 2.

I listened to the Video Games Hotdog podcast and checked out gaikai.com. It streams games through your browser (right now there's just Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2, and Dead Space 2). It's super low res, but works virtually lag free and it's some stupid magic that scares me.

On point, it reminded me I haven't finished Mass Effect 2. I should really get on that.

Also I turned on my PS3 for the first time in months since LA Noire, realized I bought and never started Dead Space 2, Stacking, inFamous 2. Crap

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I started (re)playing Just Cause 2.. :suicide:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Eager to get Ballistic Weapons working for UT2k4's campaign, I put it in my backlog, under Masterful difficulty. I'm starting to think this is a mistake because I've just realized that the higher the difficulty is, the more they "cheat". It's not solely based on good or reactive AI...The damage levels go crazy. You do a lot less, and they all seem to start with some sort of armor/shielding. Plus, they do much more damage to you. Considering a mod is in play, this seems to make the game much more harder for me, to the point where the only way I'll win a CTF match is to hope for a single flag capture, and then have all bots and myself dedicated to defense until the round ends.

:sigh:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
PRAISE BE UNTO THE MEEK

or whatever

Anyway, I do apologize for not keeping the OP updated, however rough days at work just made me want to relax a bit. Now that work has become quieter, I'll try to keep the OP updated once a week.

Anyway, changes: I will only be accepting Backloggery or Steam profiles in the OP. I won't be keeping track of what game everyone is playing, that's what the Backloggery is for. As for this, and as a bit of housekeeping, anyone who hasn't provided a Backloggery or Steam profile link by the end of August will removed from the list in the OP

I've gone ahead and converted all "links" provided into sig divider tags that are provided by the Backloggery site, so it looks all pretty and such in the OP. If any of them are showing blank, or showing just a Username, it means they haven't added any "active" games on their profile.

I have also updated the OP with a new header image (stolen from Reddit, but nonetheless relevant), the Backloggery profile customization that Zedd provided, and ToxicFrog's Steam > Backloggery conversion script.

If there's anything I've missed, or anyones profile I've missed, please let me know.

And just to make people sure:

:siren:Anyone who hasn't provided a Backloggery or Steam profile link by the end of August will removed from the list in the OP:siren:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Finished EYE today. Goddamn what a confusing game. I think I'll get into New Vegas some more since I bought OWB today and everybody raves about it. I think I'm close to beating Vegas 2 as well so I might go for that instead.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Here's my info for Backloggery.

All empty at the moment though. Just got finished with my most recent game. Still trying to decide what to tackle next. I've been trying to get through some of the shorter games on my list lately, but considering starting up one of the longer RPGs I have in the backlog.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I decided that I hate myself and instead of playing a good game, I'm going to play through Shellshock 2: Blood Trails. Crappy controls, a 3 gun limit, glad I got this in an Eidos pack and didn't pay for it in particular. Still going to try to beat it.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

This is me.

After charging through every game I own on Steam that starts with A (Amnesia, Aquaria, Alpha Protocol, And Yet it Moves, Anomaly Warzone Earth, ARES, and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood), I started on B, finished The Ball, then got stuck and demoralized when trying to beat the last boss in Bit Trip Beat. So I sort of abandoned that idea and am working my way through all the little indie games I've picked up on the cheap. It's been pretty fun.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Here's mine. Having trouble getting myself to play games. Although Dead Space 1 with vsync fixed is a new game all on its own. :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Migishu posted:

I have also updated the OP with a new header image (stolen from Reddit, but nonetheless relevant), the Backloggery profile customization that Zedd provided, and ToxicFrog's Steam > Backloggery conversion script.

Cool. :) That's only half of it, though (the script that takes a text file of games and uploads them to backloggery). The other half is the script that reads your Steam Community profile and downloads your game list in a format that the first script can read.

Here's updated URLs for both, which will be kept up to date as I work on them:

Steam download script
Backloggery upload script

If people are actually interested in these, I may look into writing a more user-friendly interface for them. Right now they're just quick-and-dirty command line scripts.

quote:

:siren:Anyone who hasn't provided a Backloggery or Steam profile link by the end of August will removed from the list in the OP:siren:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Well, because I am a dirty dirty whore, I bought the QuakeCon Pack, and added most of them (save for the old Doom/Hexen/Keen games), but in the interest of beating back this roaring demon, I'm going to start working on my games list for real this time, starting with the plethora of indie games I have. The sig doesn't show all of it, but I'll be playing the following games:
  • Zombie Driver
  • Eufloria
  • Super Laser Racer
  • TimeShift (X360)
  • On the Rain-Precipice of Darkness, Episode 1

If there's any reason I should avoid any of these (mainly if I'll be hitting a huge difficulty spike or a snag within a game that would make it impossible/completely unenjoyable to finish), let me know.

I don't expect this topic to keep track of my progress, but I tend to write 1-2 lines of progress reports for each of my games. :shobon:

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Blackloggery is nice. I just need to check my memory card section to make my report here!

So, since the end of july I beat Darksiders and Assassin's Creed.

People were right, it was a loving chore getting to the end of Assassin's Creed. Being 14 hours in Assassin's Creed II, I now believe people saying to skip the first one.

I won't complete Assassin's Creed II but I already upgraded my villa and I'm try to buy all the items I can, find all codex, assassin tombs and Truths. That's a lot more than I can stomach on many games. It just sucks it's a console game. I'm using my Xbox 360 controller but like Darksiders, the camera move so slowly! You can't look around while sprinting since it uses your right thumb and index finger to press two buttons. I keep jumping to my death when I'm trying to follow someone (or thieves) on rooftops and I need to turn.

So, once I'm done with Assassin's Creed II, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get into Brotherhood right away. I feel like playing some RPG but that's too long, I'm working on normal titles to clear some of the backlog.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Edit: I am retarded and bad at HTTP. Disregard.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 8, 2011

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ToxicFrog posted:

Cool. :) That's only half of it, though (the script that takes a text file of games and uploads them to backloggery). The other half is the script that reads your Steam Community profile and downloads your game list in a format that the first script can read.

Here's updated URLs for both, which will be kept up to date as I work on them:

Steam download script
Backloggery upload script

If people are actually interested in these, I may look into writing a more user-friendly interface for them. Right now they're just quick-and-dirty command line scripts.

How does one use these scripts? I'm good at double clicking .exes, but that's about it. :)

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So to all the people that have developed huge backlogs: How do plan to stop continuing having this problem after you've completed your backlog?

I mean its cheaper than ever to make games, and in the future all games will probably be cheaper.

Do you foresee having a huge backlog as a forever sort of thing or do you plan to just buy the best five games every year or something so as to no longer be a fool who throws away his money at products he can buy later for less money?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chinook posted:

How does one use these scripts? I'm good at double clicking .exes, but that's about it. :)

They're only usable from the command line, so if you aren't comfortable with that, the answer is "wait a day or two while I work on the more user-friendly version".

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

Opus125 posted:

So to all the people that have developed huge backlogs: How do plan to stop continuing having this problem after you've completed your backlog?

I mean its cheaper than ever to make games, and in the future all games will probably be cheaper.

Do you foresee having a huge backlog as a forever sort of thing or do you plan to just buy the best five games every year or something so as to no longer be a fool who throws away his money at products he can buy later for less money?

It's easy to stop.
Eventually you're just too poor to increase your backlog, no matter how good the deal, because you've already spent all your money on video games. :smith:

The less depressing option comes from changes in schedule or tastes.
My backlog grew through a combination of heavy school schedules and MMOs. I kept buying games with all intention of playing them, but what little video game time I had was spent on Everquest instead.
Now that I don't play EQ anymore, and I don't have exams or homework, my game time goes towards my backlog and I can finish those games faster than they release new games I want to buy.

I already own most of the older games I want to play and they only release three or four games I consider 'must haves' each year.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ToxicFrog posted:

They're only usable from the command line, so if you aren't comfortable with that, the answer is "wait a day or two while I work on the more user-friendly version".

Awesome, thanks! I'll be patient. :)

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Opus125 posted:

Looking at my history, I got my backlog all at once because I got a computer that was seriously gaming capable after something like a ten-year hiatus. Maybe fifteen, depending on how you count. From the PS1 era up through the end of the PS2 era I just didn't do PC gaming.

Then I did a Proper Upgrade, and looked around and asked "so, what have I missed over the past 15 years?"

That, plus an indie game habit that I never really lost (and that I used to be able to keep up with), turned into a backlog a hundred strong. It also introduced me to the modern FPS and third-person non-platformer. Once I do that for RPGs (ha ha ha :suicide:) that's every genre I even slightly care about having a historical perspective on.

Opus125 posted:

Well, for that I would OH HEY LOOK ITS 12 GAMES FOR 90% OFF AND I THINK I'VE HEARD OF ONE OF THEM :w00t:

Er, that is to say. Not being the fool who throws my money at products I can buy later for less money is kinda how I got my backlog. That said, there were exactly two big-ticket games I cared about this year: Deus Ex 3, and Mass Effect 3. Even if I spot myself Portal 2 (and most likely Arkham City) I think I can restrain those.

I guess to be a lot shorter about it, "I only get to archive binge once. I should be fine."

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Opus125 posted:

This is true for indie titles, but AAA titles are taking more and more money to produce, which is likely to increase unchecked into the future, just like movies.

I think at some point I'll probably just get a game or two a year and be content with that. The game I'm picking up being like a few that are a year or two old as I'll be one of those responsible adults with adult concerns, such as welfare. :v:

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Today I broke down and bought Saints Row 2, and the Humble Indie Bundle 2 and 3 (bought on humble indie site, used steam keys) so I guess I have even more games to putz around with. Hooray!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Opus125 posted:

Huge backlog is not a problem, it's an opportunity. Spending money you didn't mean to or couldn't afford is the problem. Would you see a backlog of 500 games as problem if you didn't spend a penny to get them?

As long as I see computer gaming as one of my main hobbies I will spend a moderate amount of money in games. Since Steam runs regular sales I can keep my backlog of interesting things stocked while not spending too much. As a bonus I can more easily toss games into "crap" category. I'm sure Saints Row 2 is lots of fun but when I get 8 fps out of it, into "crap" it goes. Also not every game is meant to be completed. RTS games are multiplayer-type affairs where single player is worthless to me. Can't complete those. As far as indie games go, sampling the wealth of ideas out there is more interesting than actually completing many of the games. Zeno Clash was fun, but it was also short enough. Zombie Driver seems interesting but in reality wasn't too good. Gratuitous Space Battles was somewhat surprisingly a huge timesink while NyxQuest was crap.

If games get cheaper and we can buy hundreds of games into our backlogs in the future, all the better for us. It's the quality of those games that matters, and separating wheat from chaff is a lot easier if you can buy a bunch of stuff to try it out for yourself.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chinook posted:

Awesome, thanks! I'll be patient. :)

Here is the download, and here is the main github page. You will also need Lua for Windows to run it. (Migishu, I'd appreciate it if you could replace the link in the OP with these - the old script is entirely replaced by this.)

README.txt posted:

At the moment the only program in here that's really "release-ready" is
steam2backloggery.

To use it, just double-click on steam2backloggery.lua. It will prompt you for
the location of your Steam install - the easiest way to do this is to drag-and-
drop your steam.exe into the window and press enter. It will also ask for your
Backloggery username and password.

Once it has this information, it will download your game lists. This may take
some time depending on how many games you have, especially on Backloggery; be
patient.

Once it has the game lists, it will create a file listing all of the games it's
going to add (backloggery.txt) and launch notepad to edit it. Instructions for
editing it are included in the file. Feel free to use another editor if you
like, but don't close notepad until you're done.

When you close notepad, it will read the edited file and create entries for all
of the games listed there in your Backloggery.

==== NOTES AND LIMITATIONS ====

It won't add a game twice, so it's safe to run this whenever you get new games
on Steam.

All games are added with platform "PC" (not "Steam").

There is currently no support for Steam categories; all games default to being
added as "unfinished" regardless of which category they're in. This is planned
for a future version (along with a program to easily reorganize your Steam
categories).

It cannot distinguish between normal games, DLC, free trials, and beta tests;
all of these will show up in the list.

Related to the above, there's no way to permanently ignore a game. This too may
come in a future version.

I'm also working on some related tools; specifically:
- something for easily organizing Steam categories
- something that lets you download your Backloggery games to a text file, edit it, and apply the changes rather than going through the web interface

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 9, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

The script works great but it would be nice to have a choice if you want to dump your games in the "PC" or "Steam" backloggery catalog.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Here is the download, and here is the main github page. You will also need Lua for Windows to run it. (Migishu, I'd appreciate it if you could replace the link in the OP with these - the old script is entirely replaced by this.)

Done, and updated up to so far.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zedd posted:

The script works great but it would be nice to have a choice if you want to dump your games in the "PC" or "Steam" backloggery catalog.

Per-game, or do you think it's enough for it to just ask once which platform you'd like to use, and then put all the games into that?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I'd love to use that Steam adding tool, but it gives me this following error:

quote:

Steam location (drag-and drop steam.exe): "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.ex
e"
Couldn't read Steam directory: Couldn't find steam.exe: cannot obtain informatio
n from file `"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\/Steam.exe'

Press enter to quit...

Any idea what could be wrong?

e: apparently the script doesn't like quotes around the directory path.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 9, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Per-game, or do you think it's enough for it to just ask once which platform you'd like to use, and then put all the games into that?

Overall I think, I mean why would you split games on steam up between those two? its either everything dumped under PC, PC Downloads or STEAM.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Working on it now.

Edit: and done! Latest version will prompt you for a category to use. It also has a configuration file, steam2backloggery.cfg, which can be used to pre-configure various settings (and thus bypass the prompts).

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd love to use that Steam adding tool, but it gives me this following error:

Any idea what could be wrong?

Didn't realize that if you drag-drop a path with spaces in, it'll add quotes. I've uploaded a version that should handle this properly.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 9, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Hey, it works! Now I can use this fancy signature graphic everywhere I go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Crossing Recettear off the list (well, moving it to my 'Endless' games section). :toot: Took me 9 hours and one attempt to complete the main story without save scumming or any other trickery. I had a 'tiny' advantage since I played it in the native language a couple years ago, but that was less understanding and more random guesswork and button mashing. This game is quite fantastic and the translation is excellent.