Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

so, some of your profs allow wikipedia as a source? :ohdear:

no, none of them have (hurrah!)

idk why I said that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

fork bomb posted:

idk why I said that

maybe none of them allow wikipedia as a source and only some of them said that the references wikipedia cites might be good sources? :shobon:

fork bomb posted:

take my fives anyway

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

we're talking someone with an actual degree and certification in being a librarian.

it's called library science and it deals with the categorization and cataloging of information for which wikipedia is probably a good example in some ways

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CAT ON THE COUCH!! posted:

it's called library science and it deals with the categorization and cataloging of information for which wikipedia is probably a good example in some ways

wikipedias terrible lets make ppl manually link pages

also the loops to List of * pages suck

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-end_fortified_wine#Brands

yospos bitch:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

our network admin used to have wikipedia on the web filter blacklist a few years ago. i had a librarian complaining about this to me for like five minutes because "wikipedia is the future" or some such poo poo. we're not just talking about some classified-position book janitor here, we're talking someone with an actual degree and certification in being a librarian.

Library sciences is cool as hell

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fork bomb posted:

no, none of them have (hurrah!)

idk why I said that

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

the Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine

also,

Cisco branded hot sauce swag, which im sure by now is like 108% vinegar

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nevergirls posted:

Library sciences is cool as hell

i'm not slamming on librarians or studying to be a librarian, what i'm slamming on is someone getting irl mad that we wouldn't let kids go to wikipedia on school computers

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

i'm not slamming on librarians or studying to be a librarian, what i'm slamming on is someone getting irl mad that we wouldn't let kids go to wikipedia on school computers

It is quite useful to students though- nobody should be doing research on wikipedia but it isn't a bad first place to go for expanded background information. Like if a student were writing a book report on something from the Age of Sail it'd be a pretty good source for them to go to to try to make sense of all the loving crazy sailing terms in a short amount of time. Wikipedia is pretty terrible but there really isn't a legitimate reason to be blocking it on a network being used for educational purposes.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

"hmm i really like that site bumwine let's see if we can make a wikipeida article out of it" --somebody who doesn't get the joke

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Wikipedia owns

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

so, some of your profs allow wikipedia as a source? :ohdear:

Next time you write a paper I'm gonna improve a wikipedia article by citing one of the same sources and then your paper will get an F

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Wikipedia is good for learning from, bad for using in work, papers whatever

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Carrier posted:

Wikipedia is good for vandalizing and trolling, bad for anything even remotely serious

fixed

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

that awful man posted:

take my fives anyway

watching in slow motion as you turn to me and say

~take my fives away~

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Carrier posted:

Wikipedia is good for learning from, bad for using in work, papers whatever

good for learning from on certain subjects. i wouldn't try to learn from it on the israel-palestine conflict but I would have no problem learning from the maths articles. or looking up episodes of the simpsons, either of the two.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the maths articles aren't great for learning from. most of them are impenetrable walls of formulae

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Sweevo posted:

the maths articles aren't great for learning from. most of them are impenetrable walls of formulae
it's an encyclopedia not a learning guide!! -official wikipedia rule

for some reason articles related to computers tend to have tons of stupid loving guides

(i wish wikipedia was good for math because i am truly a product of the american education system :smith:)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i actually learned group theory from wikipedia :v:

Wit_sponge
Dec 29, 2008

FUUUCK
lecturer said "Use Wikipedia as much as possible"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Wit_Sponge posted:

lecturer said "Abuse Wikipedia as much as possible"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

also

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexspeak

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar
this because i wrote it and im poo poo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertex_Buffer_Object

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_your_own_dog_food

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
In 2009, the new CIO of Microsoft, Tony Scott, argued that the phrase "dogfooding" was unappealing and should be replaced by "icecreaming", with the aim of developing products as "ice cream that our customers want to consume."

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Ate some dog ice cream over the weekend, peanut butter and cheese flavored. While I did detect some peanut butter-ish flavor, that poo poo was nasty. Absolutely no attempt to make it palatable for humans

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

In 2009, the new CIO of Microsoft, Tony Scott, argued that the phrase "dogfooding" was unappealing and should be replaced by "icecreaming", with the aim of developing products as "ice cream that our customers want to consume."

microsoft.txt

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

and it was about as successful as "blogcasting"

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Nevergirls posted:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

should we call them "netbooks" like everybody else, or should we call them "portable PCs with a DVD/CD drive"? hmm

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

duTrieux posted:

should we call them "netbooks" like everybody else, or should we call them "portable PCs with a DVD/CD drive"? hmm

essentials, live, etc you know the drill

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Nevergirls posted:

lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

you don't know the half of it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Q: Is this called Kinectimals, Kinectimals Gold or Kinectimals Now with Bears?

A: Kinectimals Gold is an internal code name only that signifies that this is an extended release of the original Kinectimals game. The legal title of this game is still Kinectimals. However, due to legal reasons and in an effort to avoid confusion with consumers we are differentiating this sku internally and in retailer systems by referring to it as Kinectimals Now with Bears! and messaging it as the Kinectimals Extended Release with Bears. This is not a subtitle but simply call out text.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux posted:

Kinectimals Extended Release with Bears.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows phone now with mangoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sappy Fingers
Jun 16, 2006

vlc owns sorry wrongs

duTrieux posted:

Q: Is this called Kinectimals, Kinectimals Gold or Kinectimals Now with Bears?

A: Kinectimals Gold is an internal code name only that signifies that this is an extended release of the original Kinectimals game. The legal title of this game is still Kinectimals. However, due to legal reasons and in an effort to avoid confusion with consumers we are differentiating this sku internally and in retailer systems by referring to it as Kinectimals Now with Bears! and messaging it as the Kinectimals Extended Release with Bears. This is not a subtitle but simply call out text.
no matter how many times i read this i can't figure out what the hell it's talking about lmao